PDA

View Full Version : Who will top Connacht/Ulster section?

GreenStar
27/08/2007, 1:23 PM
Vote for your choice...

Sam_Heggy
27/08/2007, 9:35 PM
It will be derry top with Harps second. How any1 can claim Galway is laughable. The are p!ss poor and sligo hammered them 6-2 last week.

billyc
29/08/2007, 10:29 PM
Sligo had 7 of there first team squad,maybe it was a bad idea to play Sligo in Sligo midweek.

sligoman
30/08/2007, 12:58 AM
Sligo had 7 of there first team squad,maybe it was a bad idea to play Sligo in Sligo midweek.No point making excuses, ye were terrible.

Foy, Meredith, Gordon, Curran. Don't know who the 7 were?:confused: Memory isn't great so you may be right but Foy and Curran rarely play for the senior team. It was Meredith and Gordon's first game for a Rovers side and they hadn't played in ages so their fitness wouldn't have been spectacular so neither of the 4 really count as first teamers. Ye were beaten by a much better side on the night, accept it. Even Paul Cook felt sorry for ye so gifted ye a goal:p.

gustavo
30/08/2007, 1:35 AM
No point making excuses, ye were terrible.

Foy, Meredith, Gordon, Curran. Don't know who the 7 were?:confused: Memory isn't great so you may be right but Foy and Curran rarely play for the senior team. It was Meredith and Gordon's first game for a Rovers side and they hadn't played in ages so their fitness wouldn't have been spectacular so neither of the 4 really count as first teamers. Ye were beaten by a much better side on the night, accept it. Even Paul Cook felt sorry for ye so gifted ye a goal:p.

He said first team squad of which Foy and Curran are certainly a part of

sligoman
30/08/2007, 1:41 AM
He said first team squad of which Foy and Curran are certainly a part ofHe's making it sound like they're a regular part of our squad of which they're certainly not. I'm waiting for the 7 too, cos I honestly don't remember that many first teamers playing.

sligoman
30/08/2007, 2:16 AM
Found out, team that day was: Levi Tierney, Keith Foy, Glen McCormack, Ryan Menzies, James Meredith, Gary Curran, Matt Gordon, Gary Melly, Mikey Creane, Mark Hutchinson[Defender playing in goals btw;)], Ross McLoughlin.

billy c, point out the 7 when you get a chance. Thanks in advance.

billyc
30/08/2007, 11:24 AM
Don't know all your lads but how many were in your Squad when you played Galway on Friday night ?

I know a few players in the 21's and they told me they were beaten by a much better team,not crying over it,they accept it.

Point is none of the Galway u-21's played of have played with the first team.Very young team.

Demoshield
30/08/2007, 3:15 PM
It will be derry top with Harps second. How any1 can claim Galway is laughable. The are p!ss poor and sligo hammered them 6-2 last week.

23 June Away Salthill Devon 2-0 won
30 June Away Derry City 1-1 drew
7 July Cup*(A) Sligo Rovers 2-1 won
14 July Home Sligo Rovers 4-1 won
25 July Home Letterkenny R 3-1 won
04 Aug Away Finn Harps 0-0 drew
07 Aug Cup*(A) Limerick 37 3-1 won
14 Aug Away Castlebar Celtic 5-2 won
18 Aug Home Monaghan United 1-1 drew
22 Aug Away Sligo Rovers 2-6 lost
26 Aug Cup*(H) Shamrock Rovers 2-1 won

Team Pld W D L PTS
Derry City 8 7 1 0 22
Finn Harps 8 5 1 2 16
Galway United 8 4 3 1 15
Castlebar Celtic 8 3 1 4 10
Monaghan United 7 2 2 3 8
Letterkenny Rov 8 1 3 4 6
Salthill Devon 7 1 2 4 5
Sligo Rovers 8 1 1 6 4

THOSE ARE THE FACTS:
But never let them get in the way of a load of bulls**t
With Derry, Finn Harps & the mighty Sligo all to travel to Galway.
Galway played half a team against Sligo because of cup game against Rovers on Sunday. The regulars that did play took it handy.

sligoman
30/08/2007, 3:16 PM
Don't know all your lads but how many were in your Squad when you played Galway on Friday night ?4. Only 2 of them started. 1 came on with 17mins left and the other was un-used sub. So maybe check your facts before you use silly excuses in future.

MyTown
30/08/2007, 3:34 PM
4. Only 2 of them started. 1 came on with 17mins left and the other was un-used sub. So maybe check your facts before you use silly excuses in future.

1. Brilliant win for Sligo Rovers. 6-2 speaks for itself whoever took to the field.

2. Try not to be so arrogant all your life.

sligoman
30/08/2007, 3:49 PM
2. Try not to be so arrogant all your life.I dislike when people use invalid excuses.

GreenStar
31/08/2007, 8:33 AM
That's the thing about Under-21 football. From week to week clubs will field different teams for differing reasons: first team players playing, injuries, suspensions, trialists, etc. You can never predict what sort of team your next opposition will field. That's the essence of Under-21 football which, after all, is the Reserve League.

Therefore, I personally don't think any argument that the opposition played this player or that player is valid. Also the argument that any club 'rested' certain players (in a League derby game) because of an upcoming Cup match doesn't hold much water with me either. If a club can afford to 'rest' Under-21 players then they must have a huge squad at their disposal. Plus I would be of the opinion that the League would be the priority but I guess it's different targets for different clubs.

Anyway, if Sligo beat Galway 6-2 then full credit to them. They were obviously the best team on the day.

Demoshield
31/08/2007, 11:59 AM
If you have a look at the posts again, nobody has a problem with loosing the game to Sligo. We played the way we did and accept the result, Sligo deserved their win on the day & good luck to them. We are all but qualified out of our section in the league. It the post "How any1 can claim Galway is laughable. The are p!ss poor and sligo hammered them 6-2 last week" that is idiotic.
We have lost 1 game out of 11 this season, under the circumstances outlined above.
We have played the top 2 away and neither of them could beat us.
We have beaten Sligo twice this season, 2-1 away in the cup & 4-1 at home in the league.
We have lost less games than Finn Harps this season.
We now have a dedicated U21 squad, alot of whom are 17/18/19.
Three of our senior suqad are also U21. Only 1 of which has played for the U21's.

GreenStar
31/08/2007, 1:34 PM
Well a quick look at the League table tells us all that Galway will qualify from the group, however 7 points behind the leaders with 6 games to go suggests it may be difficult to top the group (although definitely not idiotic to suggest). However, may I suggest we draw a line under this debate and after series 14 we will know.

galwayhoop
31/08/2007, 3:23 PM
lads ye have won one game out of 8 ffs! get a life.

so what if GUFC got hammered by yer first team or yer u21's. doesn't matter. we have lost one game in the league and ye have only won one. we are in the cup semi final as we won our quarter final a few days after playing ye in sligo. we lost a game, admittadly got hammered, but we will qualify out of the section anyway and are also in the last 4 of the cup - a competition we knocked ye out of aswell!

who sould be slagging who!!!

Schumi
31/08/2007, 3:54 PM
who should be slagging who!!!Neither of you?

galwayhoop
31/08/2007, 4:05 PM
Neither of you?

and i wasn't. just merely pointing out that sligo are bottom feeders in this division and one win against one of the teams from the top half hardly puts them in a position to comment negitavely on GUFC's merits as one of the top teams in the league.

galwayhoop
03/09/2007, 10:02 AM
6-2 and we let you score 6-2 and we let you score 6-2 and we let you score.:D

how did ye fair out at the weekend without yer first team players????????

Terry
03/09/2007, 10:29 AM

how anybody can claim Harps is laughable. They are poor and salthill devon beat them 1-0 last week !!!!:rolleyes:

galwayhoop
03/09/2007, 11:49 AM
back on topic, it now looks like Derry City will top this section after beating GUFC who were at home at the weekend. however there are no prizes given out for winning a section and both the top two teams gain an equal advantage as both are at home in the knockout round (assuming the same format as last year).

the race seems to be now between Harps and GUFC for second spot. as Utd have Harps to come at home I reckon it will be GUFC second but you never know.

sligoman
03/09/2007, 5:17 PM
how did ye fair out at the weekend without yer first team players????????We lost 3-0 yesterday as we didn't actually turn up. Only 9 players turned up to travel so we didn't go. tbh, the club don't really care about the u-21's this season for some reason.

Closing Time
03/09/2007, 6:15 PM
We lost 3-0 yesterday as we didn't actually turn up. Only 9 players turned up to travel so we didn't go. tbh, the club don't really care about the u-21's this season for some reason.

Poor form for a so called big club. I hope the club will receive a large fine so they will take the league serious or not enter next year.

feo123
13/10/2007, 11:21 PM
jee, i wonder if 'billy' c is billy cleary. he's not giving any clues away or anything

billyc
14/10/2007, 9:18 AM
his brother

feo123
14/10/2007, 10:10 PM
do ye both have the same name?

billyc
14/10/2007, 11:18 PM
what do u think

Terry
15/10/2007, 8:43 AM
do ye both have the same name?

:D I hope your kidding there :D

Patrick Dunne
15/10/2007, 2:01 PM
In Sligo, particularly the more remote rural areas, it is not unknown for
siblings to have the same name.

The recent Central Statistics Office found that of the 78 Michael Kellys in Ballymote, 16 were brothers, 61 were cousins, and one was a transexual, formerly Michelle Kelly.

In Sligo town, names like Britney, Whitney, Shakira and Shania are more popular.

Tir Oilean
15/10/2007, 3:03 PM
GUFC 5 Finn Harps 2. Laughable:-)

feo123
16/10/2007, 6:26 PM
you must really adore your brother if you use his name on this!

the names you listed are better than mary, john paul, barney, patsy, martin, barney junior, barney junior junior, more frequently used in galway ;)

do galway ever use first teamers in the u21 side?

Terry
16/10/2007, 11:06 PM
do galway ever use first teamers in the u21 side?

No, none of the players that would be classed as frequent starters. Most of the squad are players aged 18-20 from around the city and county.

galwayhoop
17/10/2007, 9:54 AM
the names you listed are better than mary, john paul, barney, patsy, martin, barney junior, barney junior junior, more frequently used in galway ;)

i was born in Galway and have lived here most of my life. i can never remember meeting a Barney!!!! The only Barney I can recall is Barney Rock and he was a Dub.....:confused:

GreenStar
17/10/2007, 11:20 AM
i was born in Galway and have lived here most of my life. i can never remember meeting a Barney!!!! The only Barney I can recall is Barney Rock and he was a Dub.....:confused:

Big purple dinosaur?????

galwayhoop
17/10/2007, 12:28 PM
Big purple dinosaur?????

never met him and pretty sure he is not a Galwegian...

GreenStar
17/10/2007, 2:02 PM
Ah I don't know. He does have a bit of a twang ;-)