PDA

View Full Version : Team for Saturday

Pages : [1] 2

Littlest Hobo
05/09/2007, 10:36 PM
Right Lads and Lasses, here's the team I would play on saturday with those players now available.

GK - Given

RB - Mc Shane
CB - Dunne
CB - O Shea
LB - Kilbane

RM - Mc Geady
CM - Carsley
CM - Reid
LM - Hunt

S - Keane
S - Doyle

Subs: Colgan, Kelly, Ireland, Gibson, Long

I think this team has enough quality to pick up 3 points.
Remembering the slovaks are missing skrtel, svento, vittek and jakubko...who all played against us in dublin. Bolton's Michalik will replace svento. :ball:

Hibs4Ever
05/09/2007, 10:41 PM
Ireland ahead of McGeady would be only change I'd make from that

DmanDmythDledge
05/09/2007, 10:41 PM
Given

O'Shea
Dunne
McShane
Kelly

Ireland
Carsley
Reid
McGeady

Keane
Doyle

Have Ireland drift inside and have O'Shea overlap, other than that standard 4-4-2. I think we will win.

kingdomkerry
05/09/2007, 11:05 PM
Surely Kelly before Kilbane at the back. McGeady v Ireland is a tough one. Maybe playing away from home Ireland might be the better option.

Given

O'Shea
Dunne
McShane
Kelly

Ireland
Carsley
Reid
Hunt

Keane
Doyle

billydoneit
05/09/2007, 11:14 PM
Given

O'Shea
Dunne
McShane
Kelly

Ireland
Carsley
Reid
McGeady

Keane
Doyle

Have Ireland drift inside and have O'Shea overlap, other than that standard 4-4-2. I think we will win.

I would go with this line up as well, definitely has enough quality to win this game given the slovak withdrawals, 2 nil methinks........;)

cheifo
05/09/2007, 11:16 PM
Dont know tbh which two I would pick from Hunt,McGeady or Ireland.Leaning towards Hunt as an impact sub.I knew Vittek was out.Are the other lads they are missing big players for them?

holidaysong
05/09/2007, 11:41 PM
I'd have Kelly before Kilbane and Hunt and Ireland before McGeady myself...

irishfan86
05/09/2007, 11:42 PM
---------------Given-------------

O'Shea---Dunne--McShane---Kelly

McGeady--Carsley--Gibson--Hunt

----------Doyle---Keane--------

I'd like to have Gibson on there to just drive at the Slovaks, he has more ambition going forward than any of our other central midfielders.

Andy Reid wouldn't be a bad option either, and I'd say Stan will go that route, which I won't be upset with.

But if it was me, I'd love to just have Gibson driving at their defense.

tetsujin1979
05/09/2007, 11:53 PM
My 2 cents:
.....................Given
Kelly.....McShane..Dunne..O'Shea
McGeady..Carsley..Reid.....Hunt
................Doyle..Keane..

dunno about the subs to be honest

I reckon pretty much everyone will pick Given, McShane, Dunne, Carsley, Doyle and Keane. The real questions are who plays in the full back berths, who partners Carsley in central midfield and who plays on the wings?

holidaysong
05/09/2007, 11:58 PM
To be honest I think our tactics are more important than our lineup. I hope we play to win and don't just park the bus and hope to get a goal on a set piece / counter attack. We are our own worst enemy at times by inviting teams onto us..

Noelys Guitar
06/09/2007, 12:26 AM
To be honest I think our tactics are more important than our lineup. I hope we play to win and don't just park the bus and hope to get a goal on a set piece / counter attack. We are our own worst enemy at times by inviting teams onto us..

Spot on. No slowmo build up stuff. Really try to get at their back four early. Keane and Doyle (and probably Hunt)should make it hard for their defense to dwell on the ball. Defend from the front.

billybunter
06/09/2007, 1:31 AM
if you look at the lpayers who did well against the slovaks in dublin - duff was superb for the first 70 minutes, hunt scared the daylights out of them when he came on, long caused them all kinds of trouble when he chased and harried their central defenders. I think Staunton will use Andy reid in the mide with carsley, Robbie and McGeady will run them ragged down the channels. Our defence (whichever back 4 he picks) is mobile enough to deal with the slovak midfield and forwards. The slovaks are a big strong technical side, and I think our tricky players will have success against them. 2-0. My preferred line up: given, kelly, mcshane, dunne, o'shea, ireland (to start on the right) carsley, Reid, Hunt, doyle, keane. McGeady to come on around the hour mark. I think hunt gives a little more natural defensive cover for o'shea at left full for this game.

ifk101
06/09/2007, 6:22 AM
--------- Given ----------

Kelly Dunne McShane JOSH

-------- Carsley ---------

------ Reid Ireland -------

McGeady ----------- Hunt

---------- Keane --------

I think given Kelly's relative inexperience it's better to play him on his favoured right side. JOSH is equally bad on the left or right so it doesn't matter where he plays.
Defensively we look weak so I think it's a good idea to start with five across the middle to steady the ship so to speak. Doyle isn't in form atm and that's another reason for not starting with a 4-4-2 formation.

dr_peepee
06/09/2007, 7:26 AM
Keane can't play up front alone.

I think the big question is which 2 from McGeady, A Reid and Ireland. I don't think all three will start.

Sligo Hornet
06/09/2007, 8:05 AM
Keane can't play up front alone.

I think the big question is which 2 from McGeady, A Reid and Ireland. I don't think all three will start.

I think we need to start with Andy Reid...he's in good form and his ability to thread decisive balls to the front two will be crucial in helping us to put them under pressure early on .We simply must start with a high tempo ( unlike we did against the Danes! )

macdermesser
06/09/2007, 8:13 AM
I think we need to start with Andy Reid...he's in good form and his ability to thread decisive balls to the front two will be crucial in helping us to put them under pressure early on .We simply must start with a high tempo ( unlike we did against the Danes! )

agree .. Reid has to start .. and we have to get the balance right in the middle between creativity and keeping possession .. as well as height and strength.

wallis
06/09/2007, 8:35 AM
I think the starting lineup is going to be largely irrelevant to be honest. As already stated on this thread I also believe that this is all going to be about attitude and tactics. Staunton needs to get the strategy right and has a chance to prove that he is up to the job by organsing our players in such a way that we give it a real go for the 3 points.

Our big criticisms (as fans) of Kerr etc was that on the away games we were too negative. This is a chance for Stan to really show that he is up to being an international manager by showing some tactical nous. He has had plenty of time to plan for this match and I hope to see a big improvement on our previous away performances.

Im still confident that we can win this. The slovaks injuries are more critical than ours.

cheifo
06/09/2007, 8:56 AM
Our away record is appalling.We need our experienced players to show leadership.Andy Reid gives the air of being a confident man at the moment.In football terms he is not a young 'un anymore.Time to step forward and take things by the scruff of the neck Andy.

Sligo Hornet
06/09/2007, 8:59 AM
Our away record is appalling.We need our experienced players to show leadership.Andy Reid gives the air of being a confident man at the moment.In football terms he is not a young 'un anymore.Time to step forward and take things by the scruff of the neck Andy.

And if you do there'll be a PIE in it for you son!!:D

MyTown
06/09/2007, 9:04 AM
Our away record is appalling.

Last significant competitive win came against Scotland via Mark Lawrenson 20, yes 20 years ago and following the intervention of Gary McKay, look what that led to:)

To me it says how fantastic our supporters have been to travel to all of the many venues in the meantime. Well done to them. But realistically, 1 or 2 points is what is see the haul as being. Anything else, and the experts will be struggling to reinvent Stan as a footballing genius.

citizenerased
06/09/2007, 10:10 AM
id go with

.....................Given

Kelly......Dunne......McShane......O'Shea

McGeady.....Ireland.....Carsley.......Hunt

........................Keane(c)

..........................Doyle

As much as id like to see it, i dont think he will start Andy Reid, as he will remain loyal to stephen ireland he Mcgeady is on Fire in training at the moment

macdermesser
06/09/2007, 10:24 AM
everyone was hailing the new 4-3-3 formation after the game in Croker .. anyone think that we'll go again with this?

If that is the case, I could see the lineup being

....................Given

.......Reid ..........Carsley.......Kilbane

................Ireland........Keane(c)

not saying that is the team I would pick ..

youngirish
06/09/2007, 10:58 AM
everyone was hailing the new 4-3-3 formation after the game in Croker .. anyone think that we'll go again with this?

If that is the case, I could see the lineup being

....................Given

.......Reid ..........Carsley.......Kilbane

................Ireland........Keane(c)

not saying that is the team I would pick ..
I actually do like the look of that tbh. I'd swap Kilbane for Hunt though for a bit of width in the three man midfield.

Staunton will go for this though I reckon:

.............................Given
Kelly..............Dunne........McShane........... O'Shea

............................Carsley
A Reid.............................................. ......McGeady
............................Ireland

........................Keane....Doyle

Stuttgart88
06/09/2007, 11:03 AM
Interesting line up there Mac. Food for thought.

Stan has to get the mindset right regardless of selection. He should be asking each one of them how much they want to play in a Euro finals & that if they want it they have to go out and show it. Play with tempo and without fear. If you’ve got talent use it. If we go one down go out and get the game back.

This team has strengths and weaknesses. Playing cautiously and hoping for a break will expose these weaknesses. Play to our strengths, engage the opposition in a game and we’ll have every chance. This is lower second tier opposition at best on Saturday.

Lionel Ritchie
06/09/2007, 11:12 AM
But realistically, 1 or 2 points is what is see the haul as being. Anything else, and the experts will be struggling to reinvent Stan as a footballing genius.

If I was being a realist I could see this all going horribly, horribly tits up. The romantic in me wonders if our statistically demonstrable inability to beat decent teams away is ready to be punctuated by an improbable three points on the road. If we were to win one I'd want it to be against the Czechs -yet if we lose to Slovakia I think the wheels will come off.

endabob1
06/09/2007, 11:42 AM
Staunton will go for this though I reckon:

.............................Given
Kelly..............Dunne........McShane........... O'Shea

............................Carsley
A Reid.............................................. ......McGeady
............................Ireland

........................Keane....Doyle

That'd be pretty much my team but with Reid on the left & McGeady on the right, still have the option of Hunt of the bench to run at them

colster
06/09/2007, 11:49 AM
Anyone think, with the amount of defensive injuries, that he might play 3 at the back?

E.G.

Given

O'Shea Dunne McShane

McGeady Ireland Carsley Reid Hunt

Doyle Keane

geysir
06/09/2007, 12:07 PM
I don't think so, not to start with anyway.
I can see our midfield having 5 with Keane dropping in and 4 at the back.

Stuttgart88
06/09/2007, 12:19 PM
Anyone think, with the amount of defensive injuries, that he might play 3 at the back?

E.G.

Given

O'Shea Dunne McShane

Doyle Keane
What, you'd play Ealing Green in nets, with Given as sweeper?

Stuttgart88
06/09/2007, 12:21 PM

E.G.

Given

O'Shea Dunne McShane

Doyle Keane

The thought had crossed my mind but I don't see it happening. If football was a game of 12 a side we'd be a great team, but optimising the XI we must pick is tough. No selection is without its weak points.

cheifo
06/09/2007, 1:25 PM
To switch from 442 at this stage could be courting disaster.Robbie does not seem to play well in wide midfield position.What are their central defenders like, anybody know?

youngirish
06/09/2007, 1:27 PM
What, you'd play Ealing Green in nets, with Given as sweeper?
Have the FAI now "tapped up" Ealing Green?

carloz
06/09/2007, 2:05 PM
:Given
Kelly
Dunne
O'Shea
McShane
Ireland
Reid
Carsley
McGeady
Keane
Doyle

Personally this is the team id go for. Id prefer O'Shea to stay beside Dunne as i think McShane would give McGeady better protection than O'Shea. I only barely put McGeady in there ahead of Hunt, and his performance against the Danish has him there. I have dreadful visions of him repeating the performance he had in Croker against the Slovaks. As someone pointed out, the Slovaks are a very average second tier side and we really should be beating them. I really think someone has to stamp their autority on the game very early on, such as the memorable way Roy Keane did to Marc Overmars in 2001. Id love to see a full hearted tackle from McShane or Dunne in the first minute, we really have to let them know we mean business. I think that Ireland have become a bit too timid a team as of late and in away matches like these we really need to change this. Plus WE have to set the tempo of the game, not the Slovaks. If they set the tempo we will be camped in our half for 90 minutes. I truely believe we can beat them but it is 100% up to us. I feel if Slovakia get a result it will be because we ****ed up somehow or Stans strange tactics will come back into play. I think the difference will be Andy Reid, he is like a present day John Sheridan and has a fantastic range of passing. He excited me more than any other Irish player in the squad and i have a feeling the Slovaks will overlook him. It will be interesting to see how Doyle fairs.....if he isn't doing the business by the 60th minute i would let Andy Keogh have a run. For some reason i have a hell of a lot more belief now than i usually have for away matces against decent opposition. Maybe im just being very blinkered:(

Lionel Ritchie
06/09/2007, 2:16 PM
There's some very sensible and interesting line ups there but whatever anyone feels is the right way to go - I will eat a winos jockstrap if Kilbane doesn't start at whatever position.

citizenerased
06/09/2007, 2:22 PM
yeah kilbane will start,, it galls me and i hate the whole height argument..we cant afford to give possesiona way cheaply over there and kilbane has always been a main candidate for that...

Stuttgart88
06/09/2007, 2:45 PM
I'd be ok with him starting on the left, Hunt taking over later.

I too thought about McShane "protecting" McGeady's side, but only if both are on the RHS. Can McShane realistically be expected to play LB?

Morbo
06/09/2007, 3:02 PM
I'd go with

Given

McShane O'Shea Dunne Kilbane

McGeady Carsley Reid Hunt

Doyle Keane

I would have played Ireland instead of McGeady if Finnan was playing since finnan could over lap and deliver good crosses and allow Ireland to drift inside but without finnan I feel we need a natural winger to play on the right.
I don't like playing McShane at RB instean of CB but I think McShane would definitely do a better job protecting McGeady than JOSH

gustavo
06/09/2007, 3:09 PM
I'd go with

Given

Kelly McShane Dunne Kilbane

McGeady Carsley O'Shea Reid

Doyle Keane

ollie
06/09/2007, 3:13 PM
Mo rogha:

Given

Kelly - Dunne - McShane - O'Shea

McGeady - Ireland - Carsley - Kilbane

Keane - Doyle

Fergie's Son
06/09/2007, 3:24 PM
The reality is that he won't drop Kilbane.He may even put him in the middle with Carlsley which would be a disaster.

tetsujin1979
06/09/2007, 4:07 PM
something to lighten the mood
http://audio.todayfm.com/audio/Gift_heyjohndelaney.mp3

passinginterest
06/09/2007, 4:20 PM

E.G.

Given

O'Shea Dunne McShane

Doyle Keane

If it was 3 centre backs he'd most likely play Kilbane and Kelly as wing backs ahead of McGeady and Hunt. Possible but I'd say it'll be 4-4-2 of some sort. Very hard to predict the starting 11 (is that a good thing? I'm not sure).

Littlest Hobo
06/09/2007, 5:15 PM
Dont know tbh which two I would pick from Hunt,McGeady or Ireland.Leaning towards Hunt as an impact sub.I knew Vittek was out.Are the other lads they are missing big players for them?

Yeah the other three are experienced for them. Played throughout the campaign. They have had to draft in a couple of uncapped lads for this one.

Noelys Guitar
06/09/2007, 7:08 PM
Kilbane being sent out to do the Sky interview yesterday means hes playing for sure.

Paddy Garcia
06/09/2007, 7:22 PM
Given

O'Shea
Dunne
McShane
Kelly

Ireland
Carsley
Reid
McGeady

Keane
Doyle

This looks good to me. I'd seriously consider Kilbane at FB too.

Stuttgart88
06/09/2007, 7:36 PM
Kilbane being sent out to do the Sky interview yesterday means hes playing for sure.Nah, SKY only ever interviews Irish players with English accents.

Colbert Report
06/09/2007, 7:46 PM
What are the odds that Steve Staunton is looking through this thread for legitimate suggestions?

co. down green
06/09/2007, 7:56 PM
What are the odds that Steve Staunton is looking through this thread for legitimate suggestions?

Apart from a couple of positions, the team picks itself.

danonion
06/09/2007, 10:25 PM
I Really like the idea of a 3-5-2 but the problem with that is it becomes a 5-3-2 catenaccio formation far too easily, the last thing we need is an ultra-defensive formation for these away games, if we are not playing for 6 points its a slap in the face to the fans who have supported this team in spite of the shenanigans performed at the start of this campaign.

Qwerty
06/09/2007, 10:32 PM
Reckon Stan will go for

Given

Kelly Dunne McShane o'Shea

McGeady Carsley Kilbane Reid

Keane Doyle