PDA

View Full Version : NE Cup - MONS LADIES KNOCKED OUT OF CUP IN EXTRA TIME

Magicme
20/08/2007, 10:27 PM
Monaghan United ladies missed out on a place in the North Eastern Cup Final when they lost out to two late goals in the last two minutes of extra time in last Wednesday night’s semi-final clash.

United started off very slowly as they tried to curtail Drogheda and it was against the run of play that Monaghan opened the scoring. A cross by Sharon McAree was met by Orla Callan who headed it into the back of the net. Drogheda had to wait unit the 30th minute for the equaliser when Mons ‘keeper Christine Meinenberg was unable to hold a shot into the top corner of the net.

Drogheda then went 2-1 up right on the stroke of half-time when United ladies twice failed to clear a corner. The ball dropped to a Drogs striker to rifle home in a crowded goal mouth leaving it 1-2 at half time.

On the 57th minute a super ball by Drog’s Irish International Grainne Kierans split the United defence for the Drogs to coolly slot past the Mons ‘keeper. On the 60th minute United ladies were back in the game when Orla Callan was brought down in the Drogs penalty box and Charlene Graham stepped up to put the ball in the back of the net with precision. Moments later Callan weaved her way past the Drogs goalie but two defenders were back to clear it from the goal line.

Not finished yet, Callan again had a great chance to level the game but she was unable to keep her shot down as it sailed over the bar. In the 82nd minute United ladies levelled when Suzanne Gordan blasted the ball past the Drogs ‘keeper to make it 3 all and send the game into extra-time.

In extra-time both sides battled hard and the only chance fell to Gordon when she broke through for a one-on-one with the ‘keeper but Suzanne was flagged for off-side.

The second half of extra-time saw Drogheda put United ladies on the back foot and with only two minutes remaining in the game and penalties on the cards, Drogheda’s star Kierans broke Monaghan hearts when she got the ball at the edge of the United 18 yard box. Kierans showed her class as she bent the ball over everyone’s head into the top left corner of the net. It was a wonderful goal worthy of winning any game.

Finally on the last kick of the ball, a goalmouth scramble saw Drogheda kill the game off with them drilling the ball over the line to make it 5-3.

Although beaten, this was a great performance by the United Ladies against a team 3 divisions above them and it shows the girls that they are not far away in competing with the bigger teams.

sligoman
21/08/2007, 12:32 AM
"NE Cup - MONS LADIES KNOCKED..."

That's all I saw of thread title so decided to complete the thread title meself. Amused me anyway:D

prinz
22/08/2007, 2:30 PM
i lost a lot of respect for monaghan after i heard what happened to last years manager and coach i was close to signing for them

Magicme
23/08/2007, 1:25 PM
Am very sorry for any offence caused by the above deleted comments above.

Just Prinz you should check out the full facts before making comments too.

prinz
27/08/2007, 1:13 PM
Dont worry i gotthe full story even from a member of your squad i played against your team this year seems a little harsh win two trophies then they are both pushed out

Magicme
28/08/2007, 9:55 AM
Prinz they werent pushed out. They were offered their jobs and chose to resign. End of story.