PDA

View Full Version : There must be something in the water down in Waterford

UCD_4_Life
13/04/2003, 11:19 PM
McGeogh targets success

Waterford boss, Jimmy McGeogh, has admitted that he is targeting a place in the top four and that having to worry about survival is the last thing on his mind.

The Blues manager was talking following his side’s humiliating 4-0 home defeat by Shelbourne in the opening round of the eircom Premier Division. Most neutral supporters immediately believed that Waterford would have a season dominated by trying to avoid the drop, but McGeogh thinks otherwise.

“Survival? That’s not even on the agenda,” revealed McGeough. “We can make the top four. We’ll be very competitive. We won’t be beaten easily; we’ll be enthusiastic about winning.

The bottom line is that history shows that we are not going to be able to compete realistically with other teams who have more experience than us, have better players than us, who have more money than us, who are more skilful than us. We know all that. I just hope my guys will prove to be as mentally tough as they were last season.

“The bare facts of the matter are that this club doesn’t have money to throw around like other clubs seem to have. We have other things which we need to concentrate on at the club but we have introduced a number of key players who I think will improve the squad.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard of blind optimism but this is ridiculous.

pineapple stu
14/04/2003, 1:54 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
I've heard of blind optimism but this is ridiculous.

Hope so anyway!

Xlex
14/04/2003, 2:44 PM
it's the eircom league's very own.... Comical Jim...;)

pete
14/04/2003, 3:05 PM
I don't think Waterford will be easily relegated as its their games against Drogs & UCD not $hel$ that will decide their fate. On the other hand claiming Waterford can target a top 4 place is a bit much.

The league may have been very close from 5th to 9th last year but with 36 instead of 27 games this season i don't think it'll be that close again in 2003.

Blue Muff
14/05/2003, 11:33 AM
Blued have maintained their top four position ands thats after playing last years 1, 2 and 3. :D. Whereas the blues will be challenging for top 4, students and the Drogs - well best of luck in the first division next year.

Iorfa
14/05/2003, 2:08 PM
Well, Blue Muff, i think that's the kind of attitude that will come back to bite us in the arse come the end of the season. There's only been 6 games played boy, lets not get carried away just yet.

Blue Muff
14/05/2003, 2:19 PM
No its just opposite attitude that Paul Power brought to this club ""We're not good enough Matt" Jimmy has brought belief in this team that we can do well. J. M. is a winner and there is no reason bar the negative attitudes of some supporters that de Blues cant get back to where we belong.
Munster Rugby showed what a little bit of self belief can achieve. If we dont have faith in our manager and our team who will?

Iorfa
14/05/2003, 2:25 PM
I agree with you that we should have absolute faith in Jimmy and the lads, and I hope you didn't take up what I said the wrong way. I agree that our start has been phenomenal but all I'm saying is that our defence has been a little suspect and our squad is wafer-thin, an injury crisis could harm us deeply. Or who knows, maybe I'm just naturally pessimistic!!!!! Here's to a top half finish either way.........

Blue Muff
14/05/2003, 2:29 PM
Yea right, our squad is very light and a few injuries could hit us badly. I think the defence altough has let in some soft goals will come good.

Jimmy has signed a new player form the US, dont know a whole lot about him but at least we are strenghtening the squad. Up de blues

UCD_4_Life
14/05/2003, 5:11 PM
I stand by my original :D and I still believe that Waterford will be down with us, Derry and Drogheda at the end of the season.

Iorfa
14/05/2003, 5:23 PM
Well, believe away UCD4Life............I believe UCD may well be rooted to the bottom for the foreseeable future, with Derry/Drogs and Longford not far behind. We do have the impetus and the confidence behind us now to put a bit of daylight between us and the bottom

Blue Muff
15/05/2003, 9:23 AM
Not to memtion some of the best support in the country (5000 expected for the Rovers game) which is something UCD are lacking in abundance. Will UCD be a loss to the Premier league????????????????????????????????????????? I think not

Soko
16/05/2003, 2:59 AM
Come back to us when you have lost three games in a row and tell us what you're crowds are like. Bit harsh to criticise UCD for fans, what if WIT had a team would they get many fans? I think not.

Blue Muff
16/05/2003, 10:05 AM
Thats rich coming form a Cork City man. Cork are famous for being the biggest sunshine supporters in the el. When the blues spent much of the last 10 years in the first division our average crowd was still 1500. Do you think Cork would get that crowd?

Now that yee have lost 8 points out of nine lets see what your next crowd will be????? Cause the Bluse are going second in the table tonight

pineapple stu
16/05/2003, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by Iorfa
I believe UCD may well be rooted to the bottom for the foreseeable future, with Derry/Drogs and Longford not far behind.

:confused: :confused:

Confuse us, would we?! ;)

McGeough's right to talk up his team and give them confidence, especially after the start yez've had, so fair play to him for that. But Drogheda did the same last season and look what happened. I reckon your squad's a bit thin, and yez could well struggle in the last third of the season. In the meantime, though, yez have to enjoy being up with the big boys. (Or so I'm told...:( )

Soko
16/05/2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Blue Muff
Thats rich coming form a Cork City man. Cork are famous for being the biggest sunshine supporters in the el. When the blues spent much of the last 10 years in the first division our average crowd was still 1500. Do you think Cork would get that crowd?

Now that yee have lost 8 points out of nine lets see what your next crowd will be????? Cause the Bluse are going second in the table tonight

Well fortunatley we've never had that problem. I really dont know where you get the idea that City have the biggest sunshine support in the league though. True there are many people who come just for the big games like Rovers, Bohs and Shels but there were still 6,000 at an unnattractive game against Waterford. CItys crowds have always been above 1500, sure there were over 2000 at the League cup game full of reserves and rejects. Oh ya, there will easily 5000 plus at our next game- Its at home to $hel$.

Back to my original point, it is pretty difficult for a club which cant hold onto players to get crowds. Mainly students watch the games and that reduces target crowds greatly. I'd just give their fans a bit of a break, thats all.

Blue Muff
19/05/2003, 8:58 AM
Once again de Blues kicked ass with another one of the Dub teams - when are people going to stop rating us as relegation contenders. Another home game next week should see us take another 3 points and possibly go top at the almost the quarter mark stage!:p

ian
19/05/2003, 4:20 PM
Well i think that waterford will stay up this season. Maybe you will be fighting at the end. As for the crowds at the Cork city games there is all ways 1500 to 2000 fans at all city match day's and the bigger the game the better the crowed. Blue Muff i think thet you are talking sh#t about the crowds at the cross .You are only geting the crowds back for the big games. I say you had small crowd's at the start of last season but at the end of the season you were geting large crowd's. Best of luck for the rest of the season and hopefully you will stay up so we all don't haft to go to dublin all the time.:ball: :ball: