PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere or the lack of it for that matter.

Colm
13/04/2003, 5:03 PM
Just a few comments on the lack of atmosphere at the game last night. At this point in time I think it is safe to say we have sh!t fans who don't want to create an atmosphere, don't ever travel to away matches and the majority of whom only go to home matches when things are going well.

The shed was last night as quiet as I've ever heard it, maybe thats down to the fact that the few guys that always used try to get some chants going (including myself) went elsewhere last night. However, there were still hundereds of loyal supporters, and I use that term in the loosest sense possibe, in the shed. Do these people think that someone else is always going start a chant or do something for the atmosphere while they look on? There were, in fairness, one or two fellas trying last night but in truth they were only wasting their time.

The only bit of noise last night was coming from a few of the corner boys and those of us that were standing on the grassy knoll beside the shed. The drums did make a lot of noise and we tried to get a lot of things going but would the majority of the muppets in the shed join in? Of course not.

The flags added to the atmosphere big time and looked fantastic, even if they were difficult to wave! Hopefully as time goes on more flags and banners will be made or purchased.

What is wrong with City fans? We were outsung yet again last night. How do people expect the team to preform on the pitch if they are getting no support or encouragement from the fans. When the whole Murphy saga was going on a lot of people were saying how everyone should get behind the team, well why didnt anyone do that yesterday?

There's not a whole lot more I can say really apart from the fact that the Sheds dead and the vast majority of our fans are morons!

Real ale Madrid
13/04/2003, 5:51 PM
The main reason for the lack of atmosphere last night was the game. NOTHING WAS HAPPENING. You get p*ssed off singing after a while if there is sh@g all happening on the pitch.

Fans are not morons.

hayser
13/04/2003, 6:33 PM
Yeah and we enjoyed the match:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SEI

Pat MacGroyne
13/04/2003, 6:36 PM
I felt the atmosphere last night was dead if you could even call it an atmosphere at that. Fair play to the lads who were singing a version of Blurs Country House- they were trying to get an atmosphere going but all who responded were my friends and I, Eanna and his friends and a couple of others who I heard but couldnt see.

The Shed is officially dead.

PS Why did the guards/stewards do nothing about the pot noodle being thrown around by the little scumbags?? A fella by me and his son were destroyed in it .

A face
13/04/2003, 6:57 PM
Lads .. it was probably the best thing to happen to the shaed, people in there would have realised what it was like with out people singing and there was no good football to take their minds off that.

But what needs to happen are the people who want to sing need to get together. that would be either the shed or the corner (and the corner boys are well up for a song or two).

The advantage of being in the shed is that if people saw that there was a good atmosphere going in the shed they would join in. That doesn't seem to really get going anymore in the shed.

Next move is everyone move over to the corner boys and take over the first section and really get it going.

The drums yesterday sounded great on telly, and i'd say the more the merrier. Invest in drums because one of them is the same as ten guys singing.

Also ... yesterday there were two mikes, one by the corner and one by the shed. People need to take notice of that and get the drums right beside the mikes and keep going all day. Four or five drums could sound like thousands of people and also you'll find people drifting over to the drums after a while.

Lads .... anyone the wants an atmosphere need to go to where they here the singing, and not hope that the singing will start beside them so they can join in.

I'd say a collection for four more drums, is needed straight away.
I am good for another couple of quid anyway.

Who else.

patsh
13/04/2003, 7:04 PM
It has to be remembered that fans support their team in their own way.
It's no good calling people muppets and morons because they don't do the same as you at games.
I don't sing, but I shout encouragement, abuse the ref( ;) ) etc all through the game.
I ALWAYS have a sore throat and cannot speak for awhile after games.
I put money towards the club, chip in a few bob to every venture going (fanzines, programmes, raffles, flags etc etc), travel to as many away games as I can, bring kids and pay adult prices for them and I know at least 20 to 30 fans who contribute the same sort of support to the club.
Yet, according to you Colm, you would see us as morons or muppets.
I think all the effort a good few of you here make at games is fantastic, and ye are to be congratulated for it ,but not everybody shows their support in the same way.

Gary
13/04/2003, 7:22 PM
Well from my view point I reckon alot of ppl in the Shed are actually annoyed with people trying to sing etc. I was banging one of the drums yesterday, and certain people were actually looking at me and Colm and throwing their eyes up to heaven. One fella in particular seemed particularly annoyed, so i blew him akiss, and he didnt look or throw his eyes up any more.

idiot

tiktok
13/04/2003, 7:29 PM
oddboy, i'd be similar to you, i try and join in when i can but if there's nothing happening on the pitch i find it hard to get motivated. i think the point is though that historically the noise from the shed has been special and it's starting to die.

there was a time when if you walked into the shed you expected the noise and there was a real joy in joining in, now though it's faded. it seems to be full of kids who (unfortunately the one disadvantage of friday evening kickoffs) are ****ed and only get off on racist chants and abusing each other when someone tries to kick off a chant.

personally i think the sooner it is gone the better, because it's changed from a centre for noisy fans into just another place to stand. i don't understand why people would stand with one of the worst views of the pitch unless they are there for the atmosphere. and if you're there for the atmosphere, contribute to it. even if that is by shouting at the ref, it's all noise. if you want to turn a ground into a fortress, the crowd do have a part to play in that.

patsh
13/04/2003, 7:30 PM
Originally posted by GWA

idiot
Me or the sexually challenged guy?;)
I understand if it is frustrating, but you gotta do your own thing and not worry about others.

A face
13/04/2003, 7:30 PM
To be honest ... i think these people should go and join a chess club or play bridge or something if they dont like the singing.

To be fair, there would be more people with the same kind of attitude there and they would fit right in and not have to worry about the noise. That way it keeps everyone happy.

these people would also meet librarians and train spotters and the like, you know what they say, ...... birds of a feather.

patsh
13/04/2003, 7:34 PM
Originally posted by A face
To be honest ... i think these people should go and join a chess club or play bridge or something if they dont like the singing.

To be fair, there would be more people with the same kind of attitude there and they would fit right in and not have to worry about the noise. That way it keeps everyone happy.

these people would also meet librarians and train spotters and the like, you know what they say, ...... birds of a feather.
This is plain silly.
By paying their admission fee they are supporting the club.
Better CCFC have the €10 than anyone else.

A face
13/04/2003, 7:53 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
This is plain silly.

Just fighting fire with fire :)

If someone turns around to you in disgust because you are singing at a football match, they are not only being silly ... they are pushing the boat out too far altogether.

If it had been me ... i would have confronted him, i know that is harsh but i have got off the handle before for the same kind of attitude. It is serously asking too much, when you want someone to be quite at a football match. I can being to describe had stupid it sounds. Think about it !!

There were empty seats in St. Annes yesterday, he should warm one up if he doesn't want to hear siniging.

Colm
13/04/2003, 8:49 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
i try and join in when i can but if there's nothing happening on the pitch i find it hard to get motivated. Surely it has to be the fans that motivate the players and not vice versa!

conorsaint
13/04/2003, 9:04 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
The main reason for the lack of atmosphere last night was the game. NOTHING WAS HAPPENING. You get p*ssed off singing after a while if there is sh@g all happening on the pitch.

Fans are not morons.

what were we doin then,lads all of you were dying for this game but you's dint make it happen,
fair enough it was a bad game but it didnt stop all us backing our team.

Real ale Madrid
13/04/2003, 9:06 PM
If games are exciting people are going to sing and shout a hell of a lot more. That is the simple fact of the matter. At the Shamrock Rovers match (3-2) the atmosphere in the shed was fantastic. You need a good whole-hearted game to get the emotions going. Last nights match was so drab it was incredibile. If we were challenging for the title the atmosphere at games would be great.

Imo, and ill probably be shot down for saying this, you can't start an atmosphere with a drum because its artifical. you can supplement an atmosphere with a drum that has been started with an on the field stimulus or incident.

GWA - if you had started banging that drum just after City had scored i'll bet that fella would not have thrown his eyes up to heaven, in fact he probably would have clapped along.

I know you should support your team no matter how they play but with a match like yesterday's the only time i opened my mouth wide was to yawn.

It was not the fans' fault the atmosphere was crap yesterday it was the teams fault.

Real ale Madrid
13/04/2003, 9:09 PM
Originally posted by conorsaint
what were we doin then,lads all of you were dying for this game but you's dint make it happen,
fair enough it was a bad game but it didnt stop all us backing our team.

It's more craic when your the away team. In some regards it doesn't matter how you play. BTW did that fella with the flare get thrown out?

If he did it was a disgrace.

SEI
13/04/2003, 10:05 PM
he did. ****ing cork stewards.....

NorthoftheLee
14/04/2003, 9:47 AM
the majority of people in the shed were a disgrace yesterday. I dont care if the game was shít or not, get behind your team no matter what?

I'm still hoarse from saturday, there were about 20 people trying to sing, thats 20 out of a thousand....real fucin sad....handed out around 80 song sheets, probably just thrown away by the majority of people....sang most of the new songs....as well as the old....not much success with most of them...its soo frustrating..

people were giving out when we put the flag out before the game and at half time...." I cant see", "get the flag out of my way" were some of the comments...arggggggghhhhh...

The fucin little waaas were out in force again on saturday...some of the lads got the snow taken off them going into the ground but its well acceptable to bring in loads of dutch gold and strongbow cans....where's the sense in that???

The fucin díckheads who started throwing pot noodle powder around near the end of the game came very close to getting a slap or two..No sign of stewards or guardi in the shed at the time...:rolleyes:

THE SHED IS DEAD! WHAT A FUCIN SHAME THAT IS! :mad:

SEI
14/04/2003, 10:00 AM
the stewards and gardai were all over annoying us.

pete
14/04/2003, 11:49 AM
The match was so boring yesterday that i think everyone had trouble encouaging the team beyond the first 10 mins.

The rules on flares are clear. Anyone lighting a flares IMO should be ejected fromt he ground. Lighting them at the back of a stand is especially dangerous.

Colm
14/04/2003, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by NorthoftheLee
people were giving out when we put the flag out before the game and at half time...." I cant see", "get the flag out of my way" were some of the comments

Idiots! Maybe you should have politly explained that they were actually at a football match and not at a ****ing game of tiddlywinks!

You'd wonder why we bother, all people seem to do is knock it, critisise and moan.

NorthoftheLee
14/04/2003, 4:23 PM
You'd wonder why we bother, all people seem to do is knock it, critisise and moan.

it gets real annoying at times, but fuc them. I aint letting these fucin muppetts get me down....we got to keep trying....the sooner they put a roof on the st annes end the better as far as Im concerned!!

I dont even know what the flag looked like...only got a small glimpse from the tv pictures...just as we started to pull it in they show it....??doh!!

Looks like the corner it is for any wannabe vocal supporters...

James
14/04/2003, 4:31 PM
corner was full by the time i got into the ground, so stayed on the grassey knoll and got a good view. think might go there in future

Dodge
14/04/2003, 4:32 PM
Or you could become a Pats fan :D

****e game, great atmosphere (for us anyway) loads of colour, RED ARMY, all we needed was a goal...

Oh and the guy who got kicked out because of the flare is an absolute muppet anyway so some of us were happy to see him go

James
14/04/2003, 4:36 PM
they actually caught him, i didnt know that, well i dont agree with the rule banning them, but good to see the rules however stupid are actually being inforced for once,
isnt he going to be banned from every eircom league ground for life now

anyone actually got a copy of the rulebook
is it online anywhere?

pete
14/04/2003, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by James
anyone actually got a copy of the rulebook
is it online anywhere?

I think you could be due an eL life ban James for suggesting such a subversive act against the great powers of irish football.

:eek:

James
14/04/2003, 4:56 PM
searching through the maze that is the uefa.com site after a rather unsucessful 2mins in the fai site :D

Colm
14/04/2003, 4:57 PM
Originally posted by James
corner was full by the time i got into the ground, so stayed on the grassey knoll and got a good view. think might go there in future

Yes indeed folks, the grassy knoll is the new hip and happening place to be!:)

Strange the way about 7 of us on the grassy knoll made more noise than the rest of the ground (apart from the Pats fans) put together.

SEI
14/04/2003, 5:05 PM
lol ye right

patsh
14/04/2003, 5:13 PM
Originally posted by Colm
Yes indeed folks, the grassy knoll is the new hip and happening place to be!:)
Be careful of any passing motorcades!;)

Gary
14/04/2003, 5:41 PM
Actually Oddboy, shouldnt the passing Motorcades be careful of us????

:p

A face
14/04/2003, 7:25 PM
I think the corner is THE place to be from now on, take over that whole section and sod the shed, they will all realise the erro or their ways when they see us making noise.

It is up to us now lads !!

Viva le Corner !! :)

Bosco
14/04/2003, 8:03 PM
Its only bull**** saying that there should be the same atmosphere whether its a 0-0 draw or a 3-2 game people aren't goin to sing their loudest when they are watchin one of the worst games in the eircom league.I think the reason ye are so shocked is judging on your home record last season ye didn't have many boring games were the atmosphere is allways ****e and a boring atmosphere is pretty new.Take it from me we had plenty of boring games last season and there is no chance in having a good atmosphere .Not to say ye shouldn't try an carry it yourselves.Sure its part of the fans job to lift the players but its also the players job(they are payed for it)to play good football

Soko
19/04/2003, 2:31 AM
***k it, Bohs are down on Tuesday and they ****ed all over us with their support last year. It cant happen again. Now we finally got an impressive away victory to build on so lets get behind the team for a change

Its the waas that are the problem in the shed. The shed used to be a much harder place to get into 2/3 years ago because no one even dreamed of going near the corner or so on and there was an older crowd. They dont sing cause their voices havent broken and just **** everyone off

hayser
19/04/2003, 3:21 PM
The Only Shed in Ireland

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l.maguire4/roverspix/rovers_shed.JPG

Éanna
20/04/2003, 11:53 PM
Oddboy I think the point being made i that the shed has traditionally been the singing end of the ground so it is frustrating for the singers in there when people won't sing!
few points re athmosphere:
1. I accept a 0-0 draw won't have the best athmosphere ever, but theree was no one joining in the chants before kick-off. Maybe if the team had come out to a shed in full voice it might have made a difference.
2, Corner boys and a small gang in the shed are the only ones singing. I moved down to the grassy knoll for 2nd half and athmosphere was better there!!!!
3. If people don't want to sing fair enough, but it's the @rseholes who A) take the p!ss out of people or B) give out to people for singing that really annoy me. If you want to lauh at people for trying to create an athmosphere do it in your sitting room, or in the juvenile detention centre- which is where most of the little w@nkers up the back of the Shed belong. If you want to give out about noise do it a a bridge night or in the library, not in a football ground.
4. The back of the Shed is full of stupid, ignorant and often drunk little thugs who shouldnt be there. They don't pay attention to the game and annoy supporters- it has to be addresses.
5. How come (and I'd love some good answers here) about 3 times as many people respond to a chant started by moses than to a chant srated by anyone else- EVEN IF IT IS THE SAME CHANT! I have no problem with the guy, but other people are allowed sing too! Are so many sheddies such sheep that they can only follow one leader in song?! :rolleyes:
6. As far as I'm concerned the shed has had its day. It pains me to say it, but its an embarassment to the club. I long for the days of 4 or 5 years ago when the shed was a cauldron of noise, now its a kip.

I don't think I'll bother going back to be frank because the grief you get for trying to support the club in there is beyond belief.

patsh
21/04/2003, 3:53 PM
Fair enough Eanna, can't argue with anything you say.
I am not defending the shed or the antics of anyone therein.
But my point is that people support their team in their own way, and because some people do it differently to Colm's way, it is hardly fair to be called a moron and a muppet.