PDA

View Full Version : Athlone Town 0 - 1 Cobh Ramblers

atfconline
13/04/2003, 3:02 PM
fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie)

Last season's First Divison top scorer Willie Bruton notched up his first of this season as Cobh Ramblers beat Athlone Town 1-0 at St Mel's Park.

In a tightly contested game, Cobh had the slightly better chances and almost had a dream start when Jonathan Coker burst through after just 35 seconds only for Gerard O'Brien to make a last ditch tackle.

But three minutes into the second half, they did take the lead when Bruton raced onto a Robert Brosnan long ball before clinically finishing past Athlone goalkeeper David Moran.

Teams:
Athlone Town: Moran, O'Brien, Kelly, Shine, Jackson, Rush, Gavin, Collins, Mullan, McCann, Molloy.
Subs: Devine for Mullan (77 mins), Sherlick for Kelly (89 mins).

Cobh Ramblers: Slattery, Yelverton, White, Brosnan, Murphy, Buckley, Cummings, Conlon Coker, Bruton, Tynan.
Subs: MCGregor for Conlon (80 mins), O'Rielly for Coker (90 mins).

Referee: P Sutton (Clare).

Oh No
13/04/2003, 9:42 PM
This was not a bad performance against one of the best teams in the division. It was a lot better than I expected.

We did have a shaky start but with young deputants throughout the whole team this was to be expected. I thought we settled well and were well worth a draw at least. Wev need though to take the game by the scruf of the neck, slow it down and take control.

A couple of things, Shane Jackson was the wrong man to be man marking Bruton who had a quicker turn of foot as he showed with his goal although Moran knows he should have been off his line to collect. I thought Bruton overdone his acting but fooled a poor referee (who seemed obsessed with giving yellow cards) into giving wrong decisions.
Also Jimmy, Harney is a better option than Rush in midfield.
Mullan tried hard and caused problems, he looks promising. I liked McCann and Gavin played a great game. The two full backs played as full backs should do and were quite impressive.
Molloy, who I rate very highly can do better and needs to think about this.

So, well done Jimmy and the lads; all in all it was a promising performance, we need though to see improvements from match to match, and with Kelly, the Frawleys, Carberry etc yet to come back it might be a better season than anticipated.

Cobh Ramblers
14/04/2003, 11:15 AM
we had a very weakend team out

conlon cummins and murphy are all 17 years old!how did they get on?

yelve is a left mid but was playing at right back.

slattery......ill say no more<hes rubbish>

where was moorse?? hes magic!
he would of caused great problems in mid-field!

Coker must like athlone,he played a stormer there last year 2!!!

Rambler 4ever
15/04/2003, 10:28 PM
that was a rubbish team hill started he should start moore decie and if decie is still injured reilly cokers good but the two of them are better yelvies a brilliant player is probably somes hit right back though billy woods ****ed our team up

Rambler 4ever
16/04/2003, 11:00 PM
oh no.where do you think ramblers will finish because on most newspapers and websites they dont expect ramblers to gain promotion

Cobh Ramblers
16/04/2003, 11:57 PM
what are you blowing about???????????

Oh No
17/04/2003, 9:24 AM
Solely based on last seasons performance and assuming a small improvement ye should be in the top four.

Does third and forth place guarantee a play off position again this season?

Cobh Ramblers
17/04/2003, 6:56 PM
i dunno?

super rambler
17/04/2003, 9:55 PM
it should

ramsie
18/04/2003, 12:26 AM
ya its the same as last season

Ramblers 4 Promotion

Cobh Ramblers
18/04/2003, 1:31 PM