PDA

View Full Version : An idea

LFC in Exile
17/04/2003, 10:21 AM
A post on the message board got me thinking. It was asking about the best players ever for each club.

Why not try to get a best team for Limerick to raise profile in the city. The club was founded in 1937 so last year was the 65th anniversary of the club. So who were the best players to play senior soccer in Limerick in the last 65 years?

So why not try to get a team together of the all-time greats. It could be run through the Echo, Post or Leader. Put a voting slip in and people fill it in and send it back. The radio could also get involved. Players could come from any era. It could be run by the 'Supporters Club' who could use this to get people to join. Also, it would create a clear link between the current team and the past, something missing in peoples' perceptions.

I'd be happy to work on this with someone - but it would need to be someone based in Limerick I'd say.

Below is some of the players that could be on it. (Paul Finucane is there to represent the current crop). This is obviously affected by my age and the players I have seen. Although Andy McEvoy is there because my father spent many years telling me that McEvoy was the greatest ever.

Kevin Fitzpatrick (Snr)

Paul Finucane, Al Finucane, Ray O'Halloran, Deckie Daly

Gary Hulmes, Eoin Hand, Ken DeMange, Johnny Walsh

Des Kennedy, Andy McEvoy

Others: Billy Hamilton, Steve O'Flynn, Pat O.Mahoney, John Power, Pat Nolan, Bud Ahearne, Gerry Duggan

Any ideas or thoughts from anyone? Is it an idea to float to Mr O'Sullivan on Friday or could we run it ourselves?

sadloserkid
17/04/2003, 10:55 AM
I'd say run it ourselves LFCIE. We can discuss it on Friday after the match for a bit? We're hoping to try and get the Supporters Club off the ground afterwards too so maybe you could print out a copy of that draft constitution you sent me? See you there!

LFC in Exile
17/04/2003, 11:28 AM
Will do.

Will the bar be open?

sadloserkid
17/04/2003, 11:30 AM
Hmmm... on good Friday... I dunno actually. Anybody else able to help?

JohnD
17/04/2003, 11:47 AM
Bar will be open..heared from the Matrix guy outside the Fairview match last sunday..knock on the door..Shh!! Dont tell anybody...See ye up ther lads :p

deise deserter
19/04/2003, 2:06 PM
Sounds like a really good idea - would be great PR for the club. I agree that we should do it not the committee - purely for purposes of impartiality! LOL

Are you coming up for the game on Thursday - I think a short chat about the Supp Club would be a good idea - need to get the ball rolling.