http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6969651.stm

Shocking stuff - dont want to see the guy on a GAA field again

Dodge
30/08/2007, 12:24 PM
Well if the GAA follow the (American) NFL's lead they'll ban him indefinitely

Not sure if thats right tbh.

Aberdonian Stu
30/08/2007, 12:34 PM
It'll be hard for the GAA to punish him as I don't think there are any formal rules that allow for conduct outside of a Gaelic Games environment (covers off the field activity in clubhouses, etc) that can cover it.

If anyone knows differently please feel free to correct me.

I know in the Vick case the NFL had formal structures in place to address such matters.

Dodge
30/08/2007, 12:52 PM
I know in the Vick case the NFL had formal structures in place to address such matters.

But the lngth of the ban is at the discretion of the commish

Torn-Ado
30/08/2007, 1:41 PM
So its Gerard Cavlan.

It said on the RTE website a famous Ulster footballer but didn't give a name.

Neish
30/08/2007, 2:07 PM
Show is on BBC(not sure if its 1 or 2) tonight at 9pm, should be banned for life then again small brain animals fighting & gaa is there a difference?

beautifulrock
30/08/2007, 2:17 PM
Show is on BBC(not sure if its 1 or 2) tonight at 9pm, should be banned for life then again small brain animals fighting & gaa is there a difference?

Other than small brains posting in forums ...:confused:

monutdfc
30/08/2007, 2:26 PM
So its Gerard Cavlan.

It said on the RTE website a famous Ulster footballer but didn't give a name.
I'm pretty sure he was already prosecuted for offences relating to dog-fighting a few months ago...
...I'll Google it now

Edit: I've just read the linked article!

pete
30/08/2007, 2:53 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6969651.stm

Shocking stuff - dont want to see the guy on a GAA field again

Disgusting. If he was a player for club I supported I wouldn't want him to ever play for us again.

OneRedArmy
30/08/2007, 3:06 PM
Disgusting. If he was a player for club I supported I wouldn't want him to ever play for us again.
Thats Tyrone people for you.....;)

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 3:24 PM
Pete, if you ask me its all the GAA's fault. :rolleyes:

Btw, did you hear them at it again at the weekend, or were you able pull yourself away from "just having the tele on in the background" from the all ireland semi-final :D

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 8:54 PM
ha ha that was class

"show me the picture" look, and then whoops the cops come along, he wasn't expecting that!!!!

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 8:56 PM
good one, show the paddies out to be the non pro-active people as usual.

Lionel Ritchie
30/08/2007, 9:54 PM
Disgusting carry on. Watching it at the minute.

Casei11
30/08/2007, 10:45 PM
disgraceful stuff,cavlan will get some abuse if he ever appears on a gaelic pitch again and rightly so

Dodge
30/08/2007, 10:53 PM
Threads in Off topic and other sports merged an put in current affairs

--

Am I the only one who thought the sight of about 6 grown men watching dogs fight was pathetic?

Hard to watch the actual dog fights. Pretty damning evidence all round

lopez
30/08/2007, 11:14 PM
Tonight on a BBC Panorama Special/ BBC NI Spotlight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/08_august/30/dog.shtml

OneRedArmy
30/08/2007, 11:46 PM
I think as punishment Cavlan should be made to fight another dog fighting pimp (preferably another Tyrone footballer...but maybe thats asking too much) whilst a group of dogs look on.

Possibly smoking cigars and betting like in those paintings....

Superhoops
30/08/2007, 11:50 PM
I think as punishment Cavlan should be made to fight another dog fighting pimp (preferably another Tyrone footballer...but maybe thats asking too much) whilst a group of dogs look on.

Possibly smoking cigars and betting like in those paintings....

Kerry's Paul Galvin might be a suitable opponent, He is a bit of a mad dog!!! :D

dcfcsteve
31/08/2007, 1:12 AM
Shocking stuff indeed. Though I have to say, it doesn't surprise me to hear that type of thing goes on in small town country Ireland. As one of the Farmers Boys said to try to brush away the death of that kid in Liverpool : "This is just a problem in English inner cities".

That said - there is a serious problem in South London with angry dogs now being used by kids as weapons. Walk down the street with a knife and you'll get arrested. Walk down the street with an illegal animal bred to attack and that can do nearly as much damage to you as a knife, and no-one bats an eye-lid. Crazy...

A few things would need to happen following that programme :

1) The Tyrone guy should be dropped form the Tyrone GAA Panel. I would say for good. The GAA doesn't need people like that (particularly when it's struggling to hold onto positive role-models like a law-abiding Protestant hurler).
2) If there is scope for it within the rules, he should be disciplined by the GAA for bringing the game into disrepute (or similar).
3) Now that he has been exposed as having lied in both his trial and his subsequent appeal, he should be back in court on perjury charges, re-tried on the original offence, and given a stiffer scentence. He should also be banned from owning dogs for life.
4) The Irish government needs to question why it hasn't also banned breeds of dogs that have been designed solley for fighting. Or will some kid in Dublin or Limerick need to get ripped to shreds before they bother their arses....

Will be interesting to see what the fall out in Tyrone and Tandragee is in the next week....

dcfcsteve
31/08/2007, 1:13 AM
What was the name of the village they were drinking in ? Tanagree or something like that ?

EDIT : Tandragee

How could you not know Tandragee - the home of Tayto Castle.....!?!?

beautifulrock
31/08/2007, 8:24 AM
[QUOTE=dcfcsteve;759706]
1) The Tyrone guy should be dropped form the Tyrone GAA Panel. I would say for good. The GAA doesn't need people like that (particularly when it's struggling to hold onto positive role-models like a law-abiding Protestant hurler).

As a matter of interest, as I did not watch the programme did any of the others involved play any field sports?

monutdfc
31/08/2007, 8:26 AM
3) Now that he has been exposed as having lied in both his trial and his subsequent appeal, he should be back in court on perjury charges, re-tried on the original offence, and given a stiffer scentence. He should also be banned from owning dogs for life.

Jeffrey Archer got 2 years for perjury in a civil case (or was it 4?). No reason why Cavlan should treated differently.

GuisaSaigon
31/08/2007, 9:26 AM
Caught the last 20 minutes of it last night, sick b@st@rds. Should be locked up.

Dodge
31/08/2007, 9:32 AM
As a matter of interest, as I did not watch the programme did any of the others involved play any field sports?

They didn't look the type (older, unfit) and it wasn't mentioned

Lionel Ritchie
31/08/2007, 11:31 AM
How could you not know Tandragee - the home of Tayto Castle.....!?!?

..and don't forget that slippy cocked young hellraiser Paul Berry.

Schumi
31/08/2007, 12:22 PM
I think as punishment Cavlan should be made to fight another dog fighting pimp (preferably another Tyrone footballer...but maybe thats asking too much) whilst a group of dogs look on.Isn't that what Croke Park is for?

pete
31/08/2007, 12:43 PM
I missed the programme last night. Do BBC show Panorama on their web site?

The punishment for dog flighting would appear to be minimal. The only activity like that can be punished is through public shaming.

Any club or organisation that allows someone like this remain as a member condones the act.

Dodge
31/08/2007, 12:47 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/default.stm

Seems to be. not sure if it'll be available in D'Republic

kingdom hoop
31/08/2007, 8:38 PM
Kerry's Paul Galvin might be a suitable opponent,

Demeanour? Check
Attitude? Check
Violent character? Check
Availability? No. Booked up for next two weeks in preparation for his fight against a pack of mongrels led by the most horrible, battle-weary, chip-on-shoulder pitbull of them all.:cool:

----------

Watched the show last night. Horrifying stuff. Surely, if pretty shamefully, this will push our authorities into action, though policing such an area would seem to be very difficult in that announcing a ban will have little to no effect without follow-on scrutinous checks at entry points, and even at that it would still seem very much like an uphill battle. But there are two issues here, dog-fighting as an outlawed 'sport' and dangerous dogs on our streets. The former, given the evidence BBC uncovered, should now be severely dissipated, but one wonders if the latter will ever be overcome given the practical difficulties of stamping it out and the pig-headedness and stupidity of certain people.

Lim till i die
31/08/2007, 9:33 PM
one wonders if the latter will ever be overcome given the practical difficulties of stamping it out and the pig-headedness and stupidity of certain people.

Whats pig headed and stupid is blaming the dogs

My mate has an American pitbull and he's one of the cutest, most playful dogs I've ever came across

These dogs behaviour is all down to the way they are raised (for want of a better term)

It's the scum who raise the dogs to be vicious are the problem

Besides, they're the very same type of people that if you take their dogs away they will just replace them with a gun or a knife or an iron bar

Lionel Ritchie
31/08/2007, 10:26 PM
...ah yes, the mythological pitbull that's great with kids.

Maybe if we ever get round to outlawing them we should go for a two-for-one deal and outlaw Chavs with them. Just a thought.

dcfcsteve
31/08/2007, 10:58 PM

National ploughing championships.....

dcfcsteve
31/08/2007, 11:00 PM

Maybe if we ever get round to outlawing them we should go for a two-for-one deal and outlaw Chavs with them. Just a thought.

We do need a people license, as well as a dog one.......

Lim till i die
01/09/2007, 11:05 AM

Reasoned, well thought out debate here :rolleyes:

sadloserkid
01/09/2007, 11:20 AM
4) The Irish government needs to question why it hasn't also banned breeds of dogs that have been designed solley for fighting.

Didn't Dublin City Council ban ownership of certain breeds in their estates a few months?

Lim till i die
01/09/2007, 11:29 AM
Didn't Dublin City Council ban ownership of certain breeds in their estates a few months?

Thought that myself but it's pretty unenforceable IMO

pete
01/09/2007, 12:29 PM
Watched it on the BBC website. Truly the Republic has blood on its hands. Why have these dogs not been banned here yet? :confused:

kingdom hoop
01/09/2007, 12:38 PM
Besides, they're the very same type of people that if you take their dogs away they will just replace them with a gun or a knife or an iron bar

Knives don't randomly attack kids though! If the bad dogs are taken away at least less innocent bystanders will suffer. The only way to do this is with an outright ban on the particular breeds. I don't know the extent of the problem though so whether impinging on personal liberty, like your friend, without any guaranteed success is worth a ban I really have no idea. Particularly now given that one presumes dog-fighting is on the way out, and thus the demand and supply of the really wild dogs should fall.

Dodge
01/09/2007, 2:40 PM
Watched it on the BBC website. Truly the Republic has blood on its hands. Why have these dogs not been banned here yet? :confused:

Dog blood.

half_full
02/09/2007, 11:35 AM
Whats pig headed and stupid is blaming the dogs

My mate has an American pitbull and he's one of the cutest, most playful dogs I've ever came across

These dogs behaviour is all down to the way they are raised (for want of a better term)

It's the scum who raise the dogs to be vicious are the problem

Well said ive seen pitbulls who are very placid, it all depends on the dog owner/previous owners

Lionel Ritchie
02/09/2007, 11:58 AM
Seemingly Bertie is going to take a look at this following a complaint from Ian Paisley. Not before time.

And as for LTID and half fulls 'Placid Pitbulls'. Whatever ...though in my experience these examples are usually only 'placid' in the eye of someone who's used to pitbulls.

I could go far beyond pitbulls and just into the general realm of dog-owners for plenty of examples of people who think their ill-diciplined, dangerous animal is "harmless".

I'd say there's few enough on here who've not seen a genuinely frightened individual, be they adult or child, told "relax ...it's only an auld dog".:rolleyes:

Fcuk 'em. Round them up and shoot the lot ...(then put the dogs to sleep humanely;))

dcfcsteve
02/09/2007, 3:34 PM
I could go far beyond pitbulls and just into the general realm of dog-owners for plenty of examples of people who think their ill-diciplined, dangerous animal is "harmless".

Invariably the same people who simply refuse to believe that their wee kids do anything wrong or bad, for example.

I suspect there's a strong correlation between bad parents and bad dog-owners....

half_full
02/09/2007, 7:26 PM
Seemingly Bertie is going to take a look at this following a complaint from Ian Paisley. Not before time.

And as for LTID and half fulls 'Placid Pitbulls'. Whatever ...though in my experience these examples are usually only 'placid' in the eye of someone who's used to pitbulls.

I'd say there's few enough on here who've not seen a genuinely frightened individual, be they adult or child, told "relax ...it's only an auld dog".:rolleyes:

Fcuk 'em. Round them up and shoot the lot ...(then put the dogs to sleep humanely;))

Im not saying that pitbulls cant be vicious, but they are no worse imo than any other dogs if kept/trained/treated properley

monutdfc
02/09/2007, 9:24 PM
Im not saying that pitbulls cant be vicious, but they are no worse imo than any other dogs if kept/trained/treated properley
Not true. American pitbulls are bred to fight. Thus they have tremendous strength in their jaws, so even if they were of a similar temperment to other dogs they pose a much greater threat if they do attack.
But allied to that - like many purebred breeds - in-breeding gives them dodgy temperment; but in this case it is deliberate and American Pitbulls are bred to have a vicous temperment. [I'll post again with references to back up these assertions.]

pete
03/09/2007, 12:13 PM
Anyone who gets a Pitbull as a family pet probably has some serious child rearing issues. It could be argued they not fit to rear a child to take such a risk.

Edit: The GAA seem to be washing their hands of & saying its a matter for the civil courts. Obviously he has not been convicted but even allowing for the fact it was a TV programme he clearly not innocent.

RTE News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0831/dogfighting.html?rss)

OneRedArmy
03/09/2007, 1:24 PM
Well said ive seen pitbulls who are very placid, it all depends on the dog owner/previous ownersNo it doesn't. Plenty of examples of mature, previous sedentry, well looked after pitbulls flipping suddenly and attacking and mutilating children and other dogs.

As mentioned above not only are they better equipped physically to cause injury but maiming and fighting is in their DNA. It may lie dormant for years but they are fighting dogs.

Dodge
03/09/2007, 1:49 PM
Edit: The GAA seem to be washing their hands of & saying its a matter for the civil courts. Obviously he has not been convicted but even allowing for the fact it was a TV programme he clearly not innocent.

He has already pleaded (plead?) guilty to owning an illegal dog. He was fined

jebus
03/09/2007, 2:45 PM
Knives don't randomly attack kids though! If the bad dogs are taken away at least less innocent bystanders will suffer. The only way to do this is with an outright ban on the particular breeds.

I agree with this, and I also think we should start banning particular types of humans, I believe the correct term is genocide? I mean knives don't randomly attack kids do they? Someone has to be behind it, probably the same type of vermain that train these animals to be vicious killers. So why blame the dog when the fault is clearly with the owner? Give the scumbag who mistreats his dog heavy jail time, fine them quite a large sum of cash, or just allow vicious bulldogs to knaw at his/her genitals.

Just to condense my points, a) anyone who blames these animals for being the way they are has never raised a dog, I've never had experiences with a bulldog, but a friend of mine owned a rottweiler, who was a perfectly friendly dog, and b) it's time we started putting down humans. Thank you.

Dodge
03/09/2007, 2:55 PM
Just to condense my points, a) anyone who blames these animals for being the way they are has never raised a dog, I've never had experiences with a bulldog, but a friend of mine owned a rottweiler, who was a perfectly friendly dog

but Rottweilers aren't bred to fight. American pitbulls are. The only reason they exist is to fight

I'm sure there's a few pussy pitbulls about, but in the main they're mocked and laughed at by the real American pitbulls.