PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup

sligobhoy67
02/09/2007, 5:03 PM
Why did St. Pat get the place vacated by Shels instead of us. If there is a historic thread which outlines all the reasoning place provide a link to that instead.

Dodge
02/09/2007, 5:53 PM
Why did St. Pat get the place vacated by Shels instead of us. If there is a historic thread which outlines all the reasoning place provide a link to that instead.

Shels dropped out.
Derry went in as league winners
We went in as cup runners up

"as per competition rules" is how the FAI put it

sligobhoy67
02/09/2007, 10:59 PM
Shels dropped out.
Derry went in as league winners
We went in as cup runners up

"as per competition rules" is how the FAI put it

i thought it was the next highest place in the league. From wikipedia "The competition features 4 teams from each league with the winners and runners-up of the respective leagues, the winners of the respective major cup competitions, FAI Cup, and Irish Cup, and the winners of the respective secondary cup competitions, the eircom League Cup and Northern Ireland League Cup being added. If a club has qualified via a cup win and would also qualify by league table position, one of the spots would be awarded to the next highest club in the league table that has not qualified via a cup win. However, this was ignored in Setanta's awarding of Shelbourne's spot in the 2007 competition to St. Patrick's Athletic, when, in fact, going by the rules of entry, it should have been awarded to Sligo Rovers. The competition is organised with two groups of four teams, semi-finals and a final."

sligoman
02/09/2007, 11:07 PM
Wikipedia isn't a reliable source as anyone cant edit it to what they want[not saying you did btw]. Setanta Cup is an invitational tournament, afaik they can invite who they want.

Dodge
02/09/2007, 11:42 PM
And that paragraph has been deleted out of that page before.

Dodge
02/09/2007, 11:59 PM
The rules were changed when the all Shels thing blew up i think hand on heart they wanted a Dublin club in it.

Of course they did

But you've no clue when they changed the rules.

Dodge
03/09/2007, 12:15 AM
How do you know it was at the end of last season? For all you know it could've been immediately after last years

Or even before it as it never came up before. POint I'm amking is its been done to death. for any more on it, use the search function

SligoBrewer
03/09/2007, 5:02 PM
I know, that is all i can say Dodge. Anyway i don't think we would have done ourselves justice as we were in bits around tat time, so probably best that we did not get in.

maybe we didnt get in cause the ground was a mess then.. a disgrace.

rubble from the shed strewn everywhere,
no floodlights, turnstiles etc.

and thats just off the pitch..

in hindsight, i think setanta made the right decision. at least pats were capable of holding football at richmond back then.

SligoBrewer
03/09/2007, 6:04 PM
No i don't think Brewer that was the case to be fair. I think Dodge and RF are it was manily because they would have wanted a Dublin club.

that might have come into it too.. but i hate sounding like a shannon airport protester about the wesht being ignored

REDdecky
03/09/2007, 9:26 PM
don't forget the gantry!

SligoBrewer
04/09/2007, 3:45 PM
Maybe it had something to do with not enough Daisies in the flower pot outside the club offices:rolleyes:. Brewer probably the only person worth reading on this forum so open those eyes !:cool:

is that a compliement or a dissing rf?

pineapple stu
04/09/2007, 4:50 PM
And that paragraph has been deleted out of that page before.
Probably by the FAI. Roll on Wikiscanner! :)