PDA

View Full Version : Crowe in new Ireland Squad

Troy.McClure
17/04/2003, 1:20 PM
Crowe called into squad (http://www.fai.ie/FAI/Welcome+to+the+FAI%21.htm) - 17 April 2003

Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr has called up Bohemians' striker Glen Crowe for the friendly international against Norway on April 30 at Lansdowne Road.

Crowe - the eircom League top goal scorer for the last three seasons - wins a recall after recovering from a knee injury that he picked up just before Christmas which kept him out of the last month of the eircom League season. Having regained his fitness during pre-season training with Bohemians, and scoring in the Gypsies' League opener against UCD last Friday, he now returns to the squad after an impressive debut against Greece in November.

The 25-year-old is well known to Kerr having been involved in Kerr's underage teams and was a member of the Republic of Ireland Youth squad that finished third in the World Youth Championships in Malaysia in 1997.

"Difficulties have emerged with regard to players' fitness and match sharpness for international fixtures outside the new eircom League season. I am hoping that Glen has kept himself in good condition during his enforced absence to be in almost top shape against UCD when he scored the only goal of the game," Kerr said.

Also included in the 24-man panel are Alan Quinn (Sheffield Wednesday) and Alan Lee (Rotherham), both of whom earned late call-ups to the squad for the games in Tbilisi and Tirana. The pair are the only uncapped players in the squad as Kerr largely sticks to the same players he has selected for his three previous games.

Missing are injured trio, Clinton Morrison (Birmingham City), Steven Reid (Millwall) and Jason McAteer (Sunderland) while Steve Finnan (Fulham), Gary Kelly (Leeds United) and Ian Harte (Leeds United) are all back in the squad after being forced to withdraw from the panel for the last two games.

The game will be Kerr's first home game as senior international manager and he believes that Norway will provide a stern test ahead of the restart of the Euro 2004 qualifiers in June.

"Norway have started very well in the Group Two Qualifiers, heading the group above Denmark. They have players who are familiar to us from British football like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (Manchester United) as well as John Carew of Valencia. They will provide a stiff test for us but with it being my first home game I will be hoping for a good performance and a win.

"It's a great game for us to have in the build-up to our vital home games in June with Albania and Georgia. I hope we will have a big crowd at the game to really get behind the team after three successive away games."

Squad:
Colgan (Hibernian), Given (Newcastle United), Kiely (Charlton Athletic), Carr (Tottenham Hotspur), Harte (Leeds United), O'Shea (Manchester United), O'Brien (Newcastle United), Breen (West Ham United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Kelly (Leeds United), Finnan (Fulham), Carsley (Everton), Healy (Celtic), Holland (Ipswich Town), Kinsella (Aston Villa), Quinn (Sheffield Wednesday), Kilbane (Sunderland), McPhail (Leeds United), Duff (Blackburn Rovers), Crowe (Bohemians), Connolly (Wimbledon), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Lee (Rotherham), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur).

colster
17/04/2003, 2:01 PM
Don't know too much about Crowe.
It'll be interesting to see how he plays.
It's always a good sign when a player can score in European competition away from home.

I'm going to the game. looking forward to it.

sadloserkid
17/04/2003, 2:39 PM
Fair play to him. I'd hate to see him stuck as a one-cap wonder so hopefully he'll get a few minutes at least.

A face
17/04/2003, 3:01 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
Fair play to him. I'd hate to see him stuck as a one-cap wonder so hopefully he'll get a few minutes at least.

Yeah .... To be honest, after Connelly's attitude ... i reckon play Crowe before him all the time.

Connelly ... now theres a one game wonder for ya !!

sadloserkid
17/04/2003, 3:03 PM
Originally posted by A face
Yeah .... To be honest, after Connelly's attitude ... i reckon play Crowe before him all the time.

Connelly ... now theres a one game wonder for ya !!

Yeah and that game was against Liechtenstein or somebody like that... :rolleyes:

The Sheliban
17/04/2003, 3:08 PM
...am I the only one who thinks this whole thing is a wee bit patronising to the eL fans. Pick him for meaningless friendlies as a sop to the NL brigade, but don't pick him for competive matches, when there's a lot at stake.
Was McCarthy's stance not a lot more honest?

A face
17/04/2003, 3:58 PM
Originally posted by The Sheliban
...am I the only one who thinks this whole thing is a wee bit patronising to the eL fans. Pick him for meaningless friendlies as a sop to the NL brigade, but don't pick him for competive matches, when there's a lot at stake.
Was McCarthy's stance not a lot more honest?

I know ... pride is hurting an'all

But lads .... think about it ...... it has to start somewhere, i dont like tokenism as much as the next fella but it needs to start from somewhere. And to be honest .... i dont care where .... it is where it finishes that i am worried about, I would like to see at least 4-5 eL players making the squad on merit, thus raising the standard of the domestic league.

Think about it .... If you have got Glen Crowe thinking that he is in with a shout if his game is of good enough standard then that is one player playing his guts out on the park to ensure his place, that is where it is sucessful and this is what we need.

The nuts and bolts of the system is players playing out of their skins and deserving a game. If the domestic league can then become good enough to sustain this standard and keep these players at home (unless they get an honest price for them) AND the very least to have made it through the system here unlike John O'Shea who didn't even see the inside of the RSG in Waterford. Thats where it makes a difference.

pete
17/04/2003, 4:33 PM
I don't see it patronising at all.

Debatable if he would ahve been picked last time but Crowe was unfit for the last 2 internationals plus was in pre-season training so really no chance of getting picked.

Realistically Crowe will not get in the irish squad unless if all players fit. There is nothing wrong with that since the same can be said of Alan Quinn, McPhail & Alan Lee.

From his actions to date it would appear Kerr does not rate Connolly although hard to see him putting crowe ahead of him no matter what i might think. Alan Lee was banging the goals in early this season but think he has added very few to that tally in recent months so crowe probably has a good a chance as him.

Reality also dictates there is currently no players besides Crowe in the eL good enough for the irish squad.

foureyes
17/04/2003, 4:58 PM
Even if it is patronising (which I dont think it is) its a good thing. The EL brigade as you call it is hardly a very powerful force within the FAI anyway.

Its good because:

- it will show other players that if they do really well in the EL they have a chance of a call up.

- if he plays and scores people will clamour to have in in the next competitive squad

- raises the profile of the game here

bitored
17/04/2003, 4:58 PM
unlike John O'Shea who didn't even see the inside of the RSG in Waterford
and why is that a problem? Is that O'Shea's fault - somehow I don't think so

A face
17/04/2003, 5:35 PM
Originally posted by bitored
and why is that a problem? Is that O'Shea's fault - somehow I don't think so

I wasn't finger pointing ,merely saying that it should not happen that a player of this quality doesn't contribute to the system before he leaves to go across the water. If you disagree pleasse say so and i'll know not to continue this debate.

But basically my point is that there should be a policy agreed on by all clubs at all levels of the game here to try and retain youth in the system, and not selling young lads for a crap price so no one benifits here.

foureyes
17/04/2003, 6:46 PM

But basically my point is that there should be a policy agreed on by all clubs at all levels of the game here to try and retain youth in the system, and not selling young lads for a crap price so no one benifits here.

I can see your point but if players really want to go what can be done? Also, these crap prices are still a lot of money to clubs like waterford.

Having said that there is this 'I won't stand in their way' attitude amongst league clubs, which I dont think should be adopted if they are 'standing in the way' of players moving to division 2 and 3.

el insider
18/04/2003, 8:14 PM
i think its deadly for the league to have him on the sq uad.if he was to score it might make people curious and they might decide to come to el games to see if there is any other talent.besides the el need sumthin to pull ppl to grounds after the disaster on tv3 last saturday.

A face
18/04/2003, 10:50 PM
Squad for Norway game announced

Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr has revealed his squad for the forthcoming friendly match with Norway on April 30 with the return of Glen Crowe being the biggest surprise.

The Bohemians striker made his international debut against Greece in November, when Don Givens was in temporary charge, but a knee injury ruled him out of the more recent squads.

Crowe returned to action for the league champions last weekend, and promptly scored the winner against UCD in the opening round of matches of the eircom League’s first summer season.

Steve Finnan, Ian Harte and Gary Kelly all return following injury while Jason McAteer, Steve Reid and Clinton Morrison have still not recovered from their respective injuries.

The panel of 24 is:

Goalkeepers: Nick Colgan, Shay Given, Dean Kiely.

Defenders: Stephen Carr, Ian Harte, John O’Shea, Andy O’Brien, Gary Breen, Gary Kelly, Kenny Cunningham, Steve Finnan.

Midfielders: Lee Carsley, Colin Healy, Matt Holland, Mark Kinsella, Alan Quinn, Kevin Kilbane, Stephen McPhail.

Forwards: Damien Duff, Glen Crowe, David Connolly, Gary Doherty, Alan Lee, Robbie Keane.

www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/euro2004/story.asp?newsid=5038)

John83
22/04/2003, 11:15 AM
Forwards: Damien Duff, Glen Crowe, David Connolly, Gary Doherty, Alan Lee, Robbie Keane.

www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/euro2004/story.asp?newsid=5038)

:mad: Duff isn't a forward :mad:

Niamh_GalwayGal
22/04/2003, 10:13 PM

The young lads benefit. In my opinion John O Shea doe more for Irish soccer playing in the Champions League than he would playing in the EL.

As for the whole Glen Crowe debate - and dont get me wrong, i'm an El-er, i follow (frustratedly) Galway utd - the basic fact is that if he was as good as David Connolly, he'd be playing in the first division. Sin é. You can't argue with it, you think Wimbeldon came calling and glen said "No thanks"?

Said it before and I'll say it again - the irish begrudery surrounding the whole "EL supporters are the only true Irish soccer fans, you English scum" thing is annoying, does anyone else agree? I love the EL but does that mean I can't support Steven Carr or Duffer as well? I dont support glory hunting teams, i support the Irish in england - i'd pay more any day of the week to see Wolves than Arsenal. Does that make me English?
Jeez long post. Me fingernails r knackered

gustavo
22/04/2003, 10:18 PM
yeah but the Glen of three years ago is obviously not as good as the Glen today . it is possible for players to improve you know and his abilitly shouldnt be indicated by the fact that 3 years ago he didnt make it in England.

Niamh_GalwayGal
22/04/2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
yeah but the Glen of three years ago is obviously not as good as the Glen today . it is possible for players to improve you know and his abilitly shouldnt be indicated by the fact that 3 years ago he didnt make it in England.
indeed but would other clubs not still notice now? im sure spurs would love havin him if he's that fantastic. gonna be a lot of pressure on him now in the norway game methinks. poor glenn

gustavo
22/04/2003, 10:26 PM
i agree with u about the pressure. im sure bohs would reject anythintg but a very substansial bid for glen which the elgish clubs probably wouldnt be willing to pay due to their financial situation and their negative view of the league,

John83
23/04/2003, 9:11 AM
Originally posted by gustavo
i agree with u about the pressure. im sure bohs would reject anythintg but a very substansial bid for glen which the elgish clubs probably wouldnt be willing to pay due to their financial situation and their negative view of the league,

It will all depend on the internationals. If Robbie Keane walked into Hoddle's office after the Norway game, in which Crowe had scored a hat-trick, and said "Gaffer, ye should see dis bloke Glen Crowe. He's f****** great", don't you think Hoddle'd be tempted to spend £750,000 on him?

sadloserkid
23/04/2003, 9:13 AM
Hoddle? He's a contrary git at the best of times so he probably wouldn't... I agree with your point though.