PDA

View Full Version : Thats more Like it

geezer
24/08/2007, 9:28 PM
Young Robson was magic tonight. Most United fans were happy at half time with the level of performance and effort. We got what we deserved early in second half and never looked back. Its like Everton beating Liverpool, City beating United, GUFC beating Sligo means an awful lot. Cork,Drogs and Rovers next up bring it on

manofthemoment
24/08/2007, 9:32 PM
Ya great result . Admit i was a bit put out when Russell was replaced but then Cooke goes and gets the goal.

eamo1
24/08/2007, 10:52 PM
i was nervous with us holding the high line against their strikers but they did brilliantly.fitz,russ and robson were excellent.sligo have a couple of handy players but they didnt fight as much for the ball as we did.we are 9th now but bray have games in hand.

sligoman
25/08/2007, 12:16 AM
Terrible performance by both teams. Wesley Charles was your MOTM in my opinion.

KoemansCC
25/08/2007, 1:51 AM

It wasn't the game of sweet, sublime, total football that they are used to in Sligo!!!...but it was hardly a terrible performance by both teams...perhaps a 'terrible' performance by the traveling team (I don't think so), but we did see a home team low on confidence, without a home home win all season show that the have the balls and fight needed to stay in this division...

Wes man of the match?? a decent game yes, but man of the match no...personally I thought Robson was the MOTM with Fitzgerald a close second, O'Brien deserves a mention too...fair play to the RB that marked him, he kept him quiet all night...

Maroon 7
25/08/2007, 2:14 AM
Always good to beat Sligo. Especially with something to spare.

I'm obviously a jinx. First home game I've missed all season and we take 3 points.

KoemansCC
25/08/2007, 2:22 AM
I'm obviously a jinx. First home game I've missed all season and we take 3 points.

YOUR A JINX...I went to the Canaries for a week with Mrs Koemans and we beat Longford and Pats away fairly comfortably, or so I'm told...

Great result tonight though...

Gaillimh Al
25/08/2007, 6:38 AM
Thank God for that!!! Huge win considering how the other games went. As A.Hansen would put it, a performance full of grit and determination, spirit and commitment. Got lucky a couple of times with the few half chances they got, but our defense deserved their clean sheet.
For me, Fitzgerald was man of the match, absolutely immense. Get a long contract for him sorted now. Won countless headers against what is a quite big Sligo attack. Robson and O'Halloran were very good in the middle. It was refreshing to see two centre midfielders who didn't panic on the ball in certain situations and were able to play the simple, effective pass the majority of the time. Russell was good but didn't get enough of the ball, and match fitness will bring him on another bit as well. O'Brien was well held for the most part by his marker but got stuck in when needed. If only he could vary his dribbling a bit more, maybe pass or cross it a bit earlier once in a while.
Glynn tried hard, but needs to make a bit more effort to get out in front of his man occasionally and not always be looking for the ball over the top. That's where the 1st goal came from. He got out in front, was fouled and from a great delivery by Robson, Wes scores a bullet header. Why did Sligo not put a wall in front of the taker. A basic error that made it easy for him to put in a great cross.
Fair play to Dave Cooke for rifling one in. People were being a bit harsh on him and while he may not have being playing well, I don't think he's as bad as what was being made out. A great win and Tony will have some selection headaches if we can keep this level of commitment up and Reggie and Stephen O'Flynn come back into the fold.:D

TheLedge
25/08/2007, 8:22 AM
Fantastic.

What better way to get your first home win of the season than against the local rivals?

Superb stuff. Delighted.

Tir Oilean
25/08/2007, 10:02 AM

Ridiculous post. I know its a matter of opinion but you must be the only one who thought both teams were terrible. It wasnt Italian football by any means but it certainly was entertaining and a long way from terrible. As regards Wes your havin a laugh. He scored the goal yes but he was hardly MOTM playing out of position. It was a good performance from him but Robson and Fitzgerald were better. My MOTM is Fitzgerald he didnt miss a header all night

gilberto_eire
25/08/2007, 1:55 PM
the sligo fans who decided to come in the side gate after and start singing are lucky we have NO ELEMENT or else they would have got there heads kicked in!!,
going by the points totals all year the 4 points looks insourmountable but i hope we can drag bray into the mix aswell for good measure!!. looking forward to cork now especially after we threw that lead away against them!!

sligoman
25/08/2007, 1:57 PM
the sligo fans who decided to come in the side gate after and start singing are lucky we have NO ELEMENT or else they would have got there heads kicked in!!Something to be proud of!:rolleyes: As for no element, ye have about the same as us so stop with this saint Galway fans act.

Terry
25/08/2007, 1:58 PM
bray are in the mix of it. I always say its the points on the board that count and not the games in hand. Who are there games in hand against anyway? arent they against 2 of the teams that were in european competitions this year?

gilberto_eire
25/08/2007, 2:01 PM
Something to be proud of!:rolleyes: As for no element, ye have about the same as us so stop with this saint Galway fans act.

ya so if we done that in the showgrounds there wouldnt have been a spot of trouble?!:rolleyes:

i seem to remember a fan of ours not even been allowed back into the pub near the ground unless he wanted a pint bottle over his head!. who said anything about us been saints, but you wouldnt get away with doing that in the majority of LOI grounds bar the kilkennys and monaghans!!.

sligoman
25/08/2007, 2:10 PM
who said anything about us been saintYou quite clearly stated Galway had "NO ELEMENT", which would indicate ye are saints and never cause trouble.

gilberto_eire
25/08/2007, 2:17 PM
You quite clearly stated Galway had "NO ELEMENT", which would indicate ye are saints and never cause trouble.

well we dont!!. and dont try say that we ''caused trouble'' down there, with the 3 fans hopping on the pitch, if thats trouble to you then you wouldnt want go into town on a friday night!!.

the point i was making was, your fans that decided to come in and sing in our faces after are lucky were not trouble-makers cause if they done that in most other grounds they would have got battered back out the gate!!

sligoman
25/08/2007, 2:19 PM
We had this argument before and even you're own fans agreed ye are not perfect. Obviously you are just living in your own little world where everything is perfect. No point in trying to debate it with you so I'll leave it there.

KoemansCC
25/08/2007, 2:30 PM
We had this argument before and even you're own fans agreed ye are not perfect. Obviously you are just living in your own little world where everything is perfect. No point in trying to debate it with you so I'll leave it there.

Agreed, we don't want this thread descend into a slagging match like what happens here so often...:rolleyes:

KoemansCC
25/08/2007, 2:41 PM
Credit where credit is due, thought the ref was excellent last night :eek:, stamped his authority on the game early and took no ****e from either team...if we only had him when we played Waterford...

Tribesman
25/08/2007, 3:52 PM
Fair play to Daryl Robson. He summed up his performance by showing a clinched fist to the packed new stand when he was substituted.

;)Great to see a player wearing the jersey with pride and the crowd really appreciated his fighting spirit.

corbyeire
26/08/2007, 2:22 PM
Fair play to Daryl Robson. He summed up his performance by showing a clinched fist to the packed new stand when he was substituted.

;)Great to see a player wearing the jersey with pride and the crowd really appreciated his fighting spirit.

totally agree - saw that clenched fist and he was celebrating the first goal with arms in the air facing the crowd - great to see a player so up for it

gufcfan
26/08/2007, 3:08 PM
Credit where credit is due, thought the ref was excellent last night :eek:, stamped his authority on the game early and took no ****e from either team...if we only had him when we played Waterford...

Well said

Paddyfield
26/08/2007, 7:18 PM
....Obviously you are just living in your own little world where everything is perfect.....

We all live in a Terry Terry Land :)

MyTown
27/08/2007, 10:07 AM
Fitzgerald was brilliant for the third game on the trot. Raf got past him once after 25 minutes or so but Gary dealt with the shot very well.

In last the three outings, he has dealt with Conor Sammon, Eamon Zayed and had Matthew Judge substituted. I think he’s added an awful lot to this team.

Greg O’Halloran did really well in those three games too, despite occupying a few different roles. Lester and Robson have been brilliant in that spell also.

Reading over the threads for both clubs, most supporters saw it for what it was.

gufct
27/08/2007, 10:10 AM
I said last week we would win if every one was up for it and boy were we.Great support from the section a brigade best all season and getting behind the lads works rather than concentrating on slagging off the away team and fans.

Sligo supporters make me laugh with all the excuses they come up with.It was a good tough game and the better team won end of story.

Thought our back five were excellent and our two centre mids bossed the entire game and Derek had his best game ever in Maroon despite being marked by the best prospect in the el.

Our next four games are very tough but if we come out of them with more than 6 points I think we will be ok.

Claret Murph
27/08/2007, 12:02 PM
I know it's been a few days now since the game but I had a fantastic weekend on the back of the result and one other thing well done to GUFCT who called it right for 4 points from the last two games . i will keep an eye out for 6 points from the next 4 games .

Tir Oilean
27/08/2007, 2:11 PM
Support was excellent alright gufct but I have to correct you on section A. There are now the C section Brigade since the opening of the new stand! :-)

GuisaSaigon
27/08/2007, 2:19 PM
We are C- section and Micheal D is trying to get us to go into Labour :D

Paddyfield
27/08/2007, 7:05 PM

The only way you will go into Labour is if you get pregant

corbyeire
27/08/2007, 10:51 PM

was he still sitting in his usual spot then? - fair play to him!

Tir Oilean
27/08/2007, 11:04 PM
Cookes goal was a brilliant one. We got featured twice on EL weekly this week! Murphs lob was a goog un but Connor should be shot for those two gaffs in the last few minutes of the game! The Galway boys mustve been right beside the microphone with the roar that went up for the two goals at Drogs!

exiled_gufc_fan
28/08/2007, 1:03 PM
Twas not the first time we ended a bad streak against Sligo.

Back on 16 March 1996 we ended our all time record number of consecutive defeats with a win away to Sligo.

And in 2007 - we've ended a run of no home wins against them too :D

Paddyfield
28/08/2007, 10:05 PM
Match report from the Shligo Weekender
www.sligoweekender.com

Soccer: Terryland loss caps a poor week for the Bit O’Red
By: Keith O’Dwyer Terryland Park

FAI eircom League of Ireland Premier Division
Galway United 2 Sligo Rovers 0

SLIGO Rovers’ week of woe was compounded last Friday night in Terryland Park as, following on from their FAI Cup exit against Waterford United, they were beaten 2-0 by Galway United.
This loss ended their recent unbeaten run in the FAI eircom League of Ireland Premier Division. In the process, Galway United also recorded their first home win of the season and Sligo Rovers dropped from fourth to fifth in the Premier Division standings.

Sligo Rovers showed only one change from replay against Waterford United with James Meredith making his debut in place of the suspended left-back Daniel Ventre.

The home side started well and created the game’s first chance in the third minute when Daryl Robson sent in a corner from the left which was allowed bounce in the Sligo Rovers penalty area but John Fitzgerald headed over.

Two minutes later Sligo Rovers created their first chance with a good move on the left. Conor O’Grady passed to Fahrudin Kudozovic who played the ball into Adam Hughes and he laid it off for Matthew Judge whose side-foot effort went over.

Another Daryl Robson corner - this time from the right - led to a chance for Alan Murphy but his dipping half-volley landed on the roof of the net.

Former Galway United player Rafael Cretaro then had a chance for Sligo Rovers in the 25th minute as he nicked the ball off the toe of John Fitzgerald inside the home side’s penalty area but his resulting shot was saved by the Galway United goalkeeper, Gary Rogers.

Galway United then had their best chance of the first-half. John Russell’s 41st minute cross from the right picked out Alan Murphy, whose close range header was kept out by a great full stretch stop from Richard Brush.

A minute later Rafael Cretaro had another opportunity as he cut in from the right - but again his goal attempt was saved by Rogers. Just before the half-time break Robson had a pop at goal but his long-range strike was tipped over by Brush.

Four minutes into the second-half Galway United took the lead. From a free-kick won on the right flank, Daryl Robson sent the ball into the heart of the Sligo Rovers penalty area where Wesley Charles, the former Sligo Rovers centre-back, was on hand to head in off the underside of the crossbar.

Sligo Rovers manager Paul Cook made a double change soon after with Matthew Gordon and Brian Cash replacing Rafael Cretaro and Matthew Judge.

The visitors then enjoyed their best spell of the game and had a chance to get back on level terms in the 58th minute when they won a corner on the right.

Kudozovic swung it in but both Gavin Peers and O’Grady had efforts blocked by the defence and the ball was cleared.

Four minutes later they had another good chance as substitute Matthew Gordon knocked the ball down to Adam Hughes, who made a trademark run into the penalty area, but the ball just over-ran his reach and went out of play.

Galway United then effectively secured the win when they got their second in the 70th minute. Gavin Peers was dispossessed by Derek Glynn who played the ball across to David Cooke. He then sent a low shot past Brush and inside the post.

Sligo Rovers made their final change soon after with Keith Foy coming on for Meredith. Two minutes into stoppage-time Sligo Rovers had a chance to pull a goal back.

Leading scorer Fahrudin Kuduzovic played a one-two inside the penalty area with Brian Cash but then directed a low shot into the side-netting.

Player of the Match: Daryl Robson

Galway United: Gary Rogers, Alan Keane, Wesley Charles, Greg O’Halloran, John Fitzgerald, John Lester, John Russell (David Cooke 64), Derek Glynn (Vinny Faherty 73), Daryl Robson (Ciaran Robson 84), Alan Murphy, Derek O’Brien

Subs not used: S Fagan, A Gough

Sligo Rovers: Richard Brush, Seamus Coleman, James Meredith (Keith Foy 73), Gavin Peers, Jamie McKenzie, Conor O’Grady, Rafael Cretaro (Brian Cash 51), Adam Hughes, Matthew Judge (Matthew Gordon 51), Fahrudin Kudozovic, Mark Boyd

Subs not used: Stephen Manson, Gary Curran

Referee: Anthony Buttimer (Dublin) Attendance: 2,059

gilberto_eire
29/08/2007, 12:31 PM
was good for ''ciaran robson'' to make an appearance :D

GuisaSaigon
29/08/2007, 12:36 PM
was good for ''ciaran robson'' to make an appearance :D
I thought he did well , when he came on:rolleyes:

Tir Oilean
29/08/2007, 1:32 PM
I thought he did well , when he came on:rolleyes:

Shur only for Daryl Robson he (Ciaran Robson) would have been MOTM!:D

MyTown
29/08/2007, 1:55 PM
All credit to the lad from the Weekender it was a very balanced report of the match IMO.