PDA

View Full Version : Glen Crowe > Alan Gallen

UCD_4_Life
12/04/2003, 3:04 PM
That was the differance last night. They had Glen Crowe, we had Alan Gallen.

Robbie Griffin looked lively for his first few minutes but after that he didn't do much and Sean Finn isn't a goal scorer.

The midfield and defence were excellent. Mick O'Donnell especially showed excellent commitment. Pat Sullivan was very good down the left, at the end he went on a run and beat like three Bohs players, he was full of nice touches. Cawley was very good when he was on too.

Pat Jennings showed that he's more than capable of replacing Bazza, there was one double save that he made in the second half that was unbelievable. John Martin's first half miss was absolutely shocking. His touch to take it over Shay Kelly was brilliant but the finish was even worse than Ryan Giggs' against Arsenal in the FA Cup this season.

All in all I felt we deserved a point and if someone can start getting into scoring positions and actually finishing then we won't have to worry about relegation this season. Gallen, Finn and Griffin don't look as if they can.

To finish, Jennings' flick past Robbie Doyle was the best thing ever.:Dg

UCD_4_Life
12/04/2003, 3:32 PM
ACTION Crowe in a class of his own

Bohemians 1-0 UCD
Making his first start since last year, Glen Crowe picked up where he left off with the only goal of the game against UCD.

The champions dominated proceedings and were good value for the win which should have been greater than just the 1-0 scoreline. Bohs’ pressed from an early stage but were kept at bay by the impressive Pat Jennings in the UCD goal who had to be at his best with Mark Rutherford, Bobby Ryan and Paul Keegan all in sparkling form for the home side.

But despite all their dominance Bohs’ should have fallen behind only for an amazing miss by John Martin. Gavin Whelan fed the ball onto Martin who rounded Seamus Kelly in the Bohs’ goal but he somehow fired over an empty net. His despair was to be increased as Crowe got the only goal of the game shortly after.

The prolific striker has already seen an effort come back off the post before he ran on to a Keegan flick on 35-minutes. He was just inside the UCD half and tracked by Darragh Ryan and Robert McAuley, but the front man had the pace and control to keep the defenders at bay and knock the ball past Jennings in the UCD net. It was wonderful goal that showcased the Bohs’ striker’s talents and was his 100th for the club since his return from Wolves.

The champions had a shout for a penalty before the interval when a Keegan shot appeared to hit the arm of Tony McDonnell but the students escaped and went in just the goal down at the break.

Jennings kept the champions at bay with a couple of great saves from a McAuley header and a Crowe shot before his defence started to restrict Bohs’ to long range pot shots.

Bohemians – Kelly, Lynch, Coughlan, Hawkins, Webb, Ryan, Harkin (Morrison 84), Hunt, Rutherford, Crowe, Keegan (Doyle 73).

UCD – Jennings, Sullivan, McDonnell, McAuley, Ryan, Martin, Whelan, O’Donnell (Mahon 76), Cawley (Davey 76), Gallen, Finn (Griffin HT).

Referee - D McKeon (Dublin)

-------------------------------

We dominated the the last quarter of an hour and had them under pressure for other fairly long periods of the game. It doesn't even say anything about some of the excellent saves that Shay Kelly made in the first and second half. Two that spring to mind are in the first half from Sean Finn (?) it was drilled at him and he got down well. In the second he definitely had to tip at least one over the bar.

You'd think that they could tell both sides of the story, I bet TV3 only show Johnny's chance and nothing else from us.

pineapple stu
13/04/2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
To finish, Jennings' flick past Robbie Doyle was the best thing ever.:Dg

Was that Robbie Doyle he went round? Didn't realise that!

By the way, we were talking to Robbie Martin at alf time - he's on crutches with a broken foot and he doesn't know when he'll be back...:(

Still, if we can keep playing like we did, we'll be safe. Certainly, it was much better than I was hoping for...

UCD_4_Life
13/04/2003, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Was that Robbie Doyle he went round? Didn't realise that!

By the way, we were talking to Robbie Martin at alf time - he's on crutches with a broken foot and he doesn't know when he'll be back...:(

Still, if we can keep playing like we did, we'll be safe. Certainly, it was much better than I was hoping for...

:(

I thought I saw him talking to Doyler before the match.

A broken foot is usually two or three months isn't it?