PDA

View Full Version : Where to build the National Staium

pete
11/04/2003, 11:09 AM
[indo]

National Stadium assessment

THE FAI and the IRFU are still on course to present their proposals for the new National Stadium to the Minister of Sport next Tuesday in Dublin.

Minister John O'Donoghue requested the two sporting bodies to present their assessment of the suitability and cost of building a no-frills 65,000 seater stadium.

Four venues are currently being considered and they are Lansdowne Road, Abbotstown, Ringsend and Newlands Cross.

As reported in the Irish Independent on February 5, concern has already been expressed about the prohibitive cost of rebuilding Lansdowne Road, while the other venues lack the necessary infrastructure for a modern-day sports stadium.

Consultants Ove Arup, who were hired to assess each site and work out the relevant costings, have already presented a preliminary report to the working party set up by the two associations and are due to deliver their complete analysis by next Monday.

Macy
11/04/2003, 11:22 AM
FFS Ringsend isn't that far from the Dart/ City Centre...... Has to be Lansdowne, for convenience to the city centre and the infrastructure in place (it can already cope with 55-56000 for the rugby, so the additional numbers won't make that much difference....

I though the problems with Lansdowne were...
1) The local residents re planning - which I fookin hate the objections, as I doubt there's many that have lived there before there was a stadium!

2) Lansdowne Rugby Clubs lease of the ground - seeing the €€€€'s and want a big pay off

3) FF's failure to accept that bertie's dream is a dead duck in abbotstown...

pete
11/04/2003, 12:15 PM
I think its safe enough to assume the bottle plant at Ringsend & Newlands Cross are not runners which is why just left the 2 options.

I think the government are willing to cough up 200m (could recoup 25-50m in VAT & other taxes) with the FAI/IRFU to meet the difference with advance ticket sales.

Seems Abbotstown will be cheap to build because its a green field site 'n all but not sure how much cheaper that would be... Drove up past the new Aquatic Centre up there a few weeks ago & is not as far out of the way as I thought before.

Still Landsdowne has to be the preferred option.

I wonder why the FAI/IRFU don't take out a mortage (nice low ratres at the moment) for 20-30 years or something to raise some extra funds? Makes more sense to spread the cost of paying for the stadium over the use of the stadium just like any property?

Pat MacGroyne
13/04/2003, 7:08 PM
Bring it to the Peoples Republic!!!!

Turners Cross is the ideal location.:D

Tom Peppers
15/04/2003, 2:49 PM
Ya why not turners cross. Sure there is plenty of room for development here. I d say another you could get in another 40,000 seats easily!

sadloserkid
15/04/2003, 3:05 PM
I wondered how long it would be until somebody suggested Cork :rolleyes:
First guy was joking (I think) and second guy is probably a winder-upper of people so I suppose it's not bad but if anybody seriously suggests Cork they're talking great steaming heaps of poop! Demographics people!!! Demographics!

Niamh_GalwayGal
22/04/2003, 10:38 PM
Only problem with re-developing Lansdowne would be the interim...We might have to play our "home" internationals in england :eek:
Dunno why we cant use Croker for the big competetive internationals...with the hill redeveloped the capacity will be c. 90,000....its definatly one of the best stadia in europe

dahamsta
22/04/2003, 11:15 PM
Sorry, but that's where I'd like to stick it.

John83
23/04/2003, 9:06 AM
Originally posted by Niamh_GalwayGal
Only problem with re-developing Lansdowne would be the interim...We might have to play our "home" internationals in england :eek:
Dunno why we cant use Croker for the big competetive internationals...with the hill redeveloped the capacity will be c. 90,000....its definatly one of the best stadia in europe

Surely we could manage something else. Though I guess the Millenium stadium in Cardiff isn't that far from Fishguard if you take the ferry from Rosslare, while ferries from Dublin (not to mention the airport) would take you to Liverpool - spitting distance from Anfield, Old Trafford and Goodison Park.

sadloserkid
23/04/2003, 9:10 AM
And Prenton Park! :)

pete
23/04/2003, 10:41 AM
If Lansdowne Road was to be used then think it would be redeveloped over many years like Croke Park. At the most i think would have to find an alternative stadium for a year or two.

John83
23/04/2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by pete
If Lansdowne Road was to be used then think it would be redeveloped over many years like Croke Park. At the most i think would have to find an alternative stadium for a year or two.

If Lansdowne road is redeveloped, they'll have to demolish it and build the new one at right angles to the present pitch. I suspect that that can't be done gradually. ;)

As for playing elsewhere for a year or two, it wouldn't be too bad.