PDA

View Full Version : Eddie's contract

Angus
30/08/2007, 9:09 AM
Are we reading anything into this ?

Is Eddie trying to get his contract done before a campaign that he is not quite sure about ?

If we do really badly, would he allow himself to be fired with a huge payoff ?

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 9:16 AM
i thought it was a smart move in a way, builds on the confidence etc.

joeSoap
30/08/2007, 9:28 AM
On the basis of what he has achieved over the past 5 years, I think he deserves it. I don't agree with a lot of his ideas, particularly when it comes to substitutions, but you can't really knock the results.

This World Cup will be a barometer of his progress, as it is the first World Cup he has had a long time to prepare for, and also he has at his disposal the greatest Irish rugby squad of all time.

pete
30/08/2007, 10:45 AM
Have the IRFU jinxed themselves in following the FAI/John Delaney/Mick McCarthy contract route?

:eek:

joeSoap
30/08/2007, 11:10 AM
I don't think so. Quality rugby coaches are a rare breed, and O'Sullivan has proven himself beyond all doubt. Whatever about the FAI, I would liken this to United offering Ferguson, or Chelsea to Mourinho a contract extension.

I think the English job will be up for grabs pretty soon. I also think they'd kill for O'Sullivan to take it. He would have been out of contract soon, so it is perfectly logical to renew it imo.

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 12:04 PM
and O'Sullivan has proven himself beyond all doubt. Whatever about the FAI, I would liken this to United offering Ferguson, or Chelsea to Mourinho a contract extension.

thats because, and lets be honest, its far more down to the players than in any other sport. For example, If a player is crap ( i.e. misses tackles a lot ) it doesnt matter where ye put him or how good the coach is he is going to leak tries etc.

Soko
30/08/2007, 12:50 PM
thats because, and lets be honest, its far more down to the players than in any other sport. For example, If a player is crap ( i.e. misses tackles a lot ) it doesnt matter where ye put him or how good the coach is he is going to leak tries etc.

Complete rubbish. A good coach is essential in rugby, like most sports

Dodge
30/08/2007, 1:09 PM
I think its MORE important in rugby than most.

When all the players are the same size, shape and speed, its often angles of attack/defence that win games. Rugby's a structured game and any team tht goes in wtihout a game plan will lose

paul_oshea
30/08/2007, 1:10 PM
Complete rubbish. A good coach is essential in rugby, like most sports

well if you say so! :D

But what i was saying is why you dont come across as many great coaches is still a valid point because a great coach can only do so much based on what he has got in rugby whereas a great coach can do quite a lot with what he has in soccer for example, but opposing what you are saying berbizier has done a great job at Italy, but then again the back row in Italy have been together a long time at this stage and have a good understanding of each-others game.

joeSoap
30/08/2007, 1:46 PM
Players like Shane Horgan, Gordon D'Arcy, Girvan Dempsey, Ronan O'Gara and Simon Easterby were at crossroads in their careers in 2002 when O'Sullivan came along. He instilled professionalism, self-belief and balls into all of them, and now with the exception of Easterby are among the best in the world in thier given positions.

His attack minded attitude has gotten the best out of his players, and he has introduced excellent young talent in the form of Leamy, Flannery, O'Callaghan, Neil Best, Stephen Ferris, Paddy Wallace, and others to international rugby.

There can be no questioning the advances he has made for Irish rugby, and offering him a contract extension is a perfectly viable move.