PDA

View Full Version : Is it sacrilege to question Paul Cook's tactics?

avvenalaf
21/08/2007, 11:39 PM
Afraid tonight raised some questions for me. Firstly, where did he get the notion that you can get away with a right footed player playing at left back and what is the problem with Foyzer. I have seen Foy fat and thin (well, less fat) and I can state with conviction that neither of the two balls which caused the Waterford goals would have got into th e box if he were playing. Secondly, why did he leave Raf on the field so long when he was quite clearly having an absolute mare and was more of a danger to his own team than to Waterford. Events showed that if Brian cash was on long enough, he could have won it for us.
Fair play to waterford - they hung in there and although we should have been out of sight when they scored their second gaol, we weren't and that's that. In Mark kavanagh they had the best player on the field by a country mile.
No harm to the lads - they left it all out on the field and penos are lotto anyway.
It could be worse - it could have been Bohs.

sligoman
21/08/2007, 11:44 PM
In Mark kavanagh they had the best player on the field by a country mile.You didn't notice O'Grady then?:confused:

As for Foy, Cook has a personal problem with him but I agree he should be starting. Put it aside Cookie and play him, we need him!

Red&White Rover
21/08/2007, 11:47 PM
You didn't notice O'Grady then?:confused:

As for Foy, Cook has a personal problem with him but I agree he should be starting. Put it aside Cookie and play him, we need him!

AFAIK there great mates?

sligoman
21/08/2007, 11:50 PM
AFAIK there great mates?Not what I heard

Red4Eva
21/08/2007, 11:53 PM
have to agree about ventre and foyzer. i don't like ventre as a player at all. he's prob a decent rb but he's all over the shop at lb.if only foyzer wud drop some weight we'd be sorted but i'd still start him v galway. his positioning, been left sided etc etc make up for the advantages of danny not being fat and then foyzer's deliveries fom set piece puts him way ahead of danny IMO. we never score from set pieces like we did last year&that's because we've no foyzer. i might be proved wrong but i'd like to see foyzer start a game

feo123
21/08/2007, 11:57 PM
even if there great mates, its a totally different thing on the pitch

sligoman
22/08/2007, 12:01 AM
Well Ventre is suspended for Friday so if he doesn't start Foyzer then their is something seriously wrong!

feo123
22/08/2007, 12:04 AM
he'll start Raff left back, cash on the right, thats it

avvenalaf
22/08/2007, 12:52 AM
Sligoman, I did notice Conor - he was outstanding but Kavanagh was carrying a full team on his back.

feo123
22/08/2007, 1:03 AM
Sligoman, I did notice Conor - he was outstanding but Kavanagh was carrying a full team on his back.

which fella was he? what number? 8?

roversforever
22/08/2007, 6:32 AM
he's not playing foyzer because he's making no effort to lose weight.he has no interest in putting in the extra bit of effort he needs to put in...i would start him if your going by who is our best left back but he has to show that he wants to play and earn his place in the team and at the minute he's not doing that.

Shedzer
22/08/2007, 7:41 AM
cant get on to the manager....luck didnt go our way
Ventre did ok, they tried very hard
The subs, Manson and Cash had an impact, beating their men and looking good

It was penos after all

Fivesilver
22/08/2007, 7:47 AM
we never score from set pieces like we did last year:confused::confused::confused:

Red4Eva
22/08/2007, 8:48 AM
:confused::confused::confused: i mean from corners and frees into the box not shots on goal from faz which he's absolutely brilliant at but his frees from wide areas are pretty poor.

gustavo
22/08/2007, 8:48 AM
he'll start Raff left back, cash on the right, thats it
Would he not play Meredith seeing as he will be eligible after so long

akearins
22/08/2007, 8:54 AM
Maybe a bit early in the morning but "The subs, Manson and Cash had an impact, beating their men and looking good

Yeah both had an impact.Cash's was positive but Manson's wasnt.
He played right in front of us in the blue stand for extra time and some of his play was atrocious.He passed the buck too many times pointing at areas for Ventre to mark instaed of going it himself, he didnt even mark his own man, left thrower unmarked and pulled out of tackles etc......

When he stood up for the peno the whole ground know he was going to miss .
Never like to be critical of our own players but lets call a spade a spade.He is simply not good enough.

As for questioning Cooke lets not get carried away.We could be up in the showgrounds still and we wouldnt score.I have never seen a game like it you sort of knew when we missed the extra time chances it wasn't going to be our day.Cookey has said we rode our luck in a lot of games and it simply ran out last night.Still in shock and many more miles of debate to get form last night.
So we move on and try and keep our league performance going.
It will be hard to pick the lads up but wallowing in it will not help us beat Galway on Friday.We played some good football last night, was a great game,great crowd and no reason why we cannot continue where we left off against Bray.Onward and upwards

showgies
22/08/2007, 9:20 AM
I don’t think we should be too critical of anyone last night. After a poor enough first half the game turned into a great entertaining cup tie witnessed by a large crowd.

Our luck certainly deserted us last night and after witnessing the types of chances we had last night, I sensed that it wasn’t going to be our night. Although, they gave us one glimmer of hope when we pulled the penalty shoot out back to 2 all.

In defence this season we have being at times unsteady and always likely to concede in most games. There seems very little composure and we seem happy to swipe at the ball just to get it out of the box. Strangely though, this season has seen the emergence of Coleman, a new defensive hero in Peers and a huge improvement in Jamie (although he has a bit to go to totally convince me). Left back is certainly our problem area, as is communication between Brushy and his defence. Will our new signings be the answer? Time will tell.

I don’t think we should feel too disappointed after last night’s entertainment. We are still in a good position in the league and Europe is a possibility. If you had offered that at the start of the season we would all have taken it. We have received quite a bit of good profile this season and Rovers are recognised as one of the most entertaining teams in the league, with players signed for next season that are coveted by so called “bigger clubs”.

Last night wasn’t our night, but the season may yet leave us smiling.

avvenalaf
22/08/2007, 10:53 AM
All the usual 'look forward' 'not our night' 'unlucky' sh ite being wheeled out when we are looking at a situation where we should have beaten Waterford off the field. The reality is that by playing a right footed player at full back we handed an area of the pitch to the opposition where they could hurt us. Did anyone not see the interview Gareth Cronin gave TV3 after we beat them down there when he was livid at the fact that his team did not carry out his instructions to target Ventre for that very reason.
The reality is we are out of a competition which we were second favourites to win - beaten at home by a side fighting relegation and if we don't admit why we were beaten then we will be beaten again. What's the point in getting onto Stephen Manson - he'a an easy taget and after all he was put on.
I don't want to put out major criticism when the season has gone so well from a disastrous opening but the coffee is brewing whenever you want to wake up, guys. Smell it.
Onwards and upwards by all means but with lessons learned.

red bellied
22/08/2007, 11:34 AM
There is no football played at the back. Its all simply get it the frig out of there as quickly as possibe. This leads to conceding possession and Waterford had a fair bit of it last night. I dont think McKenzie and Ventre have the ability to play it from here anyway so there is no proper balance. Hopefully these positions will be sorted for next season. Ventre is a liability at left full, not his natural position I know but even when attacking with the ball last night, he ended up going back to his own half and passing back to Brush.

sligoman
22/08/2007, 12:31 PM
The reality is we are out of a competition which we were second favourites to winDont know who we were 2nd favourites with? We were 5th favourites with any bookies I checked.

showgies
22/08/2007, 12:44 PM
All the usual 'look forward' 'not our night' 'unlucky' sh ite being wheeled out when we are looking at a situation where we should have beaten Waterford off the field. The reality is that by playing a right footed player at full back we handed an area of the pitch to the opposition where they could hurt us. Did anyone not see the interview Gareth Cronin gave TV3 after we beat them down there when he was livid at the fact that his team did not carry out his instructions to target Ventre for that very reason.
The reality is we are out of a competition which we were second favourites to win - beaten at home by a side fighting relegation and if we don't admit why we were beaten then we will be beaten again. What's the point in getting onto Stephen Manson - he'a an easy taget and after all he was put on.
I don't want to put out major criticism when the season has gone so well from a disastrous opening but the coffee is brewing whenever you want to wake up, guys. Smell it.

Ventre or Foy were the only likely candidates for the left back position, (Raf perhaps, but he too is right footed). In my opinion these candidates are not good enough. Hence, calling it a problem area. An area where Cook is aware there is a problem.

We had chances that should have been taken, shots cleared off the line and also hit the woodwork. You can call it unlucky or call it poor play. One of these chances fell to Brian Cash, who according to an earlier post “could have won it for us”.

We may have been playing a side fighting relegation, but there isn’t that much of a gap in the league to suggest that any game is a certainty. Waterford battled to earn the win, and in one-off games battling can and does often pay.

The reaction to last night seems far too critical to me. Rovers had a right good go, played some good stuff at times, failed to take chances, and eventually lost out to the lottery that is penalty kicks

Any spectators last night, visiting for the first time, despite the result, just may say to themselves, “that was a good, entertaining nights out, I’ll think I’ll come again”. That is just me taking a positive out of a disappointing result

avvenalaf
22/08/2007, 1:00 PM
Lose much, then, SM ??

Rovers fan
22/08/2007, 1:01 PM
Ventre or Foy were the only likely candidates for the left back position, (Raf perhaps, but he too is right footed). In my opinion these candidates are not good enough. Hence, calling it a problem area. An area where Cook is aware there is a problem.

we have just signed meredith who can play left back, hence it is no longer a problem area. it was clear to everybody that ventre was getting raped all night long and i would have taken him off ahead of raf. the two lads in the middle didnt have their best nights either, waterford looked a threat everytime they got near our box. peers obviously just had an off night but like others, i dont know why but im not yet convinvced about mckenzie

sligoman
22/08/2007, 1:13 PM
we have just signed meredith who can play left back, hence it is no longer a problem areaYa can't say it's not a problem area anymore when we've never saw Meredith playing yet. He could be crap for all we know but time will tell.

Rovers fan
22/08/2007, 2:08 PM
Ya can't say it's not a problem area anymore when we've never saw Meredith playing yet. He could be crap for all we know but time will tell.

we have signed somebody to rectify the problem. we have a recognised left back who isnt a fat b'sterd! Cook obviously feels he can do the job, otherwise he wouldnt have signed him

sligoman
22/08/2007, 2:09 PM
we have signed somebody to rectify the problem. we have a recognised left back who isnt a fat b'sterd! Cook obviously feels he can do the job, otherwise he wouldnt have signed himI've heard otherwise, like I said, time will tell.

Only1Rovers
22/08/2007, 2:34 PM
he's not playing foyzer because he's making no effort to lose weight.

Not Ture, according to Paul Cook

he has no interest in putting in the extra bit of effort he needs to put in...

Not Ture, according to Paul Cook

i would start him if your going by who is our best left back but he has to show that he wants to play and earn his place in the team and at the minute he's not doing that.

are you taking training sessions, how do you know what sort of effort Foy is putting in at training?

These are not statements, these are questions.

Shedzer
22/08/2007, 5:13 PM
dont turn into a negative bitching shower of fans over a lose on penalties...Let dust settle....

sligoman
22/08/2007, 5:14 PM
In fairness to Foy, he always seems to give 100% on the pitch in my opinion. Obviously we can't speak for what he's like in training as we're not there.

Shedzer
22/08/2007, 5:17 PM
iv heard he trains very hard

Its a disgrace that Rovers fans are using Manson as a scapegoat and making up a bebo page to 'get him out'. Hes not a bad lad, didnt mean to miss a peranlty and is obviously low in confidence...Give him and the rest a break

feo123
22/08/2007, 6:28 PM
there always has to be one player that rovers 'fans' give out about, no matter what he does. faz, choice (to a lesser extent) and now manson

biscuit
22/08/2007, 8:28 PM
again feo you go with this "fans" thing. you dont have the monopoly on being a fan, your not rovers only fan either. you have to realise, fans care more about the club than the majority of players can ever dream of. they will be there for ever for the club,not just a few years or even a career but forever.as i have said before, when you pay money to watch the team you love, the team that, if they lose , ur sick for a week, they win, your **** of the walk for a week, you have the right to criticise whoever you think isnt giving 100% to YOUR club. you feel the need to defend almost everything about the players, and by all means thats your perogotive, but dont be-little others just becasue they havnt got your patience.:ball:

Rovers fan
22/08/2007, 9:07 PM
again feo you go with this "fans" thing. you dont have the monopoly on being a fan, your not rovers only fan either. you have to realise, fans care more about the club than the majority of players can ever dream of. they will be there for ever for the club,not just a few years or even a career but forever.as i have said before, when you pay money to watch the team you love, the team that, if they lose , ur sick for a week, they win, your **** of the walk for a week, you have the right to criticise whoever you think isnt giving 100% to YOUR club. you feel the need to defend almost everything about the players, and by all means thats your perogotive, but dont be-little others just becasue they havnt got your patience.:ball:

very good post.

Shedzer
22/08/2007, 9:13 PM
good post, but do you think fans should roar abuse at players on the pitch like one did to Manson last night? Thats not exactly fair critisim, we all have our opinions, but no need to call a lad a 'gaylord' (for all fans and the player himself to hear) the minute he steps onto the pitch..

tell me thats right?

Midgit
22/08/2007, 9:17 PM
good post, but do you think fans should roar abuse at players on the pitch like one did to Manson last night? Thats not exactly fair critisim, we all have our opinions, but no need to call a lad a 'gaylord' (for all fans and the player himself to hear) the minute he steps onto the pitch..

tell me thats right?

Yes that is right.
But setting up a site to get rid of the lad is just idiotic.

biscuit
22/08/2007, 9:21 PM
well hopefully from my post you dont actually think that id say that!;)
to the contrary Id encourage,especially if I saw him really grabing things by the scruf of the nek!but usually i just want to grab HIM by the scruff of the neck and shake the fecker,let him know what it means to us and maybe he might realise! na but really, shouting derogatory names like gaylord etc is just plain stupid, and if i heard someone say it id tell him to shut his gob r get a "4 lights kiss;)". bt there is nothing wrong with a " come on to **** manson, get your arse in gear you lazy ...." i dont think so anyway.its what lads like him need!

SligoBrewer
22/08/2007, 9:22 PM
Yes that is right.

so your all for using derogatory terms towards our own players?
:rolleyes:

feo123
22/08/2007, 10:49 PM
Yes that is right.

funny how the minute we get onto midgit bou it, the site is deleted! suppose you'll tell me now that you didnt mail him on bebo abusing him aswell?:rolleyes:

Midgit
22/08/2007, 10:52 PM
funny how the minute we get onto midgit bou it, the site is deleted! suppose you'll tell me now that you didnt mail him on bebo abusing him aswell?:rolleyes:

Are you for real???
Coming from the same person who was telling me to say somthing to his face on bebo???
Abusing him??? Who told you that???

feo123
22/08/2007, 10:55 PM
what did you say?

Midgit
22/08/2007, 11:00 PM
What you told me to say. Stop talking behind his back like we are on here.
You were slate'n me for doing that, telling me to say it to his face, and i did now your slate'n me for that??? Cop it Feo......

I said: do you wonder why rovers fans get on your back.....jumping from 50/50 tackles and not giving 100% doesn't help. I told him he would really want to raise his game for them to stop critisicing him, or at least give it his all(100%)

feo123
22/08/2007, 11:07 PM
when he scored against bray who just sat back and didnt cheer for the goal? midgit! fact is, he played well when he came on last night...he was probably better than judge was for the 120 minutes, judge never goes into tackles either, does anyone shout abuse at him for it?

Patrick Dunne
22/08/2007, 11:09 PM
What a bunch of gaylords :p

kkontour
23/08/2007, 1:11 PM
.....judge never goes into tackles either, does anyone shout abuse at him for it?
I never want to see judge go into 50/50 tackles. With our lack of strikers to choose from if he gets injured we are in trouble.

Shedzer
23/08/2007, 5:05 PM
I never want to see judge go into 50/50 tackles. With our lack of strikers to choose from if he gets injured we are in trouble.

pulling out of tackles is how you get injured....half hearted attemps

kkontour
23/08/2007, 8:56 PM
pulling out of tackles is how you get injured....half hearted attemps
With judges skinny legs he would be advised to stay out of the tough tackles

Shiba
23/08/2007, 10:18 PM

Have to agree with Commments on Ventre hugly noticable that he not comfortable in that position

Gaillimh Al
25/08/2007, 7:08 AM
If that left-back from last night was the one you signed then I'd be worried lads. He was woeful bad, and then when Foy came on he started to put in a few great balls. I don't know how sound he is defensively but he is a great aseet from dead balls and the like.

Bravo
26/08/2007, 11:18 PM
Its gas too, a win on Saturday night against Derry & everyone will be dusting of the passports in anticipation of a trip to Europe next year, fickle aren’t we?
Fact is Galway & Waterford needed the last two results an awful lot more than we did & they got them, I prefer to see Galway take points off us rather than Waterford/UCD or Bray.
You have to look at the bigger picture when trying to justify the tactics been used, we are having a remarkable season given the lack of dept and versatility in our squad, I feel Cook has to try and evaluate players in other positions in order to determine if they can provide adequate cover in these areas, if he is serious about challenging for honors next season now is the time to do it, especially against teams like Galway.
You also have to consider the lack of motivation, we don’t have cover for many areas so how can ya be dropped if ya don’t play well or don’t give 100%? play with 10 men? In saying that I don’t think any player in a bit O red shirt this season can be criticized of that, there are certain players who don’t head or tackle probably cause their sh1te at it, others who can’t pass to save their lives, others who are of incapable of taking on and beating players its not that they are less committed there just different.