PDA

View Full Version : We need to build our team around Andy Reid

DmanDmythDledge
08/09/2007, 9:51 PM
Agree with that and almost everyone except Stan seems to see that. Hopefully he will give into pressure from media and fans like he did re Carsley. Also bit harsh saying Steven Reid flopped as he did excellent the only time he played centre mid for Ireland.

Condex
08/09/2007, 11:54 PM
Yeah, keep on drinkin!!

brine3
09/09/2007, 12:03 AM
andy reid, right...

you'd think he's maradona the way people are going on about him.

Philly
09/09/2007, 12:12 AM
A team built around a Championship player ain't going to qualify for anything, c'mon like.

DmanDmythDledge
09/09/2007, 12:19 AM
A team built around a Championship player ain't going to qualify for anything, c'mon like.
That's just stupid.

bellavistaman
09/09/2007, 12:40 AM
Takes a world class player to have a team built round him sadly andy reid is not one. Tonight i think Kilbane should have been LB, Hunt LM Reid RM.

cobra
09/09/2007, 12:47 AM
He would be useful for a wall at a free kick..would need nobody else in the wall:D
But seriously, would not build team around him but i thought that game tonight was not that hectic and would have suited him with half hour to go..At least he has ability to make a killer pass as our 2 forwards could have run all night but who was going to give them that final good ball

Supreme feet
09/09/2007, 2:43 AM
Andy Reid is great 'in the hole', where he can pick the ball up in advanced positions and pick out a killing pass... That's why he excels against poor teams. He's like the finished article of what Stephen McPhail could have been.

However, he is now a luxury player for a mediocre club. A modern-day Alan McLoughlin, if you like. He could be so much more, but I still wouldn't dream of building an Irish team around him. The last two major championships have shown that only players with physique, fitness, ability to read the game and a hard work-ethic can prosper at international level, in this modern age.

As an aside, having watched England today, I don't think that they even have midfielders to fit that description. (Gerrard can't read the game. Spent the whole game punting hopeful long balls and running away whenever Barry needed a simple option. Comical.)

Stuttgart88
09/09/2007, 7:42 AM
Maybe I'm in denial but I maintain that there's nothing wrong with this team that a good physical central midfield wouldn't sort out immediately.

If only we had someone like this

http://www.moyleparkppfc.com/images/garvan.jpg

I'm a long way from being convinced by Potter, but he's composed and links play well. Carsley only did this in patches from what little detail I can actually recall from the game.

I can't believe a PROVEN impact sub (Hunt) was ignored. I actually thought the Gibson substitution was OK so I won't be a hypocrite and complain in hindsight. We needed something different in the middle and maybe more physical than Reid. However, Reid for Ireland was the obvious one.

I think the murphy / Doyle substitution was just for the sake of wasting a bit of time. I always hate that move, it disrupts rhythm and only delays the end of the game. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

sonofstan
09/09/2007, 9:22 AM
Norrn iron have had a fair run depending on Healy (I know he's not a championship player any more)

Lionel Ritchie
09/09/2007, 9:39 AM
Norrn iron have had a fair run depending on Healy (I know he's not a championship player any more)

He's also a striker with a dead eye for goal.

I don't think you can or should "build a team around" a particular player. In international football you have to play the hand you're dealt and that invariably involves simple enough systems with players slotting into them. If you build a team around one player you're screwed when he gets injured and then you have to ask another player to modify his game.

carloz
09/09/2007, 9:57 AM
Andy Reid gives us something nobody else in the squad does. I have said it already but after Dunne and Given he should have been the third man on the teamsheet. He always seems to bring the best out of Robbie and im fairly sure the opposing teams would no little about him. But then it would be too easy for Stan to simply pick our most creative player

Irish_Praha
09/09/2007, 10:37 AM
I don't agree that we should build the team around him but he should be in our starting 11 for sure. I can't really comment on the game last night because I didn't get a chance to see it, was the pitch slow because of the rain? If so maybe Stan didn't want to risk a MF with McGeady, Ireland and Reid. Those 3 together would probably be a risk on a decent pitch too. I can understand Ireland, our top scoring MF player, starting and it looks like McGeady's decent performance against the Danes had Stan blinded in the spotlights like a little rabbit, and Reid was the one to lose out, although he also put in a good performance against the Danes.
Anyway it was discussed on another thread here that it was a difficult choice decide on which 2 from Reid, McGeady and Ireland should start. However, I think that is a great luxury to have because if one of the two player you do decide to start with is not performing, you have a capable player to come off the bench as a straight swap, which is what should have happened last night i.e. Reid for McGeady early in the second half.

Reid to start instead of McGeady on Wednesday please.

backstothewall
09/09/2007, 3:17 PM
Andy Reid is to fat, to unreliable, and to injury prone to build a team around. How can you build a team around someone when they are likely to miss every other game. He can play a bit, but so can Ireland, and i don't see either of them as being anywhere close to Stephen Reid when he returns

eekers
09/09/2007, 3:39 PM
i think the idea of building a team around anyone is ridiculous - no one should be put on a level above anyone else.
the team should be a team - with competition for places.

andy reid is 25.
Has achieved nothing in the game.
Looks good when playing at championship level.
Is unfit.

and yet still should probably get in the team ahead of mc geady.

but surely stephen ireland is a better long term prospect for the centre than reid is

tricky_colour
09/09/2007, 4:39 PM
You need someone with a bit of weight to anchor the team in the centre.
Step forward Andy Reid.

carloz
10/09/2007, 4:50 PM
As i have pointed out before he spent a certain amount of time at a health Spa during the summer to improve his fitness. IMO he looke much leaner now than he ever has. He played few games for charlton last year yet Pardew has the belief in him to make him captain and sole playmaker. Roy Keane could have done worse than sign him instead of muppets like Kieran richardson and Andy Cole

Ordinary Fan
10/09/2007, 11:14 PM
Reid should be in the team as he is one of the few available who can pass the ball. But you need someone to win the ball as well. Carsley is the only player available to do that at the moment.