PDA

View Full Version : Big Game FAI Preview

pete
11/04/2003, 5:29 PM
Turners Cross baptism of fire for Dolan - 11 April 2003

Old allegiances will be put to one side, at least for 90 minutes, when new boss Pat Dolan takes charge of Cork City for the first time against his old club St. Patrick's Athletic, the team he led so many triumphs in recent seasons, in Saturday's eagerly awaited eircom League Premier Division clash before a 7,000 sell-out crowd at Turners Cross (kick-off 5.05 pm - live on TV3). Elsewhere, there are four games in the First Division.

Dolan had made just one new signing since arriving on Leeside just over a month ago - the former St.Pat's man Keith Doyle. But the Cork boss must plan without suspended striker George O'Callaghan as the club celebrate their 20th season in senior football.

"The players I inherited will all be given their chance. They have done well in training and I have been impressed by their attitude. Perhaps I may have to add to the squad at a later date, but for the moment everyone will be given the opportunity to show they deserve their place in the squad," said Dolan.

Despite having recovered from injury, goalkeeper Michael Devine may have to be content with a place on the subs. bench as Noel Mooney has impressed in pre-season action. Central defender Dan Murray, signed on loan from Peterborough United midway through last season, has signed a one year contract and is likely to partner Declan Daly at the back with Neal Horgan at right back and Gareth Cronin at left back.

St.Pat's boss Eamonn Collins will wait until a late fitness test on midfielder Davy Byne (hamstring) before deciding on whether the former Shelbourne man will start. But definitely ruled out by a one match ban is Welsh striker Tony Bird.

Collins has made several vital signings in the close season and among those who could figure are strikers David Freeman (Nottingham Forest) and Liam George (Boston Utd.) - both prodigees of Brian Kerr when supremo at Irish youth level. Others in the reckoning are midfielder Keith Fahy (Aston Villa), goalkeeper Chris Adamson (West Brom) and striker Keith Dunne (Ashtownvilla).

Karim El Kehybir, a right sided midfielder who previously played for French club Brest, could make his debut providing his international clearance comes through.

"There have been a lot of changes at St.Pat's during the close season and it may take a little while to gel. But I am very happy with the set-up and looking forward to the challenge," said Collins.

"My philosophy of football is that if you do the simple things well, success will come. We will operate a straightforward 4-4-2 formation and with the support of an excellent Board, I am very optimistic about the future of this club."