PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Squad V Irish Squad

NeilMcD
28/08/2007, 4:35 PM
Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), David Marshall (Norwich City), Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders: Graham Alexander (Preston North End), Russell Anderson (Sunderland), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Rangers), Jay McEveley (Derby County), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United), David Weir (Rangers)

Midfielders: Scott Brown (Celtic), Barry Ferguson (Rangers), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Paul Hartley (Celtic), Lee McCulloch (Rangers), Stephen Pearson (Derby County), Barry Robson (Dundee United), Gary Teale (Derby County)

Forwards: Craig Beattie (West Bromwich Albion), Kris Boyd (Rangers), James McFadden (Everton), Shaun Maloney (Aston Villa), Kenny Miller (Celtic), Garry O'Connor (Birmingham City)

Goalkeepers:
Nick Colgan - Barnsley
Colin Doyle - Birmingham City
Shay Given - Newcastle United
Wayne Henderson - Preston North End

Defenders:
Richard Dunne - Manchester City
Steve Finnan - Liverpool
Kevin Foley - Wolverhampton Wanderers
Stephen Kelly - Birmingham City
Paul McShane - Sunderland
John O’Shea - Manchester United

Midfielders:
Lee Carsley - Everton
Jonathon Douglas - Leeds United
Darron Gibson - Manchester United
Stephen Hunt - Reading
Stephen Ireland - Manchester City
Kevin Kilbane - Wigan Athletic
Aiden McGeady - Celtic
Alan O’Brien - Hibernian
Darren Potter - Wolverhampton Wanderers
Andy Reid - Charlton Athletic

Forwards
Kevin Doyle - Reading
Robbie Keane - Tottenham Hotspur
Andy Keogh - Wolverhampton Wanderers
Shane Long - Reading
Daryl Murphy - Sunderland

How do they compare?

Stuttgart88
28/08/2007, 4:36 PM
When's the match?

Lionel Ritchie
28/08/2007, 4:41 PM
When's the match?

...and are they going use a Gah pitch for this 25 on 25 extravaganza?

...or is from one village pump to the next like in the good old days?

youngirish
28/08/2007, 4:42 PM
How do they compare?
Our squad looks a bit stronger but we have a far better selection of players available to us on paper. Stan's squad is weakened by injuries (Duff, S Reid, Carr, J O'Brien), unexplained omissions (Paddy Kenny, Owen Garvan, Morrison) and bizarre selections (A O'Brien, Nicky Colgan, J Douglas). I'm not sure the Scots are suffering as much from both injuries and their managers bizarre preference for rubbish players.

The sweatys are pants anyway.

bwagner
28/08/2007, 4:44 PM
To be fair I think we are quite close, But we are just lacking something that they have ...spirit or maybe they have more lunatics thats command the line

NeilMcD
28/08/2007, 4:50 PM
I think our defence is much stronger than theirs. I think their midfield is better and we have stronger strikers.

NeilMcD
28/08/2007, 4:50 PM

Are you English.

theworm2345
28/08/2007, 4:52 PM
I'd give them the edge on strikers (we have only 2 who I'd really trust to start in either of the next 2 games)
We have the midfield
They have defense (we have only 4 who I'd really trust to start)
keepers is a draw as both sides only really have one good keeper (as Kenny is out)

NeilMcD
28/08/2007, 4:54 PM
I think a midfield of Ferguson, Fletcher. Hartley and Maloney/Brown is better than ours.

However our Defence of Finnan Dunne Mc Shane O Shea is better.

Doyle and Keane are class compared to theirs. They have a stronger squad in the forwards at the moment. probably.

youngirish
28/08/2007, 5:03 PM
Are you English.

Nope I'm from BallyBough pronounced 'The Bock' or Bally Bo as the Posh culchies call it who bought up all the houses in the area in recent years now that most of the gearbags have cleared out.

A full strength Irish midfield of A Reid, Carsley, S Reid and Duff is way better than anything the Scots can muster btw. Though with Duff and S Reid out we are suffering badly in that area at present.

Hibs4Ever
28/08/2007, 5:55 PM
Our squad looks a bit stronger but we have a far better selection of players available to us on paper. Stan's squad is weakened by injuries (Duff, S Reid, Carr, J O'Brien), unexplained omissions (Paddy Kenny, Owen Garvan, Morrison) and bizarre selections (A O'Brien, Nicky Colgan, J Douglas). I'm not sure the Scots are suffering as much from both injuries and their managers bizarre preference for rubbish players.

Why is Alan O'Briens selection "bizarre"

ofjames
28/08/2007, 6:02 PM
I'd give them the edge on strikers (we have only 2 who I'd really trust to start in either of the next 2 games)
We have the midfield
They have defense (we have only 4 who I'd really trust to start)
keepers is a draw as both sides only really have one good keeper (as Kenny is out)

You're smoking crack if you think they have better strikers than us. Keane and Doyle are top premiership strikers. None of theirs are in that class.

Craig Beattie was a failure at Celtic, who have a clutch of crap stikers at the moment.

Boyd hasnt been tested outside the SPL comfort zone (and going on the Anthony Stokes experience, you really cannot accurately judge SPL stikers untll they are!!)

McFadden is talented, but he's never made a breakthrough at Everton in terms of becoming a regular. He's injury prone as well.

Maloney's a left winger and at that is no better than McGeady or Hunt, and not nearly as good as Duffer.

Miller is a crap finisher. He runs around a lot but scores about once every 8 games. And given that he's played all his football (barring one premiership season) in sub-standard competitions such as the SPL and Championship, that record seems even more pathetic.

Gary O'Connor looks like he could be a decent player, but is completely unproven after wasting nearly 2 years of his career sitting on the bench in the Russian Premierleague. We'll have to reserve judgement on him until after this season at Birmingham.

theworm2345
28/08/2007, 6:06 PM
You're smoking crack if you think they have better strikers than us. Keane and Doyle are top premiership strikers. None of theirs are in that class.

I agree with that 100%, but I'd take the rest of their strikers over any of the other 3 we have (besides maybe Beattie). If you haven't noticed none of Keogh Murphy or Long have ever scored more than 3 goals (I think combined, 1 for Murphy, 2 for Long) outside of the CCC, unless you count League 1 for Keogh. Doyle and Keane can't play 180 minutes in 4 days, by the end of the Czech game they'd be too burnt out to do anything

EDIT: I checked up on those stats, I was right, Long has scored 2 (Against Sheffield United, who were relegated and Wigan, who I believe made it out on the last day), Murphy has 1 which was against Tottenham (I believe it was a nice goal). Keogh has spent most of his career in League 1. Not great backup if you ask me, especially with who is available (Alan Lee, just to name one of the few that are possible, he at least has scored consistently, even if its not the EPL)

Hibs4Ever
28/08/2007, 6:06 PM

Craig Beattie was a failure at Celtic, who have a clutch of crap stikers at the moment.

Boyd hasnt been tested outside the SPL comfort zone (and going on the Anthony Stokes experience, you really cannot accurately judge SPL stikers untll they are!!)

McFadden is talented, but he's never made a breakthrough at Everton in terms of becoming a regular. He's injury prone as well.

Maloney's a left winger and at that is no better than McGeady or Hunt, and not nearly as good as Duffer.

Miller is a crap finisher. He runs around a lot but scores about once every 8 games. And given that he's played all his football (barring one premiership season) in sub-standard competitions such as the SPL and Championship, that record seems even more pathetic.

Gary O'Connor looks like he could be a decent player, but is completely unproven after wasting nearly 2 years of his career sitting on the bench in the Russian Premierleague. We'll have to reserve judgement on him until after this season at Birmingham.

No he didn't

billybunter
29/08/2007, 1:44 AM
i'd take our squad. Furthermore, I think we have a better chance of qualifying.

ofjames
29/08/2007, 3:38 AM
No he didn't

What? only a year and a half was it?? :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
29/08/2007, 7:23 AM
We've more talent, they've got more physical players. Ages ago I said that Scotland has something we don't: stature, both moral & physical. I think we're past the low ebb in terms of moral stature with some new players bringing a refreshing attitude to the fold but I think their more physical midfield is an asset to them.

We're lighter on experience but I think I'd prefer our squad 12 months from now.

Billsthoughts
29/08/2007, 8:13 AM
mmmmm
pick any team at random and compare to Ireland....
whats the point?

tetsujin1979
29/08/2007, 9:23 AM
mmmmm
whats the point?
Similar clubs, similar points in qualification, but yeah, we really should be comparing our squad to Wales'

youngirish
29/08/2007, 9:32 AM
Darren Fletcher possibly their best midfield player is often kept out of the United team by John O'Shea. That alone should tell you how good they are.

Is there a more despised central midfield partnership in International football than Darren Fletcher and Barry Ferguson? I hate the both of those players and it's nothing to do with Ferguson being Rangers captain. I just think both are desperate yet have somehow managed to carve out a career for themselves. Sickening.

NeilMcD
29/08/2007, 9:54 AM
mmmmm
whats the point?

If you dont like the thread don't read it. Simple really a good few of my mates are Scottish and support the Tartan Army and and one of the lads also said we are similar sized countries with players playing at similar clubs and our footballing cultures are very similar.

shakermaker1982
29/08/2007, 10:00 AM
players from Scotland I wouldn't mind having to add to our squad would be Gordon, Hartley, McFadden and Maloney. Everybody else I would rate as either being below or equal to the squad members we already have.

eirebhoy
29/08/2007, 10:43 AM
Not one of Scotland's keepers, defenders or strikers would make the Ireland team.

The midfield though is a different story. Scott Brown, Maloney and maybe Ferguson would make our team imo. Obviously anyone that doesn't watch the SPL would probably disagree with that. Brown is heading for world class status in my honest opinion. The highest compliment I could pay is that he's the closest player to a young Roy Keane I've ever seen. Maloney is a lot better than McGeady or Hunt, and Duff now imo. Rangers fans would laugh at me putting "maybe" beside Ferguson as they certainly couldn't see Lee Carsley or Andy Reid keeping him out of a team.

The crazy thing is Fletcher is probably their star player.

NeilMcD
29/08/2007, 10:48 AM
Fletcher does the business for them on a regular basis. They won away to Slovenia and Norway on the basis of his performances and got a great goal away to Slovenia. They have also beaten France quite recently and have not made a slip up yet in their qualifying as the defeats to Italy and Ukraine away were expected.

Gordon is a very good goalkeeper but Given is a great Keeper.

youngirish
29/08/2007, 10:50 AM
Eirebhoy I'd agree with you regarding Maloney as he is clearly better than McGeady (very average IMO) and Hunt but nowhere near as good as an on form Duff. He would get into the team though. I'm not sure about Scott Brown but I'll take your opinion considering our lack of talent in midfield.

However to state that Barry Ferguson is better than A Reid, S Reid, S Ireland or possibly even Lee Carsely is untrue in my humble opinion. Who cares what Rangers fans say anyway? Their team are playing against absolute tosh week in, week out. Ferguson was absolute pants for Blackburn when he attempted to have a go in a competitive league. He's rubbish in Europe also. He's a very limited player.

eirebhoy
29/08/2007, 11:25 AM
Ferguson was absolute pants for Blackburn when he attemted to have a go in a competitive league. He's rubbish in Europe also. He's a very limited player.
I can't remember his time at Blackburn but according to a Rangers fan on boards.ie he was made captain and was man of the match many times. He was adamant. Anyway, I couldn't be debating the worth of a Rangers player so you win. :D

As for Duff on form, we can only hope.

ofjames
29/08/2007, 11:59 AM
Darren Fletcher possibly their best midfield player is often kept out of the United team by John O'Shea. That alone should tell you how good they are.

Is there a more despised central midfield partnership in International football than Darren Fletcher and Barry Ferguson? I hate the both of those players and it's nothing to do with Ferguson being Rangers captain. I just think both are desperate yet have somehow managed to carve aout a career for themselves. Sickening.

Despised? Hate? Desperate? Sickening? You're a complete weirdo. Some of the comments you come out with on these boards are completely ridiculous. I think you need to see a physciatrist....I'm still reeling from the "rangers fans will eat your children for breakfast" crap you came out with in the Joe Lapira thread :confused:

Can I ask who exactly hates Fletcher? and why? Seems like a very nice young man to me. Plus, he always plays with honest endeavour which is more you can say about most players. For one thing, United fans love him after his performances against Chelsea, Roma and Milan last season, and I'd suggest Scotland fans are pretty fond of him as well.

Regarding Ferguson, your claim that your 'hatred' (as you put it) of Barry Ferguson has nothing to do with him being Captain, Icon and best player of the club you absolutely DISPISE is absolute tosh. If anyone reads the opinions you have aired on these boards regarding Rangers, this fact will become absolutely clear. If Barry Ferguson was Maradona you'd come out with the same crap

Get your head checked out

youngirish
29/08/2007, 12:14 PM
Despised? Hate? Desperate? Sickening? You're a complete weirdo. Some of the comments you come out with on these boards are completely ridiculous. I think you need to see a physciatrist....I'm still reeling from the "rangers fans will eat your children for breakfast" crap you came out with in the Joe Lapira thread :confused:

Can I ask who exactly hates Fletcher? and why? Seems like a very nice young man to me. Plus, he always plays with honest endeavour which is more you can say about most players. For one thing, United fans love him after his performances against Chelsea, Roma and Milan last season, and I'd suggest Scotland fans are pretty fond of him as well.

Regarding Ferguson, your claim that your 'hatred' (as you put it) of Barry Ferguson has nothing to do with him being Captain, Icon and best player of the club you absolutely DISPISE is absolute tosh. If anyone reads the opinions you have aired on these boards regarding Rangers, this fact will become absolutely clear. If Barry Ferguson was Maradona you'd come out with the same crap

Get your head checked out

Ha ha you are a goon. I never post hatred regarding Rangers or their fans on these boards so you just made that up. I don't care about either Rangers or Celtic tbh. Both are rubbish (particularly true for Rangers) and I generally slag the overall quality of the SPL but not Rangers in particular. The Joe Lapira comment was a joke using an advanced form of humour called socratic irony to expose other people's prejudices against that club. I thought it was pretty obvious that I didn't really think that Rangers fans would eat people's children. Obviously too advanced for you my young friend.

As for Ferguson, I hate him because people claim he's good but he's rubbish. Very limited player. Same for Darren Fletcher really. Both are crap and neither can cut it regularly in a decent league. I don't like Man United or many of their glory hunting I supported Liverpool in the eighties and know nothing about football supporters so I'd admit this may influence my thinking on Fletcher but I do think he's possibly their poorest player. Pure muck both of them.

tetsujin1979
29/08/2007, 12:40 PM
Ha ha you are a goon. I never post hatred regarding Rangers or their fans on these boards so you just made that up. I don't care about either Rangers or Celtic tbh. Both are rubbish (particularly true for Rangers) and I generally slag the overall quality of the SPL but not Rangers in particular.

Must be a different youngirish who posted this so:
From http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=730952&postcount=265

And for all the usual members of the PC everything is fab brigade out there Rangers as a club hate you and everything you stand for. They would ethnically cleanse you, your entire family and all your friends (if you have any) given half a chance.

youngirish
29/08/2007, 12:44 PM
Must be a different youngirish who posted this so:
From http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=730952&postcount=265

This is the post he's referring to above.

ofjames
29/08/2007, 1:13 PM
you're an absolute weirdo young irish.

obviously your ADVANCED HUMOUR extended to your next post in that thread which described anyone who hadnt a problem with Lapira as 'traitors to the cause'. Whatever the cause is??

"Rangers as a club hate you and everything you stand for. They would ethnically cleanse you, your entire family and all your friends (if you have any) given half a chance."

"I never post hatred regarding Rangers or their fans on these boards so you just made that up. I don't care about either Rangers or Celtic tbh. Both are rubbish (particularly true for Rangers) and I generally slag the overall quality of the SPL but not Rangers in particular."

You're a complete clown.

youngirish
29/08/2007, 1:15 PM
you're an absolute weirdo young irish.

obviously your ADVANCED HUMOUR extended to your next post in that thread which described anyone who hadnt a problem with Lapira as 'traitors to the cause'. Whatever the cause is??

You're a complete clown.

Very good, using such a ridiculous expression as 'traitors to the cause' I'd expect it did. You don't quite get this irony thing do you? You're not Alanis Morrisette by any chance are you?

ofjames
29/08/2007, 1:23 PM
Irony?

So was the use of the words Despise, Hate, Desperate and Sickening to describe two decent journeymen pro's supposed to be Ironic as well?

Ethincally Cleanse your family....your such a freak. Hilarious

youngirish
29/08/2007, 1:27 PM
So was the use of the words Despise, Hate, Desperate and Sickening to describe two decent journeymen pro's supposed to be Ironic as well?

Ethincally Cleanse your family....your such a freak. Hilarious

No I actually do think they are sh*t. Do I need to put little notes into every post so you can see what areas are marked as jokes and which I'm serious about?

I'm as hillarious as Darren Fletcher is crap.

Rebel11
29/08/2007, 1:35 PM
On paper or squad is far stronger then Scotlands the only differance is they get the most out of their average players they have. We dont

tetsujin1979
29/08/2007, 2:24 PM
No I actually do think they are sh*t. Do I need to put little notes into every post so you can see what areas are marked as jokes and which I'm serious about?
Yeah, you do actually.
Sarcasm is impossible to detect in plain text.

youngirish
29/08/2007, 2:27 PM
Yeah, you do actually.
Sarcasm is impossible to detect in plain text.

I don't know. I get the impression if someone wrote that Rangers and their fans would ethnically cleanse you, your family and all your friends (if you have any) given half the chance I'd find it hard to believe they were serious.

livehead1
29/08/2007, 2:29 PM
I just noticed ofjames called me a retard!!!!!...The things people will say over the internet!!! I'd never say anything on here that I wouldn't say in real life, yet I don't think everyone applies this philosophy! There is no need for it!:mad:

tetsujin1979
29/08/2007, 2:38 PM
I don't know. I get the impression if someone wrote that Rangers and their fans would ethnically cleanse you, your family and all your friends (if you have any) given half the chance I'd find it hard to believe they were serious.
Well they do. Deal with it, and either mark all sarcastic comments or drop them completely.

youngirish
29/08/2007, 2:43 PM
Well they do. Deal with it, and either mark all sarcastic comments or drop them completely.
They are muppets then and shouldn't be on the internet.

Hibs4Ever
31/08/2007, 5:36 AM
What? only a year and a half was it?? :rolleyes:

Year & 3 months, in which he was regular first team player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_O'Connor

theworm2345
03/09/2007, 12:01 AM
They are muppets then and shouldn't be on the internet.
I find :rolleyes: helps with sarcasm