PDA

View Full Version : Henman announces his retirement

DmanDmythDledge
30/08/2007, 3:24 PM
After GB's Davis Cup match against Croatia next month. Playing his final grand slam at the moment. Always hate to see injury end someone's career in any sport.

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 4:02 PM
seriouslly who cares?

I can think of 60 people ahead of him that will retire and say nothing.

Dman dont be so naive, he is scheisser, not good enough, but hey its great to use an excuse like injury ;)

Dodge
30/08/2007, 4:25 PM
I can think of 60 people ahead of him that will retire and say nothing

They all announce their retirement but its only report in their own country.

Henman suffered at the hands of the British press. He was a decent enough top 10/20 player who won a couple of minor tournaments and did OK in the majors without ever threatening to win one. It wasn't his fault the press/tv hyped him up out of all reality

TheBoss
30/08/2007, 6:18 PM
One Question,

Do you think that Henman's career was sucessful career ?

Risteard
30/08/2007, 6:39 PM
Yes.
I would definitely say he reached his potentiol.

DmanDmythDledge
30/08/2007, 8:10 PM
seriouslly who cares?
Then why'd you bother posting?

Henman suffered at the hands of the British press. He was a decent enough top 10/20 player who won a couple of minor tournaments and did OK in the majors without ever threatening to win one. It wasn't his fault the press/tv hyped him up out of all reality
Not so, he won a the Paris Masters and got to six grand slam semi-finals.

One Question,

Do you think that Henman's career was sucessful career ?
Agree with Risteard.

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 8:19 PM
what i meant was who cares if he is retiring? why does he feel the need to tell everyone?

They all announce their retirement but its only report in their own country.

You live in Ireland.

Risteard, yes he certainly did perform to his potential, which was very limited.

Dodge
30/08/2007, 8:51 PM
Not so, he won a the Paris Masters and got to six grand slam semi-finals.

I used minor, in the not major sense. I wasn't trying to dilute his achievements. I stand by the never threatened to win a grand slam comment though.

DmanDmythDledge
30/08/2007, 9:00 PM
what i meant was who cares if he is retiring? why does he feel the need to tell everyone?

Risteard, yes he certainly did perform to his potential, which was very limited.
What do you expect him to do? Retire and not tell anyone? All he did was hold one press conference, which is standard.

If you think Henman is an average player there must be very few good players in your eyes.

I stand by the never threatened to win a grand slam comment though.
2 points away from making the Wimbledon final in 2001, a set and a break up in Roland Garros semis '04. You're a hard man to please Dodge!

pineapple stu
30/08/2007, 9:47 PM
Winning a semi doesn't mean winning the tournament.

DmanDmythDledge
30/08/2007, 9:49 PM
Winning a semi doesn't mean winning the tournament.
Threatning to win doesn't mean winning.

pineapple stu
30/08/2007, 9:51 PM
It involves actually getting into a place where you can win, though.

Very good player, unfortunate to come up against Sampras and then Federer. Can look back with pride on his career.

I assume paul_oshea reckons we should only talk about Irish tennis players?

DmanDmythDledge
30/08/2007, 10:00 PM
It involves actually getting into a place where you can win, though.
Looks like you're just like Dodge then!;):p

gustavo
30/08/2007, 10:12 PM

You live in Ireland.

You must have very high standards of judging tennis players if you think a man who got to 6 grand slam semi finals and was ranked in the top 5 and this was reaching a potential which is in your words "limited" :)

paul_oshea
31/08/2007, 8:10 AM
Yes, when it comes to tennis, I have a roy keane view of things.

Stevo Da Gull
02/09/2007, 12:17 PM
A few shocking comments about Henman's career here, he's had a very good career and has played great tennis on a consistent basis for over a decade. Certainly one of the greatest players never to contend a grand-slam final, still, with that said thousands of players would love to have anywhere near as good a career as Tim and experience some of the moments/things he's experienced. (It's probably worth mentioning some of those who beat him in semi's and final's - Sampras, Hewitt, Federer etc.)

Check some of the stats : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Henman

All the best in the future Tim!