PDA

View Full Version : Second Hand Car Buying Advice

Réiteoir
30/08/2007, 3:14 PM
Guys,
I'm a little way off passing my driving test (finally getting round to do it after many years of being too busy / living where there is decent public transport).

Anyway - when I finally pass - I wish to head over on the ferry from Holyhead as a foot passenger, buy a second hand car, and drive it back over.

One main thing I want to do however is to keep the Southern Reg on the vehicle for as long as I possibly can (permanently hopefully).

Main questions are these though: is there anything I should be aware of when buying a second hander from Ireland, what kind of price would I be looking to pay in total for a decentish small car of about 10 years age, what docs will I need to get a hold of when the deal goes through, what procedures I need to be aware of, etc.

Have read about something connected with the Reg involving a time period of 6 months use outside of Ireland - can someone fill me in on this?

Any help would be superb.

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 3:20 PM
One main thing I want to do however is to keep the Southern Reg on the vehicle for as long as I possibly can (permanently hopefully).

You cant. You can keep it for 6 months, insured in Ireland, but if you have a crash after that you are screwed. Oppossed to Ireland where the guards will pull you up on it, over here they dont care ( as you probably know ) so technically you could drive for as long as you want but unless you re-register and change your insurance to an English Policy then you wont be insured to drive after 6 months over here.

Secondly, why would you want to buy a car in ireland? Cargiant and all those are way cheaper. Mate of mine just bought a 2004 bmw coupe, with all the extras ) 3 series for £10k ( about 38k miles ), it would cost about or around 25,000 euro, thats about £6k more!!!!

Oh ya, and its not "Southern reg" ;)

seriously, i am actually saying this again, DONT buy a car in Ireland, it is nigh unto madness!

lofty9
30/08/2007, 3:49 PM
Your off your head buying a car in Ireland. Buy a better car in England for less money.

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 4:00 PM
Your off your head buying a car in Ireland. Buy a better car in England for less money.

If its an Ireland reg thing you are looking for then, just pay an extra grand and get your own one such as:

98-bohs-2034

or 98-D-1

as i say it will only cost ye a grand!

beautifulrock
30/08/2007, 4:36 PM
Ref, its not too often that POS talks sense :) but I will have to agree with him on this. Not only will you get it cheaper but because of the better roads, lower annual mileage and better attitude to ensuring their vehicles are fully serviced you will end up with a much better car.

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 5:15 PM
Ref, its not too often that POS talks sense :) but I will have to agree with him on this. Not only will you get it cheaper but because of the better roads, lower annual mileage and better attitude to ensuring their vehicles are fully serviced you will end up with a much better car.

ah well its good to know that the way I act on here is exactly how everyone perceives me in the real world :D

Feck off rock ye kok :p

Réiteoir
30/08/2007, 6:01 PM
fair enough lads - that's made a decision for me

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 7:45 PM
what, you are going to buy one asap?!?! :D

pete
30/08/2007, 7:58 PM
Cars in the Republic would be probably 50% more expensive than the UK. :eek: