PDA

View Full Version : When will the squad be announced.

gally
27/08/2007, 1:32 PM
seems like Darron Gibson will be in as he is not in the under 21's.

NeilMcD
27/08/2007, 1:35 PM
Tuesday.

theworm2345
27/08/2007, 3:51 PM
Tuesday.
Thats sort of stupid, why not wait until Wednesday after all of the Carling Cup matches are over

bwagner
27/08/2007, 3:54 PM
Who would you guys include in your squads?

shaneker
27/08/2007, 4:00 PM
Carr's most likely out according to fai.ie

Blessing in disguise, I think a back 4 of Finnan (at RIGHT back, Stan!), Dunne, McShane and O'Shea might actually have a chance of keeping the Slovaks and Czechs out.

bwagner
27/08/2007, 4:05 PM
Guys what the max amount of players Stan could bring for the double header?

tetsujin1979
27/08/2007, 4:11 PM
Guys what the max amount of players Stan could bring for the double header?
Think 23 is the standard squad size, however Stan can name as many as he wants tomorrow, and chop and change as he sees fit until the game.

shelbourne1904
27/08/2007, 4:17 PM
Blessing in disguise, I think a back 4 of Finnan (at RIGHT back, Stan!), Dunne, McShane and O'Shea might actually have a chance of keeping the Slovaks and Czechs out.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.While OShea cant pass the ball not many can pass him.Whats up with Carr anyway??

Colbert Report
27/08/2007, 5:29 PM
Here's the twenty three I think will be picked, not who I think Stan should pick:

Shay Given
Wayne Henderson
Nick Colgan

Steve Finnan
Stephen Carr
Richard Dunne
Paul McShane
John O'Shea
Kevin Kilbane
Stephen Kelly

Aiden McGeady
Steven Reid
Andy Reid
Stephen Hunt
Lee Carsley
Darren Gibson
Stephen Ireland
Alan O'Brien

Robbie Keane
Kevin Doyle
Shane Long
Anthony Stokes
Daryl Murphy

I think he'll go with a starting lineup that looks like this:

Given

Carr O'Shea Dunne Finnan

McGeady Andy Reid Carsley Hunt

Keane Doyle

Bench:
GK: Henderson (may start if Given isn't fit in time, then Colin Doyle gets a call up)
CB: McShane (If we're chasing you can put him on and push O'Shea up to the midfield)
CM: Gibson
CM: Ireland
LWM: O'Brien
ST: Long
ST: Murphy

I'd just like to say that the only reason that Stan has Carr in his starting line up and is willing to play Finnan, our best player, out of position, is because Carr retired from international football when Staunton took over and he was begged to change his mind. It's tough now for Stan to drop him from the team after begging him to make himself available for selection.

NeilMcD
27/08/2007, 6:30 PM
Carr hopefully will not be fit.

theworm2345
27/08/2007, 9:53 PM
I wonder if Stokes' fight with Givens will have any affect on this

Fergie's Son
28/08/2007, 6:30 AM
You're kidding yourself if you think Kilbane won't start.

RogerMilla
28/08/2007, 7:13 AM
You're kidding yourself if you think Kilbane won't start.

agreed , i'd be stunned if he was dropped

bohsRap
28/08/2007, 7:23 AM
I think a back 4 of Finnan (at RIGHT back, Stan!), Dunne, McShane and O'Shea might actually have a chance of keeping the Slovaks and Czechs out.

I find it hard to believe people can so easily forget how bad O'Shea is at left
back! Ok, Finnan's natural position is at right back but we have no other option
for left back (Kilbane is not good enough either).

Better to have an even balance of full backs instead of one brilliant right back
and a poor left back. Teams will soon cop on and exploit your left back.

livehead1
28/08/2007, 9:41 AM
What are the chances of him calling Trundle up after his exploits at the weekend. He'd offer more at this moment in time than Murphy, Stokes and Long combined, although I have been pleased with Long recently.

geysir
28/08/2007, 11:26 AM
Extremly slim chance for a new player to come in now to the squad.
Hard to believe there is only 10 days to go.

NeilMcD
28/08/2007, 12:28 PM
Stan's got plenty of options as he names 23-man squad for qualifiers
Tools

* Print Print
* Email Email

Search Search Go

Tuesday August 28 2007

STEVE STAUNTON will discover today if there is any truth in the old adage that football managers love the sort of headaches that having too many options brings.

The Republic of Ireland boss will announce his squad for the critical Euro 2008 qualifiers against Slovakia on September 8, and the Czech Republic four days later, this afternoon. Staunton has known for a long time that Ireland's hopes of reaching the finals will hinge on next month's double-header.

He may have hoped all along to have a full deck to choose from, but now he is facing into the possibility of leaving out players that are considered established.

Last week's 4-0 win over Denmark in Aarhus means the Irish will head to Bratislava on Saturday week brimming with confidence. The confident displays of Shane Long and debut boy Darron Gibson in particular that night will cement their places.

Staunton named 23 players originally for that tie, and is likely to assemble a similarly sized squad given the fact that the Irish face two tough fixtures in the space of four days.

Progress reports on the fitness of Stephen Carr, Lee Carsley, Stephen Elliott and Shay Given will be made before the panel is announced. Newcastle United defender Carr is considered a major doubt after limping out of the Magpies' clash with Middlesbrough on Sunday.

Hamstring

Carr had to be replaced just six minutes into Sunday's tie at the Riverside Stadium after suffering a hamstring injury.

A torn hamstring would rule the right-back out of action for up to six weeks.

Magpies keeper Given was back on the Newcastle bench at the weekend after a groin problem and is expected to back to full health for both of the crucial internationals.

Everton midfielder Carsley is also a doubt after he limped off in the opening half of Everton's game against Blackburn with a groin strain.

On the positive side, Paul McShane was back in action for Sunderland against Liverpool after a facial injury ruled him out of the Danish game.

Stephen Ireland was also back in the Manchester City side after illness prevented him travelling to Aarhus. Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Elliott did not return to club action at the weekend after picking up an ankle injury two weeks ago.

Injuries

Elliott has struggled for a consistent run without injury in recent years, but Staunton remains an admirer of the Dubliner.

The problem for Elliott is that other players are appearing on the scene to challenge for a striking role with the senior squad -- including Molineux team-mate Andy Keogh. Leeds United midfielder Jonathan Douglas was released from the Irish squad ahead of the Denmark game to complete a transfer, but it has yet to go through.

His place could come under threat from the emergence of Manchester United youngster Gibson.

Gibson may have been a late call-up for the Danish game, but his performance proved that he is a serious long term option for the centre of the Irish midfield.

He is expected to be included in Staunton's squad again this time but long-term absentees Joey O'Brien and Steven Reid are making slow progress, as they look to recover from injuries with Reid yet to play any game this term after 10 months out.

geysir
28/08/2007, 2:04 PM
It's a bit of a worry about Carsley.
He isn't on the Everton injured list

Closed Account
28/08/2007, 2:12 PM
25 man squad mentioned on radio but thats all i heard, who'll be the first to post the final squad....

theworm2345
28/08/2007, 2:25 PM
Darron Gibson should be involved for the friendlies, I highly doubt he's ready for these qualifiers