PDA

View Full Version : Owen Garvan again

Pages : [1] 2

irishbaz
26/08/2007, 5:48 PM
Hello all while not a regular poster on this forum I am an avid Irish fan and it constantly baffles me why Owen Garvan is not getting a call up to the Irish squad at any level. I am not one of these people who sees an Irish lad having a good game for any team and then tout them as the next Brady or Keane. I went to the Ipswich game today and the lad was sheer class not a world class player but what potential. He is 19 and the post match review in the pub was all about him the Ipswich fans and the Palace fans all agreed he ran the show today. One for the future definitely look at out current midfield lads in the under 21 squad

Stephen Quinn (Sheffield United), Michael Collins (Huddersfield Town), Stephen Gleeson (Wolves), Patrick Cregg (Falkirk), Keith Treacy (Blackburn Rovers), Shane McFaul (UCD)

No Garvan a comedy or a tragedy? We need to be looking at these players now he will be a premiership player next year no doubt. Why is he not being picked? Is it because of Don Givens or is it because of Stan. As a Country we do not have the luxury of having a load of world class players and to ignore him in my opinion is a disgrace. I want to stress this is not just based on today’s performance!

TheJamaicanP.M.
26/08/2007, 6:15 PM
Great post.

I agree 100%. I watched all of today's match, albeit on the tv. Garvan was outstanding. His passing was magnificent and he made a few good tackles. His vision and passing ability reminds me of Paul Scholes. He can definitely see a pass and just seems to be central to the way Ipswich play. Obviously he was injured for the majority of last season, but I cannot understand why he is not in the Irish U-21 squad. Garvan is an outstanding prospect and I think it would be great if he could help Ipswich get promoted this season.

On a separate note, I was impressed with Jonathon Walters on the right wing today. Given our lack of options down the right flank in recent years, he may provide a good option in that position sometime in the future.

dr_peepee
27/08/2007, 4:33 AM
Strange one alright.... Hard to believe that the association could be so fickle at all levels. Whatever about not getting on with one manager, like say Givens & Stokes now or Ireland and Kerr.... To be overlooked by McCaffrey, Givens and arguably Stan reeks.

On the other hand, if he stays off the international scene for a bit it might help keep him off the radar for another season. He'll be better off playing a full season in the middle in the Championship than moving up to be a benchwarmer at a premiership club.

OwlsFan
27/08/2007, 6:16 AM
I went to the Ipswich game today and the lad was sheer class not a world class player !

Sheer class but not world class :confused:I saw the game on TV. I thought he did well. I wouldn't go as far as to say "sheer class" but he has potential. However, it would be a mistake to rush someone in to the senior squad too early because if you fail early on, you get forgotton about. If he's good enough, he'll make the break through. Whelan has had excellent games for Wednesday but I have also seen him have some poor ones and I wouldn't be calling for his inclusion in the national squad.

"Gently, gently, catch a monkey".

irishbaz
27/08/2007, 7:56 AM
In the post I was not making an argument for him to be called up to the senior squad but to be recognised at some level, when at the game you don’t just get to see what the camera man or woman is focusing on, off the ball he was very influential bossing the game, when on the ball he made things happen when not on the ball he was creating space and demanding the ball. The point is he’s an exciting prospect and in my opinion over the past 18 months has been a consistent and competent performer also as good as any other midfielder we currently have at under 21 level anyway. I recorded the match as well (sad) and Matty Holland, Peter Begrie and Jim Magiliton singled him out for specific praise. Sheer class on the day yes not world class as with any young player he still has to prove himself that’s the difference for Ipswich he is a class act. I am just baffled that he doesn’t even get an under 21 call up. I see your argument about Whelan but he’s not a consistent performer from what I have seen and read. To omit a potential talent like Garvan from the under 21 squad is a luxury we as a country don’t have.

NeilMcD
27/08/2007, 9:10 AM
Yeah I saw the game too and he looked to be the outstanding player. Obviously it is nothing to do with ability why he is not in the squad. I dont know the reason but its not his ability.

Bungle
27/08/2007, 1:00 PM
If we was English he would walk into their under 21 squad. Most Norwich fans reckon he's the best young midefielder by a distance in the Championship. Can't for the life of me understand why he isn't being called up for any of the underage teams.

I wonder did McCafferty have a problem with him and Don 'Corleone' Givens is forming opinions about him based on what he has heard. There is no other possible reason.

cavan_fan
27/08/2007, 1:38 PM
There is something odd about Garvan, big absence last year, the walk out from Ipswich and I'm always surprised no Premiership club has looked to buy hime. We really don't know the situation.

irishbaz
27/08/2007, 2:23 PM
Its sad if there is a political agenda behind it as with Kerr and Ireland he would add quality and competition to the squad at under 21 level and let the FANS have a look at him some of this petty feud mentality really gets on my ***s

pateen
28/08/2007, 11:42 AM
Wasnt Owen Garvans dad a famous player as well. Wonder does something go back to when Givens might have played with Garvan Sr. Just said I throw that in the mix :cool:

beautifulrock
28/08/2007, 11:55 AM
Wasnt Owen Garvans dad a famous player as well. Wonder does something go back to when Givens might have played with Garvan Sr. Just said I throw that in the mix :cool:

Mick Martin would be his uncle and Con Martin his grandfather. Mick and Don would certainly have played together but I feel it is unlikely that this is connected to his absence from the current U21 squad. A strange one alright from what I have seen of Garvan, but maybe there is more to it than meets the eye.

paul_oshea
28/08/2007, 11:59 AM
I was first told about this fella about 2 or so years ago when he was on their youth team by an ipswich fan. He raved and raved about him, all he ever talked about was garvan ( when talking about ipswich! ) and how class he will be. Haven't spoken to the fella in a while due to not workign together anymore but I know he is revered among ipswich fans. As Neil said though there must be something more to it.

Superhoops
28/08/2007, 12:36 PM
There was a story going around about a year or so ago that he pulled out of several underage squads (Under 18/19?) on the basis that he thought he should be straight into the senior squad as he was playing well for Ipswich at the time. Heard that Givens spoke to him about making the step up gradually through the U21's but he did not want to know.

There was another story that he was pi**ed off when Terry Dixon and Anthony Stokes were brought into senior squads.

I don't know if these are true or not, but it would go some way to explain his absence from squads he would have been eligible for. I think he is still eleigible for the u-19's as he is listed as being born in January 1988.

Stuttgart88
28/08/2007, 12:45 PM
That sounds feasible.

Why doesn't the Irish media ask these questions?

Dr. Ogba
28/08/2007, 12:48 PM
That sounds feasible.

Wouldn't surprise me if half of the Irish sports hacks hadn't even heard of him...

eirebhoy
28/08/2007, 1:11 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if half of the Irish sports hacks hadn't even heard of him...
It'd surprise me. They all read this forum.

paul_oshea
28/08/2007, 1:17 PM
It'd surprise me. They all read this forum.

Source?! :D

irishbaz
28/08/2007, 1:55 PM
Just seems a pity that this guy is being overlooked, who in our current crop of young players who HAVE MADE THE STEP UP or not as the case maybe who would you rate as good as or better than him at present playing regular first team football in central midfield?

Stuttgart88
28/08/2007, 1:56 PM
Put it this way: If Darren Potter can take well to international football (albeit in friendlies) then surely Owen Garvan has every chance too?

irishbaz
28/08/2007, 1:58 PM
But thats the exact problem I was highlighting it seems that he is not being given that chance for some strange reason.

geysir
28/08/2007, 2:10 PM
How come with a million fans world wide, some with their ears to the ground in all sorts of wierd places, we can't get good clean info as to why he isn't in the u21 squad. It's not as if Givens can keep a secret.

tetsujin1979
28/08/2007, 2:15 PM
fear of being banned from future interviews or press conferences in a Sir Alex "youse are all b*stards" style?

Stuttgart88
28/08/2007, 2:18 PM
It's not just Givens, it's the whole management hierarchy: McCaffrey, Givens and Stan, as each has overlooked Garvan in last few months.

The point was made elsewhere that the U21 squad only contains 18 names, leaving Givens the option of adding 5 more once the senior squad is announced.

irishbaz
28/08/2007, 2:24 PM
Its just comical! What type of management style and structure do we have in place at the FAI the clowns guide how to manage? I wouldnt be surprised to see stan with a spining bow tie and flower that sprays water at people flanked on either side by those other two fools who wouldnt get a job managing their way out of a paper bag.

Wake up lads

Paddy Garcia
29/08/2007, 8:43 AM
I think he is still eleigible for the u-19's as he is listed as being born in January 1988.

He must be eligible for England now - if I was Stuart Pearce I'd be on to him pronto.

geysir
29/08/2007, 9:27 AM
yes, 2 years residency.
In theory he could play for NI :)

cheifo
29/08/2007, 10:22 AM
In the Ipswich section of BBC 606 their fans have a thread dedicated to Garvan and whilst raving about his ability are resigned to losing him to a Premiership club.Sorry cant do links on this comp.

Dr. Ogba
29/08/2007, 10:44 AM
He must be eligible for England now - if I was Stuart Pearce I'd be on to him pronto.

This would be the last straw for us fans...The complete incompetency of the FAI "gang of lads" in completely ignoring one of our best prospects for years for whatever personal reasons then England coming and nicking him...

Dare I say it but seems kinda similar to what we did to the Scots with McGeady?

Anyway the longer this goes on the more likely that this could actually happen which would be a disgrace...

paul_oshea
29/08/2007, 10:58 AM
any fella who would consider playing for england can go and site ( i know i spelt it wrong )

Paddy Garcia
29/08/2007, 11:16 AM
Hopefully he would say NO - but there is precedent. England tried to persuade Geordan Murphy to declare for them as time rolled by without any interest from the Irish. He had lived over 2 years in England so.....

Stuttgart88
29/08/2007, 11:31 AM
Aren't you getting carried away with the suggestion he might play for England?

ofjames
29/08/2007, 11:31 AM
Hopefully he would say NO - but there is precedent. England tried to persuade Geordan Murphy to declare for them as time rolled by without any interest from the Irish. He had lived over 2 years in England so.....

The RFU also tried to have Johnny O'Connor declare for them as well. And low and behold, he was soon capped for Ireland.

Dr. Ogba
29/08/2007, 11:33 AM
Is it 2 years though? thought it was a lot longer...I remember there was some mad talk of getting DiCanio (I think?) to declare for England a few years back after he had been there a while. Thought it was 5 years at least until you could get a passport...

NeilMcD
29/08/2007, 11:39 AM
Jesus lads I think you are letting your imagination run riot on this one.

Plastic Paddy
29/08/2007, 12:21 PM
That may be so Neil but the question needs to be asked publicly as to why a player of Garvan's obvious talent is not picked for any of the country's teams. In the absence of an answer - either direct or implied (i.e. through picking him!) - it's only natural that people speculate on the alternative outcomes.

Wake up Stan and Don and get the boy capped.

:ball: PP

Ordinary Fan
29/08/2007, 2:12 PM
Stan jumps through hoops to get talentless plastic paddies into the squad and ignores home grown talent.
Garvan has moe to offer than Potter ever will, and yet he may line out in Slovakia!

Plastic Paddy
29/08/2007, 2:20 PM
Stan jumps through hoops to get talentless plastic paddies into the squad and ignores home grown talent

Yawn... :rolleyes:

youngirish
29/08/2007, 2:21 PM
Is it just me or is Darren Potter pretty rubbish? Garvan is way better. Chris McCann is probably better also.

Plastic Paddy
29/08/2007, 2:29 PM
Is it just me or is Darren Potter pretty rubbish?

I don't know, to the best of my knowledge I've never seen you play. ;) :D

Stuttgart88
29/08/2007, 2:29 PM
I was impressed by Potter in the US and last week. Passes well and takes the ball well, far more naturally than KK or JOS. I lik,e the way he receives the ball with his left to make room for his right and so on.

I'm not sure he's as good as we'll need next month but if he continues to improve he could be a useful player for us. He looked poor at RHM for Liverpool but this was never his prefrred position.

Does Chris McCann play a similar role? I thought he was more attacking. Has McCann been selected for any of our underage teams?

Dr. Ogba
29/08/2007, 2:42 PM
Is it just me or is Darren Potter pretty rubbish? Garvan is way better. Chris McCann is probably better also.

Its just you. I've been keeping an eye on him ever since seeing him play for the u21s a few years back. One of the few Irish midfielders around at the moment that can get his foot on the ball and spread the play. And unlike most Irish players, he's not a complete shortar.se either which comes in handy in that CM role...

Paddy Garcia
29/08/2007, 7:48 PM
Aren't you getting carried away with the suggestion he might play for England?

I don't really think he is going to play for England!!! BUT I do think that if England thought there was a chance they would call him up tomorrow.

So I was just using the example to illustrate the point that we refuse to select a player that other (stronger) countries would be "over the moon" to have.

Stuttgart88
30/08/2007, 7:47 AM
At least The Examiner is kind of on the case:

Meanwhile, O’Callaghan’s Irish club mate Owen Garvan has reiterated his ambition to play for his country. According to one local paper, the question on the lips of many Portman Road fans is: “when does Garvan get his chance in the green of the Republic of Ireland.”

The 19-year-old midfielder has been in fine form for Ipswich this season but continues to be overlooked both at U21 and senior level for his country.

Said the Dubliner: “I am desperate to play at international level, of course I am. It is a massive ambition of mine and hopefully in a year or so I can do just that.”

OwlsFan
30/08/2007, 3:38 PM
When he gets an injury free run and continues the good form I have no doubt he'll get a run at some level. However, a regular championship player should not automatically be entitled to represent his country. I have said it often enough that the likes of, for example, Whelan and Geary, are good Championship players but I don't think they are or ever will be international class (alas).

If Garvan is good enough a Premiership club (probably Sunderland :rolleyes:) will come in for him. Until then, be patient one and all.

The Legend
30/08/2007, 4:40 PM
However, a regular championship player should not automatically be entitled to represent his country.

At Under 21 level?? err thats a yes.

Paddy Garcia
30/08/2007, 5:50 PM
..and U 19 level

SkStu
30/08/2007, 6:06 PM
has just been called up to the U21s according to FAI website. Bout time too!

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2349&Itemid=9

eirebhoy
30/08/2007, 6:10 PM
Wehay!

geysir
30/08/2007, 6:20 PM
Next, Stutts will be claiming that Givens reads foot.ie :)

co. down green
30/08/2007, 6:55 PM
has just been called up to the U21s according to FAI website. Bout time too!

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2349&Itemid=9

Good news, the lad is a real prospect and hopefully and disagreements etc.. can be sorted.