PDA

View Full Version : Everton make compensation payments to four clubs

centre mid
29/08/2007, 11:21 AM
Everton have paid £230,000 (€340,000) in compensation payments to four clubs in the Republic of Ireland.
The money, paid through the English FA, is for the development of young Irish players before they joined Everton.
Dublin outfit Tolka Rovers receive almost £90,000 (€130,000) for their part in the training of striker Aidan Downes, while Kerry-based Kingdom Boys receive £55,000 (€80,000) for the development of Darren Dennehy.
The Blues also paid money to Maymount Celtic and St Brendan’s Park.
The FAI’s (Football Association of Ireland) Football Support Services Manager, Eoin Hand said: “We are pleased that the UK clubs are co-operating with us in regard to the training compensation payments.
“A club, whose player signs his first professional contract with a League of Ireland club, will receive €500 for each year of training between 12 and 21 and if that player is transferred abroad they will be entitled to compensation under the solidarity mechanism,” added Hand.

Defender Dennehy, 18 and striker Downes, 19, have progressed through Everton's academy and are both regulars in the Toffees' reserves setup.
Source: www.evertonfc.co.uk (http://www.evertonfc.co.uk)

el punter
29/08/2007, 11:25 AM
Seems like a lot of money, any more details on how this works?

Are Everton paying through gritted teeth?

dcfcsteve
29/08/2007, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure I've got my head around the quote at the end - but does it sugest that it's beneficial to junior clubs if their lads sign for an LOI club prior to heading off to England ?

I would have assmed the LOI club involvement was irrelevant.

centre mid
29/08/2007, 11:55 AM
Seems like a lot of money, any more details on how this works?

Are Everton paying through gritted teeth?

Apparently not - embrassing it in fact, seems the idea is to delelop a relationship with Irish clubs like Everton had going back to the 50's when a good portion of the Everton 1st team would be Irish Internationals. Seems like a better approach than the Home Farm Everton scenario.

Plastic Paddy
29/08/2007, 11:56 AM
I'm interested in the FAI spokesman. Not the Eoin Hand, surely? If so, that's quite a career progression - national team manager to "football support services manager". Most people would aspire to the other direction, I imagine...

:ball: PP

KevB76
29/08/2007, 1:03 PM
I'm not sure I've got my head around the quote at the end - but does it sugest that it's beneficial to junior clubs if their lads sign for an LOI club prior to heading off to England ?

Extract from L37 website :

"The Football Association of Ireland will introduce a compensation and solidarity mechanism for domestic football on December 1 after brokering an agreement between the eircom League of Ireland clubs and the Schoolboys Football Association of Ireland. Under the mechanism, clubs will be entitled to compensation for training a player from his 12th to 21st birthday if he signs his first professional contract with an eircom League of Ireland club before his 23rd birthday. Eoin Hand, the FAI’s Football Support Services Manager, conducted a comprehensive research of various domestic compensation systems within European football and had several discussions with FIFA before drawing up the Irish model.
The training compensation fee has been agreed at €500 per season which will be paid to the club or clubs responsible for the players training between his 12th and 21st birthdays
Should a professional player be transferred domestically during the course of a contract then 10 per cent of any compensation, or fee, paid to his former club shall be deducted and paid to the training club or clubs as a solidarity payment. The new agreement complements existing FIFA regulations regarding players playing professionally outside the jurisdiction of the FAI...."

razor
29/08/2007, 1:07 PM
Heard Maymount got 80K, not sure where the money will go now that they have immalgamated with Temple Utd

monutdfc
29/08/2007, 1:11 PM
I'm interested in the FAI spokesman. Not the Eoin Hand, surely? If so, that's quite a career progression - national team manager to "football support services manager". Most people would aspire to the other direction, I imagine...

Eoin Hand has been in this role for years (though the crappy job title is new to me); he has done a lot of work with young players going to and more especially returning from England

Dodge
29/08/2007, 1:18 PM

THE LOI thing is seperate.

In England there are panels in place to decide how much senior clubs must pay junior clubs for player training

Here it is €500 per season per player. So basically if Pats sign a 21 year old from non league football it will cost them €5,000

So of course we'll go to England and get a player for nothing...

MyTown
29/08/2007, 1:31 PM

Yes THE Eoin Hand. Brilliant servant of the national and domestic game. Deserved to bring Ireland to the World Cup in Spain 1982 but for outrageous refereeing decisions. Led a brilliant Limerick team to great success. And still doing very valuable work to this day.

His career path, as you describe it, might have something to do with a very serious illness from which he fairly remarkably recovered a number of years ago.

I seem to remember a testimonial being arranged when he was at a very low ebb health wise which was very poorly attended, while a pre-season friendly between a Dublin Club and a well supported English club was a sell out around the same time.

That's football in Ireland for you.

Plastic Paddy
29/08/2007, 2:26 PM
Thank you monutd and MyTown for filling in the gaps for me. Point taken about the lack of recognition for somebody who has clearly been a great servant to Irish football over the years.

To clarify, my post wasn't meant to be disparaging to Hand in any way; it's just very unusual to go from the top job to one right down the organisational hierarchy. Not many people could take that, which says plenty about the character of the man himself. :)

Dodge
29/08/2007, 2:37 PM
Good to have you back PP.

You back full time or just drifitng through ;) The Ireland forum's gone to pot without you...

Plastic Paddy
29/08/2007, 2:58 PM
Good to have you back PP.

You back full time or just drifitng through. The Ireland forum's gone to pot without you...

Hello yourself Dodge and thanks :)

I lurk a lot rather than post these days because I found myself having more run-ins (or should that be runs-in? :confused: ) with other posters than I thought was good for my health.

I'm glad to see though that there's still a spine of quality contributors like yourself keeping it real on foot.ie...