PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

drummerboy
06/07/2007, 10:40 AM
I'm hoping his "post viral syndome" was just that and not a Lee Sharpe style cover up. I presume that's what you're alluding to.

The lad had a very serious illness. Owen comes from a very good football background. His father runs Martin and Garvan insurance brokers in Drumcondra, the Martin being Con Martin, brother of Mick. Gerry Garvan played with Shels and Drums in the old League of Ireland. Owen is a chip off the old block as they say. Owen’s style of play is very similar to his fathers only better. I'm sure he will be back playing very soon.

kingeric
06/07/2007, 10:49 AM
The stories are not bull**** and some are more serious than you might believe. I say he's dodged a bullet and should get himself straight, he's got a great oppotunity

How do you know?

Stuttgart88
06/07/2007, 10:55 AM
The lad had a very serious illness. I'm sure he will be back playing very soon.He already is, he's been fit since around Feb or March and has played in most games since his return I think (alongside O'Callaghan a few times).

I was pretty sure he'd been laid down with a post-viral / ME type thing, was just responding to the innuendo above.

Bungle
06/07/2007, 11:03 AM
Nah I'm sure Owen is a good young pro.

The story I heard was from an Ipswich fan (I live in East Anglia) that Owen loves his gargle and is a bit of a **** with drink on him. He told me that Magilton sent him back to Ireland to get himself sorted out if he wants a career as a professional footballer. The guy who was telling me this is known as a bull**** merchant, but thats what happens....a few people believe stories and it spreads.

Likewise, I don't know Stokes. He could be an eedjit, or it could be similar to the above story with Garvan.

drummerboy
06/07/2007, 11:26 AM
Nah I'm sure Owen is a good young pro.

The story I heard was from an Ipswich fan (I live in East Anglia) that Owen loves his gargle and is a bit of a **** with drink on him. He told me that Magilton sent him back to Ireland to get himself sorted out if he wants a career as a professional footballer. The guy who was telling me this is known as a bull**** merchant, but thats what happens....a few people believe stories and it spreads.

Likewise, I don't know Stokes. He could be an eedjit, or it could be similar to the above story with Garvan.

If the source of the story is highly unreliable, why bother posting it in the first place.

Paddy Garcia
06/07/2007, 12:15 PM
He has been sent home for "personal problems", this does not seem related to an injury. No idea what it is for though.

Soko
06/07/2007, 2:18 PM
How do you know?

How does anybody know anything? I couldn't give 2 ****s whether you believe it or not, fact is the kid has realise he's a profesional footballer soon enough. I know he's 18 but I'd imagine Keane is not the type of guy to give you too many chances

geysir
06/07/2007, 2:41 PM
I dont know where the faith comes from that Keane is the man manager with the formula for sorting out lads that need sorting.

I thought that Keegan demonstrated great practical man managmement with getting Richard Dunne back on track.

Soko
06/07/2007, 3:24 PM
I dont know where the faith comes from that Keane is the man manager with the formula for sorting out lads that need sorting.

I thought that Keegan demonstrated great practical man managmement with getting Richard Dunne back on track.

I'm saying he probably wont give you an infinte amount of chnces, you don't buck up and you're out the door. My own theory obviously but he doesn't seem the kind that will take fools lightly. Tough love of the Brian Clough genre. It either motivates you or you crumble

Bungle
06/07/2007, 5:46 PM
If the source of the story is highly unreliable, why bother posting it in the first place.

Merely just illustrating the point about how rumours start and can get in the way of facts.

If it is true about Stokes that he has dodged a bullet, then this is extremely worrying. If this was true, then he is a little bit more than a lovable Lee Sharpe style footballer. On the other hand, it could be nonsense.

Soko
06/07/2007, 6:15 PM
Merely just illustrating the point about how rumours start and can get in the way of facts.

If it is true about Stokes that he has dodged a bullet, then this is extremely worrying. If this was true, then he is a little bit more than a lovable Lee Sharpe style footballer. On the other hand, it could be nonsense.

Please tell me you don't think he actually dodged a bullet? I suppose this really is how rumours can spread :)

Kivlehan
06/07/2007, 9:19 PM
My only complaint about Stokes is that he and his co-panelists made a bad choice for Miss Ireland. Miss Athlone was way hotter than the girl they picked.

http://www.missireland2007.com

Roy Keane will put him in his place if he gets out of line. He respects Keane a lot based on his interviews so I think there's a great chance that relationship will steer him away from making the mistakes so many of us made at his age.

Bungle
06/07/2007, 11:33 PM
Please tell me you don't think he actually dodged a bullet? I suppose this really is how rumours can spread :)

This is the latest video of Stokesie on his return to Dublin taking the **** out of the local hoodlums...:)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2oP1NMB_I0s

youngirish
11/07/2007, 12:28 PM
My only complaint about Stokes is that he and his co-panelists made a bad choice for Miss Ireland. Miss Athlone was way hotter than the girl they picked.

Roy Keane will put him in his place if he gets out of line. He respects Keane a lot based on his interviews so I think there's a great chance that relationship will steer him away from making the mistakes so many of us made at his age.
Miss Ireland is a bit of a ripper isn't she? If that's the best our country can offer thank f**k I live abroad.

passinginterest
11/07/2007, 12:56 PM
Miss Ireland is a bit of a ripper isn't she? If that's the best our country can offer thank f**k I live abroad.

She was nowhere near the best. I was there. She was only picked because they've been accused of fixing it for years. Paddy Power lost a fortune on big gambles over the last couple of years.

Stokes looked like he was sober that night too. Although he certainly wasn't shy with the ladies.

kingeric
19/07/2007, 10:38 AM
Scored vs Darlington last night.

see www.safc.com

Torn-Ado
19/07/2007, 4:06 PM

Miss Ireland is rubbish. The Rose of Tralee is where its at. They're real women and they've brilliant personalities and are very talented.

zinedineontour
19/07/2007, 4:44 PM
Scored vs Darlington last night.

see www.safc.com

Cracking goal as well by him you can see below :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2koj8_darlington-0-2-sunderland-friendly

kingeric
20/07/2007, 9:35 AM
Cracking goal as well by him you can see below :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2koj8_darlington-0-2-sunderland-friendly

thanks for that! nice first touch there.. would like to see him get a chance playing as an out and out striker

tetsujin1979
20/07/2007, 10:53 AM
thanks for that! nice first touch there.. would like to see him get a chance playing as an out and out striker
That's where he played for Falkirk, and scored for fun.

OwlsFan
20/07/2007, 10:58 AM
Miss Ireland is rubbish. The Rose of Tralee is where its at. They're real women and they've brilliant personalities and are very talented.

Saw Robbie Keane's moth on RTE last night. She was on Lorraine Keane's programme. My wife was watching it before anyone asks. I was just a passive viewer. Not a bad looker (Robbie's girl friend).

eirebhoy
20/07/2007, 10:59 AM
Good post by "Kent Boy 2" on the Sunderland forum:

One of the few things that I really bite on is Stokes.

Anyone that is "underwhelmed" by his performances last season needs to give their heads a shake if you ask me.

As I've said to those people before - go back and watch the videos of his games and watch his overall game rather than concentrating on the fact that he shoots from silly places too often.

Watch how many times he controls the ball first time. Watch the runs he makes into acres of space but doesn't get the ball. Watch how many times he is telling the seasoned pros (including the likes of Whitehead & Connolly) where to pass the ball. Watch how he is always making himself available in space. Watch how little time he is standing still. And watch the ease with which he plays the game.

And all this from an 18 year old that was played out of position for most of his games.

The things he does wrong like not taking shots from silly places and keeping hold of the ball too long will come right with experience and good coaching.

The things that he does right like his control, movement and understanding of the game, come naturally.

Torn-Ado
20/07/2007, 4:31 PM
Saw Robbie Keane's moth on RTE last night. She was on Lorraine Keane's programme. My wife was watching it before anyone asks. I was just a passive viewer. Not a bad looker (Robbie's girl friend).

It will never last.

zinedineontour
21/08/2007, 7:08 AM
Republic of Ireland under-21 coach Don Givens was fuming last night after Sunderland striker Anthony Stokes failed to report for duty. The 19-year-old Dubliner was due to play in a prestige friendly against Germany in Fürth Upon ringing the player, Givens discovered that Stokes had withdrawn through an unspecified injury and the manager is livid with both the player and the club for the situation.
"I rang Anthony on his mobile to ask him where he was and he said: 'I'm in Dublin, did the boss not get in touch with you?'" explained the Irish under-21 chief.
"I told Anthony than I'd heard nothing and he said: 'Well, I picked up a knock on Saturday and the boss told me twice that he'd sort it."
"My reaction was that it was also his responsibility to phone me. I'm very disappointed to find myself in that position," said Givens.
"As soon as the squad was announced Blackburn were on to me to tell me that Keith Tracey was injured and offered to send me the results of his scan. That shows how thorough they are.
"I'm very disappointed to find another Premier League club not behaving in a similar fashion."

Hopefully in this case it was the clubs fault and not the player.

paul_oshea
21/08/2007, 8:24 AM
thats keane more so in fairness, prolly with the attitude ah sure its only an u21 game.

Pablo
21/08/2007, 8:30 AM
Wasn't there a suggestion after the weekend that Stokes Sunderland future was in doubt? Because keane didnt like his attitude?

drinkfeckarse
21/08/2007, 8:39 AM
He could have phoned himself anyway to be sure about things. Says a lot about his attitude alright IMO.

RiffRaff
21/08/2007, 9:11 AM
Why does Don Givens always find it necessary to repeat his conversations with players to the media? This could have been dealt with privately. Maybe Stokes was in the wrong, but if thats not the case, it doesnt show the FAI in good light if one of its representatives openly slags off players.

eirebhoy
21/08/2007, 9:15 AM
It seems like I back up Stokes all the time on here but again, what has he done wrong now? Keith Tracey probably didn't wring Givens himself either. Unless Stokes is lying and I doubt Keane would take that lightly.

bellavistaman
21/08/2007, 9:22 AM
Still though a bit of respect talk to the manager yourself like, personal approach is always better. Something bout Stokes i really dislike.

finnpark
21/08/2007, 9:30 AM
Why isn't Stokes in the 1st team squad. Don Givens doesn't have a clue. He has been in that job since I can remember. As Ziggy says: "Simple As"

pete
21/08/2007, 9:53 AM
This seems to happen a lot to Givens. I wonder who is to blame...?

If Stokes wasn't in trouble at Sunderland before he probably is now as has just dropped his boss in it. :rolleyes:

SunderlandBohs
21/08/2007, 9:54 AM
The club rang the FAI to clear up McShane's injury but nothing was said about Stokes. It comes across to me that 'The Clown' thinks he's to good to play in the U21's now that he's 'a premiership star'. The reason Stokes is not in the senior squad is because he hasn't performed at club level. Rumours have it Derby are interested in a loan deal & I won't be surprised if he's gone within a few days. Looks like we might have another Sean Thornton on our hands. A talent go to waste.

bwagner
21/08/2007, 9:54 AM
who the feck is Ziggy?

bellavistaman
21/08/2007, 9:58 AM

If Stokes wasn't in trouble at Sunderland before he probably is now as has just dropped his boss in it. :rolleyes:

The club rang the FAI to clear up McShane's injury but nothing was said about Stokes. It comes across to me that 'The Clown' thinks he's to good to play in the U21's now that he's 'a premiership star'. The reason Stokes is not in the senior squad is because he hasn't performed at club level. Rumours have it Derby are interested in a loan deal & I won't be surprised if he's gone within a few days. Looks like we might have another Sean Thornton on our hands. A talent go to waste.

I've the same views as ye here lads, think he is gettin very big-headed and could soon do himself alot of harm.

geysir
21/08/2007, 10:03 AM
There is a little bit more to it

"The Sunderland physio rang the FAI straight after the Wigan game about McShane's injury and I find it hard to understand why if Anthony was injured it wasn't said then," said Givens. "I also find it a little hard to understand if Anthony Stokes is injured what is he doing in Dublin? Surely he should be back at the club getting treatment. What really annoys me is it has denied another player a place in the squad."

Nevertheless Givens was able to call up Patrick Cregg.

Givens has a fair point and it makes good reading :)

razor
21/08/2007, 10:05 AM
Givens is an idiot. Roy obviously thinks so too.

We're only waiting for these 2 games at the Cross to tell the chap what we really think of him.

Macy
21/08/2007, 10:07 AM
I've the same views as ye here lads, think he is gettin very big-headed and could soon do himself alot of harm.
Givens is only just getting big headed?

finnpark
21/08/2007, 10:15 AM

It doesn't take a genius to work out that Keane told Stokes to say that as Keane cannot be sanctioned for forgettign to report an injury. Keane knows what es doing. Stokes is a good player although played out of position at the moment.

Dodge
21/08/2007, 10:16 AM
Givens may be an idiot but Sunderland told the world that McShane was injured and wouldn't travel. It'd have been easier to add in Stokes than let this rumble on.

Seems like Stokes was at fault tbh

finnpark
21/08/2007, 10:17 AM
who the feck is Ziggy?

Don't pretend you don't know ;)

finnpark
21/08/2007, 10:17 AM
Givens may be an idiot but Sunderland told the world that McShane was injured and wouldn't travel. It'd have been easier to add in Stokes than let this rumble on.

Seems like Stokes was at fault tbh

But he wasn't injured until he fell off that bar stool

DeNiro
21/08/2007, 10:28 AM
Stokes in a real big time Charlie. I could not believe his attitude in the Cork v Sunderland game. It looked like he just came on to argue with everyone. I think an earlier post hit the nail on the head - he thinks he's too good for the u21s. He probably sees Murphy and Keogh in the senior squad and is throwing a strop now over it. I said it yesterday that I don't think he'll last at Sunderland. What bets have him at another club before 31 August?

Risteard
21/08/2007, 10:37 AM
Why isn't Roy O'Donovan in that squad?
Only turned 22 last week.

WoodquayBoy
21/08/2007, 11:08 AM
Stokes went aorund with a face like a slapped a*se in Terryland as well, he looked like he was itching for a row with someone.

Dr. Ogba
21/08/2007, 11:15 AM
yep, any time I've seen Stokes play he's just gone around bitching and moaning, whether it be at the ref or at his own teammates...he would want to knuckle down or he'll be joining Thornton in the lower leagues soon enough...

pateen
21/08/2007, 11:24 AM
Why does Don Givens always find it necessary to repeat his conversations with players to the media? This could have been dealt with privately. Maybe Stokes was in the wrong, but if thats not the case, it doesnt show the FAI in good light if one of its representatives openly slags off players.

I totally agree with riffraff. Givens has done this numerous times before. Keith Foy springs to mind when he was at forest. He's been there for ages and has done fcek all. Delany is the man behind keeping him there, this is a fact!

DeNiro
21/08/2007, 11:26 AM
Be interesting to know if he's got the attitude off the pitch as well. I've seen some of the quotes in the paper saying that he told RK twice to call the FAI to withdraw him. Now, if that's lies, he surely f***ked.

NeilMcD
21/08/2007, 11:27 AM
I totally agree with riffraff. Givens has done this numerous times before. Keith Foy springs to mind when he was at forest. He's been there for ages and has done fcek all. Delany is the man behind keeping him there, this is a fact!

Givens is a mupppet but in this case he appears to be right. But maybe he should not have been so open about it. Either Sunderland or Stokes have fecked up here. If he is injured Sunderland should have called the FAI. If he is not injured and has lied about it, he is in serious bother with both his club and country. Either way someone has ****ed up here and Givens has told the world about it which is unprofessional too.

Don Givens
Anthony Stokes
Roy Keane

All guilty in this case in my view.

youngirish
21/08/2007, 11:29 AM

I think I can provide an answer to this question for you after researching it using the Google search engine on the Internet.

It is apparently because Don Givens is a grade A plonker.