Forwards
Kevin Doyle - Reading
Robbie Keane - Tottenham Hotspur
Andy Keogh - Wolverhampton Wanderers
Shane Long - Reading
Daryl Murphy - Sunderland

gilberto_eire
28/08/2007, 4:04 PM
i dont agree with having 4 goalies and only 6 defenders!!

Mayo_Bhoy
28/08/2007, 4:04 PM
Alan O’Brien - Hibernian

:mad:

micls
28/08/2007, 4:06 PM
:mad:

I second that.

Are people surprised at no Stokes?

TerryPhelan
28/08/2007, 4:08 PM
Just announced there on fai.ie

Unlike Isaac Boss, we're very short at the back. I would imagine Staunton will put McShane in at RB, persist with Finnan at LB and, given the positive noises that have been made, continue with Dunne and O'Shea at CB. My kingdom for a Joey O'Brien, Paddy McCarthy and even a fit Ian Harte to flesh things out and put a healthier complexion on the defensive line-up, if only for numbers. One injury or suspension to any of our back four and Stan would be forced into a major reshuffle. The ominous prospect of Kilbane at left-back looms large and ugly on the horizon!

I think he'll stick with Doyle and Keane up front and have a real go at the Slovaks by playing four in midfield. McGeady, Carsley, Ireland and Reid. Hunt didn't convince in Aarhus unfortunately, so he'll be reduced to the role of 'impact sub' yet again.

That's my guess. Given in goal obviously - I just pray he recovers in time.

NeilMcD
28/08/2007, 4:08 PM
Stokes does not deserve to be in it.

Armando
28/08/2007, 4:09 PM
Looks good...no major omissions. It'll obviously be whittled down, just covering himself in case of injuries. I see Carrs definitely out, so we're actually pretty light on the defensive front.

I see Alan O'Brien is in again:rolleyes: I've nothing against the lad but honestly what is going on there?

micls
28/08/2007, 4:11 PM
Stokes does not deserve to be in it.

Does Alan O Brien? Personally Id have neither but I wonder if the hassle with Given is why Stokes lost out

paul_oshea
28/08/2007, 4:12 PM
i would rather reid in central midfield that on the wing, would control the game more.

NeilMcD
28/08/2007, 4:12 PM
Stokes was not in the squad for Denmark was he.

Billsthoughts
28/08/2007, 4:13 PM
who is the kelly lad?

ParkLife
28/08/2007, 4:15 PM
Just looking at the fixture v Germany in October on the FAI website.It has the game down for Saturday with kick off at 7.45PM, I thought it was a 3PM kick off? Hope it is a late kick off,the atmosphere was so much better in Croker at night.Welsh game was just embarassing, game and atmosphere wise.

NeilMcD
28/08/2007, 4:16 PM
Stephen Kelly who you said was a pretty good player in another thread.

youngirish
28/08/2007, 4:16 PM
Alan O'Brien again? Waste of a space. Stan just being pig-headed I reckon. He needs to back down over that one. Jay Tabb should be there instead. I'd have included Morrison or Stokes instead of Murphy though who is very, very limited as a player and nowhere near International standard (nor will he ever be). If Keane or Doyle get injured/suspended we are fooked for strikers.

Jonathan Douglas needs to go also. Still can't believe Douglas and Darren Potter get into these squads ahead of Garvan though the reasons for this can be debated on that other thread.

Other than that, happy enough.

NeilMcD
28/08/2007, 4:18 PM
i would rather reid in central midfield that on the wing, would control the game more.

Yeah you can play Mc Geady on the left and Ireland on the right and Carsley and Reid in the middle. All of these players are playing there for their clubs so it makes sense. Keane and Doyle up front and they are both playing there for their clubs and Mc Shane and Dunne centre backs. Finnan and O Shea as full backs. Basically you could have it that every player bar O Shea is playing in the position that they play week in week out for their club. O Shea is a utility guy anyway so hard to say what his position.

tetsujin1979
28/08/2007, 4:21 PM
Yeah you can play Mc Geady on the left and Ireland on the right and Carsley and Reid in the middle. All of these players are playing there for their clubs so it makes sense.
Ireland's playing through the middle for City, he's rarely on the wing for them. Elano is playing right wing for the most part.
He started on the right against Wales and was far more effective when he moved into the centre, where he started against Slovakia

NeilMcD
28/08/2007, 4:22 PM
I thought he was playing right side of midfield for them. I agree I think he is best in the middle.

John83
28/08/2007, 4:23 PM
...I would imagine Staunton will put McShane in at RB, persist with Finnan at LB and, given the positive noises that have been made, continue with Dunne and O'Shea at CB...
There are three other obvious contenders there: Kelly at left back (where he played well against the Czechs) with either McShane or O'Shea partnering Dunne, or O'Shea at left back with McShane in the middle. They're all plausible.

DmanDmythDledge
28/08/2007, 4:26 PM
Ireland's playing through the middle for City, he's rarely on the wing for them. Elano is playing right wing for the most part.
Elano has been behind the striker, Ireland has played on the right the whole time.

I'd agree with Neil's midfield. Play Ireland on the right and have Finnan overlapping from right full for width. Andy Reid has to be played in the middle.

If Keane or Doyle get injured/suspended we are fooked for strikers.
Don't agree, Andy Keogh is a class player.

Why the hell do we have 4 keepers?:eek:

Lionel Ritchie
28/08/2007, 4:29 PM
I know it's baffling.:confused:

No disrespect to Colgan but surely he's glorified coaching staff at this stage. If Given was injured or sent off :eek: during a game would Nicky Colgan come on instead at this stage? My money'd be on Henderson.

Stuttgart88
28/08/2007, 4:31 PM
I'd still have Hunt on the left. I know he wasn't great against Denmark but in Duff's absence he's the best we have there. I just don't trust Ireland at RHM and think McGeady is our best option there, with Carsley and A. Reid in the middle. There are tough decisions to be made - it's not an easy team to pick.

NeilMcD
28/08/2007, 4:33 PM
Yeah I woudl be happy with your midfield either. It a much of a muchness I think. Tight call is between Reid, Ireland and Hunt and Mc Geady. 3 out of that four to go with Carsley.

tetsujin1979
28/08/2007, 4:34 PM
Elano has been behind the striker, Ireland has played on the right the whole time.
You sure? Any time I've seen him for City, it's been through the middle. Granted it's only been highlights, and he is best in the middle. He should play tomorrow against Bristol, think it's on Sky Sports.

Why the hell do we have 4 keepers?:eek:

I'd guess it's in case Shay gets injured or has to pull out between then and now.

DmanDmythDledge
28/08/2007, 4:38 PM
You sure? Any time I've seen him for City, it's been through the middle.
Yeah, he does tend to cut inside though.

niallsparky
28/08/2007, 5:07 PM
You sure? Any time I've seen him for City, it's been through the middle. Granted it's only been highlights, and he is best in the middle. He should play tomorrow against Bristol, think it's on Sky Sports.

It has been mainly Geovanni on the right, Petrov left and Elano/Johnson/Ireland centre-mid. That said, when Geovanni doesn't play, Ireland goes wide.

ofjames
28/08/2007, 5:36 PM
ireland has been playing on the right wing for city.

hunt is in the form of his life. he definitely deserves his starting spot.

mcshane and dunne are certain to form the central defensive partnership to my mind

geysir
28/08/2007, 5:51 PM
I'd still have Hunt on the left. I know he wasn't great against Denmark but in Duff's absence he's the best we have there. I just don't trust Ireland at RHM and think McGeady is our best option there, with Carsley and A. Reid in the middle. There are tough decisions to be made - it's not an easy team to pick.
After a second (speeded up) look at the Denmark game, Hunt was not as poor as I first thought but McGeady was even better than I first thought.

I see Kevin Foley is recalled, I have never seen him play.

ofjames
28/08/2007, 6:04 PM
foley is a good player, but he's very slight and skinny. he looks like he's in need of a few spudz, and a few helpings of bacon and cabbage

geysir
28/08/2007, 6:25 PM
Then I guess he will be rooming with Andy Reid.

DeNiro
28/08/2007, 6:28 PM
Alan O’Brien - Hibernian :rolleyes:

I don't think that blue face does justice to this guy's inclusion again. He won't even make the bench. Waste of time. BTW, Staunton won't drop Kilbane so a midfield of Ireland, Carsley, Reid and McGeady is wishful thinking. I would go with it myself, but there's no chance of Staunton doing so.

tricky_colour
28/08/2007, 6:48 PM
No Lee Trundle then?
Still we can't have a player with talant in the squad can we, don't want to upset the apple cart. Best have a few donkeys in instead.
There is no need for goals like these in Irish football

Edit this one has sound on it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lX_3vgOku6s

shakermaker1982
28/08/2007, 8:15 PM
I'm guessing the reason we have 4 keepers is that Shay has a massive question mark over his fitness/injury.

I want this line up in MF: McGeady Carsley A Reid Hunt

I feel sorry for S Ireland but McGeady needs to start on the right wing and S Hunt has had a good start to the season and IMO is more than just an impact sub. Once A Reid tires we can bring Ireland on for the last 20.

gwhite
28/08/2007, 8:52 PM
No Lee Trundle then?
Still we can't have a player with talant in the squad can we, don't want to upset the apple cart. Best have a few donkeys in instead.
There is no need for goals like these in Irish football

Edit this one has sound on it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lX_3vgOku6s

Holy sh*t! I hadn't seen those goals, I think if he scores again at the weekend and there's any injuries, he should get a sniff. I know he's 30 and all but Aldo, Caz and Quinn were scoring big goals well into their mid/late 30's....

Hibs4Ever
28/08/2007, 9:03 PM
Can't believe all this nonsense of putting McGeady in ahead of Stephen Ireland, just because McGeady has had ONE good game for us in a friendly against Denmark :rolleyes:

tricky_colour
28/08/2007, 9:26 PM
Holy sh*t! I hadn't seen those goals, I think if he scores again at the weekend and there's any injuries, he should get a sniff. I know he's 30 and all but Aldo, Caz and Quinn were scoring big goals well into their mid/late 30's....

Actually it had already been posted in the Lee Trundle Again thread, but with better quality, here it is.

http://www.football.virginmedia.com/page/championshipvideo/0,,12555~1099692,00.html

As Trundle doesn't particularly rely on pace for his game there is no reason why he has not got a good five years or more in him. Teddy Sherringham was playing international footall at 36 so he is still a 'youngster' in that respect.

Billsthoughts
28/08/2007, 10:18 PM
Stephen Kelly who you said was a pretty good player in another thread.
i meant the foley lad.....but good to know you keep notes on my posts..:eek:

Hibs4Ever
28/08/2007, 10:43 PM

Whats your point?

DmanDmythDledge
28/08/2007, 10:49 PM
It has been mainly Geovanni on the right, Petrov left and Elano/Johnson/Ireland centre-mid. That said, when Geovanni doesn't play, Ireland goes wide.
No Ireland has started when fit, Geovanni bench. Elano behind striker and Hamann/Johnson centre mid the whole time.

Have you seen him play for Hibs? If he's doing alright there no harm including him.

I feel sorry for S Ireland but McGeady needs to start on the right wing
Why? He plays on the left the whole time for Celtic.

Ordinary Fan
28/08/2007, 11:23 PM
Stan's MF Reid Killbane Carsley McGeady/Ireland

Need cover at the back with Dunne and McShane on yellow cards. Could have included Andy O'Brien as cover. He was'nt the only defender who played s##te in Cyprus

kingdom hoop
29/08/2007, 12:39 AM
Personnel choices are grand but the configuration of the squad is a bit ludicrous with only six defenders. By and large, there are three subs for every two positions, but in defence we have just two subs to cover four positions! My maths are very good so I can assure you there is an imbalance. Granted, Kilbane can, or tries, double as a defender but even at that we're left a bit short of defenders for training. I think one of us might get a call to complete the numbers ! Either Douglas/Gibson or O'Brien should have been jettisoned for a CB. But hey, I'm sure things will work out fine. :)

I'm envisioning a midfield of 7. Ireland, 8. Reid, 6. Carsley, 11. Kilbane.

But I wonder if Doyle's place is sacrosanct or whether, á la Wales for a while, Ireland might be pushed up, with McGeady and Hunt then offering the width.

Morbo
29/08/2007, 1:57 AM
I'm guessing the fact that only 6 defenders were named means Kilbane will probably start at left back, still a bit short though.
I'd go with Ireland ahead of McGeady, McGeady has only really been impressive in a friendly whilst Stephen Ireland has come up big when we needed him, probably would be out of contention for qualification all together without Ireland, bring on McGeady as an impact sub when A Reid starts to tire.

danonion
29/08/2007, 5:14 AM
Trundle in! Toss murphy in the boyne

Stuttgart88
29/08/2007, 7:53 AM
I'm guessing the fact that only 6 defenders were named means Kilbane will probably start at left back, still a bit short though.
I'd say that Kilbane is considered as a potential defensive option but I doubt he'll start there.

tetsujin1979
29/08/2007, 9:21 AM
Ireland impressed against Slovakia when he started, and McGeady was effective as an impact sub against a tiring Slovakia defence back in March.
That could impact on Stan's thinking.

jbyrne
29/08/2007, 9:40 AM

he's hardly included an extra gk at the expense of a defender!
no noticeable ommissions in that dept to me. no harm in alan obrien being there also

jbyrne
29/08/2007, 9:42 AM
I'd say that Kilbane is considered as a potential defensive option but I doubt he'll start there.

kilbane has filled in before at left back and done well. particularly in cameroon match in wc. wouldnt be unhappy at all with that decision especially if it meant finnan going to his natural rb position

NeilMcD
29/08/2007, 9:52 AM
Ireland impressed against Slovakia when he started, and McGeady was effective as an impact sub against a tiring Slovakia defence back in March.
That could impact on Stan's thinking.

Mc Geady started that night and he was not that impressive at all.

youngirish
29/08/2007, 9:55 AM
Mc Geady started that night and he was not that impressive at all.

Yeah he was pants. He kept passing the ball to the Slovakian defence.

shakermaker1982
29/08/2007, 9:57 AM
If Ireland is to start then it has to be in the centre of midfield IMO (this would mean A Reid losing out or having to sit on the left wing). Ireland is wasted on the wing and I'd rather see McGeady having a go at their full backs. Stan might decide to have Ireland playing in the hole with Doyle losing out.