PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day at the office?

beautifulrock
01/09/2007, 6:05 PM
Is it me or was this a particularly bad day for the Irish lads:

1. Doyle misses pen
2. Kilbane sent off
3. McShane plays at right back
4. The above the only of the Sunderland Irish who started.
4. Geary sent off
5. Robbie taken off and not at all happy with it. Had two assists though.

:(, not good

tricky_colour
01/09/2007, 6:15 PM
It's not all bad news, Lee Trundle is sitting in a playoff spot for the Premiership :D

shakermaker1982
01/09/2007, 8:10 PM
any reason on why Given didn't sart today?

Fergie's Son
01/09/2007, 8:26 PM
Keane played a blinder though and McShane had a decent enough game.

onephillyhughes
01/09/2007, 8:47 PM
any reason on why Given didn't sart today?

Harpers good league form.

Not arsed about the sunderland contingent, how many of them would actually start in slovakia, one. and he played today.

And Keane set up 2 goals with some fantastic passes. had a great game.

co. down green
01/09/2007, 10:33 PM
Keane played a blinder though and McShane had a decent enough game.

Robbie had a great game today, his touches for Berbatov & Bale's goals were magic. He's the main man for Spurs. Why was he taken off ??

Kilbane should never have walked.

McShane had another good premiership display, the lad has a huge future in front of him. At 21, what a prospect.

Given fit for next week - happy days.

I agree with Tuff Paddy, We could have a very good week next week!

Imagine a really bad day, Given, Keane, Doyle & McShane injured !!

billybunter
01/09/2007, 11:47 PM
Robbie had a great game today, his touches for Berbatov & Bale's goals were magic. He's the main man for Spurs. Why was he taken off ??

Kilbane should never have walked.

McShane had another good premiership display, the lad has a huge future in front of him. At 21, what a prospect.

Given fit for next week - happy days.

I agree with Tuff Paddy, We could have a very good week next week!

Imagine a really bad day, Given, Keane, Doyle & McShane injured !!

an injury was my only fear before the day's kick off's. we know what each of the players could do, so I could give 2 shiites about any of their performances. good, fit squad is the perfect start to the 'american holidayweek-end" over here stateside. Looking forward to next saturday. Is there any truth in the rumor that stevie hunt had a dig at bellamy? to think bellamy got a smack 'on the puss would round off a good day...

geysir
02/09/2007, 11:24 AM
Robbie's first assist was a nice bit of play. Here you can say for sure he was anticipating the mistake with scientific precision as he took 2 or 3 steps backwards to be in the perfect position to knock the ball forward to Berbatov.

Stuttgart88
02/09/2007, 1:08 PM
I'd guess that Robbie was only taken off as jol thought the game was safe and he wanted to keep Defoe happy.

Not bothered about the lack of impact anyone made, the important thing as a clean bill of health.

On that front, anyone know why Carsley was subbed and Potter didn't even make the match day squad?

I believe Michael Doyle scored a belter. Anyone see how he played? He's unlucky to have been overlooked as he can play both CM and LHM, and I think might have covered at LB at times. I think he and Miller were both Celtic loanees at one point (Aarhus?). Maybe he's about to catch up / overtake Miller.

I'm a bit worried about Doyle's form. He's missed from the spot before so that's no big deal but the radio commentators were saying his touch was heavy throughout and I thought the same in Denmark.

In a way it might be no bad thing that the players aren't all having it easy at club level as it'll make them more determined to do well for Ireland and it'll be a welcome change for them. In the recent past I've felt that they were more than happy to be returning to their clubs having underperformed for us. Other way around now?

EalingGreen
02/09/2007, 1:25 PM

As a Spurs fan, Robbie is one of my favourite players and I stuck up for him on the Keane thread when many ROI fans were berating him.

However, I was at the match yesterday and whilst Robbie had by no means a bad game, he didn't have a particularly good game, either, at least not by the standards of last season.

The fact is, with the dominance and chances they had, Spurs should have buried Fulham by 4 or 5 goals by half time. When they didn't, it was hardly an outrageous decision to make a change up front with 25 minutes to go and in the circumstances, Defoe for Keane was the obvious choice, since Berbatov was the outstanding Spurs player.

If anything, avoiding the exertion of his sixth (?) full game in less than a month might actually benefit Robbie for next week (as well as avoiding the chance of sustaining a late injury against Fulham)

He'll be OK.

geysir
02/09/2007, 2:05 PM
On that front, anyone know why Carsley was subbed
As he was subbed by his more evil twin, I'd assume it was because Everton needed a goal and needed a more attacking midfielder to orchestrate it.

zinedineontour
02/09/2007, 2:42 PM
McShane injured as well unsure how bad injury as yet though

FarBeag
02/09/2007, 3:18 PM
Watched the Coventry v Preston game on Sky yesterday where Doyle and Tabb both played for Coventry. Tabb wasn’t great to be honest and was substituted after half time. I have never seen Doyle play before but if yesterdays performance is anything to go by, he is a good player. Played in CM and ran his legs off and scored a blinding goal from about 25yrds.

He appears a bit on the small side but strong and not afraid to get stuck in and is well able to give out commands. From what I saw he is worth a look but as I say it’s the first time I have seen him play.

geysir
02/09/2007, 3:21 PM
I see there are 3 players with some form of injuries on the EPL injury table.
Carsley - Hip
McShane - shoulder
Long - thumb broken
No indication of seriousness yet.

Sligo Hornet
02/09/2007, 3:21 PM
Watched the Coventry v Preston game on Sky yesterday where Doyle and Tabb both played for Coventry. Tabb wasn’t great to be honest and was substituted after half time. I have never seen Doyle play before but if yesterdays performance is anything to go by, he is a good player. Played in CM and ran his legs off and scored a blinding goal from about 25yrds.
He appears a bit on the small side but strong and not afraid to get stuck in and is well able to give out commands. From what I saw he is worth a look but as I say it’s the first time I have seen him play.

Great goal......but sady knocked a very good team off top spot!!:mad:

DeNiro
02/09/2007, 3:47 PM
Dunne sent off today. Defo bad day at office for him! Stephen Ireland substitued after 70 minutes.

Irish_Praha
02/09/2007, 3:50 PM
McGeady played no part in Celtic's 5-1 win against St. Mirren today

kingdom hoop
02/09/2007, 3:59 PM
Though wee Gordon did mention him in the same breath as Nakamura as one of Celtic's key players.

tricky_colour
02/09/2007, 4:14 PM
Still....good news about Trundle..

stojkovic
02/09/2007, 6:16 PM
Still....good news about Trundle..

Stalybridge Celtic, Rhyl, Wrexham, Southport and Swansea are all raging they let him go.

Stuttgart88
02/09/2007, 8:21 PM
I'm not sure Nakamura played either. I think McGeady missing was simply good squad management in context of a relatively easy game.

DmanDmythDledge
02/09/2007, 10:06 PM
I see there are 3 players with some form of injuries on the EPL injury table.
McShane - shoulder

No indication of seriousness yet.
Doubtful according to this (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/euro2008/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=29130).

reder
04/09/2007, 11:15 AM
The biggest worry for me is Kevin Doyle's form. He is well off form and judging by his performance and his penalty effort he is completely lacking confidence. He hasnt scored this season and doesnt look like doing so. I sincerely hope he doesnt turn out to be a one season wonder.

I have watched Robbie Keane playing for Spurs and have no worries about him. He ran himself into the ground in all the games I watched and is setting up goals scoring chances.

McShane is a solid defender and he will do his job, I have no doubt about that.

Dunne getting sent off was just one of those things, nothing too much in it, these things happen to a centre half now and again.

Kilbane's sending off was a joke and shouldnt even be considered talking about.

cheifo
04/09/2007, 12:08 PM
Baileban, that in a word is ridiculous.

NeilMcD
04/09/2007, 12:11 PM
Thats long out with a borken thumb anyway !!!!!

irishfan86
04/09/2007, 6:02 PM
I don't understand how a broken thumb is keeping him out unless there is a serious risk of losing mobility.

I've broken my thumb 3 times and I've played through it every time.

My brother played with a full cast on his arm FFS!

Sligo Hornet
04/09/2007, 7:03 PM
What was he doing? Texting?!!!

:D:D Quality!

billybunter
04/09/2007, 9:29 PM
Said it already on the Trundle thread - Doyle offers nothing - unfortunately for Ireland he will sink like a stone - will be back playing in Ireland in 3 years time - you read it here first!!!

Actually, he wil be back playing in Ireland in October - you exceeded your time frame by almost 2.5 years - That is some prediction! I think if Steve Coppell trusts Doyler to be his center forward, then far be it from me to say he is a bad player. Doyle is a threat in the air, runs his bolicks off, strong, and the perfect complement to Robbie's sorcery.