PDA

View Full Version : Anthems at Ravenhill on Friday

Pages : [1] 2

OwlsFan
22/08/2007, 8:59 AM
I assume GStQ and Ireland's Call plus the Italian anthem?

OneRedArmy
22/08/2007, 9:20 AM
I assume GStQ and Ireland's Call plus the Italian anthem?I remember reading that only Ireland's Call will be played (and obviously the Italian anthem).

The IRFU protocol is anthem of the state (usually Amhran na bhFiann) followed by team anthem (Ireland's Call). Suppose its all down to whether you consider GSTQ the anthem of Norn Ireland (as opposed to the UK).

I'd personally prefer Danny Boy but I don't think its worth getting worked up about.

Aberdonian Stu
22/08/2007, 9:27 AM
Just to go miles off topic but not controversially. I remember Danny Boy being sung brilliantly at the 1990 Commonwealth Games. McCullough won gold but they didn't have the song on tape so one of the trainers (I was told the guy's name a couple of years back but have forgotten) grabbed the mic and the whole place joined in. It was a beautiful moment.

shakermaker1982
22/08/2007, 10:07 AM
I went on the ulster rugby forum a while back when it was first announced that GSTQ would not be played and they weren't a happy bunch. It's the British national anthem though isn't it?

OneRedArmy
22/08/2007, 10:13 AM
I went on the ulster rugby forum a while back when it was first announced that GSTQ would not be played and they weren't a happy bunch. It's the British national anthem though isn't it?Its actually claimed to be the anthem of England, Great Britain and the United Kingdom.

Dodge
22/08/2007, 11:16 AM
Just to go miles off topic but not controversially. I remember Danny Boy being sung brilliantly at the 1990 Commonwealth Games. McCullough won gold but they didn't have the song on tape so one of the trainers (I was told the guy's name a couple of years back but have forgotten) grabbed the mic and the whole place joined in. It was a beautiful moment.
It was McCullough's dad I think. or maybe I'm thinking of Barry McGuigan's dad doing it before...

Anyway we've had this before. Officially (according to IRFU rules) they should play GSTQ instead of Amhrán na bhFiann. I doubt they will.

OwlsFan
22/08/2007, 11:23 AM
It was McCullough's dad I think. or maybe I'm thinking of Barry McGuigan's dad doing it before...

Anyway we've had this before. Officially (according to IRFU rules) they should play GSTQ instead of Amhrán na bhFiann. I doubt they will.

Would seem strange to see an Irish rugby team standing to attention for their "home anthem", GStQ. But then Unionists probably find it stange to see their Norn Iron players in the team standing for Amhrán na bhFiann in Dublin. Was just wondering what the protocol will be.

shakermaker1982
22/08/2007, 11:26 AM
they should just play a song from Ash or Snow Patrols set and keep everyone happy!

Dodge
22/08/2007, 11:29 AM
they should just play a song from... Snow Patrols set and keep everyone happy!

I'll destroy the IRFU's offices if they get Snow Patrol to do an anthem. And anybody who gets in my way...

Soko
22/08/2007, 11:54 AM
No GSTQ, an IRFU request. Any resistance to that and Belfast would never see another Irish team for decades

Jerry The Saint
22/08/2007, 12:13 PM
they should just play a song from Ash or Snow Patrols set and keep everyone happy!

They should play Teenage Kicks.

OneRedArmy
22/08/2007, 12:23 PM
No GSTQ, an IRFU request. Any resistance to that and Belfast would never see another Irish team for decadesWonderful equality by the IRFU. Can't even follow its own protocol.

paul_oshea
22/08/2007, 12:38 PM
Wonderful equality by the IRFU. Can't even follow its own protocol.

I have to say I could understand the distaste felt by our northern brothers, but I still think they should have their own anthem, that way that could get played and no messin.

First
22/08/2007, 12:45 PM
I'll destroy the IRFU's offices if they get Snow Patrol to do an anthem. And anybody who gets in my way...

I'm with you Dodge....bettter they play Sunday Bloody Sunday that should set the cat among the pigeons:rolleyes:

Dodge
22/08/2007, 1:07 PM
I'm with you Dodge....bettter they play Sunday Bloody Sunday that should set the cat among the pigeons:rolleyes:

No ****ing U2 either.

First
22/08/2007, 1:33 PM
No ****ing U2 either.

The Sex Pistols version of GSTQ so .

Aberdonian Stu
22/08/2007, 1:36 PM

It wasn't his Dad. It was actually McGuigan who told me the right name when I interviewed him a few years back.

paul_oshea
22/08/2007, 1:39 PM
The Sex Pistols version of GSTQ so .

No, Megadeths version is way better.

It was actually McGuigan who told me the right name when I interviewed him a few years back.

Did he get your autograph too?

OneRedArmy
22/08/2007, 1:39 PM
It wasn't his Dad. It was actually McGuigan who told me the right name when I interviewed him a few years back.Was he not a Norn Ireland emigrant who was in the crowd?

Dodge
22/08/2007, 2:28 PM
It wasn't his Dad. It was actually McGuigan who told me the right name when I interviewed him a few years back.

Did McGuigan's dad sing it when he won something?

Anyway, like you said great moment...

Aberdonian Stu
22/08/2007, 2:57 PM
Did he get your autograph too?

No, I'm sure he regrets it now :D

It wasn't a bloke in the crowd as McGuigan told me it was a trainer of some sort with the NI boxing team. He mentioned the name but like I said I've forgotten.

As for McGuigan's Dad singing, well he used to sing at his fights and got fourth for Ireland in the Eurovision once.

joeSoap
23/08/2007, 9:14 AM
From the BBC Website

At the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton, Irish boxer Barry McGuigan, who won the bantamweight gold medal, was moved to tears when one of the officials, who happened to be Irish, sang 'Danny Boy' in lieu of the Irish national anthem, which they weren't able to play for technical reasons. This apparently endeared the song to both McGuigan and his fans, and for the rest of McGuigan's career, his father Pat would sing the song as a preamble to his matches. McGuigan went on to become the World Boxing Association Champion in 1985, the formalities concluded by his father once again singing 'Danny Boy'.

Aberdonian Stu
23/08/2007, 10:06 AM
Hmm I didn't know that happened then as well. I'm certain it also happened with McCullough though, not least because (a) I wasn't alive in 1978 and recall seeing it in 1990 and (b) McGuigan told me the right bloody answer.

Dodge
23/08/2007, 10:12 AM
It definitely did happen with McCullough

joeSoap
23/08/2007, 10:25 AM
On a q&a session on McCulloughs website; pocketrocketbox.com;

On 16 Aug at 03:37 david ogilvie from wanganui, New Zealand asked Wayne:

Wayne: Do you remember the little guy who sang Danny Boy during your gold medal ceremony at the Comm games in Auckland in 1990? I''ve just talked to him in my capacity as sports editor of the Wanganui Chronicle newspaper. His name is Bob Gibson and he''s just been named to judge an IBF title fight in Sydney next week. David Ogilvie

Waynes Reply:

Hi David, Bob and I are in touch regularly and he just told me about getting the title fight. I think it's great. Wayne

pete
23/08/2007, 11:33 AM
Scotland & Wales have their own Anthems. How come NI use the Anthem or England & the Britain? Surely of all "provinces" NI should have its own anthem?

:confused:

joeSoap
23/08/2007, 11:49 AM
The Scots and the Welsh always wanted their own identity. The rugby playing (predominately Unionist) boys in the North have always wanted to be English so they will always want GSTQ as their anthem.

Torn-Ado
23/08/2007, 6:06 PM
GSTQ should not be played for an Irish team anywhere be it in the Protestant heartland of the North or in the Republic. Ulster is not exclusively British by any means eventhough their Rugby players are predominantly unionist.

We have a national anthem to cater for an all Ireland rugby team and thats Irelands call and thats more than enough.

Aberdonian Stu
23/08/2007, 6:31 PM
Ok lads seriously lets stop this before the thread gets locked.

joeSoap
24/08/2007, 8:29 AM
Well, it is a thread about National Anthems at tonights rugby in Ravenhill. If everybody stays objective, then there should be no reason to lock the thread.

Dassa
24/08/2007, 2:37 PM
GSTQ should not be played for an Irish team anywhere be it in the Protestant heartland of the North or in the Republic. Ulster is not exclusively British by any means eventhough their Rugby players are predominantly unionist.

We have a national anthem to cater for an all Ireland rugby team and thats Irelands call and thats more than enough.

The island of Ireland isnt exclusively nationalist either, That doesnt stop the soldier song being played at Ireland games in Dublin. I feel really disapointed by the IRFU and hope that the soldier song and tricolour will now be removed from games in dublin.

paul_oshea
24/08/2007, 2:42 PM
The island of Ireland isnt exclusively nationalist either, That doesnt stop the soldier song being played at Ireland games in Dublin. I feel really disapointed by the IRFU and hope that the soldier song and tricolour will now be removed from games in dublin.

Why not have all flags Dassa is that not fair? I think Danny BOy would have been the smart option, make nothing of it dont say either way and then just play it on the night.

Dassa
24/08/2007, 2:46 PM
Why not have no flags or anthems full stop. we are two countries coming together as 1 team. There is no way flags or anthems are going to help, so why not remove them entirely and let sport do the the talking.

NI fans of Ireland who have travelled for years to Dublin and stood under that flag and anthem have been treated very badly by the rugby association and for many it leaves a bad taste.

paul_oshea
24/08/2007, 2:48 PM
Why not have no flags or anthems full stop. we are two countries coming together as 1 team. There is no way flags or anthems are going to help, so why not remove them entirely and let sport do the the talking.

Can we rather call it "association" as are under the IRFU.

Dodge
24/08/2007, 3:05 PM
Why not have no flags or anthems full stop. we are two countries coming together as 1 team

I though it was one country and a part of another country ;)

OneRedArmy
24/08/2007, 3:23 PM
Can we rather call it "association" as are under the IRFU.Irrelevant point Paul.

Remember the association pre-dated partition.

paul_oshea
24/08/2007, 3:31 PM
Irrelevant point Paul.

Remember the association pre-dated partition.

Yes exactly, so we are playing for the IRFU, that is the governing association. I personally dont like the term two separate countries being used, it gives me the willies, we aren't polynesian or make up of fijians, tongans and samoans ( pacific islanders ) etc, we are on one island representing one association called the IRFU.

Soko
24/08/2007, 6:16 PM

NI fans of Ireland who have travelled for years to Dublin and stood under that flag and anthem have been treated very badly by the rugby association and for many it leaves a bad taste.

The IRFU don't care about you, they pander to a different crowd

OneRedArmy
24/08/2007, 7:35 PM

NI fans of Ireland who have travelled for years to Dublin and stood under that flag and anthem have been treated very badly by the rugby association and for many it leaves a bad taste.Most of the Protestants I know from the North who regularly attend Ireland games wouldn't want GSTQ played for Ireland.

But agree that flags and anthems are divisive.

OwlsFan
31/08/2007, 10:19 AM
What did they play in the end by the way? Didn't see the game?

I am inclined to agree with Dassa. Since the rugby team represents the island of Ireland and plays under the cross border Association, they should do away with the Soldiers' Song for home games and stick to Ireland's Call. They don't play both GstQ and the home anthems in Scotland or Wales.

Three anthems before a game from a practical point of view anyway is a bit stupid and when the President is presented to the team, there are 4 songs with the addition of the Presidential Salute!!

NeilMcD
31/08/2007, 11:14 AM
All Kind of Everything by Dana

OwlsFan
31/08/2007, 4:02 PM
All Kind of Everything by Dana

:D A rousing song if ever there was one!

dcfcsteve
02/09/2007, 1:23 AM
The Scots and the Welsh always wanted their own identity. The rugby playing (predominately Unionist) boys in the North have always wanted to be English so they will always want GSTQ as their anthem.

The Northern Unionists don't want to be English ya dingbat - they want to be British/Northern Irish..... :o

Hence they use the British anthem.

dcfcsteve
02/09/2007, 1:25 AM

Nor does it stop GSTQ being played at Northern Ireland football games either. So doubtless you'd like to see that stop as well.....

dcfcsteve
02/09/2007, 1:29 AM
Three anthems before a game from a practical point of view anyway is a bit stupid and when the President is presented to the team, there are 4 songs with the addition of the Presidential Salute!!

The Presidential salute is just a pre-amble to Amhran na bhFiann. It is sometimes played by accident at football international away games, when the host nation get their hands on the wrong music.

It just makes the anthem longer - it doesn't add a 4th song...

monutdfc
02/09/2007, 8:17 AM
The Presidential salute is just a pre-amble to Amhran na bhFiann. It is sometimes played by accident at football international away games, when the host nation get their hands on the wrong music.

It just makes the anthem longer - it doesn't add a 4th song...
The Presidential Salute is a brief snippet of the familiar part of A na F.
What I think you are referring to is the 'full' version of A na F which includes that unfamilar prelude.

dcfcsteve
02/09/2007, 3:31 PM
The Presidential Salute is a brief snippet of the familiar part of A na F.
What I think you are referring to is the 'full' version of A na F which includes that unfamilar prelude.

Trust me - I'm thinking of the Presidential salute. As in what they play when the President is in attendance.

:)

Dodge
02/09/2007, 4:53 PM
Trust me - I'm thinking of the Presidential salute. As in what they play when the President is in attendance.

They play the full anthem when she's there too...

OwlsFan
04/09/2007, 3:15 PM
Exactly. At rugby games when Mary is in attendance, the fans have to stand up for:

(a) The Presidential salute

(b) The away anthem

(c) The home anthem and

(d) Ireland's Call.

Stuff and nonsense.

Could be worse I suppose and have to watch the players parading around the pitch following a load of boys playing some diddy iddly music ;) followed by a gut renching speech at the end of the game with the local bishops hovering in the background.

bennocelt
04/09/2007, 9:12 PM
Could be worse I suppose and have to watch the players parading around the pitch following a load of boys playing some diddy iddly music ;) followed by a gut renching speech at the end of the game with the local bishops hovering in the background.

to be honest i would much prefer that than the dreadful Irelands Call, silly song

dont know why they just dont play GSTQ and get it over with;)