PDA

View Full Version : Shels next home game

Gareth
26/08/2007, 8:07 PM
I was just wondering if for Shels next home game, how many fans from other clubs would be willing to turn up to it, in your club colours, to mark the passing of Ollie. It seems to me that love him or hate him, he was a huge fan, and well it'd be really nice to see one night where Tolka Park could be a bit fuller to mark his passing. Just a thought....

LeixlipRed
26/08/2007, 8:13 PM
I can see a few fans from other clubs attending his funeral alright but I doubt (and wouldn't expect) many to turn up at our next game. The game should be a time for shels fans to remember Ollie and although other club's fans would be welcome I wouldn't hold it against them for not coming

gael353
26/08/2007, 9:03 PM
when is that next home game? is it Thursday? Friday? Saturday?

Anto McC
26/08/2007, 10:16 PM
Saturday 1st Sept (http://http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=730)

Dodge
26/08/2007, 10:20 PM
I was just wondering if for Shels next home game, how many fans from other clubs would be willing to turn up to it, in your club colours, to mark the passing of Ollie. It seems to me that love him or hate him, he was a huge fan, and well it'd be really nice to see one night where Tolka Park could be a bit fuller to mark his passing. Just a thought....

Let everyone in for free.

L37Ultra
26/08/2007, 10:29 PM
Is Shels next home game against Limerick going ahead? There are rumours going around Limerick that it may be called off as a mark of respect!!

L37Ultra
26/08/2007, 10:30 PM
Let everyone in for free.

Good idea, but Shelbourne need every penny they can get their hands on at the moment!!

gilberto_eire
26/08/2007, 10:45 PM

that see why watching shels play is a mark of respect...going to the funeral on the other hand.....

Battery Rover
26/08/2007, 11:17 PM
Is Shels next home game against Limerick going ahead? There are rumours going around Limerick that it may be called off as a mark of respect!!

Says on their website that the Limerick match will now take place on Saturday 1st September at 8PM

gael353
26/08/2007, 11:23 PM
Says on their website that the Limerick match will now take place on Saturday 1st September at 8PM

And with an estimated 40,000 limerick gaa fans in dub next week (30,000 without tickets) might be an idea to promote it around the streets of dublin.

Battery Rover
27/08/2007, 12:24 AM
And with an estimated 40,000 limerick gaa fans in dub next week (30,000 without tickets) might be an idea to promote it around the streets of dublin.

Get hold of two hurling final tickets and give free entry to a half time draw for them to every paying adult through the gate. Advertise it well through local radio down here in Limerick and it should get half of them through the gate:D

Tis-smeee
27/08/2007, 3:51 AM
Na im washing my hair

GreenStar
27/08/2007, 7:27 AM
Being honest, I'm sure every eircom League game this week will preceded by a minutes silence/applause so everyone will get the chance to show their respects anyway. I just don't see how attending a Shelbourne match would be any more a mark of respect. Anyone who wants to go a step further will be able to attend the funeral.

Hibs4Ever
27/08/2007, 11:27 AM
Being honest, I'm sure every eircom League game this week will preceded by a minutes silence/applause so everyone will get the chance to show their respects anyway. I just don't see how attending a Shelbourne match would be any more a mark of respect. Anyone who wants to go a step further will be able to attend the funeral.

Why.?

LeixlipRed
27/08/2007, 11:30 AM
Some of the comments in here are bordering on it lads. Leave it out will you. Say whatever you want about Ollie in private not on here where members of his family could read it

Magicme
27/08/2007, 11:56 AM
Why.?

Because the eL is a small family who have respect for each other. Ollie may have been an "uncle" you didnt get on too well with but he was still family. Dont try to start an argument bout stuff like that in a thread where people are paying tributes. It belittles you and no one else.

GreenStar
27/08/2007, 12:19 PM
Because the eL is a small family who have respect for each other. Ollie may have been an "uncle" you didnt get on too well with but he was still family. Dont try to start an argument bout stuff like that in a thread where people are paying tributes. It belittles you and no one else.

Hear Hear

Hibs4Ever
27/08/2007, 12:39 PM

Wasn't starting an arguement at all. Just asked a question

PS: people are paying tributes on the tribute thread. This thread has asked for opinions

bellavistaman
27/08/2007, 3:02 PM
Minute silence in every EL ground this weekend appropiate enough for me. But there will be one or two people who are bound to make a show of themselves during it.

LeixlipRed
27/08/2007, 3:05 PM
A minutes applause would drown out the jeers of the mindless few who would do such a thing

derrymac
27/08/2007, 3:06 PM
On the Derry forum there is discussion about a minutes applause / noise rather than silence at the game tomorrow night. That way the few arseholes / olliebashers who cant keep quiet for a minute won't be noticed among the 3000 people observing it. What do yoo think.. should it be a minutes noise, drumming and whistles to remember Ollie?

bellavistaman
27/08/2007, 3:08 PM
A minutes applause would drown out the jeers of the mindless few who would do such a thing

Good point, dont really get the minute applause thing though. But your right it would be better option this time though.

Dodge
27/08/2007, 3:42 PM
I'd stay silent, I wouldn't appluad.

micls
27/08/2007, 3:46 PM
I think it would be harder for a lot of people to applaud Ollie than to stay silent respectfully.

Fact is he was disliked by a lot of people and though 99% wold be willing to observe a minutes silence in respect as he was an EL man askingt hem to applaud may be too much.

Half a stadium applauding while others don't would be worse than one or 2 idiots trying to ruin the minutes silence imo

Poor Student
27/08/2007, 6:01 PM
Half a stadium applauding while others don't would be worse than one or 2 idiots trying to ruin the minutes silence imo

One person can ruin a minute's silence, you can't really ruin applause by staying silent.

Jerry The Saint
27/08/2007, 6:17 PM
Being honest, I'm sure every eircom League game this week will preceded by a minutes silence/applause so everyone will get the chance to show their respects anyway.

Why.?

Valid question I feel. Obviously Shelbourne will have a meaningful and well-deserved tribute to the man.

I know that Pats did not have a minute's silence when James Sexton tragically died recently and remember being surprised at the time but then realised that such gestures are usually reserved for people involved with that particular club. For instance, I don't know if Shels (or other clubs) had a minute silence when Harry Boland died.

I suppose it often comes down to how famous the person was and how much coverage it gets. Minutes' silence/applause are odd things generally - there's no fixed rules and people may think you're being disrespectful if you question anything related to them.

Gareth
27/08/2007, 7:00 PM
It really was just a suggestion. Nothing major in it bar maybe some people might like to pop down that knew him etc. Or thought Tolka would be a good place to be for it. Tis all. Anyways...

micls
27/08/2007, 10:04 PM
One person can ruin a minute's silence, you can't really ruin applause by staying silent.

You dont think it would look bad if a camera was panning around the stadium tonight and the majority werent clapping for the minutes applause?

Minutes silence was observed very well

superfrank
27/08/2007, 10:14 PM
I tell you I was genuinely surprised by how well the minutes silence was treated at Turner's tonight. It was a good show by the Cork fans.

sfc red
27/08/2007, 10:47 PM
I'd stay silent, I wouldn't appluad.

You're mad Dodge, look at you you're crazy, playing the rebel as usual.

LeixlipRed
28/08/2007, 1:20 AM
Minute's silence was imbeccably observed at Turners Cross tonight. Fair play to all

Dodge
28/08/2007, 3:11 AM
You're mad Dodge, look at you you're crazy, playing the rebel as usual.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

McShels
28/08/2007, 8:23 AM
Just like to echo what Leixlip Red said on the minutes silence held in Turners cross last night, fair play to all.