PDA

View Full Version : Club songs

WoodquayBoy
06/09/2007, 7:07 AM
Or at least songs clubs, and club supporters, associate with.
I was listening to Ian Dempsey this morning and the 'wake up' song was Build Me Up Buttercup, and much as I am embarrassed to say it, the first two things that popped into my head were Shallow Hal and Shamrock Rovers.
Are there any other clubs that have a particular song they associate with? And not the stupid Fileds of Athenry, everyone from United fans to Munster rugby bandwagon jumpers trot that out these days, I mean a song unique to a particular club that is played at every home match without fail, and song by the fans on the road too?

btid1
06/09/2007, 8:32 AM
"Hold me now" by the legend that is Johnny Logan for Bohs anyway as well as Bohemian Like You and Bohs Man being the others!!

SunderlandBohs
06/09/2007, 8:46 AM
Bohs Man, to the tune of Soul Man. Quite good considering most songs like that are really crap.

hooper1524
06/09/2007, 9:25 AM
In all fairness all three of the above named Bohs songs are muck. All bias aside, I mean what is with Bohs and Johnny Logan, he is crap, his songs are crap. Maybe there is a theme emerging here that Bohs relate i.e. crap.

Da Real Rover
06/09/2007, 9:41 AM
We were born in the showgrounds, A man from bognor regis and a woman from the city. All songs iv never heard from other fans, and all firm favourites in the showgies.

biscuit
06/09/2007, 10:18 AM
i think i heard some where that the "we were born in the showgrounds" tune was actually a reword of a loyalist song?!?!?! :eek::eek:
not sure tho!:confused:

Da Real Rover
06/09/2007, 10:42 AM
i think i heard some where that the "we were born in the showgrounds" tune was actually a reword of a loyalist song?!?!?! :eek::eek:
not sure tho!:confused:

Just to the same tune, but the words have no similarity, like the 'the only good tadhg is one with a bullet in its back'.

btid1
06/09/2007, 11:00 AM
In all fairness all three of the above named Bohs songs are muck. All bias aside, I mean what is with Bohs and Johnny Logan, he is crap, his songs are crap. Maybe there is a theme emerging here that Bohs relate i.e. crap.

Yes good lad...I guess its a fair cop...we chose Johnny Logan because we are crap!The song is totally reflective of our view of our team.

And the reason we chose Bohemian Like You and reworked Soul Man to Bohs Man is also because we are crap its actually nothing to do with the striking similarities in the names of the songs and the name of the football club!!

Can I also take this opportunity to compliment you on your choice of "Build me up Buttercup" as your club song which is of course not at all crap!!

Magicme
06/09/2007, 11:02 AM
Well one that I play every game and try to have it ready for team coming onto the pitch is Hard Fi's "Hard to Beat".

I particularly love the:
"Goodness No, I've never known a night like this
Can't believe it, you're so hard to beat
Hard to beat"
bit but have also been tryin to get the kids to change the words slightly of the chorus from
"You know I love ya, just wanna touch ya
Stand up, knock me right off my feet
Hard to beat
Hard to beat
Hard to beat"

To "Mons we love ya, no one can touch ya, stand up, get on your feet they're Hard to beat" etc.

Also have gotten the kids at the club to sing "His name is banana b-a-n-a-n-a" to Hollaback Girl for our goalie.

biscuit
06/09/2007, 11:38 AM
never heard mons fans singing in fairness magicme?:(

sadloserkid
06/09/2007, 11:45 AM
We tend to sing (maybe chant is a better word? :confused:) the birdie song when we're a goal up and time is running short. Hasn't failed us yet.

hooper1524
06/09/2007, 11:48 AM
[quote=btid1;765042]Yes good lad...I guess its a fair cop...we chose Johnny Logan because we are crap!The song is totally reflective of our view of our team.
quote]
In fairness it must have been difficult for you to admit this publicly but I admire your honesty. And again you are right, Build me up butter is indeed a classic. Rovers fans after going through our many musical encylopedias and numerous EGM's of our Poetic Recital Committee decided that the lyrics of this song best mirrored the fortunes of our club and how we feel sometimes on that emotioal rollercoaster that is supporting the wonderous Shamrock Rovers. I can't help wondering that you may be following the wrong club. Our membership is always open. :D

Magicme
06/09/2007, 12:10 PM
never heard mons fans singing in fairness magicme?:(

True, but am trying to change that by engaging the group of young lads who have started coming to our games.

michaelguineys
06/09/2007, 12:57 PM
Everytime i hear "Baby Give it Up" by KC and the Sunshine Band i think of City and Roy O Donovan.
We used to sing it for him " na na na (etc etc!!) Roy O'Donovan, Donovan, Roy O'Donovan"
Few people have tried to adapt it to Gareth Farelly now that roy is gone!

The Ring of Fire reminds me of City too, used sing it for Kevin Doyle.

And everytime I hear the Fields of Athenry I just sing the Fields of Bishopstown!

michaelguineys
06/09/2007, 12:58 PM
[quote=btid1;765042]Yes good lad...I guess its a fair cop...we chose Johnny Logan because we are crap!The song is totally reflective of our view of our team.
quote]
In fairness it must have been difficult for you to admit this publicly but I admire your honesty. And again you are right, Build me up butter is indeed a classic. Rovers fans after going through our many musical encylopedias and numerous EGM's of our Poetic Recital Committee decided that the lyrics of this song best mirrored the fortunes of our club and how we feel sometimes on that emotioal rollercoaster that is supporting the wonderous Shamrock Rovers. I can't help wondering that you may be following the wrong club. Our membership is always open. :D

What have ye changed the words to?
Ive neevr heard ye sing it

Dr.Nightdub
06/09/2007, 1:03 PM
Sam & Dave never sang "Bohs Man". Trust me on this one.

btid1
06/09/2007, 1:06 PM
Sam & Dave never sang "Bohs Man". Trust me on this one.

No but Lar Rogan's band re wrote the tune to sing Bohs Man.Its actually Id saw one of the only dedicated songs in the league to a football club?!!

londonhoop
06/09/2007, 1:23 PM
[QUOTE=hooper1524;765111]

What have ye changed the words to?
Ive neevr heard ye sing it

The words are the same as the original.
Obviously never been to a rovers v cork game then!

michaelguineys
06/09/2007, 1:31 PM
[QUOTE=michaelguineys;765194]

The words are the same as the original.
Obviously never been to a rovers v cork game then!

eh go to every city home game and have done for the past 13 years.
Just havent heard that sung!

GuisaSaigon
06/09/2007, 1:57 PM
not the stupid Fields of Athenry, everyone from United fans to Munster rugby bandwagon jumpers trot that out these days
True, but it was being sung at Galway United matches long before all these bandwagon jumpers, and it continues to be sung by us. Never understood why the whole of Ireland and Britain decided to adopt it:confused:

NY Hoop
06/09/2007, 2:02 PM
Ring of Fire was a favourite when we won the league in 94.

KOH

Jerry The Saint
06/09/2007, 2:44 PM
Yes good lad...I guess its a fair cop...we chose Johnny Logan because we are crap!!

I heard Neale Fenn came up with the idea after he worked with Johnny Logan in that McDonald's commercial.

That's tinted moisturiser ya plank! :rolleyes:

Whaaaaaaa?!?! :eek:

sadloserkid
06/09/2007, 4:05 PM
True, but am trying to change that by engaging the group of young lads who have started coming to our games.

Do their parents know?

micls
06/09/2007, 5:14 PM
Obviously the Banks is one for us.

I'd be a big fan of 'Wise Men Say' too even though it'll be widespread enough.

Our new owners want us to have an anthem :D

Conor H
06/09/2007, 6:37 PM
GUFC fans are the only LOI fans i've heard "singing" seven nation Army.

"Suspicious Minds" is a bus favourite aswell.

Tis-smeee
06/09/2007, 8:28 PM
Two little boys is a firm fave in the ford

Magicme
07/09/2007, 8:18 AM
Do their parents know?

Ha! eh prob not since they come to the game with their Youth Club supervisor!

:eek:

forza
07/09/2007, 9:43 AM

We used to sing just after it came out ;)

Keith Dunne Dunne Dunne Dunne Dunne Dunne

all drogged up
07/09/2007, 11:22 AM
For Stuart Byrne we sing

Stuey Stuey Stuey Stuey -
aaaahh ahhh aahh ahhh
aaaahh ahhh aahh ahhh

to the tune of Ruby by the Kaiser Chiefs

There's two whole verses too. it's deadly!
can't remember the verses but there's something about

"and we get to see him
in claret and blue"
then launch into the chorus

Jerry The Saint
07/09/2007, 12:49 PM
Two little boys is a firm fave in the ford

Do their parents know?

Dodge
07/09/2007, 12:54 PM
Both Pats and Longford have.

Anyone with a player called dunne should...

AnDy Williams singing "Can't take my eyes off you" brings up cracking memories of Pats games

SolitudeRed
08/09/2007, 11:41 PM
Cliftonville have been playing Dearg Doom (which means the red destroyer I believe) by Horslips at the start of our matches for years now, do any teams in the EL teams use this song by any chance?

A face
09/09/2007, 12:06 AM
The Banks for Cork City is brilliant, i love hearing it because it is completely Cork City. It wasn't heard much in the last ten years or so but in the last three it has.

Red Army
09/09/2007, 12:10 PM
Just to the same tune, but the words have no similarity, like the 'the only good tadhg is one with a bullet in its back'.

It comes from the song "Born under a wandering star"

Burny89
09/09/2007, 1:27 PM
Teenage Kicks

DvB
09/09/2007, 8:06 PM
Teenage Kicks

Have to say that song was completely ruined for me after the cup final defeat to you lot, everytime i hear it now it reminds me of that day!!

Typical Derry, have to go and ruin the one good thing to come out of the place!!:D

Koh

michaelguineys
11/09/2007, 5:30 PM
a feckin hymn that was drilled into us in primary school and in mass
He is God.... reminds me of city!

He is God, He is God,
he is risen from the Shed and he is God,
Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess,
That John o Flynn is god

In a city dvd even Denis Behan is laughing at it saying he feels like he is at Mass everytime the Shed break into that!!

brendy_éire
11/09/2007, 7:56 PM
Live Forever by Oasis reminds me of Derry losing on rainy nights. Thinks it's something to do with 2003 season and our relegation near-miss. Still gives me a weird feeling.

Anto McC
11/09/2007, 8:22 PM
Shels fans have been known to sing "Killing Me Softly" and "Feista"

Celdrog
11/09/2007, 9:53 PM
For Stuart Byrne we sing
aaaahh ahhh aahh ahhh
aaaahh ahhh aahh ahhh
to the tune of Ruby by the Kaiser Chiefs
I remember the day we signed him from Shels
We knew that this season was gonna go well
A top class midfielder with quality through
Now we get to see him in Claret and Blue.......
Stuey Stuey ................

For the rimini trip our songmaster rewrote Nessum Dorma :eek:
Oh Super Drogheda
Claret and Blue army
with Connor, Lynch and Webb and Gray
And Brian Shelly - he can plaaaayyyyyy
With Jason Gavin and Graham Gartland -
best defence in Ireland
and don't forget.......
Fabio
Faaabibbbiio
Faabbbbiiiooooooo

its on you tube somewhere

Pauro 76
12/09/2007, 10:49 AM
I remember the day we signed him from Shels
We knew that this season was gonna go well
A top class midfielder with quality through
Now we get to see him in Claret and Blue.......
Stuey Stuey ................

=

We miss Stuey. Town have

Mooney, Mooney, Mooney, Mooney
He scores for Section O....

Speaking of Kaiser Chiefs, I was thinking about a chorus of
'Athlone Town Are Average Nowadays' but thought better of it! :)

michaelguineys
12/09/2007, 12:11 PM
Just found it!
ha ha
very good, has to be said

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PNQOBZomj14

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lKA6B2dRiTs

Anto McC
13/09/2007, 4:40 PM
I really like the Drogs reworking of Nessum Dorma. Fair play lads.

Pauro 76
13/09/2007, 7:25 PM
Just found it!
ha ha
very good, has to be said

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PNQOBZomj14

that is brilliant!!!!!! :):):)

Raheny Red
16/09/2007, 8:49 AM

Fair play to that fella ;), that's the best way to start new chants and not on some club forum which is the case these days now :rolleyes:

Is this the way to Abbeylara

BohsRichie
16/09/2007, 9:39 PM
We had the Ruby tune for Pooley before Drogheda - FACT!

Martinho II
21/09/2007, 8:43 PM
fair play to ged from drogs. thats the best chant i have heard in years i just could not stop laughin!

clubman
22/09/2007, 11:30 PM
fair play to ged from drogs. thats the best chant i have heard in years i just could not stop laughin!
Not that good surely??

Magicme
23/09/2007, 1:51 PM
Aw Ged is a legend. Did you see him doing the Braveheart last year when they were on tour? Cried laughing at that.