PDA

View Full Version : English national team in decline

OwlsFan
04/09/2007, 2:55 PM
Heskey and Lescott!! There is no doubt that the glut of foreign players coming in to the Premiership is doing long term damage to the English national team. In the old days they just had to complete for their places against a few Micks, Taffys and Jocks but now there is a real dearth in depth of decent English players coming through. Strangely this hasn't impacted on our national side yet but must long term.

Risteard
04/09/2007, 2:59 PM
Tournament performances haven't been that bad in recent years but the panel certainly looks poor.
They'll be lucky to get to Austria/Switzerland.

Billsthoughts
04/09/2007, 3:09 PM
Strangely this hasn't impacted on our national side yet but must long term.

are you a crazy man???:eek:
what international team have ou been watchin for the last few years?

I think England are grand. They picked a bad manager tho.That was a mistake.

Cymro
04/09/2007, 5:09 PM
If they were at full strength and could actually learn that Lampard and Gerrard can't play together, they'd be one of the world's best teams.

They've got a lot of injuries right now and have had a couple of managers who have not learnt about Lampard and Gerrard not working together, hence their poor form.

Heskey is a bit of a shock call-up, but I always thought Lescott had a bit of talent. It's not like they're calling up Titus Bramble.

Hibs4Ever
04/09/2007, 5:25 PM
I honestly don't think England will qualify. Croatia will win group, Russia second

Hope they qualify though, just for the fun of listening to them saying they'll win it, then watching Dunphy and Souness tear into them on RTE when they get knocked out early doors :D

Cymro
04/09/2007, 5:37 PM
Hope they qualify though, just for the fun of listening to them saying they'll win it, then watching Dunphy and Souness tear into them on RTE when they get knocked out early doors :D

I agree with that, but substitute the words 'Dunphy', 'Souness' and 'RTE' for 'Lineker', 'Hansen' and 'BBC' :D

jebus
04/09/2007, 6:41 PM
I think they have a good first team in Robinson, Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Lennon, Hargreaves, Gerrard, Downing, Rooney and Owen, but outside of that they are pretty poor. They won't qualify for the Euro Championship though

Dodge
04/09/2007, 7:25 PM
Heskey and Lescott would walk into the Irish team.

eirebhoy
04/09/2007, 7:35 PM
They need a playmaker really, that's all.

bennocelt
04/09/2007, 9:03 PM
Heskey and Lescott!! There is no doubt that the glut of foreign players coming in to the Premiership is doing long term damage to the English national team. In the old days they just had to complete for their places against a few Micks, Taffys and Jocks but now there is a real dearth in depth of decent English players coming through. Strangely this hasn't impacted on our national side yet but must long term.

i have to disagree there
this would be fine but since when were england that good anyway? i mean its not a recent thing that they are rubbish. since i have been wathing football England have always been pretty dire (and that includes 1990)
Scotland are doing fine, so are Norn Iron, and we might just nick a place yet...........so that doesnt make sense going by your reasoning

and Greece won the last champs...........and how good were they?

superfrank
04/09/2007, 9:51 PM
and Greece won the last champs...........and how good were they?
They were so good that noone knew how to beat them.

TheBoss
04/09/2007, 10:44 PM
Why do people say that the import of foreign players has ruined the national side. What I say to that is; Are these players that come through good enough to compete at the highest level, the answer is no, that problem lies with the grassroots level of the game in England, if they want to be power houses in football, they need to get that right.

DaveyCakes
04/09/2007, 10:55 PM
Some of ye have very short memories....

Last summer, World Cup, anyone?

England are a very average team. They can't keep possession of the ball for more than about 5 seconds. Their passing and ball control is no better than Albania.

If I hear anyone else saying how Gerrard and Lampard are World class, but just can't play in the same team, I'll kill someone. If they were that good, they'd be able to adapt to different formations and tactics so they could play together.

DmanDmythDledge
04/09/2007, 11:00 PM
I think England are grand. They picked a bad manager tho.That was a mistake.
Spot on. It will probably cost them qualification. McClaren was a great coach, but a shocking manager.

They need a playmaker really, that's all.
Joe Cole. He's wasted on the wing.

Risteard
04/09/2007, 11:52 PM
Heskey and Lescott would walk into the Irish team.
Ahead of who?
Duff?
Keane?
Doyle?
I'd probably throw Shane Long on before Heskey.

Must admit that I don't have a clue about Lescott.

TheBoss
04/09/2007, 11:58 PM
Lescott is one of those brave defenders at times, gets his body into the challenge and wins headers from goal kicks etc.

Cymro
05/09/2007, 12:03 AM
I know England aren't going through their best spell right now but I am pretty sure they will still qualify. Heskey's only there to give them a different option while they cope with their injuries, and if they play to their potential they won't need him anyway.

I also don't expect Lescott to play, but if he does he'll do well. I'd have Micah Richards and Woodgate as their first choice defenders though, if both were fully fit.

Torn-Ado
05/09/2007, 12:51 AM
England will qualify.

galwayhoop
05/09/2007, 10:43 AM
If I hear anyone else saying how Gerrard and Lampard are World class, but just can't play in the same team, I'll kill someone. If they were that good, they'd be able to adapt to different formations and tactics so they could play together.

personally i don't think Lampard is that good at all. He is effective for Chelsea when they have either/both:
a designated holding/defensive midfielder and
one up front.

if ingerlund want to play gerard and lampard they need to sacrafice another position and that would probably be a front man, something akin to a spanish style formation of; 4,2,3,1 would be ideal. therefore:

...................Robinson

Neville,......Terry,......Ferdinand,.......Cole

.............Hargreaves...Gerrard

Rooney...........Lampard...............Cole

......................Owen

Subs:
Lennon
Downing
Peckham
Richards
James???
AN Other Striker

But as I couldn't give a toss about them I won't be texting/emailing McClaren who as stated above is probably a good coach but not a good manager imo.

NY Hoop
05/09/2007, 11:35 AM
Dont know why this even comes up. Who cares about their national side? If they qualify cant wait for the scenes in any pub here where locals in english club jersies will be cheering on whoever they play.

Would prefer ingerland winning the Euros (not much chance there) than any english club side winning a European trophy for sure.

KOH

Dodge
05/09/2007, 12:17 PM
Ahead of who?
Duff?
Keane?
Doyle?
I'd probably throw Shane Long on before Heskey.

Must admit that I don't have a clue about Lescott.

I'd have HesKey ahead of Doyle certainly. Duff's finished IMO

Lionel Ritchie
05/09/2007, 1:06 PM
I don't accept they are "in decline". They have consistently been over-hyped and for once we don't have Andy Gray, Sky Sports and the Premiership era to blame for it as it was going on long before then.

That's not to say they are a "bad" team. They're obviously a decent team with some fine individual talents playing for them over the years. But have they under-achieved the way that say some of The Netherlands sides or Spanish sides have? My guess is no.

Oh ...and another thing -that kind of applies to us as well as all our players are reared in "their" system. The style of play in these islands -which is still faster and more physical than elsewhere -really doesn't strike me as conducive to winning any tournament played out over three weeks in June. it might be that if the intenational competition finals were played out like a CL or rugbys six nations that it help them that bit more. maybe, maybe not.

Closed Account 2
10/09/2007, 9:51 AM
They were so good that noone knew how to beat them.

Except Russia, who beat them in the final game of group A.

superfrank
10/09/2007, 4:31 PM
Except Russia, who beat them in the final game of group A.
Correct. I forgot that one.