PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Countries which we have never played competitively

OwlsFan
04/09/2007, 11:42 AM
Was reading Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team_-_record_in_major_tournaments#UEFA_countries_the_Re public_of_Ireland_have_never_played_competitively

and came across this list. None a surprise except Greece whom we have managed to avoid all these years

Armenia
Azerbaijan (Billsthoughts is an expert on them)
Belarus
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Greece
Kazakhstan
Moldova

Have we played the Ukraine ?

Plastic Paddy
04/09/2007, 11:44 AM
What about Montenegro or Serbia? There's another couple for you.

:ball: PP

Dodge
04/09/2007, 11:45 AM
Haven't played the Ukraine competitively

kingdom hoop
04/09/2007, 11:50 AM
We haven't really played competitively against San Marino either:p

NeilMcD
04/09/2007, 12:19 PM
What countries do we have a 100 per cent record against.

Schumi
04/09/2007, 12:36 PM
http://rsssf.com/tablesi/ier-intres.html

All the results are here I think.

youngirish
04/09/2007, 12:59 PM
What about Slovenia? We never played them competitively as far as I can remember. Wikipedia sucks the devil's trumpet.

Irish_Praha
04/09/2007, 4:23 PM
Wikipedia sucks the devil's trumpet.

Have to agree with youngirish, Wikipedia is a load of w@nk when looking for a reliable reference.

I would imagine that there are 10's of teams we haven't played competitively considering all our qualifiers are against European teams (except for Israel) and we have only qualified for 3 world cups. Apart from that we have played a few US Cups and that other cup against Nigeria and Jamaica a few years ago. Unless there was some kind of pre WWII cup I'm unaware of that included the likes of Trinidad and Tobago, New Zealand, Ivory Coast, Canada, etc.

Would be interesting to know which teams we have never played either competitively or in a friendly.

Ireland4ever
04/09/2007, 4:33 PM
Have to agree with youngirish, Wikipedia is a load of w@nk when looking for a reliable reference.

I would imagine that there are 10's of teams we haven't played competitively considering all our qualifiers are against European teams (except for Israel) and we have only qualified for 3 world cups. Apart from that we have played a few US Cups and that other cup against Nigeria and Jamaica a few years ago. Unless there was some kind of pre WWII cup I'm unaware of that included the likes of Trinidad and Tobago, New Zealand, Ivory Coast, Canada, etc.

Would be interesting to know which teams we have never played either competitively or in a friendly.

While Wikipedia is as reliable as Fook, i think its UEFA teams only he's talking about.

Irish_Praha
04/09/2007, 4:50 PM
While Wikipedia is as reliable as Fook, i think its UEFA teams only he's talking about.

oops that's what I get for not reading the page properly :o

Anyway I'm sure it has missed a few UEFA countries too.

theworm2345
04/09/2007, 5:40 PM

We played T&T in T&T in '81 or '82, and lost 2-1 I believe. Liam Brady scored the goal, but I have never been able to find T&T's scorers or the minutes, referees, etc. We also played in the Kirin Cup sometime in the 80s, though we played 2 club teams and Japan

irishfan86
04/09/2007, 7:23 PM
I'd love to play against Kazakhstan, that'd be some trip to go on.

Jagshemesh!

irishfan86
04/09/2007, 7:39 PM
Somebody tell Mick Byrne to pour a bottle of gypsy tears on Finnan's knee.

Paddy Garcia
04/09/2007, 8:08 PM
Anyone see the Welsh game - don't think we have played them competitively!

gypsydownunder
05/09/2007, 3:13 AM
Ireland have never played East Germany.
[And I guess, never will].

kingdom hoop
05/09/2007, 3:50 AM
[And I guess, never will].

Fu*k, I don't think we've played Middle Earth either, and, maybe, never will.:)

OwlsFan
05/09/2007, 7:16 AM
And I guess, never will].

They're listed there as one of the ones we will never play along with Saarland :confused:

Bluebeard
05/09/2007, 8:55 AM
Hmm.

Please suggest additions to this list

Will Never Play Competitively owing to "countries" vanishing:
E. Germany
Saarland

Might Yet Play Competitively owing to status:
Kosovo
Greenland
Euskadi
Northern Cyprus?
Vatican City
Gibraltar

Existant teams Yet to play Competitively (by my reckoning):
Greece!!!!
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Montenegro
Serbia on their own
Slovenia
Moldova
Belarus
Azerbijan
Armenia
Kazakhstan (recently defected from Asian Football competition)
San Marino:D

5 Balkan teams (6 if you count Moldova), 5 former Soviet Union (including Moldova)

Do I recall correctly when I think we played against Palestine in a World Cup qualifier once pre-Emergency (whadya mean "War"?), or did they concede the game?

We also played a tournament in Iceland in 1986 that we won under JC (first thing we ever won), and, prior to Glenn Crowe, that was the last time a LOI player togged out (Pat Byrne, AFAIK).

Dodge
05/09/2007, 9:23 AM
We also played a tournament in Iceland in 1986 that we won under JC (first thing we ever won), and, prior to Glenn Crowe, that was the last time a LOI player togged out (Pat Byrne, AFAIK).
Nah, the last before Crowe played in a friendly v Uruguay. Think it was Pat Byrne though (could've been Peter Eccles)

NY Hoop
05/09/2007, 11:29 AM
Nah, the last before Crowe played in a friendly v Uruguay. Think it was Pat Byrne though (could've been Peter Eccles)

Blubeard is correct. Pat Byrne versus Czechslovakia was last LOI player capped before Crowe against Greece.

Very disappointed with the last draw for these qualifiers. Too many normal countries!

Draw for the WC qualifiers in January will hopefully give us away trips to any or all of these:

Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia, Moldova, Belarus, Azerbailjan, Armenia and Kazakhstan! That would cut down on the leprechaun brigade.

KOH

lopez
05/09/2007, 11:33 AM
We played T&T in T&T in '81 or '82, and lost 2-1 I believe. Liam Brady scored the goal, but I have never been able to find T&T's scorers or the minutes, referees, etc. We also played in the Kirin Cup sometime in the 80s, though we played 2 club teams and Japan
We didn't play Japan - odd as it seems. We played China. 1-0 Eamon O'Keefe scorer. Funny how I can remember that but not what I had to eat yesterday.:confused:

Slightly different, but we never played the GDR (East Germany) at full level either.

pateen
05/09/2007, 11:59 AM
That would cut down on the leprechaun brigade.

KOH

Feic that bring on the leprechaun brigade I say. Marchin down the streets on Almaty (Kazakhstan) :D:cool::)

Bottle of Tonic
05/09/2007, 3:26 PM

Very disappointed with the last draw for these qualifiers. Too many normal countries!

Draw for the WC qualifiers in January will hopefully give us away trips to any or all of these:

Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia, Moldova, Belarus, Azerbailjan, Armenia and Kazakhstan! That would cut down on the leprechaun brigade.

KOH

Jesus i was delighted with the draw for the very reasons you weren't!
Forget about the fans but would the squad want to be traveling out to many of these new/unstable/recently war-torn etc countries for vital away points?
Dodgy infastrucure, unfamiliar stadia, questionable hotels and travel arrangments(FAI most def included), partisan crowds and so on and so on. All the ingredients which make eastern european away trips notoriously difficult for both club and international football!
But feck it! You'd rather being going out there so you could feel elitest, with no drunken paddy leprachauns signing, dancing and laughing around beautiful city centre squares, enjoying themselves. Jesus.
Hope I run into you in Czech/Slovak, it'll be some laugh. Actually no, you probably don't like that sort of thing.

ger121
05/09/2007, 4:07 PM

Speaking of Glen Crowe didn't Ireland play away to Greece in the game after Mick McCarthy was sacked/quit. Finished 0-0 with Crowe on from the start.

tetsujin1979
05/09/2007, 4:26 PM
Speaking of Glen Crowe didn't Ireland play away to Greece in the game after Mick McCarthy was sacked/quit. Finished 0-0 with Crowe on from the start.
Yeah, that was Don Givens' game in charge.
Notable for a few things
as you say, the first eL player in over a decade to turn out for the Republic
The closest Richie Partridge came to the Irish team, unused substitute after some fine performances for Coventry
Ditto Wes Hoolahan, although he has a better chance of making a second appearance in an Ireland squad
Richard Dunne winning MOTM despite playing left full
lastly, being possibly the most dire game of football I've ever sat through in my life.

eirebhoy
05/09/2007, 7:49 PM
Dunne, Finnan, Doherty, McPhail, Crowe and possibly more made their debuts in that game.

Paddy Garcia
05/09/2007, 7:55 PM
Slightly different, but we never played the GDR (East Germany) at full level either.

Well thank God we have played NI.

tetsujin1979
05/09/2007, 8:29 PM
Dunne, Finnan, Doherty, McPhail, Crowe and possibly more made their debuts in that game.
Wrong Greece game, Dunne and Finnan made their debuts in a game against Greece in 2000, a 1-0 loss.
Doc made his debut in a US Cup game against the States in 2000, a 1-1 draw
McPhail made his debut against Scotland in 2000, a 2-1 loss.
Surprised at you EB!

gypsydownunder
05/09/2007, 10:58 PM
new/unstable/recently war-torn etc countries

Dodgy infastrucure, unfamiliar stadia, questionable hotels, partisan crowds and so on and so on.

There's an old expression about People in Glasshouses...

NY Hoop
06/09/2007, 12:00 PM
Jesus i was delighted with the draw for the very reasons you weren't!
Forget about the fans but would the squad want to be traveling out to many of these new/unstable/recently war-torn etc countries for vital away points?
Dodgy infastrucure, unfamiliar stadia, questionable hotels and travel arrangments(FAI most def included), partisan crowds and so on and so on. All the ingredients which make eastern european away trips notoriously difficult for both club and international football!
But feck it! You'd rather being going out there so you could feel elitest, with no drunken paddy leprachauns signing, dancing and laughing around beautiful city centre squares, enjoying themselves. Jesus.
Hope I run into you in Czech/Slovak, it'll be some laugh. Actually no, you probably don't like that sort of thing.

You got that right. Wont be there.

Fcuk the squad. I'm sure they can manage getting flown there and fawned on after picking up their weekly 10/20 grand cheque from their club.

Nothing to do with elitism pal. Just more craic behind the old iron curtain with out the leprechaun muppetry. Best fans in the world my arse.

KOH

WembleyGreen
06/09/2007, 1:15 PM
Miserable sod NY Hoop, what's wrong with a couple of tanked up leprechauns jiggy jiggn in the fine squares of Bratislava or Praque? As for the big cheques our players get, don't they deserve to be paid the same as the rest of the EPL stars or would you prefer they all stayed in the Eircom league and wasted their talents playing at best League 1 equivilent football and pre qualifying games for Europe. Any player with ambition and talent is going to want more from his career and that means playing in England or Scotland to an extent. Good point gypsydownunder I've just come back from Ireland and if the road from Rosslare through Ferns is anything to go by a trip to some of these eastern countries might be an eye opener for the Irish government and road planners.

youngirish
06/09/2007, 1:29 PM
We have never played the Austro-Hungarian Empire competitively as far as I recollect.

NY Hoop
06/09/2007, 2:06 PM
Miserable sod NY Hoop, what's wrong with a couple of tanked up leprechauns jiggy jiggn in the fine squares of Bratislava or Praque? As for the big cheques our players get, don't they deserve to be paid the same as the rest of the EPL stars or would you prefer they all stayed in the Eircom league and wasted their talents playing at best League 1 equivilent football and pre qualifying games for Europe. Any player with ambition and talent is going to want more from his career and that means playing in England or Scotland to an extent. Good point gypsydownunder I've just come back from Ireland and if the road from Rosslare through Ferns is anything to go by a trip to some of these eastern countries might be an eye opener for the Irish government and road planners.

Where did I say anything about players not deserving their wages? I hope they all make millions. Point is the players are insulated from the real world so I have zero sympathy for them if they have to go to a poor country.

But bravo for the dig at our league.

Leprechauns dancing anywhere is an embarrassment. What has that got to do with supporting the team?

KOH

OwlsFan
06/09/2007, 5:03 PM
Leprechauns dancing anywhere is an embarrassment. What has that got to do with supporting the team?

KOH

......because we've a team of midgets??

OwlsFan
05/08/2011, 11:08 AM
An old thread but Kazakhstan will shortly leave that list. Amazing that we have never drawn Greece in a competitive game. The rest are all relatively "new" States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team_-_record_in_major_tournaments#UEFA_countries_the_Re public_of_Ireland_have_never_played_competitively

AlaskaFox
05/08/2011, 11:26 AM
Great top.

Crosby87
05/08/2011, 11:28 AM
You responded to yourself 4 years later. Its like you traveled in time.
If you know who wins Yanks Sox tonight you are obliged to tell me so i can bet on it.

Gather round
05/08/2011, 12:52 PM
NI have never played the following European teams in qualifiers: Andorra, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan. We haven't been drawn with Switzerland since 1966.

ArdeeBhoy
05/08/2011, 1:36 PM
You are confusing us....

Who cares??

Kingdom
05/08/2011, 1:55 PM
6 of those teams are in with a shout of a play-off spot, I'd say we're good odds to scratch another name off the list. Greece me up woman!

culloty82
05/08/2011, 7:05 PM
They should update Serbia in that we've played them in a friendly in Trap's first game, so the same info in brackets as for Greece.

tetsujin1979
05/08/2011, 7:25 PM
They should update Serbia in that we've played them in a friendly in Trap's first game, so the same info in brackets as for Greece.
It's a wiki, the whole point of it is that if you find something wrong in an article, then you fix it

Charlie Darwin
06/08/2011, 3:20 AM
But this thread is about competitive fixtures.

backstothewall
07/08/2011, 5:15 PM
Unfortunately we missed the chance to play our derby game against the Republic of Connaught in 1798.

OwlsFan
08/08/2011, 9:32 AM

Eh? It's about competitive games not friendlies!

ArdeeBhoy
08/08/2011, 10:56 AM
To be fair, Chas pointed that out 2+ days ago...