PDA

View Full Version : The EL's darkest day!

Pablo Escobar
12/04/2003, 11:22 PM
This is a crisis!
We had the chance, first of all, I want to say fu*k u to all the people who could have filled those empty seats!

We just kept hoofing it, Deccie should have played, he's the best hoofer on the planet!

I'm very disappointed on a night that promised so much and delivered so little!

I would have prefered to have lost than THIS!

cfcgirl
13/04/2003, 12:13 AM
i agree with you. i expected so much out of the game .

UCD_4_Life
13/04/2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by cfcgirl
i agree with you. i expected so much out of the game .

The entire league did.

Peadar
13/04/2003, 9:26 AM
I was sitting in Bloomfield Rd. watching Blackpool 0-1 Crewe Alexandria and I was telling the lads about our "big game", building it up to be something special.
Then we were out last night and they were asking me how it went.
What could I say!

(We'd beat Blackpool and Crewe would struggle against us because their finishing is poor.)

Colm
13/04/2003, 2:34 PM
Originally posted by Pablo Escobar
This is a crisis!

In all fairness, how the fcuk did you draw the conclusion that it's a crisis?:rolleyes:

I agree that it was a very poor game and was very dissappointing after having promised so much but to say its a crisis is ridiculous. We played ONE poor game and got a point out of it, it's only the first game of the season. Things will get better, roll on UCD, Bohs and Longford.

A face
13/04/2003, 3:48 PM
The expectations were TOO high.

The performance was TOO low.

The ball was kicked TOO long.

The fans patience is TOO short.

The home supprt were TOO quite.

The away support were TOO noisey.

Can there be any balance ???

Pat MacGroyne
13/04/2003, 6:42 PM
I was talking to a Pats fan after the game and he said that we would have won if Dolan used new tactics.

He said the Pats players knew Citys game plan because Pats used it before.

He also said that we will do well in the league and could win the cup because we have the best manager in the league.

Sure we played crap but at least we got a point out of it. How many times have we been to great games and come home empty handed?? Too Many.

As for the morons who said that Pat and Collins had agreed a draw before the game then all I can say is grow up.

patsh
13/04/2003, 7:11 PM
Erra, twas a dire game, but how many times does this happen?
Too much hype, nervous players, the game built up out of all proportion.
If Pat's had come down on a normal Friday night, 5 or 6 games into the season, we probably would have had a classic.
Pat's have a hugely changed side, we have not, they won the first half, we won the second, everybody had a good look at how much work both sides need to do, no one lost and now we can settle down to the season ahead.
TV3 and everybody else wanted an advertisement, points were what was important.

Pablo Escobar
14/04/2003, 7:35 PM
Originally posted by Colm
In all fairness, how the fcuk did you draw the conclusion that it's a crisis?:rolleyes:

I agree that it was a very poor game and was very dissappointing after having promised so much but to say its a crisis is ridiculous. We played ONE poor game and got a point out of it, it's only the first game of the season. Things will get better, roll on UCD, Bohs and Longford.
It's a crisis because of the massive hype and the TV coverage!

A face
14/04/2003, 8:17 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
GWA's jacket was thrown TOO far...

I still reckon i would have got it, even if i was drunk as a skunk :D

Shelsman
16/04/2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
Pat's have a hugely changed side, we have not, they won the first half, we won the second, everybody had a good look at how much work both sides need to do, no one lost and now we can settle down to the season ahead.
TV3 and everybody else wanted an advertisement, points were what was important.

Pats 'won' the first half and drew the second -the difference between the two sides is that I can see Pats getting much better over the season but City doing f*** all if they don't improve their squad significantly.

It was a disaster from the point of view that it was an opportunity lost -lots of new fans could have been enticed to eL grounds if the match had turned out to be even reasonably exciting. Instead, it was one of the most boring matches I have ever seen -but what did TV3 really expect in showing a City match!

Dricky
16/04/2003, 1:15 PM
I always remember Italy and Brazil playing a world cup final and finding that the worst game of football I had seen.
Granted I haven't seen Saturdays match, yet. Come on what do we want people to be convinced with one match!!!! That to me is the perfect recipe to a sunshine supporter. Years of neglect are the reason El is poorly supported not one match on TV3.
A Day of Shame that is a poor reference, every league in the world and every country in the world has been recorded playing the worst football imaganable, the EL is no different.

Colm
16/04/2003, 1:39 PM
Originally posted by A face
I still reckon i would have got it, even if i was drunk as a skunk :D

Well having seen you climbing around when taking down the flags earlier, I reckon you probably would have aswell!

I pity the fella who had to hang out the window with the brush though, he didn't know what was happening when we started cheering at him!:D

@ndy
16/04/2003, 1:49 PM
hehe :P

You know, i think when opportunities like this arise the tv network and the el should sit down in the weeks before and look at areas that they together can improve/exploit as marketing tools.

For example, why not Charge half price into the stand behind the goal, or free to kids, so it might have been almost full. From what i saw, the rest of the ground seemed quite full, (i am assuming the main stand was pretty full) or why not have diverted the pats fans into that stand. The flags were seen on TV but only when they zoomed in on them, and i just got a glimpse of the Cork ones...it was Pats' flags i saw. I mean, from tv the ground looked half empty, because the angle the camera was at you see the small stand along the line and an empty big stand behind the goal. The shed looked full, but looks quite small, and that little shack with 10odd seats looks a bit funny aswell.

I appreciate that grounds and new stands are built with TV catering facilities, but surely when a club builds a new stand or has a big stand, it is in their interest, Bohs stlylie, to have this stand in view from the cameras? Turners Cross would look a lot better if the main stand was in view. Why not just put a tv gantry above the small stand? And continue to use the box as a press facility in the main stand?

Perhaps as fans we should be saying these things to our clubs. If we are great stuff. Last year, we (being the producers of STIG pretty much), asked Brendan Dillon, our then chairman, and now el chairman, to sit down with us after a game and discuss ways in which we could help promote the club and to listen to some ideas. We basically suggested that we form a fans committee and do some of the donkey work that a club like UCD might find it harder to do, like promoting the club in local areas/schools. I mean, lets face it, as fans, we are the people who are most interested in our clubs progressing. We have plenty of ideas and they're all pretty good.

I'm not really familiar with the NLU, other than it was formed during the wimbledon speculation era. But i'm sure they do the same thing and fair play.

Maybe you lads shud get together in a pub and discuss things u could do to help the club, ideas that you see from the outside. As fans we have a completely different perspective than club insiders and also we don't see the restrictions as quickly as the club, ie finacial, so we're not afraid to suggest things that the club might dismiss without proper thought.

Perhaps with a few more set ups like this (ours is still pretty informal) we could get together ourselves off our own bat and meet up to exchange ideas and stuff. I mean, you guys deserve a massive pat on the back for getting the flags made and into the ground. They look the business. More clubs seem to be doing it now aswell and fair play.

Without going off on one any further, i'll just say, that one development from our discussion with Brendan, was that as the club had stopped producing a programme due to the fact that they were making too big a loss on it...(they were just handing out a teamsheet booklet for free), they offered us the opportunity, which we have taken up, and you will be privileged to witness the first proper edition of on friday. So, i mean, it's beneficial for the club because they don't have to worry about organising a flimsy team sheet at no profit....and for us because we get to produce a decent programme for our club...the way we like it...and hopefully make a small profit, which we can spend on travelling to places like the cross, and even though our fanzine is as expected a fans p'ss take view on many sides of the club and the league, at the same time being a vehicle to drum up support for the club we love to follow, they offered us this on the merits of the fanzine and the job we do.

patsh
16/04/2003, 2:52 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
Pats 'won' the first half and drew the second -the difference between the two sides is that I can see Pats getting much better over the season but City doing f*** all if they don't improve their squad significantly.

It was a disaster from the point of view that it was an opportunity lost -lots of new fans could have been enticed to eL grounds if the match had turned out to be even reasonably exciting. Instead, it was one of the most boring matches I have ever seen -but what did TV3 really expect in showing a City match!
For f*cks sake...:rolleyes:
It's not up to City to save the el.
Why don't you have a chat with the l@nger ye have for a chairman?
You'd swear $hels games were a mile a minute all action goal feasts.
And of course $hels do SO much to entice new fans...will ye be able to muster up a mini-bus full this season?:rolleyes:
It was a very poor game, but if TV3 REALLY wanted an advertisement for eL soccer and a boost for themselves, why did they INSIST on playing the game on 5 on Saturday, when Friday night football is well established, draws the crowds in Cork and is the proper time for eL games.
and why did they NOT INSIST that
$hels play Bohs, 1st v 2nd last season?
I'm sure Ollie would have only rolled over and died to help the league and TV3....
me h*le!

@ndy
16/04/2003, 3:08 PM
So you didn't enjoy the game then?

A face
16/04/2003, 3:24 PM
Why don't you have a chat with the l@nger ye have for a chairman?
You'd swear $hels games were a mile a minute all action goal feasts.
And of course $hels do SO much to entice new fans...will ye be able to muster up a mini-bus full this season?:rolleyes:
It was a very poor game, but if TV3 REALLY wanted an advertisement for eL soccer and a boost for themselves, why did they INSIST on playing the game on 5 on Saturday, when Friday night football is well established, draws the crowds in Cork and is the proper time for eL games.
and why did they NOT INSIST that
$hels play Bohs, 1st v 2nd last season?
I'm sure Ollie would have only rolled over and died to help the league and TV3....
me h*le!

I have to agree with that .... Alot of the responsibility is being pushed onto City and if it were anyone else it would be OK to happen.

pete
16/04/2003, 3:35 PM
Obviously the game wasn't great for tv but hey 0-0 draws happen & theres nothing tv cameras can do about that. Sure a 0-0 bore isn't going to help the crowds back to games but those people probably aren't too keen on the eL if that is the case.

I agree about the camera position at the cross but maybe its there because of camera angles & the way the sun shines from behind the stand usually. 6000 (camera side stand was 90% full) is still one of the the biggest crowds for a live eL game - even end of season decider at tolka last year barely exceeded that so less of the lecturing from $hels i think. How many times have we seen a live game from tolka with half empty stands on all sides of the ground.

IMO the match day organisation has improved no end at the cross in the last year. With bigger crowds than any other club CCFC are probably the best organised in the league.

paudie
17/04/2003, 11:28 AM
While Saturdays game was awful(worse than any of last seasons home games) lets not get depressed about it. It was only one game.

TV3 will show more live games, probably involving Bohs and Shels but that fair enough. People who slag off the eL don't need an excuse anyway.

Re City's performance. Expectations were unreasonably high due to the Dolan factor but theres a long way to go.

The next 3 games will tell a lot. Away to bogey teams UCD and Longford and home to Bohs.

I think we need a couple of players especially in midfield.

@ndy
17/04/2003, 11:42 AM
Yeah, well, you need to start playin better ball for a start. Look at that match last night. Anyone who slags people who watch the premiership...if you love football...that was class...absolute class. Obviously el isnt near that standard, but put the ball on the grass and make it nice to watch. Hoofin is not good entertainment, and not very successful either. I didnt see many home cork games last season, but the game against us was hoof hoof....

citylove
17/04/2003, 11:55 AM
Yeah, well, you need to start playin better ball for a start. Look at that match last night. Anyone who slags people who watch the premiership...if you love football...that was class...absolute class. Obviously el isnt near that standard, but put the ball on the grass and make it nice to watch. Hoofin is not good entertainment, and not very successful either. I didnt see many home cork games last season, but the game against us was hoof hoof....

I thought the 1st half of the match last night was very scrappy and the ball was in the air quite a lot. I think it would have remained like that for the whole game if a goal wasn't scored. I believe The City V Pats game last Saturday would have been a lot better if a goal had been scored.

niamh
17/04/2003, 12:04 PM
I don't think it was the eL's darkest day. Sure it was a poor game, but I reckon it's the fates conspiring against TV3. To my knowledge they haven't shown a good one yet.
Noel King's comments didn't help though. To repeat a known fact.. that guy is an anti-Cork muppet.

Shelsman
17/04/2003, 12:23 PM

Guess who took the bait? I love to get a reaction from Cork fans!

Seriously though, the hype was a bit unrealistic ( but we can't knock the publicity ). Furthermore, it's perfectly reasonable for Dolan to spend time assessing his squad before bringing in new players -I just hope he comes to the same conclusions that I do ( that at least 4 or 5 top players need to be brought in if City are to have any chance of finishing in the top two ).
Best two teams in the country are Bohs and Shels with Pats a distant third.

I suspect Cork are in for a shock v UCD this week.

Troy.McClure
17/04/2003, 1:06 PM
I suspect Cork are in for a shock v UCD this week. [/B]

Ya mean we're gonna win at Belfield! :D

@ndy
17/04/2003, 1:19 PM

shhhh....don't tell them. I do too by the way. I hope we're right.

patsh
17/04/2003, 1:43 PM
I'd have to say that if ye play like ye did against Bohs and we play like we did agaimst Pats, I reckon it's a nil all draw.
Unfortunately, UCD look more likely to win.

pete
17/04/2003, 1:44 PM
Virtually no team can take the moral high ground in saying they have put on a better performance for live tv games.

Out of last years 2 shels v bohs games i thought the bit i saw if the rain soaked first was fairly good but thought the 2nd title decider one was disappointing.

If the team can match the crowd & big match atmosphere (excluding last weeks) in their performance theres the potential for the best tv package. Think we'll be waiting a while for that unless city manage to find someone to distribute the ball in midfield.

@ndy
17/04/2003, 2:41 PM
I'd have to say that if ye play like ye did against Bohs and we play like we did agaimst Pats, I reckon it's a nil all draw.

Is your logic that neither of us scored goals. I'm afraid i was at the UCD game and saw the Cork one on TV. I beg to differ.

A face
17/04/2003, 2:58 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
I beg to differ.

Keep beggin' student .... cos you are goin' down

Oh wait .... i feel like breaking into song ....

you're goin' down
you're goin' down
UCD are goin' down

you're goin' down
you're goin' down
UCD are goin' down

you're goin' down
you're goin' down
UCD are goin' down

:D :D :D

Pablo Escobar
17/04/2003, 5:18 PM

How long have u been following the EL?
Everybody knows of Boggie teams, but to City, UCD are the mother of all Boggie teams!

There like a tripple Boggie team!

patsh
17/04/2003, 5:20 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
Is your logic that neither of us scored goals. I'm afraid i was at the UCD game and saw the Cork one on TV. I beg to differ.
My logic is that you do not look to have a strong goal threat and we have a really tough defence to break down.
A UCD player had one glaring miss when Kelly lost the run of himself, but from the highlights I saw, ye did not offer much else.
Don't be so touchy....!;)

Schumi
17/04/2003, 5:24 PM
I suspect Cork are in for a shock v UCD this week. Yeah, we're going to hammer them in the fans' game. :D