PDA

View Full Version : TC Watch

Pages : [1] 2

KoemansCC
21/08/2007, 12:11 AM
I be interested to know how TC faired out tonight, tactics, substitutions, etc...perhaps a few of the lads can fill me in whenever they get home...

gilberto_eire
21/08/2007, 1:08 AM
ooh god...dont get too much into the result the performance was terrible..but we did have only 10 men for the most part!!

played wes...LEFT!!. lester middle with fitzy and keane right...and had o'halloran in the middle!!!...would have made more sense to sitch wes with lester and lester with greg.... decided to play cookie on the right... was a waste of a player really!!.... robson played in the middle with lester and done ok!

i missed our first because it was right after drogs 2nd and i was in bits and wasnt looking so cant comment on it!!... our 2nd was a fluke it was a cross frm derek and the goalie punched it into the net without any pressure on him...was comical really!!!.

basically the players saved tony again wouldnt put it doewn to tactical genius.... his initial team and tactics put us 2-0 down.... and was a freak we managed 2 at the end as we barely applied any pressure!!

KoemansCC
21/08/2007, 1:56 AM
Not putting too much emphasis on the performance, I say we just had a bit of grit and luck in the end...Drogs could have taken the foot off the pedal with the game in the bag...

JC_GUFC
21/08/2007, 10:14 AM
That's a bit of a harsh post gilberto.

We didn't deserve a point but I think tactically Cousins got it about right. We'd frustrated Drogheda for 70 minutes without them getting any clear cut chances. Wes was terrible at left back and Cooke isn't good enough for the Premier at all but Drogheda had won 7 of their 10 home games this season and are easily the best team in the league so we were always going to struggle with a few players missing.

I thought Robson had a good game and Keane did v well in the second half and fair play to the players for not giving up as when they got their second I was sure it was all over.

To say the players got Cousins out of a hole is a joke and I'm sure you've been posting on other threads about how the players haven't been pulling their weight. Losing at home to Bray and Waterford are terrible results but only Drogheda have a better away record than us this season. Once we get our first home win of the season I'm sure more will come.

galwayhoop
21/08/2007, 10:35 AM
.....only Drogheda have a better away record than us this season.

is that true????

amazing if it is!

WoodquayBoy
21/08/2007, 10:54 AM
Yup. Drogs have taken 24 points on the road, the next best is 15 points, which Utd, Cork, Shams, Sligo and Pats have all managed. Drogs have only lost once away from home (against Pats) followed by both United and Derry with just 2 losses. Our away form is remarkable, all that is need is a couple of wins at home, and who better to kick-start that against than Sligo?

gufct
21/08/2007, 11:00 AM
If J.C. said its True. Gilberto doesnt even explain why Tony picked the team he did.

We were missing Regi and John Russell from the UCD Game so obviously he had too make 2 changes and rather than push Wes back in centre half where he has struggled lately he put him left back moved Lester back to Centre Half where he had a stormer with John Fitzgerald (mom and best signing we have made) and pushed Keano to Right Back. He moved Greg O'Halloran to Center Mid where he had a great game and brought Cookie in Right side.

We were under the Kosh even with 11 so it was no surprise that he left Glynn plough a lone furrow when O'flynn was sent off and placed two solid banks of four which dealt with everything Drogheda threw at them until they pushed Shane Robinson out wide and got the breakthrough and then Tony Introduced Vinny Flah for Wes and tried to sneak a goal Drogheda scored again and then we fought like tigers and got our reward.

We created chances throughout and Lester,Murphs,Glynn,O'Brien and Lester all went close so dont believe the biased reports from Drogs Fans in the Mirror and Star today. We got a fantastic result and everyone deserved it Tony,The Players and the 50 odd fans who still showed belief even when 2 goals down with 10 men away to the Title Favourites.

gilberto_eire
21/08/2007, 11:02 AM
That's a bit of a harsh post gilberto.

We didn't deserve a point but I think tactically Cousins got it about right. We'd frustrated Drogheda for 70 minutes without them getting any clear cut chances. Wes was terrible at left back and Cooke isn't good enough for the Premier at all but Drogheda had won 7 of their 10 home games this season and are easily the best team in the league so we were always going to struggle with a few players missing.

I thought Robson had a good game and Keane did v well in the second half and fair play to the players for not giving up as when they got their second I was sure it was all over.

To say the players got Cousins out of a hole is a joke and I'm sure you've been posting on other threads about how the players haven't been pulling their weight. Losing at home to Bray and Waterford are terrible results but only Drogheda have a better away record than us this season. Once we get our first home win of the season I'm sure more will come.

to the best of my knowledge i havent actually, go dig it up before ya go making accusations!.... even if someone did say that before that doesnt make sense that they couldnt pull it together at any stage!!.

wasnt at UCD so cant comment on should we have deserved it, but to say Tonys tactics reaped the 2 late goals is far-fetched. even one of the subs he made was wrong(left cookie on and took glynn off for fagen). it was a freak that got us out of last night but i think we are due a bit of luck at this stage.... wasnt tonys making,what game were u watching!!

gufct
21/08/2007, 11:14 AM
Jesus Wept we must have the hardest to please fans anywhere. I was getting texts from all over the country last night conratulating GUFC yet we still have our own moan club going strong.

WoodquayBoy
21/08/2007, 11:19 AM
I don't think anyone is moaning. Everyone must be thrilled at taking a point from Drogheda, it is just they are making the point that it wasn't deserved. Not deserving a point and not being thrilled to get one ar two completely different things. I don't deserve to have a massive schlong, but that doesn;t mean I am not thrilled to have one ;0)

galwayhoop
21/08/2007, 11:28 AM
and the 50 odd fans who still showed belief even when 2 goals down with 10 men away to the Title Favourites.

it would have been 51 except .....

i missed our first because it was right after drogs 2nd and i was in bits and wasnt looking so cant comment on it!!...

:D:D:D

life long red
21/08/2007, 2:38 PM
Yup. Drogs have taken 24 points on the road, the next best is 15 points, which Utd, Cork, Shams, Sligo and Pats have all managed. Drogs have only lost once away from home (against Pats) followed by both United and Derry with just 2 losses. Our away form is remarkable, all that is need is a couple of wins at home, and who better to kick-start that against than Sligo?
dream on

gufct
21/08/2007, 3:03 PM
Congratulatory phone calls from all over the country??? What happened while I was asleep?? Did we finally win a trophy?? Oh no just drew again!
You might want to upgrade your phone gufct - if we ever win something your phone will explode!!!

Texts john from GUFC Fans because there was no coverage on GBFM or RTE .You see some people actually do care what happens and dont want to have a go at the club everytime they can.

I had a real bright spark at the game telling me I was in it for the money and we were all ******* and ten minutes later he was throwing his jersey to Murphs to get the team to autograph it for him.

Tir Oilean
21/08/2007, 3:12 PM
We'll see on Friday Life long red

Tir Oilean
21/08/2007, 3:15 PM
I had a real bright spark at the game telling me I was in it for the money .

Idiot. :rolleyes:

life long red
21/08/2007, 3:19 PM
We'll see on Friday Life long red
same old story cant win at home 2-0 rovers

KoemansCC
21/08/2007, 3:20 PM
I had a real bright spark at the game telling me I was in it for the money...

Don't forget the sex, drugs and rock and roll gufct...hedonistic times at Galway Utd these days...:D

KoemansCC
21/08/2007, 3:22 PM
I be interested to know how TC faired out tonight, tactics, substitutions, etc...perhaps a few of the lads can fill me in whenever they get home...

So back on topic again, was the point garnished due to TC's tactics, players determination and fight until the final whistle or just some badly deserved luck?

Tir Oilean
21/08/2007, 3:23 PM

It will happen and when it does I predict it will happen in style.

gufct
21/08/2007, 3:31 PM
As I said earlier I fancy our chances on friday and Sligo wont have it easy tonight . I could see tonights game being a real battle with plenty of cards and injuries.

Claret Murph
21/08/2007, 3:33 PM

Spot on Tir Oilean it is just how I see also as some team is going to get it big style and we only have six games left .:ball:

Conor H
21/08/2007, 3:38 PM
Texts john from GUFC Fans because there was no coverage on GBFM or RTE .You see some people actually do care what happens and dont want to have a go at the club everytime they can.

I had a real bright spark at the game telling me I was in it for the money and we were all ******* and ten minutes later he was throwing his jersey to Murphs to get the team to autograph it for him.

:DLMAO.

Tommy some peope call a spade a spade.Even JC admits we didn't deserve a point.

You seem to be having an awful hard time grasping the concept that supporters would admit we were poxy to get a draw.
Do you think it was a masterstroke by TC to go 2-0 down with 2 minutes to go and then score 2 goals?
It was a great point-not a deserved one.
That's not moaning-it's fact.

I was getting texts from all over the country last night conratulating GUFC yet we still have our own moan club going strong
:D:p

life long red
21/08/2007, 3:41 PM
yes when you are in the first div

Conor H
21/08/2007, 3:43 PM
Did the puzzle factory close early today Life Long Red?

gufct
21/08/2007, 3:46 PM
its amazing the amount of Sligo Fans that come on here and the GUST Forum they must have nothing to be doing.

Conor H
21/08/2007, 3:48 PM
They're excited about playing a Big Club on Friday.

KoemansCC
21/08/2007, 3:49 PM
dream on

yes when you are in the first div

Two points well made, don't over exert yourself llr:rolleyes:....

Paddyfield
21/08/2007, 7:50 PM

We're not playing Rovers on Friday. We're playing Sligo.

geezer
21/08/2007, 9:22 PM
id say TC is the eircom league equivalent of the above, The dreaded vote of confidence is looming and if we stay in the division I cant see Utd sticking with him. Its time for Pat Dolan. NLeeson will be able to keep him under control and I think he could motivate a team to succeed and rouse the tribal army to fill a fitting stadium every second friday next season.

Tir Oilean
21/08/2007, 9:32 PM
Jesus I dont know about Phat Dolan tbh Geezer. He wouldnt take the job anyway thank god due to his lucrative tv deals. Maybe we could get greg o halloran to do his impression of Dolan that might be a cheaper way of motivating the players!

geezer
21/08/2007, 9:41 PM
im laughin my head off with that response. He is around Galway a lot lately and reckons GUFC is the big one and he believes he can lead us to the holy grail "a league title" Its his destiny and was mad impressed with Terryland after gaining a title with us he plans to bring a "liam mc carthy" back to Galway as well. Then we can pawn him off to connaught rugby after that to wipe our eye with friday night rugby and steal our crowds

He wouldnt half create a stir, and has the credentials.

GuisaSaigon
21/08/2007, 9:49 PM
Dolan has been saying he's coming back home to Terryland for years now, full of sh!te :D

Tir Oilean
21/08/2007, 9:55 PM
Anytime I've seen him commenting on United he always says what a great little club with great potential (its nearly condescending he has said it so often) He goes on about how he is from Galway bla bla bla I say he's full of it. Shur wasnt there loadsa talk too of him helping his buddy Mick Wallace in Wexford?

geezer
21/08/2007, 9:57 PM
if we see another ****e performance at home on friday will someone get me one of those flares and stick it up tc's ass

Conor H
21/08/2007, 9:58 PM
He mentioned the "F" word!:eek:

Gufct is going to choke on his cornflakes in the morning when he sees that!:p

Tir Oilean
21/08/2007, 9:58 PM
if we see another ****e performance at home on friday will someone get me one of those flares and stick it up tc's ass

:D:D:D!!!!!

Mr A
22/08/2007, 7:49 AM
In fairness lads, Dolan claims to have a special affinity with every club in the country. Maybe he really does in the case of GU, but I suspect the pay package would have to be very substantial to get him to 'return home'.

WoodquayBoy
22/08/2007, 8:39 AM
Dolan for Utd? Do you want to destory the club or something? If Liam Buckley is still interested, he'd be worth checking out, but Dolan . . ??? Bye bye Glynn, Fitzgerald and Regi within a few months if tht happens

Demoshield
22/08/2007, 9:46 AM
If J.C. said its True. Gilberto doesnt even explain why Tony picked the team he did.

We were missing Regi and John Russell from the UCD Game so obviously he had too make 2 changes and rather than push Wes back in centre half where he has struggled lately he put him left back moved Lester back to Centre Half where he had a stormer with John Fitzgerald (mom and best signing we have made) and pushed Keano to Right Back. He moved Greg O'Halloran to Center Mid where he had a great game and brought Cookie in Right side.

So TC thinks Wes is better at LB than CB? Did he watch the Cork City game?
Lester is a better CB than midfield or a better CB than Wes?
Two simple changes were required Wes at CB & Fagan or Murphs on the right.
We go away to the best team in the league, desperate for points & he plays a CB pairing that have never played together,AFAIK. A midfield pairing that never played together. A RB who has not played that position since he got injured last season, and a right wing of dubious quality, that hasn't played in how long? We got a point despite TC not because of him. Well done the players, it must be impossible to perform when you don't know where you will be playing or who will be along side you from one week to the next.
PS. Does TC know Wes has played in goal before?? Now there's another change he could make

gilberto_eire
22/08/2007, 4:29 PM
So TC thinks Wes is better at LB than CB? Did he watch the Cork City game?
Lester is a better CB than midfield or a better CB than Wes?
Two simple changes were required Wes at CB & Fagan or Murphs on the right.
We go away to the best team in the league, desperate for points & he plays a CB pairing that have never played together,AFAIK. A midfield pairing that never played together. A RB who has not played that position since he got injured last season, and a right wing of dubious quality, that hasn't played in how long? We got a point despite TC not because of him. Well done the players, it must be impossible to perform when you don't know where you will be playing or who will be along side you from one week to the next.
PS. Does TC know Wes has played in goal before?? Now there's another change he could make

team that started was

rogers
wes fitzy lester keane
derek robson o'halloran cookie
glynn flynn

should have been(going by not changing any of the 11)......

rogers
keane fitzy wes o'halloran
derek robson lester cookie
glynn flynn

why we went out with that starting 11 is beyond me, to say ''it paid off'' isnt a true statment. we were under the kosh the whole game and looking only slightly dangerous on the counter!. even when we went 2-0 down they didnt take the foot off and we somehow claimed two goals despite never troubling the drogs, he got it wrong again here IMO but the players pulled it out of the bag with some massive help from lady luck.

geezer
27/08/2007, 8:47 PM
we gave out about TC a lot in the last few months but it seems he has got the "siege mentality" up and running in the squad judging by the city tribune interview last friday. Its a tool used and perfected by the likes of ferguson over the years. If it took an agenda by the national press against uniteds presence in the league or whatever else its doing the trick long may it continue

GuisaSaigon
27/08/2007, 8:55 PM
anyone got a link to that interview? I missed the city tribune this week.

Tir Oilean
27/08/2007, 9:40 PM
Also were starting our improvement early enough. Last thing we want is the old adage too little too late.

WoodquayBoy
28/08/2007, 8:38 AM
City Tribune piece:

United boss lashes out at
national media coverage
after draw in Drogheda

Keith Kelly

Galway United manager Tony Cousins is absolutely livid with sections of the national media over its coverage of United’s 2-2 draw with league leaders Drogheda United on Monday night.
Speaking ahead of tonight’s Connacht derby with Sligo Rovers in Terryland Park (kick-off 7.45pm), Cousins is still clearly fuming over some reports which suggested his side had attempted to kick Drogheda off the park, and that the league leader’s captain, Alan Byrne, was targeted for particular attention.
And he has also suggested that there might be a bit of an agenda out there to undermine United’s results on the pitch as a result of the manner in which United found themselves in the Premier Division this season.
“One of the papers said we didn’t enhance ourselves with our approach to the game — what did they want us to do, go there and stand off them so we could get caned and they [the journalists] could write great stuff about Drogheda?
“A lot of what was in the papers was pure s**te talk. These guys never had any time for Drogheda, they certainly didn’t when I was there. But now they [Drogheda] are top of the table and still in Europe, and they can’t write great stuff about them quick enough, it is just pure s**te,” he said yesterday.
“I would never send a team out to target a player, never. If I did, it would have been Shane Robinson on Monday night, and not Alan Byrne, as I think he has been their best player, but I would never ask my players to do that.”
He says the papers have conveniently overlooked the character his side showed to fight back from two goals down, and with only 10 men, in the last three minutes to force a draw on Monday.
“They were all saying that Drogheda threw two points away. What about giving us a bit of credit for fighting back with 10 men against the league leaders? The ball didn’t just travel by itself from our six yard box to theirs, we had to play a bit, but that was overlooked,” he said.
He then mentioned the white elephant in the room, United’s invitation to the Premier Division, and hinted that might also have a bearing of some of the things written during the season.
“There are obviously people out there who aren’t happy at how we found ourselves in the Premier, and they would like nothing more than for us to get relegated so they can say we got what we deserved.
“We are in a fight now [against relegation], and we will fight for every point. No team is going to get an easy game against us, if anyone takes three points off us, or even one, they will have had to fight hard for it as we are not going to bow down to anyone,” he said.
Turning his attention to tonight’s game, he will have to plan without Stephen O’Flynn, who was sent off on Monday night, while Regi Nooitmeer remains sidelined with a knee ligament injury, but the prognosis is not as gloomy as thought last week.
“We hope now that he could be back in about two weeks. It will mean he has missed a month, but we are hopeful he’ll only miss another couple of weeks,” says Cousins — it was originally feared the Dutch defender would be out for the rest of the season.
Cousins has no other injury concerns, with John Russell returning to training this week after bout of ‘flu saw him miss Monday night’s draw.
“I haven’t decided on the team yet, I’ll make my mind up over night and tell the layers in the hotel just before the game. They all know what is expected of them and if they don’t produce, then they are out and someone else will come in,” he says.
While he refused to give anything else away in relation to his line of thinking for tonight’s game, that last comment would seem to suggest that Russell will come straight back into the side on the right side of midfield, where United offered nothing of attacking note on Monday.
With O’Flynn ruled out, it appears to be a toss up between Barry Moran and Vinny Faherty for the slot up front alongside Derek Glynn, and given that Moran has not even featured in the matchday squad for the last two games, Faherty could be poised to make only his second start of the season.
As for tonight’s visitors, they will have new signings Matthew Gordon and James Meredith available for selection, but there is a doubt over centre back Gavin Peers, who is rated only 50/50 for the game, and will undergo a last minute fitness test before kick-off.
“Our away form has been stunning, but we really need a home win. I am looking for the players show the same attitude and application as they did against Drogheda and in the second half against UCD. I didn't think there was much on Monday’s match when it 11 against 11. Obviously when he went a man down it was a different story, but we still held out until the 75th minute.
“A few home wins will see us shoot up the table, we just need to get that first one. The players know what is required of them,” he said.

Mr A
28/08/2007, 8:55 AM
Bloody hell. Methinks the pressure was getting to him before Friday's result!

GuisaSaigon
28/08/2007, 8:56 AM
Thanks Woodquay Boy, Good to hear hear of some passion being shown by TC a bit of section A language goes down well with the fans from time to time.
He's right about the reports of the Drogheda game the Indo was particularly pro- Drogs. I dont know why Utd would have targeted Alan Byrne as he hasn't played since the late 90's AFAIK and I dont think he ever played for Drogs:rolleyes:. Now , targeting Stewy Byrne might have been possible as he's a Knobjockey:rolleyes:, but I dont think he was deliberately targeted either.

WoodquayBoy
28/08/2007, 9:13 AM
'I dont know why Utd would have targeted Alan Byrne as he hasn't played since the late 90's AFAIK and I dont think he ever played for Drogs'

Probably shows how worked up Cousins was!

WoodquayBoy
28/08/2007, 9:19 AM
'I dont know why Utd would have targeted Alan Byrne as he hasn't played since the late 90's AFAIK and I dont think he ever played for Drogs'

'Probably shows how worked up Cousins was!'

Or maybe not, that plank also mentions 'league leader's captain, Alan Byrne . . ' at the top of the story.

Tir Oilean
28/08/2007, 9:49 AM
Jaysus after reading that I now know why we won on Friday! Fiery stuff to say the least! Go on TC dont hold back! fcuk them all! And beat Drogs in 2 weeks to show were no pushover!

gufct
28/08/2007, 10:09 AM
I was just thinking about that Drogheda game when i read last wednesdays papers and Doolins comments in particular which were running down united. I feel im going to miss a cracker and we could just end up beating them and putting their nailed on title hopes back in the melting point.