PDA

View Full Version : Who's Going Down

Pages : [1] 2

Tis-smeee
31/08/2007, 11:38 PM
With Drogheda Virtually assured of the Title who does everyone think is going down and who is going into the play offs?

dcfcsteve
31/08/2007, 11:44 PM
I have to say - Longford are really coming good at the right part of the season.

I suspect they'll keep that momentum going and over-take Waterford to make the play-off spot. I think they've left it a little too late to pip Bray to safety - but I wouldn't rule it out at the moment either !

So Waterford down, Longford in 11th a point or 2 behind Bray in safety

sligoman
31/08/2007, 11:46 PM
Play-off=Galway
Relegation=United

sonofstan
31/08/2007, 11:50 PM
'Who is' or, if you insist, 'Who's'.

Tis-smeee
31/08/2007, 11:53 PM
'Who is' or, if you insist, 'Who's'.

Who is sad? Why not answer the question? Why am I Replying?

Torn-Ado
01/09/2007, 12:20 AM
Relegation: Longford
Play-off: Waterford

Hibs4Ever
01/09/2007, 7:36 AM
After last nights match I'll definitely go with Waterford getting relegated

Bray for play off

CuanaD
01/09/2007, 7:40 AM
something like 5 wins in their last 6 games for Longford - now only 1 point behind Waterford. I can't see waterford staying ahead. & if Longford end up in the play-off place, that form should see them comfortably win. in fact Galway would be my pick for the play-off spot, i feel that longford will get up to them & Bray, & that bray's experience will get them just ahead of galway

Pauro 76
01/09/2007, 8:01 AM
Id have to say Waterford for relegation.
Not sure we can avoid the playoff but if it comes to that, we'll definitely have a chance.

Poor Student
01/09/2007, 8:18 AM
The only thing is that Longford's run of form has come early enough for them to run out of steam. It'll take a further sustained effort for the remaining third to keep them pushing upwards. Waterford being allowed to remain in the Premier has been a disaster.

Student Mullet
01/09/2007, 8:29 AM
Exactly ..they add nothing to the league at all with some shocking attendances. They belong in Div 1
I agree.

Neish
01/09/2007, 10:43 AM
Playoff: Longford
Relegated: Waterford

Hibs4Ever
01/09/2007, 10:45 AM
Exactly ..they add nothing to the league at all with some shocking attendances. They belong in Div 1

Same could be said of a fair few other clubs though

pete
01/09/2007, 10:52 AM
I think Longford will get into 9th place. I think Matthews decided to go for broke a few months ago & I have never seen them attack so much.

Bray will stay ahead of Waterford due to head start. Waterford don't look like they can win any games.

Maroon 7
01/09/2007, 11:03 AM
Play off - Longford
Relegated - Waterford

noby
01/09/2007, 11:09 AM
The only thing is that Longford's run of form has come early enough for them to run out of steam. It'll take a further sustained effort for the remaining third to keep them pushing upwards. Waterford being allowed to remain in the Premier has been a disaster.
We weren't "allowed remain in the league", and you well know it.

noby
01/09/2007, 11:37 AM
Are you serious?

pineapple stu
01/09/2007, 11:51 AM
Is Cupcakes serious?

Are you serious?!

Theskinloyal
01/09/2007, 12:02 PM
Longford playing well but really can't see them doing it.

Waterford were very lucky last season that Shels stood up and said 'No listen lads we'll go down instead, no go on back to the Premier Division we'll have a go with the first division'....really wish we hadn't done that

d rovers
01/09/2007, 12:02 PM
longford to make the play off spot & waterford to be relegated.

longford are on a great run at the moment, & they should finish ahead of waterford.

pineapple stu
01/09/2007, 12:03 PM
really wish we hadn't done that
:eek:

You'd be relegated by now if you hadn't.

And probably wouldn't have been let stay up whether you liked it or not.

I can see Longford losing a lot of players at the end of the season over wage issues, so kind of hope they stay up so we have one cannon fodder team next year.

kdjaC
01/09/2007, 12:34 PM
Waterford get Mulcahy back next week, type of player that can keep a team, break someones leg, score a cracker.

Dunno who will be relegated if longford lose Mooney they buggered.

kdjac

half_full
01/09/2007, 1:42 PM
We have three must win games (Galway, Longford, Bray). IF we get 9 points from those I think we may have a fighting chance of the playoffs.

WoodquayBoy
01/09/2007, 2:22 PM
Massive game for Waaaatherfurd this weekend, home to Bray. Longford are on a cracking run and have Sligo this Saturday, UCD have a misfiring Cork and United host Drogheda. Will be a lot clearer after those games, but reckon Waaaatherfurd are gone, and Longford will just run out of steam to pip Bray for 10th, but will have too much for Cobh in play-off final, with Harps coming straight up and Cobh beating Dundalk in play-off semi:ball:

Sonic
01/09/2007, 3:32 PM
Massive game for Waaaatherfurd this weekend, home to Bray. Longford are on a cracking run and have Sligo this Saturday, UCD have a misfiring Cork and United host Drogheda. Will be a lot clearer after those games, but reckon Waaaatherfurd are gone, and Longford will just run out of steam to pip Bray for 10th, but will have too much for Cobh in play-off final, with Harps coming straight up and Cobh beating Dundalk in play-off semi:ball:

Its all ifs and buts at the end of the day! Itl be a little more clearer after October because in that month for us we play Galway Waterford Bray and UCD in row so thats going to be D moment of truth for us!

Hibs4Ever
01/09/2007, 4:11 PM
Waterford get Mulcahy back next week, type of player that can keep a team, break someones leg, score a cracker.

Dunno who will be relegated if longford lose Mooney they buggered.

kdjac

Big time

Da Real Rover
01/09/2007, 4:45 PM
Relegation - Waterford
Play Offs - Longford

green army
01/09/2007, 6:41 PM
think waterford will go down. they were very poor last night.

Terry
01/09/2007, 7:57 PM
relegated: Waterford
Playoff: Longford

Blue-Army
01/09/2007, 10:36 PM
Gets even worse for the Blues....Daryl Kavanagh broke his leg in training tonight!!

SligoBrewer
01/09/2007, 10:44 PM
waherford automagically..
galway in the play-offs

Blue-Army
01/09/2007, 10:46 PM
They have better attendences that many other clubs though...and to be fair any club would struggle having to play in the premier after preparing for the first division and only finding out a week before the league began!!!

oRDGj3Lw9fo

dcfcsteve
02/09/2007, 1:04 AM
Same could be said of a fair few other clubs though

Like who ? Only UCD have worse crowds - and they cetainly add to the league in terms of performance and players.

No other team in the Premier was literally relegated on the pitch last season either....

dcfcsteve
02/09/2007, 1:12 AM
They have better attendences that many other clubs though...]

Who in the Premier, bar UCD....?

P.S. Nice displays.
P.P.S. Why have you said 'they' rather than 'we'...?

dcfcsteve
02/09/2007, 2:54 AM
Longford playing well but really can't see them doing it.

Waterford were very lucky last season that Shels stood up and said 'No listen lads we'll go down instead, no go on back to the Premier Division we'll have a go with the first division'....really wish we hadn't done that

How frightfully gallant of you !

All hail the noble Shels - taking one on the chin for the little clubs in the league...

:o

pineapple stu
02/09/2007, 9:36 AM
Like who ? Only UCD have worse crowds - and they cetainly add to the league in terms of performance and players.
Actually, we don't even have the lowest crowds in the Premier.

Poor Student
02/09/2007, 9:40 AM
We weren't "allowed remain in the league", and you well know it.

Whatever you care to call it it's not good for Waterford or the league. Waterford would probably have been challenging for promotion this year and could have entered the Premier next year with a redeveloped RSC on the crest of a positive feeling. Instead they're languishing around the bottom reaches of the Premier for two successive years and will possibly be relegated on the field in back to back seasons playing to a reasonably large stadium in the First next year.

half_full
02/09/2007, 10:57 AM
We have a hardcore support of approx. 500, hardly the lowest hardcore in the premier now is it? Our average over the last 3/4 years has been about 1000 which isnt bad considering the circumstances. Its not so long ago we had gates of 3 and 4,000+

As for credentials for being a 'proper' football club I think that after 77 years of Senior football we just about meet the requirements:D

half_full
02/09/2007, 11:09 AM
We have a long and proud history, better than a lot of clubs and we dont spend money we dont have either. Hopefully in 2 or 3 years WUFC can be in that upper mid-table area of the league and building towards greater success. For the mean time we will have to be content with survival.

stann
02/09/2007, 12:52 PM
Luckily for us, Cupcakes, it's not up to you, or Poor Student, who gets to be in the top tier.
We probably will go down this season but we'll relegate ourselves thanks very much, so you can hang onto to those pronouncements from on high.
Mind that inflated sense of self-importance if you're moving about near anything sharp, won't you. :D

Niall
02/09/2007, 2:16 PM
Cupcakes, you stick with the EPL and let the rest of us WUFC fans worry about our club. TBH I was disappointed we accepted the offer of prem football this year as we were making progress off-season in preping a strong squad to challenge for promotion and actually having a winning season, but I'm making this pronouncement from the perspective of watching the club for almost a quarter of a century- your's seems to be a one off game.

As for UCD "fans" commenting on WUFC not bringing anything to the league - don't make me laugh !

WoodquayBoy
02/09/2007, 2:58 PM
Niall, I am with you on that point regarding my own club too. I think another season in the First Division would have done United no harm, give the manager a full season to bed in, and there is also the money to think of as well - I think if United were in the First, and had finished top four, they would need to finish 6th in Prem to match that (open to correction here).
Next season though is the real dog eat dog one with 3 down, so on the flip side maybe the year in the Prem will help prepare for that big battle

Poor Student
02/09/2007, 3:17 PM
As for UCD "fans" commenting on WUFC not bringing anything to the league - don't make me laugh !

Actually one UCD fan (no inverted commas) stated it's damaging for Waterford and the league to have one team get relegated two years in row. I think the development of the club would have been served better by you getting promoted this year than suffering relegation again. Never said you didn't bring anything to the league.

dcfcsteve
02/09/2007, 3:25 PM
Ive no sense ... at all.

:ball:

noby
02/09/2007, 8:02 PM
Poor Student, re-read the thread re: UCD fans.
Anyway I agree with Niall that with our preparation for the first division the club would have been better served to be in that division, but how could any club with any kind of ambitions turn down an invitation to the premier league? Let's not forget that every club in the premier league this year were invited, and I didn't see any other club turn it down.

Anyway:
Palyoff: Longford
Relegated: Cup winners, Waterford United. For the good of the league.

superfrank
02/09/2007, 8:46 PM
We were dirt against Bohs and this Jekyll and Hyde show which has been going on for most of the season, is gettng very worrying. We struggle with the teams around us and play better when the pressures off against the top sides.

However, the Bohs display was inept and woeful. We're heading down a slippy slope and, since the win in Galway, it's been getting faster. Longford are catching up, Galway have finally got going (it appears). Should we lose to Waterford the gap is down to one point and we still have to play UCD and Longford away in the next few weeks.

I'm not one to make predictions but it'll be two from Longford, ourselves, Waterford and Galway.

pineapple stu
02/09/2007, 8:50 PM
I'm not one to make predictions but it'll be two from Longford, ourselves, Waterford and Galway.
I see. So you reckon it'll be two from the four teams who are battling relegation who'll go down?

Really putting your neck on the line there! :p

superfrank
02/09/2007, 8:58 PM
I see. So you reckon it'll be two from the four teams who are battling relegation who'll go down?

Really putting your neck on the line there! :p
I really think it's too close to call definitely.

Olander
02/09/2007, 9:00 PM
Playoff : Longford Town
Relegated:Waterford United

DmanDmythDledge
02/09/2007, 9:59 PM
Playoff: Galway
Relegation: Waterford

Ourselves and Bray will be fine- we've better players than the other sides and the gap between us and them will be greater at the end of the season.

Longford have the players to pull away from Galway but the points deduction will ensure that it will be tight. Waterford will trail behind.