PDA

View Full Version : the word "job" when playing for your country

paul_oshea
21/08/2007, 4:09 PM
does this drive anyone mad? soccer parlance in general tends to drive me mad mainly because of its overuse, but the word "job" when it comes to country really ****es me off, it should never be called a "job" to play for your country.

Another one is "result" but its not completely relevant to this thread so i wont go into it too much."if we get a result" , unless the game is abondened for some or other reason there is going to be a result of some kind.... A result is a result regardless of anything else, a result can be a draw, a win or a loss, its still a draw.

dr_peepee
21/08/2007, 7:30 PM
You know what really grinds my gears... When a player scores and celebrates with the crowd first rather than his team mates, especially those scorers were the hard work was done by someone else. . Fergie made a comment about it years ago in terms of the nature of players today and it's something I can't stop noticing now, damn him.

GreenStar
22/08/2007, 7:19 AM
Fergie made a comment about it years ago

Who's Fergie???

CJTheGull
22/08/2007, 8:37 AM
She was the lead singer with The Black Eyed Peas and has continued on to have a relatively successful solo career singing bland, souless R+B for the masses.
:p

as_i_say
22/08/2007, 9:20 AM
i think the term result is fair enough. If you set out for a win at all costs, end up getting a draw and then other results go in your favour then erm, its a result.

paul_oshea
22/08/2007, 9:21 AM
no its NOT!

from dictionary.com:

"something that happens as a consequence; outcome." at the end of a match there is always an outcome i.e. a result!

however to qualify what you are saying above would be a good result i.e. a good outcome but not a "result"

as_i_say
22/08/2007, 9:28 AM
g'wan ourra that.

footballers when giving interviews like to use the term "result" because they are mostly thick but it makes them sound cryptic i reckon.

Powerfully nerdy of you to look it up in the dictionary though-kudos!

paul_oshea
22/08/2007, 9:30 AM
Powerfully nerdy of you to look it up in the dictionary though-kudos!

I am a nerd after all :D

footballers when giving interviews like to use the term "result" because they are mostly thick but it makes them sound cryptic i reckon.

see thats it, those two words used sum it up. But then when i heard michael lyster say it, I thought what a ****.

bellavistaman
22/08/2007, 9:31 AM
You know what really grinds my gears... When a player scores and celebrates with the crowd first rather than his team mates, especially those scorers were the hard work was done by someone else. . Fergie made a comment about it years ago in terms of the nature of players today and it's something I can't stop noticing now, damn him.

Our teacher always talks about that where a newcastle player ran the field layed it to shearer and shearer tapped it in, turned to the crowd pointing to the name on the back of his jersey. Tosser

paul_oshea
22/08/2007, 9:34 AM
Our teacher always talks about that where a newcastle player ran the field layed

your teacher must be one of those we were talking about above.

Plastic Paddy
22/08/2007, 9:44 AM

It's a classic case of conversational implicature - most people would be expected to understand that the use of "result" in such a context implies a positive outcome. Another such (non-football) example is when people refer to having "weather" when they actually mean unsettled or "bad" weather - we have weather the whole time of course.

I take your point though - I'm not sure that many footballers will be explicitly familiar with the concept of conversational implicature, never mind being able to spell it! :)

:ball: PP

superfrank
22/08/2007, 12:40 PM
You know what really grinds my gears... When a player scores and celebrates with the crowd first rather than his team mates, especially those scorers were the hard work was done by someone else.
At least Fabregas gave Clichy the credit for his goal in Prague. He didn't seem to want to celebrate it at all.

I agree with paul, the term "job" when playing for one's countryis terrible. Though if the FA's didn't pay them to play for their country maybe this wouldn't happen.

paul_oshea
24/08/2007, 9:11 AM
You know what really grinds my gears... When a player scores and celebrates with the crowd first rather than his team mates, especially those scorers were the hard work was done by someone else.

surely you want to saviour the moment with everyone( fellow countrymen and players ), if you run off to the player and then celebrate with him , how exactly can you then run off to the crowd and celebrate? The moment would be lost?!

i see you mean club football!!! sorry!

Giuly
24/08/2007, 10:27 PM
We don't have that kind of problem in France, everyone feels concerned:D

DmanDmythDledge
25/08/2007, 12:00 AM
I think it's brilliant when players do that. It's the only chance they get to celebate with the fans. I'm sure they appreciate their teammates work.

DaveyCakes
29/08/2007, 3:23 PM
It irritates me when managers go on about "my job is to get the best results for Leeds United Football Club"

We're perfectly aware of who your employer is and what business they're in!