PDA

View Full Version : Mestalla to be replaced

Risteard
23/08/2007, 6:32 PM
This is old hat i think but only found out now.
They're moving in to the ah8vyRhv9IANou Mestalla in 2009.
It looks awful.
Sick of these new generic stadia.
The Mestalla always looked to me like a great intimidating venue on the telly so I'll have to get there before they move shop.

Valencia Hoop
23/08/2007, 6:48 PM
Yes indeed, Mestalla's days are numbered. The club expect to be playing in the new ground in 24 months and I am most upset. The decision was made a couple of years ago and true to form no-one in Valencia raised a peep, taken in by shiny new ground and 20,000 new seats (that we don't really need). The location could be worse, the council did a deal with them, Real Madrid style but the ground is just the usual boring bowl. Mestalla is a fantastic ground with the fans right on top of the action, all new grounds seem to leave about five yards from the stands to the touchline. I don't want to go on right now, ****es me off so much.

4tothefloor
23/08/2007, 8:46 PM
looks pretty impressive to me

sligoman
24/08/2007, 12:33 AM
Mestalla is class in the sense that it has a real old feel to it. But I suppose every club wants the best possible stadium and this new one looks class in a completely different kind of way.

V Hoop, what are the plans for Mestalla when Valencia move? Apartments or something:(

Risteard
24/08/2007, 1:03 AM
looks pretty impressive to me
The Stade de France impressed me hugely when i first saw it, the Allianz Arena kind of copied the idea and Wembley was just plagiarism.
I've grown to despise the practice of one roof with a single circular stand.
Other culpits (not as bad), Millenium Stadium, Hampden Park, Amsterdam Arena, Allianz Arena and maybe Berlins Olympic stadium renovation.
The Emirates Stadium doesn't totally conform to that model but is to all intensive:p;) purposes, rotten and soulless.

seand
24/08/2007, 8:09 AM
I find these generic new stadia depressing. I was at the World Cup and found the Allianz Arena (Munich) and Olympiastadion (Berlin) underwhelming. Yep, you've got 80,000 seats and 90,000 McDonalds outlets but its all a bit soulless. Schalke's ground in Gelsenkirchen is new, but was designed not to be a uniform bowl and packs 60,000 in close to the pitch. Stuttgart and Dortmund both keep the crowd close to the action without being boring uniform bowls.

It would be hard to convince a football fan thats the Emirates is an improvement on Highbury, or that Stade Francais is a patch on the awesome Parc de Princes.

jockser
24/08/2007, 1:24 PM
aye but the new Anfield will be the bogs ballix :)

Risteard
24/08/2007, 1:32 PM
Ya, definitely different but they haven't really shown the interior yet have they?

Dodge
24/08/2007, 1:41 PM
aye but the new Anfield will be the bogs ballix :)

Hideous looking IMO

jockser
24/08/2007, 1:41 PM
there is a new video "tour" of it out now....you see a little of the inside but not much of it alright

Plastic Paddy
24/08/2007, 7:08 PM
The Stade de France impressed me hugely when i first saw it, the Allianz Arena kind of copied the idea and Wembley was just plagiarism.
I've grown to despise the practice of one roof with a single circular stand.
Other culpits (not as bad), Millenium Stadium, Hampden Park, Amsterdam Arena, Allianz Arena and maybe Berlins Olympic stadium renovation.
The Emirates Stadium doesn't totally conform to that model but is to all intensive purposes, rotten and soulless.

Hampden Park is awful. More atmosphere in my local boneyard. I generally dislike the modern-day stadia although I must say that Liverpool's new designs for Anfield do float my boat and I always enjoy visiting the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. The rest of these new stadia either leave or appear to leave something to be desired, although I am looking forward to finally seeing the new Lansdowne in the "flesh". :)

:ball: PP

DmanDmythDledge
25/08/2007, 12:02 AM
I think all these stadiums look class but take away the matchday experience which is the most important thing for a fan.

Jaime
29/08/2007, 12:44 PM
Will have to try to get to the Mestalla at some stage as well. Athletic Bilbao have plans to build a new ground as well, not sure if the design has been finalised yet though. Most of these clubs don't seem to be able to evidence the demand for extra seats though. :confused:

Valencia Hoop
29/08/2007, 1:22 PM
The new grounds are all "impressive" but they have no character or style or intimacy.

Valencia's move is as much to do with making money (to pay off the huge debt that the prodigal owners have built up) as to accommodate new socios.

Risteard
29/08/2007, 1:23 PM
I'd say the Parc Des Princes looks like it might be an exception to my comments above but I haven't actually been inside it.

Jaime
30/08/2007, 1:52 PM
I'd say the Parc Des Princes looks like it might be an exception to my comments above but I haven't actually been inside it.

Never been myself but from what I've seen of it it's quite run down and certainly not in any way modern looking. It has a bit of character though, which as has been said, goes a long way.

Saint Tom
30/08/2007, 9:21 PM
agree with a lot thats been said above. I was at the France v Italy Euro qualifier at the stade de france a few days after we played in stuttgart and despite sitting in the "away" section with 500 " hardcore fans of the world champions" it was lame, pathetic crowd from italy considering they had just won the world cup and were playing against the team they played in the final and the best that the french could come up with was a mexican wave after they went three-one up..

Stevo Da Gull
02/09/2007, 12:23 PM
Sad news IMO, One of my favourite stadiums. The atmosphere in la liga aint allways great but the Mestalla can be quite a cauldron of noise. They will gain an extra 22000 seats but lose much more.

DaveyCakes
03/09/2007, 12:07 PM
agree with a lot thats been said above. I was at the France v Italy Euro qualifier at the stade de france a few days after we played in stuttgart and despite sitting in the "away" section with 500 " hardcore fans of the world champions" it was lame, pathetic crowd from italy considering they had just won the world cup and were playing against the team they played in the final and the best that the french could come up with was a mexican wave after they went three-one up..

I thought there was a decent enough atmosphere at that game. I was at the far end from you! Cracking football on the pitch, so I didn't particularly care about the atmosphere anyway.

Over the post
04/09/2007, 4:35 PM
Atlético Madrid are also moving to a half-built olympic stadium on the outskirts of the city, like Espanyol did in Barcelona. The fans are understandably furious.

Espanyol have never filled the olympic stadium in Montjüic as far as I know and Valencia and Atlético will have similar trouble. It's all about property deals.

Risteard
19/09/2007, 2:37 PM
Architects appointed today for the Nou Camp re-styling. Capacity to increase by 10,000.

Dodge
19/09/2007, 3:07 PM
Architects appointed today for the Nou Camp re-styling. Capacity to increase by 10,000.

More importance went to what the architects could do behind the scenes and to the outside. Cost is €250 million

John83
19/09/2007, 3:50 PM
How? It's bloody huge already. And why? They only fill it for big games.

Dodge
19/09/2007, 4:01 PM
The majority of the new work is being done to the outside of the Nou Camp (extra bars, shops, vendors) and apparently a lot more of the ground will be under roof. Part of the tender process was that the "idea and shape" of the ground couldn't be changed.

I'd guess the extra 10,000 seats are so that it will top wembley to become Europe's biggest ground again

Risteard
19/09/2007, 10:22 PM
I'd guess the extra 10,000 seats are so that it will top wembley to become Europe's biggest ground again
Wembley only seats 90,000.

They obviously figured it'd be worth making another 6 or 700,000 euro out of each of the 6 or 7 games they sell out, say 4.5mill a year.

Risteard
24/09/2007, 1:34 AM
fNDdVjXGFYU
Unsure where this came from.

gustavo
28/09/2007, 7:02 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/460399/2/istockphoto_460399_doughnut_with_sprinkles.jpgmy first reaction to the nou camp Nou

Dodge
29/09/2007, 1:34 AM
Unsure where this came from.

They showed that to the crowd at the 50th anniversary celebrations before the Sevilla match.

All explained here. http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/english/club/nou_camp_nou/text1.html

Risteard
05/05/2008, 10:58 AM
The way Valencia are going, Wednesday could be their penultimate la liga game at the Mestalla.
2 points off the drop and a worse goal difference than all their fellow strugglers with games against Zaragoza and Atletico to come.

I'd be gutted as the brothers team are going there in September and getting very well looked after.

De Town
05/05/2008, 11:53 AM
The way Valencia are going, Wednesday could be their penultimate la liga game at the Mestalla.
2 points off the drop and a worse goal difference than all their fellow strugglers with games against Zaragoza and Atletico to come.

I'd be gutted as the brothers team are going there in September and getting very well looked after.

Isn't La Liga decided on head to head results though if teams are level on points?

Stevo Da Gull
05/05/2008, 2:25 PM
Isn't La Liga decided on head to head results though if teams are level on points?

Correct. And it's a much better system IMO

TheBoss
05/05/2008, 2:27 PM
I do not agree with that rule, a league is a head to head against all teams not one, it is unfair in that respect.

Stevo Da Gull
05/05/2008, 2:38 PM
I do not agree with that rule, a league is a head to head against all teams not one, it is unfair in that respect.

I just think that it is unfair if you are level on points with a team that you have beaten twice but they finish ahead of you perhaps because they have a prolific striker in their ranks and your team doesn't or because they played gretna after they self-destructed etc.

To me it just seem natural that if 2 teams are level the separating criteria goes:

1. Head to head
2. Goal difference
3. Goals scored (even though this is unfair on defensive teams)
4.... corner kicks :confused: :eek:

Question: Do away goals come into a head to head? Say for example you draw 1-1 at home and 2-2 away will your team be ahead (I wouldn't really like that now).

mypost
05/05/2008, 3:46 PM
Do away goals come into a head to head?

Yes.

Barcelona scored for fun last year, but Real beat them 5-3 on aggregate, and that was the only thing that mattered.

TheBoss
05/05/2008, 10:01 PM
Just spotted that there, away goals counting in a league, surely that is wrong.

gilberto_eire
05/05/2008, 11:29 PM
They showed that to the crowd at the 50th anniversary celebrations before the Sevilla match.

All explained here. http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/english/club/nou_camp_nou/text1.html

I don't get this, it sounds like there only upgrading there existing stadium right?..... just the wording ''new stadium'' points to a what the words state?:confused:

mypost
06/05/2008, 1:27 PM
Just spotted that there, away goals counting in a league, surely that is wrong.

It also counts in the CL. Hence why Liverpool needed to score 3 times against Olympiakos. A 2-1 win would have been a 2-2 aggregate, and Olympiakos would have qualified on that basis.