PDA

View Full Version : Cycling: Tour of Ireland and Mark Scanlon's retirement

Pauro 76
22/08/2007, 2:47 PM
http://rte.ie/sport/cycling/2007/0822/scanlon.html

Other factors? Wonder what they were.... Good to see the Tour of Ireland back again. Who's the main sponsor and any big guns in there?

sligoman
22/08/2007, 2:56 PM
http://rte.ie/sport/cycling/2007/0822/scanlon.html

Other factors? Wonder what they were....I'd guess being injury plagued, being **** in recent years and his girlfriend is pregnant so maybe wants to settle down for family reasons.

Dodge
22/08/2007, 3:07 PM
I'd guess being injury plagued, being **** in recent years
He was only **** due to the injuries. He effectively retired last year when he went part time in the US

You can watch the Tour live on www.rte.ie

Hopefully Philip Deignan will do well before he sets off to do the Vuelta D'Espana

Pauro 76
22/08/2007, 3:13 PM
He was only **** due to the injuries. He effectively retired last year when he went part time in the US

You can watch the Tour live on www.rte.ie

Hopefully Philip Deignan will do well before he sets off to do the Vuelta D'Espana

but only from Ireland though. :(

Risteard
22/08/2007, 9:18 PM
I thought Scanlon was only early twenties.
Any of the young Irish cyclists have much promise?

Dodge
22/08/2007, 11:48 PM
I thought Scanlon was only early twenties.
Been desparately unlucky with injuries. He'll be 27 in October

Any of the young Irish cyclists have much promise?
Nicholas Roche is Stephen's son. He rides with the protour Credit Agricol team and is tipped for good things

Philip Deignan is a good climber and is a genuine prospect IMO. He's with the protour Ag2r Prevoyance team after a couple of bad years with injuries has been selected for the Vuelta D'Espana next month.

Both have been allowed ride for the national side in the Tour Of Ireland

monutdfc
23/08/2007, 10:28 AM
Scanlon has been staunchly anti-doping throughout his career and said: 'When you see donkeys performing like racehorses and knowing they're drugged you realise it's all a waste of time.'
Great quote.