PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

tetsujin1979
27/10/2009, 1:32 PM
Yep nice piece of skill alright. He needs to kick on this season and consistently produce - No reason why he couldnt be pushing for a squad place then.
Stokes started up front with Caleb Folan against Forest last year. After about a half hour, he was through on goal with only the keeper to beat, and shot wide. Folan had the same chance about 10 minutes later and scored. As well as that, he spurned several other chances and was eventually substituted for Shane Long. Folan went on to play against Poland, as well as Gibson, Long and Andrews who all impressed against Forest. Stokes was an unused substitute and since then has only been called into the squad VS Italy away as cover, and didn't make the bench. Since then he's returned to the squad for the U-21s.
Trapattoni has obviously had a look at him (possibly under Brady's recommendation) but didn't think he was up to it. Four goals in ten games is not a great return, despite the quality of the goal at the weekend. He'll need to continue his improvement since returning to Scotland to return to the senior squad.

Junior
27/10/2009, 3:33 PM
Stokes started up front with Caleb Folan against Forest last year. After about a half hour, he was through on goal with only the keeper to beat, and shot wide. Folan had the same chance about 10 minutes later and scored. As well as that, he spurned several other chances and was eventually substituted for Shane Long. Folan went on to play against Poland, as well as Gibson, Long and Andrews who all impressed against Forest. Stokes was an unused substitute and since then has only been called into the squad VS Italy away as cover, and didn't make the bench. Since then he's returned to the squad for the U-21s.
Trapattoni has obviously had a look at him (possibly under Brady's recommendation) but didn't think he was up to it. Four goals in ten games is not a great return, despite the quality of the goal at the weekend. He'll need to continue his improvement since returning to Scotland to return to the senior squad.

Exactly my point. Though 4 goals in 10 is not to be sniffed at. He would need to perform over the course of the season to warrant any squad place.

When would the next friendlies be - In February?

That would give everyone another 3-4 months of football to get noticed and like you say, Stokes is already on Traps radar.

Just to confirm I have seen very little of him - so Im not suggesting that he should/should not be in the squad now or in the future.

EastTerracer
19/12/2009, 2:49 PM
Stokesie scores again for Hibs today.

Junior
19/12/2009, 8:12 PM
Yep scored a brace. first was a well taken finish, second was a tap in from close range.

Thats 6 SPL goals and a LC goal this season. 16 league games gone so far not sure how many appearances hes had. If he can keep up this form till March, Id like to see him feature in the friendly squad around that time.

drummerboy
20/12/2009, 9:11 AM
He is still young enough to improve. Hopefully his attitude will improve as he matures.

johnboyle37
23/12/2009, 7:08 PM
here here. lets hope he ups the ante and knuckles down and has a great season and puts himself back on the radar. certainly has plenty of talent

SUB of the day
27/12/2009, 11:12 AM
Great goal from Stokes to give HIBS the lead V Rangers.Sky really built him up in pre-match.

pavillion.road
27/12/2009, 11:27 AM
Very well taken goal too. His first touch is very impressive. Good game this!

tetsujin1979
27/12/2009, 2:45 PM
fastest SPL goal ever according to Sky Sports

Colbert Report
27/12/2009, 3:11 PM
It should be noted that his team went on to get hammered 4-1.

Razors left peg
27/12/2009, 3:18 PM

what has that got to do with anything

Colbert Report
27/12/2009, 3:21 PM
Who cares if he scored a goal when his team lost four one? Poor player on a poor team.

Razors left peg
27/12/2009, 3:23 PM
Who cares if he scored a goal when his team lost four one? Poor player on a poor team.

you really are my least favorite poster on this forum

Colbert Report
27/12/2009, 3:28 PM
OK, thanks. Let's keep the discussion in this thread to Anthony Stokes.

Acornvilla
27/12/2009, 3:45 PM
is colbert the new emmet?

Colbert Report
27/12/2009, 3:53 PM
is colbert the new emmet?

You may refer to me as Mr. Report. Thank you.

DmanDmythDledge
27/12/2009, 4:25 PM
Stokes will score loads in spl proven. Also proven he no where near a prem league player or irish international player!!
And what sort of level is a squad player for us? Exactly that you'll find for his position.

Acornvilla
27/12/2009, 4:34 PM
stokes is certainly better than hunt or long thats for sure

Razors left peg
27/12/2009, 4:48 PM
I just think writing off any player at the age of 20 or 21 is ridiculous. Fair enough things didnt work out for him at Sunderland but maybe he has learned from that and sorted his attitude out. Not every player is like Rooney or Fabregas and is a world superstar in their teens

Shay Given was released by Celtic, Im sure if this forum was going then there would have be those saying that he will never be good enough if Celtic decided he was crap.Young players develop differently as they get older, they dont all develop at the same rate or age

MeathDrog
27/12/2009, 5:41 PM
Jeez you're on f*cking fire lately. :rolleyes:

SilkCut
27/12/2009, 11:10 PM
I just think writing off any player at the age of 20 or 21 is ridiculous. Fair enough things didnt work out for him at Sunderland but maybe he has learned from that and sorted his attitude out. Not every player is like Rooney or Fabregas and is a world superstar in their teens

Agreed, anyone writing Stokes off at this stage of his career is an idiot. He is 20 and clearly has bucket loads of talent. It seems to have been a case of too much too young for him at Sunderland. Who amongst us would not have gone a bit nuts at 18 if we were suddenly making 20 grand a week?? Rooney and Fabregas had great managers looking after them, Stokes had Keane, a rookie with poor man management skills.

4tothefloor
29/12/2009, 1:04 AM
Stokes is the best we have behind Doyle, Keane and Folan. Himself and Leon Best have the potential to be our permanent back up strikers (Folan hasn't much going for him apart from his height). At the moment he's certainly ahead of Hunt, Long, Sheridan and Mooney. He'll probably be free scoring in the SPL again, hopefully for a few seasons. All he can do after that is either sign for Celtic or move back to England, but he certainly cannot be written off yet! Just look at the likes of Kinsella, Andrews and Whelan who've all only prospered in the mid to late twenties.......

ifk101
29/12/2009, 10:24 AM
Stokes is the best we have behind Doyle, Keane and Folan. Himself and Leon Best have the potential to be our permanent back up strikers (Folan hasn't much going for him apart from his height). At the moment he's certainly ahead of Hunt, Long, Sheridan and Mooney. He'll probably be free scoring in the SPL again, hopefully for a few seasons. All he can do after that is either sign for Celtic or move back to England, but he certainly cannot be written off yet! Just look at the likes of Kinsella, Andrews and Whelan who've all only prospered in the mid to late twenties.......

I'd drop Folan in favour of Clinton Morrison who can do everything Folan does and can pitch in with a few goals here and there to boot. Long has gone backwards big-time this season and I don't think he merits inclusion in the senior squad at this point in time. Noel Hunt, Sheridan and Mooney are not good enough for international football.

Stokes is arguably the best finisher available to us but seems to need a free role to get the best out of him. We can't really afford to give him such luxury at international level but he's good enough to merit inclusion in the squad. Keane, Doyle, Morrison, Stokes and Best are the best striking options currently available to us IMO.

amaccann
29/12/2009, 1:26 PM
I suspect Stokes is one of those players who could really take off with the right manager behind him. If I recall correctly, Richard Dunne was a bit of a messer before Keegan (wasn't it?) knocked some sense into him & he blossomed into the legend he is now. I think the same is very possible with Stokes. A good manager could root out his messing. As for Ireland, he has a LOT more potential & more to offer than journeymen chancers like Folan.

Every time I see Folan come on the pitch I view it as a surrender of any positive tactics we were previously adopting. "Quick" it seems to say, "put on the physical, tall donkey, he might bounce a root-one goal off his thigh". At least Stokes offers a bit more nous

noddy102
29/12/2009, 2:13 PM
Let's not forget he's playing well and performing in an awful, AWFUL league, and unless he changes his attitude for good, he'll never make it on the big stage.

yapster
29/12/2009, 4:17 PM
Stokes remains a good prospect

twoenz
29/12/2009, 4:32 PM
I think that he's going to go on and be a very solid striker. When he burst through he was being lauded, and he struck me as someone who believed his own hype. He's had 18 months of having to fight to get back to the level that he was coasting at a while ago, and I'd say he's not particularly happy about it, so if he can take his current attitude and transfer it onto a bigger stage then he'll be an excellent option.

Although can I just temper this by pointing out that he's playing in the SPL. I've always known that it's a terrible league, but this really puts it into perspective:

The cover of their current sticker collection is this:

http://www.paninionline.com/uplImg/coll/001848.jpg

Featuring star players from Celtic, Hearts, Rangers and Dundee United. Look at the Dundee one and you'll see that it's Danny Cadamateri, who was the next big thing in the Premier League at the same time as Michael Owen broke through, and fell the whole way down the league pyramid before being snapped up by the Arabs.

elroy
29/12/2009, 7:08 PM
Let's not forget he's playing well and performing in an awful, AWFUL league, and unless he changes his attitude for good, he'll never make it on the big stage.

Agree, imo the SPL is not far ahead the LOI these days, Celtic and Rangers are nowhere near as strong as they were a few years back, look at their european results now!!

I think its a very much wait and see approach with Stokes, I thought he was in a fast downward spiraling joining the ranks of the likes of Sean Thornton but maybe not. Although he didnt do much in his recent spell at Sheff United.....would like to see him continue to do well in Scotland but then move up a gear to a top Championship club.

Wangball
29/12/2009, 10:26 PM
I suspect Stokes is one of those players who could really take off with the right manager behind him. If I recall correctly, Richard Dunne was a bit of a messer before Keegan (wasn't it?) knocked some sense into him & he blossomed into the legend he is now. I think the same is very possible with Stokes. A good manager could root out his messing. As for Ireland, he has a LOT more potential & more to offer than journeymen chancers like Folan.

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head there, John Hughes is a very good manager at SPL level and having read interviews with him its obvious that he rates Stokes really highly and you get the impression that the feeling is mutual. I think its only a matter of time before Hughes gets offered a higher profile position (be it in England or Scotland) and I'd be willing to bet that Stokes would be a player he'd take with him

Manblue
30/12/2009, 1:45 PM
Agreed, anyone writing Stokes off at this stage of his career is an idiot. He is 20 and clearly has bucket loads of talent. It seems to have been a case of too much too young for him at Sunderland. Who amongst us would not have gone a bit nuts at 18 if we were suddenly making 20 grand a week?? Rooney and Fabregas had great managers looking after them, Stokes had Keane, a rookie with poor man management skills.

No stokes had wenger...who is without doubt the best at developing young talent and always gives youth a chance....he very rarely makes a mistake with young players and somehow I seriously doubt hell regard leaving stokes go to keane a mistake

Acornvilla
30/12/2009, 1:58 PM
stokes only ever playyed on the wing for arsenals youths and reserves.
wnger never actally gave him a chance. most or the managers stokes has played under have stuck him out on the wing hughes is the only one to play him as a striker and give him a run in the position. wsenger is not alwaysd right and roy keane definitley isnt

endabob1
30/12/2009, 2:04 PM
No stokes had wenger...who is without doubt the best at developing young talent and always gives youth a chance....he very rarely makes a mistake with young players and somehow I seriously doubt hell regard leaving stokes go to keane a mistake

There's plenty of players who have left Arsenal because of not getting a chance who have gone on to make a good living in the game, not become superstars but
Bentley
Sidwell
Pennant
off the top of my head have played regularly in the top flight despite being let go by Wenger.

The lad is very young, plenty of time for him to come good and he's better off at Hibs & out of the spotlight for a couple of years imho. If he's good enough in the SPL either a newly promoted side in the EPL or Celtic will take a gamble on him.

geysir
30/12/2009, 2:11 PM
Wenger claims that he can make his decision on a players ability at the age of 18 or 19 and I suppose he is going by the high expectations of that level demanded by the club.
Stokes is in some sort of professional football purgatory now but doing very well there under a good manager for him.
You have to trust that Wenger would have had enough grounds to regard Stokes as high risk for reaching the Arsenal level.

SilkCut
30/12/2009, 9:36 PM

Fair point, however he was only really involved with the youth sides at Arsenal so was probably more involved with Brady than Wenger. My point was when he started to make big money and gain premiership experiance he only had Keane. He appears to work very well with Hughes who had him at Falkirk when he made his breakthrough. I am sure Wenger was happy to let him go as he more than likely will not reach the level required at Arsenal. That is not to say he won't make it though, he has the ability he just needs the right attitude. Hughes seems to be able to get the best from him.

noddy102
01/01/2010, 12:03 PM
There's plenty of players who have left Arsenal because of not getting a chance who have gone on to make a good living in the game, not become superstars but
Bentley
Sidwell
Pennant
off the top of my head have played regularly in the top flight despite being let go by Wenger.

The lad is very young, plenty of time for him to come good and he's better off at Hibs & out of the spotlight for a couple of years imho. If he's good enough in the SPL either a newly promoted side in the EPL or Celtic will take a gamble on him.

All those players you list, including Stokes have something in common; an absolutely shocking attitude towards the professional game, which is why they are no better than good Premiership players.

Razors left peg
01/01/2010, 12:48 PM
All those players you list, including Stokes have something in common; an absolutely shocking attitude towards the professional game, which is why they are no better than good Premiership players.

Bit harsh on Sidwell, he seems a decent pro just didnt have the talent to make it at Arsenal

tetsujin1979
03/01/2010, 3:53 PM
scored the equaliser in the Edinburgh derby.
he's in some form, that's 6 goals in 5 games

Acornvilla
03/01/2010, 9:07 PM
yo know that people use the argument thathe is playing in a bad team as one argument as to why he wont make it as a player? i dont understand that argument because if hibs are as bad a team (they are not as bad as some people seem to feel) as people say they are than should he not be applauded because scoring for a ''bad'' team is surley much harder than it is scoring for a good team? just an observation

SkStu
03/01/2010, 9:10 PM
just watched the game and he was generally excellent. Im glad he's got rid of the blond highlights too. Maybe he is growing up.

He always has given me hope that we have a successor to Robbie Keane, he's got the talent. There was one pass to Riordan near the end with the outside of his left that was simply sublime. Goal was decent too.

superfrank
03/01/2010, 9:17 PM
I find it hard to believe that he's only 21. He's still got plenty of time to develop.

osarusan
03/01/2010, 9:35 PM
yo know that people use the argument thathe is playing in a bad team as one argument as to why he wont make it as a player? i dont understand that argument because if hibs are as bad a team (they are not as bad as some people seem to feel) as people say they are than should he not be applauded because scoring for a ''bad'' team is surley much harder than it is scoring for a good team? just an observation

I think the argument goes along two lines - it is easier to look good in a bad team because you stand out compared to your team mates, whereas with a better team the same standard of play might not get a player noticed, and also because if you are with a bad team you are likely to be playing other bad teams and not proving yourself against the best quality opposition.

Acornvilla
03/01/2010, 10:04 PM
I think the argument goes along two lines - it is easier to look good in a bad team because you stand out compared to your team mates, whereas with a better team the same standard of play might not get a player noticed, and also because if you are with a bad team you are likely to be playing other bad teams and not proving yourself against the best quality opposition.
yep i get what your saying im more so saying that people shouldnt hold it against him that he is in a bad team? liam millar and mcgeady playes the same players week in week out as did james mccarthy and in the past roy keane.. and henrick laarson:D

noddy102
04/01/2010, 12:13 AM
yep i get what your saying im more so saying that people shouldnt hold it against him that he is in a bad team? liam millar and mcgeady playes the same players week in week out as did james mccarthy and in the past roy keane.. and henrick laarson:D

The other point is, that some players just cannot handle the pressure of being at a bigger club or playing at the bigger stage. Take Darren Bent for example. He made his big career move to date, when he joined Spurs, but ultimately the move failed for him, because in my opinion he hasn't got what it takes to perform at a higher level. He's gone back to a smaller club with smaller ambition and he seems to have found his level again. This is why he'll not make it into the England squad, and even if he does, he won't perform.

This is why McGeady and Stokes will never be better than what they are now. They are not mentally strong enough to perform at the next level, because they are not prepared to take the added pressures and responsibilities that go with a bigger club with more ambition.

Bit harsh on Sidwell, he seems a decent pro just didnt have the talent to make it at Arsenal

Perhaps a bit harsh, but you have to agree with me that Sidwell knew what he was doing when he decided to leave Reading for Chelsea. Yes, I'm sure he thought he was ambitious enough to perhaps make a stake for a place in the first team, but it was obviously the lure of a much greater salary that sealed the deal. Also he must have at least assessed the situation with the amount of midfielders Chelsea had, and accepted the fact that he was most likely not going to have much if any first team football. In my opinion that's a fairly disgusting attitude.

Razors left peg
04/01/2010, 1:10 AM
This is why McGeady and Stokes will never be better than what they are now. They are not mentally strong enough to perform at the next level, because they are not prepared to take the added pressures and responsibilities that go with a bigger club with more ambition.

Im sorry but that is a load of rubbish. Stokes is still a kid who didnt make it under a manager who played him out of position whenever he did play him.To say a 21 year will never be better than what he is now is a load of crap. As for McGeady,the best example I can think of straight off is his performances against Arsenal in both legs of the Champions League qualifiers this season. He was brilliant in both games and proved that he was well capable of performing against that sort of opposition.

Im actually getting a bit sick of the constant knocking and writing off of young players on this forum. As I said previously in this thread, Shay Given was released by Celtic and he would probably have been written off by people on this forum, likewise Richard Dunne when he was struggling earlier in his career.Plenty of people until recently were saying that John O Shea was crap.Damien Duff was in and out of the Ireland team until the qualifying campaign for the 2002 world cup when he established himself fully about halfway through the campaign, I think he was about the same age as McGeady is now.
Not every young player that is highly rated as a youngster will develop as was hoped for one reason or another, Sean Thornton and Richie Partridge are 2 examples of that.But sometimes I think that unless the player turns out to be another Messi or Pele at the age of 20 some people start writing their whole careers off

Strongbow10
04/01/2010, 1:27 AM
The other point is, that some players just cannot handle the pressure of being at a bigger club or playing at the bigger stage. Take Darren Bent for example. He made his big career move to date, when he joined Spurs, but ultimately the move failed for him, because in my opinion he hasn't got what it takes to perform at a higher level. He's gone back to a smaller club with smaller ambition and he seems to have found his level again. This is why he'll not make it into the England squad, and even if he does, he won't perform.

Perhaps a bit harsh, but you have to agree with me that Sidwell knew what he was doing when he decided to leave Reading for Chelsea. Yes, I'm sure he thought he was ambitious enough to perhaps make a stake for a place in the first team, but it was obviously the lure of a much greater salary that sealed the deal. Also he must have at least assessed the situation with the amount of midfielders Chelsea had, and accepted the fact that he was most likely not going to have much if any first team football. In my opinion that's a fairly disgusting attitude.

You make some pretty staggering statements there my friend. First you claim neither Stokes or McGeady have the mental capability of playing at a higher level. Then you claim that Steve Sidwell has a disgusting attitude for making an attempt to do so.

Also to say Darren Bent has "found his level" at Sunderland is a bit off too. Like Stokes, Bent has benefitted from a team who plays to his strengths. He was never the target man Spurs wanted him to be.
Likewise Stokes has benefitted from having a manager who recognises his strengths and gets the best from him. Like playing him in his favoured position.

If anything I think a failed spell in the EPL will do Stokes the world of good if it leads him to mature a bit more. Stokes is a very gifted young footballer with a bit of an attitude but he will most certainly improve.

People tend to forget that there are generally not alot of 18-19 year old players let alone strikers making an impact consistently in the EPL. Which is the age Stokes was when he played there.

This constant dismissing of young Irish players is pretty tiring to be honest.

Lenny82
04/01/2010, 1:54 PM
Wasn't Darren Bent Spurs' top scorer last season?

Anthony Stokes cannot do anything right in alot of peoples opinion but people need to realise he is only a kid and is working very hard now in Scotland. It might not be the best league in the world but they are in 3rd spot behind Celtic and Rangers and seem to be performing well. It would be nice to see him amongst the top 3 goalscorers up there this season!

Junior
05/01/2010, 8:50 AM
This constant dismissing of young Irish players is pretty tiring to be honest.

Its annoying alright. Thankfully, its just a handful of moronic/WUM posters.

Best ignored.

Brendan 82
05/01/2010, 1:59 PM
Its annoying alright. Thankfully, its just a handful of moronic/WUM posters.

Best ignored.

It is sad to say but the forum is missing Eirebhoy (RIP) badly. You are right though, best ignored.

yapster
05/01/2010, 2:27 PM
Stokes I feel will do a job for Ireland, of all the so called young prospects he is the one I feel will rise to the top. If he keeps scoring he will grow in confidence and he seems to have that '**** you' persona that is a huge asset in a striker. He looks to be getting stronger and relishing getting 1st team football

Ozymandias
05/01/2010, 3:01 PM
Stokes I feel will do a job for Ireland, of all the so called young prospects he is the one I feel will rise to the top. If he keeps scoring he will grow in confidence and he seems to have that '**** you' persona that is a huge asset in a striker. He looks to be getting stronger and relishing getting 1st team football

strange that you believe McCarthy won't make it yet he scored for fun in a poorer team and in the same league that now Stokes is scoring in yet you seem to think this same criteria for Stokes (who is older than McCarthy) identifies him as the better prospect . Are you being inconsistent here