PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Little Fingers

sligoman
06/09/2007, 10:07 PM
Heard of these a while back but only recently getting into them. Alternative Ulster and Suspect Device are my favourites. Any fans of them here?

SligoBrewer
06/09/2007, 10:10 PM
mise..

inflammable material is a must listen in my book

the 12 th man
07/09/2007, 6:44 AM
Heard of these a while back but only recently getting into them. Alternative Ulster and Suspect Device are my favourites. Any fans of them here?

Some of their old stuff was top notch in its day but sounds a bit dated when you give it a re-listen.
I was a big fan of Jake Burns :cool:.

http://www.myspace.com/jakeburnsslf

Magicme
07/09/2007, 8:14 AM
I loved them growing up. Also That Petrol Emotion.

GuisaSaigon
07/09/2007, 8:39 AM
Mad into them years ago, used to listen to inflammable material over and over.

bennocelt
07/09/2007, 10:55 AM
one of my favs.............
have ye guys ever heard the song "White noise"..........it can appear to be very racist but is actually very ironic..............

Neish
07/09/2007, 12:12 PM
One of my fav bands and with out question the best Irish band ever IMO.

Love 78 RPM & No change

Marked Man
07/09/2007, 2:44 PM
The follow-up to Inflammable Material --Nobody's Heroes--is also very good (though not in the same league as IF).
They have an excellent "best of" compilation entitled "All the Best," which includes a lot of good singles/b-sides that didn't make their way onto any albums.

After that, most of their albums have several good songs, but the overall quality is a bit weak.

Joe Strummer
09/09/2007, 8:27 PM
The last album Guitar and Drum is very good, first five songs are Class, Had a few dodgy albums over the last 10 years or so, but still a brilliant live band.

Went to see the 30th anniversary gig 4/5 months ago and they played the whole of Inflammable material, one of the best gigs I have seen in years. Also great to see Ali McMordie back playing the bass with them.

They have a DVD of the Belfast gig from this year coming out at the end of the month.

Jake Burns must be one of the most underrated songwriters ever. As Neish said the best Irish band EVER!!!

Woody
12/09/2007, 11:27 AM
The early stuff especialy Inflamable Material was great. I was delighted as a kid to get to see them in my home town during Feile 93. Last time I saw them was in Dublin in some place on Wexford st(?) about 12 years ago.

Joe Strummer
12/09/2007, 12:33 PM
That would have been the Mean Fiddler(Now The Village). Seen them a few times in that place and each time they were brilliant.

Have seen the band live around 15 times since 94 and each time they just get better and better. :D

Joe Strummer
12/09/2007, 12:48 PM
Here is a song from the last album Guitar And Drum :cool:

Walking Dynamite
http://homepage.eircom.net/~hoops/SLF.mp3

DaveyCakes
12/09/2007, 11:04 PM
I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and the DJ played Alternative Ulster at about 1:00.

Would have preferred Suspect Device, but it was fun...