PDA

View Full Version : Doolo wants European spot

UCD_4_Life
09/04/2003, 6:12 PM
According to a quote in the PFAI mag.

"Having finished sixth last year, top four and Europe would be a real target."

Anybody think he might be a bit too optimistic? I don't think we're capable of cracking the top four to be honest. Bohs, Shels, Cork and Rovers all definitely have better squads.

For anyone who doesn't have the mag, it's actually quite good. They single out Alan Cawley as our "One to watch" and lavish praise on him saying "he has excellent vision and a great passer of the ball." Tony Mac is our "Main Man", apparently "he leads the team with flair and confidence."

Schumi
09/04/2003, 6:15 PM
I saw something from Robbie Griffin saying the same thing a few weeks ago. It probably is unrealistic but I'd rather hear a bit of ambition than have everyone say that they just want us to stay up.

pineapple stu
09/04/2003, 6:52 PM
What about our possible team, though?!

Jennings

Sullivan McAuley McDonnell Ryan (okay so far...)

Mahon Cawley J. Martin Griffin :confused: :confused:

R. Martin Finn

Good looking magazine, though.

UCD_4_Life
09/04/2003, 7:06 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
What about our possible team, though?!

Jennings

Sullivan McAuley McDonnell Ryan (okay so far...)

Mahon Cawley J. Martin Griffin :confused: :confused:

R. Martin Finn

Good looking magazine, though.

Yeah it's a bit queer alright. Griffin played on the left for Pat's I think.

Mahon on the right wing, though. He never playerd there did he?

fosterdollar
10/04/2003, 10:33 AM
hahahahahahahhahaha:D

@ndy
10/04/2003, 11:17 AM
Obviously you would like to improve on your last season and finishing sixth, we are only two places off a Euro spot. If we can compete comfortably this season i will be more than happy. I would hate to see us do well early on and nosedive second half. I'm looking forward to the season. We have a sound squad, if a little lacking in depth (however we are always dark horses with the scholarship system) and in my opinion, one of the three best managers in the league at present. I am optimistic and it is a nice position to be in for a set of fans, when you would be satisfied wih 8th in the league...anything else is a bonus. :) I think i'll put a tenner on us to win the cup ;)

As for our Longford friend there, Mr Magoo, he is obviously quite confused with himself which having finished just two points and one place higher than us this season and only managing to take 2 points from our three encounters as opposed to our 5, has him in a fit of uncomfortable laughter. There there Magoo, it'll be fine.

In fact, just for the record, i'd like to remind you that in the season previous to last, we finished two places above yourselves (8 points clear), which was a turnaround from finishing the same number of places below you in 2000/01 (only 5 points behind). The season previous to that we finished 10 places ahead of you, us finishing 4th in the premier, and you finishing 2nd in the first. Therefore, i ask you not to be so humoured by our thoughts for the coming season. He who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs on a Ucd message board at something quite realistic, is a foolish ltfc fan named magoo ;)

Andy.

fosterdollar
10/04/2003, 12:31 PM
see you on the Flansiro on the 31st May. Finals will be over then so i will be feeling extra anti-UCD (when i'll be signing on cos i'll never get a job just like youse gits!) ;)

@ndy
10/04/2003, 12:53 PM
;)

Nice wan...c u there. Should be a good day. Moving to cork that weekend, but we'll certainly be out for both games...stig vs one f et al!

techs
10/04/2003, 1:33 PM
Europe is a bit optimistic considerin the players you've lost. What about alan mcnally for your startin eleven?

pineapple stu
10/04/2003, 1:38 PM
Originally posted by techs
Europe is a bit optimistic considerin the players you've lost. What about alan mcnally for your startin eleven?

Hence the :confused: :confused: ...

He's a class player, but he's suspended for Bohs tomorrow after a disgraceful red card (from the ref, not Alan) in Drogheda.

@ndy
10/04/2003, 3:25 PM
This from the man who wasn't at the game ;), from what i remember it was pretty dumb of him (Alan not Kevin...lol), he'd been booked and i think he then got a straight red aswell. I haven't the clearest memory but i know i saw it on telly and didn't change my mind. Emmet had the best view, no doubt himself or schumi will put me right if im wrong. As for starting 11s...theres a good thread open on that in the forum..

Schumi
10/04/2003, 3:31 PM
Strangely enough, my view was quite similar to yours. :D Unfortunately my memory isn't as good and I can't remember what happened exactly although I think the first yellow was a bad decision and the red/second yellow was a fair enough yellow but not a red.

@ndy
10/04/2003, 3:35 PM
I think you might be confusing this with the fact that it ;) WAS NEVER A SENDING OFF REF ;) ;) ;) :). Emmet, i believe you have the casting vote...

pineapple stu
10/04/2003, 3:44 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
This from the man who wasn't at the game ;),

Sure I saw it on telly - didn't anybody tell you - there's an eL highlights show now...quite good too...:D

Aberdonian Stu
10/04/2003, 7:23 PM
From where I was standing it looked a straight red. It looked like he was deliberately elbowing yer man in the sallyer although it could well have been accidental, and apparently that's how the tv showed it.

From where the ref was he had to give a red, it would have appeared malicious from his position as well I reckon.

UCD_4_Life
10/04/2003, 8:20 PM
*Ahem*

I was at the game too you know.

The first yellow was for a clip on a Drogs player at the edge of their area. It wasn't done on purpose though and certainly wasn't deserving of a yellow, in my un-biased opinion of course.

The second yellow(it may have been a straight red, not sure) was when he we in for a low header and ended up headbutting Gary Cronin (I think). It was completely accidental and he was going for the ball so I think maybe it was a yellow but with a proper ref he wouldn't have been booked for the original offence.

If you know what I'm saying.

lefty
11/04/2003, 10:17 AM
I think 7th place is where UCD will finish this year. I dont think we will do well in the cup either. A 2nd Round exit is on the cards methinks but Ill wait and see the draw first. I dont like being pessimistic but Europe is out of the question. I dont however see us going down but it will be a dog fight for survival starting from tonight.

Schumi
11/04/2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
I was at the game too you know. Didn't know that as it happens. Why didn't you come over to us at some point? We were probably fairly conspicuous.

UCD_4_Life
11/04/2003, 4:15 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Didn't know that as it happens. Why didn't you come over to us at some point? We were probably fairly conspicuous.

Ah, you did though because I've probably comment on events that happened at the game in the past that I couldn't have gotten from watch eircom weekly. Or something like that.

On the other point, I don't know really. I should at some stage.