PDA

View Full Version : Sad News

Marco
04/09/2007, 7:40 PM
Lads just letting you know that Paddy Short has passes away. R.I.P

Rambler1
04/09/2007, 7:44 PM
May he rest in peace. What a player and a person.

ramsfan
04/09/2007, 7:57 PM
absolutely terrible news what a rams legend, he deserves a minutes clapat saturdays match rather than a mins silence he was the sort of player who was rams thro and thro

may he rest in peace, god bless:(

Cici900
04/09/2007, 7:58 PM
R.I.P

ramsfan
04/09/2007, 7:59 PM
it brings things in nto perspective here , we argue about football but it is only a game, we should realise it is only a small thing when you here of a thing like this

outside in
04/09/2007, 8:20 PM
u'll never meet a nicer person... R.I.P PADDY

bellavistaman
04/09/2007, 8:28 PM
Rest in Piece. Ramblers Legend!

thegafferman
04/09/2007, 8:34 PM
paddy was an example to us all .. he fought bravely against adversity always a smile on his face .....Ramblers wish you and all yours our deepest sympathy ... rest now and thanks for so many great memories .....

sligoman
04/09/2007, 8:51 PM
You could have said who he is?

bellavistaman
04/09/2007, 8:52 PM
Ramblers Legend, played against ye in the 83 cup run me thinks.

Réiteoir
04/09/2007, 8:57 PM
condolences to the family and all who knew him

Risteard
04/09/2007, 9:12 PM
R.I.P.

ramblers
04/09/2007, 9:31 PM
A big shock. He was a great player and a gentleman.

R.I.P

ramblers
04/09/2007, 9:37 PM
Sad news. A great player and a gentleman.

R.I.P

Marco
04/09/2007, 9:58 PM
You could have said who he is?

Apologies Sligoman he played with Waterford, Limerick, Cork Celtic and Ramblers. Won FAI Cup with Lims in 74 and Intermediate Cup with Rams in 83, never knew him personally but he was know as a decent guy and a fine footballer.

Copa Mundial
05/09/2007, 8:00 AM
Paddy Shortt was a League of Ireland legend during the late 70's and 80's. He played with Wembley (Junior Club in Cork) in his early days before plying his trade with Limerick, Waterford, Cork Celtic, Cork United and Cobh Ramblers. He was also capped for Ireland at under age, u-21 and amateur levels for Ireland.
Paddy was a regular attendee at LOI games in Cork and Cobh for many years and was a stalwart supporter of the league and Irish football in general even throughout his battle with cancer over the past few years. An absolute gentleman and friend to many, he will be sadly missed.

My sincerest condolences to his wife Catherine, his sons Graham, Padraig and his daughter Cornelia. Rest in Peace Shortty:ball:

Bluebeard
05/09/2007, 8:25 AM
He won the league with us the last time we did it. Munster football legend. Another hero passes.

R.I.P.

yiddo
05/09/2007, 9:20 AM
RIP Paddy

He played in the first EL away game I saw. January 1970 Hibs away to Limerick in the Markets Field. Shorty played for Limerick that day as did another Cork man Donie Leahy who got the winner in a 1-0 win for Limerick.

carrickharp
05/09/2007, 9:29 AM
R.I.P.

declan hide
05/09/2007, 10:09 AM
My uncle who played for Limerick at the same time as Paddy was best friends with him. He spent a lot of time in my Nanas house and i've heard many good things about him over the years. RIP

NY Hoop
05/09/2007, 10:41 AM
RIP

Seem to remember being at his testimonial in Colmans many moons ago. Could be wrong though.......

KOH

stann
05/09/2007, 12:38 PM
Sad news. Great ball player by all accounts, stood out in one of the best eras for LoI players. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

jebus
05/09/2007, 12:43 PM
RIP

Too young to remember him, but I'm gonna put forward that he have a minutes applause at the Limerick game as well, as he is well remembered by the fans I know that were watching back then

yiddo
05/09/2007, 3:04 PM
From tonights Evening Echo

Paddy Shortt passes away
Paddy Shortt, right shakes hands with the captain of Dolphin (Waterford) before their 1967 FAIMinor Cup
match at Turner’s Cross.
PADDY SHORTT, one of the most gifted players of his generation, died at the Mercy hospital in Cork last night after a
gallant battle with illness.
The 59-year-old former Wembley, Cork Celtic, Limerick and Waterford right-winger from Glen Heights, Ballyvolane
died soon after 8pm. Originally from Farranree,, Shortt was a gentleman of the game he loved. A flying flame-haired winger, Paddy graced the game with wizardry and a distinctive acceleration that was one of the delights of soccer in the 1960s and 70s.
‘Shortty’ began his glittering career in 1961 with Wembley and even then caught the eye, winning the 1965 Cork Schoolboy
Player of the Year award. He won the National Evans Cup and an FAI Minor with Wembley. He signed for Cork Celtic and in 1969 was part of the team unluckily beaten by Shamrock Rovers in the cup final. A year later he transferred to Limerick and was an inspiring figure in their first FAI Cup triumph.
Success followed everywhere. He added a league medal with Waterford in 1973. He joined Cork Celtic and in 1974 saw
Celtic claim their first league of title under Paul O’Donovan, giving Paddy the distinction of playing for three different clubs
in Europe in four years. His arrival at Cobh Ramblers heralded a golden era for the club. Who can forget the excitement
of 1983 when they won the hearts of the nation with a dramatic bid for FAI Cup glory that ended after a marathon semifinal
defeat by Sligo. Paddy added to his medal collection after FAI Intermediate Cup glory with Ramblers, with the FAI Junior medal the only memento not in his collection.
Paddy, a master butcher, had a shop in Cobh. He was a brother- in-law of Cork Celtic legend Donie Leahy. He is survived by
his wife Catherine, sons Graham, Padraig and Jonathan and daughter Cornelia.

shinobi
05/09/2007, 4:42 PM
R.I.P
My father worked with him and never knew anyone with a bad word about him. I remember that testimonial too I think it was a Cork XI against a LoI selection.

Super-rams
06/09/2007, 12:46 PM
Great Player, Great Man, Great Person. Will be sadly missed but happily remembered.