PDA

View Full Version : TV3 curse

padjoe
29/08/2007, 1:42 PM
lads need a bit of help......doing bit of feature here at work trying to work out the depth of the tv3 curse on Irish soccer.....correct me here where i am wrong. it started with the loss to croatia in qualification for euro 2000 and followed on with draw with macedonia. more recently there was cyprus, germany. the lucky win against san marino. any more similiar games that were costly like that and do tv3 or rte have the away games for the rest of the tournament....

NeilMcD
29/08/2007, 1:44 PM
Did they have the Germany game I dont think they did I thought RTE had it. But I know where you are coming from.

KoemansCC
29/08/2007, 1:46 PM
lads need a bit of help......doing bit of feature here at work trying to work out the depth of the tv3 curse on Irish soccer.....correct me here where i am wrong. it started with the loss to croatia in qualification for euro 2000 and followed on with draw with macedonia. more recently there was cyprus, germany. the lucky win against san marino. any more similiar games that were costly like that and do tv3 or rte have the away games for the rest of the tournament....

They seem to be a curse on Irish soccer every Monday night....

RogerMilla
29/08/2007, 1:49 PM
can you can also look into the white away jersey as a harbinger of doom as well ?

Dodge
29/08/2007, 1:50 PM
or just away games in the last 8-10 years...

padjoe
29/08/2007, 1:54 PM
well is it away games then or is it a tv3 curse cause i've seen ireland lose friendlies (delayed coverage) at home on tv3 and sky sports.
i wasn't sure if the germany game was on tv3 or rte.

paul_oshea
29/08/2007, 1:54 PM
I dont blame TV3, but I do blame a certain 11 or so people, that are definitely more at fault than tv3.

padjoe
29/08/2007, 2:01 PM
i'm not blaming any one this is quirky piece cause i'm wondering if it will link to the irish advances in the rugby world cup...

paul_oshea
29/08/2007, 2:04 PM
padjoe, i like your location.

Ordinary Fan
29/08/2007, 2:05 PM
Not to worry about the TV3 curse, all remaining matches on RTE.

Now to remove all the other curses.................

paul_oshea
29/08/2007, 2:06 PM
Now to remove all the other curses.................

Ordinary fan, ah yer not that bad

padjoe
29/08/2007, 2:10 PM
padjoe, i like your location.

Oh really??

padjoe
29/08/2007, 2:12 PM
anyway high profile screw ups and near missesby the irish team while on tv3 would include croatia, macedonia, cyprus, san marino, chile....who else

paul_oshea
29/08/2007, 2:12 PM
Oh really??

Ya as im from the ros too.

anyway high profile screw ups and near missesby the irish team while on tv3 would include croatia, macedonia, cyprus, san marino, chile....who else

to be fair it could be an omen, actually that cyrpus game was on tv3 as well wasnt it? It hasnt really gotten any better, in fact probably worse as the opposition is definitely not as strong as the likes of croatia.......but im sure it has to be something more tangible than that :)

padjoe
29/08/2007, 2:21 PM
Ya as im from the ros too.

to be fair it could be an omen, actually that cyrpus game was on tv3 as well wasnt it? It hasnt really gotten any better, in fact probably worse as the opposition is definitely not as strong as the likes of croatia.......but im sure it has to be something more tangible than that :)

ha fantastic...i'm a cork man surviving in roscommon its tough negotiating rockfords on a saturday night

Calcio Jack
29/08/2007, 2:38 PM

Is your name Stan and do you work for the FAI ?

padjoe
29/08/2007, 2:44 PM
Is your name Stan and do you work for the FAI ?

No and no.....

padjoe
29/08/2007, 2:46 PM
what i'm looking for is just the scores or the teams if any one can remember maybe i should just google but this is more fun...

results i've come with so far are..

Malta 2-3 Ireland scrapped home with a staunton free.
Croatia 1-0 Ireland
Russia 4-2 Ireland
Albania 0-0 Ireland
Georgia 1-2 Ireland
Switzerland 2-0 Ireland
Cyprus 5-2 Ireland
Ireland 0-1 chile

feel free to add

29/08/2007, 4:08 PM
could you imagine martin king as a commentator??

Torn-Ado
29/08/2007, 4:11 PM
Yugoslavia beat us 1 nil but that wasnt a near miss.

By the way do TV3 always do the commentary for the games in the studio?

Curtains
29/08/2007, 7:06 PM
I know this is nothing to do with this thread but if you need to know what channel any football match is on in the world go to lj's website at www.liveonsat.com. Then go to international section

It suggests both the coming matches are on sky sports 2 but ive a feeling tv3 signed a deal for the away games except wales and germany so the scud of tv3 may still haunt us yet. :(

tetsujin1979
29/08/2007, 8:45 PM
I'm pretty sure RTE announced recently they have the right for the rest of the qualifiers

onephillyhughes
30/08/2007, 9:10 AM
RTE have all remaining games:cool:

Was Romania away on TV3? Think Roy Keane missed a penalty that evening...

tetsujin1979
30/08/2007, 9:31 AM
Was Romania away on TV3? Think Roy Keane missed a penalty that evening...

That was definitely RTE, I remember Dunphy ranting about how it was a "moral victory"

Wolfie
31/08/2007, 8:24 AM
Did they not have a game against Macedonia ?

I think it was the infamous last 15 seconds equaliser game that still chills my soul even thinking about it now. :( :( :(