PDA

View Full Version : Mighty result tonight

Pages : [1] 2

geezer
20/08/2007, 8:45 PM
2-2 , 2 down and only 10 men, they manage to pull it back in the last 3 minutes. The tide is turning Friday could be the night to finally show our home support a bit of fight

jamie m
20/08/2007, 8:58 PM
great result for ye lads, sets up what should be a cracker on friday night!hopefully keeps the title race going for a bit longer too,

Gaillimh Al
20/08/2007, 9:30 PM
Couldn't believe it. Checked teletext and it said 2-0. Was sure it was final result and was going back to see if there was a report and up pops 2-2. Fabulous. The long trip home won't be so bad now I'd say.:D

Maroon 7
20/08/2007, 10:18 PM
My flabber was well and truly gasted when I heard the result. I checked livescore with about 5 minutes to go and we were losing 2-0. Thought that was that especially with only 10 men. Shame Setanta didn't show the game.

Paddyfield
20/08/2007, 10:27 PM
Match report from the official Drogs website. Whoever wrote the article was either drunk or isn't familair with the English language...or both.

http://www.droghedaunited.ie/scripts/Result.asp?FixtureID=814

Well, this was a quare one and no doubt about it, us two up with 5 minutes to go and we go and concede two late goals...........it bet all . Everything seemed to be going fine, after a fruitless first half where we had most of the possession, O'Flynn gets a straight red for a dreadful tackle on Stuart Byrne and even though we toiled to make the breakthrough against a well-organised galway team the half time respite gave us hope that we would turn our dominance into goals in the second half .. and we did until five minutes to go...........

Gavin Whelan came on for the missing Richie Baker and elsewhere we soldiered on as Dalymount. We moved the ball around well and created numerous half chances, but half-chances they only were and a combination of the final pass going astray and too many obvious balls being played in to the Galway defence left us scoreless and even though we were on top, Galway seemed to have themselves well organised.

So, annyway, scoreless first half, cup of tea, settle down for things to come .......................... Aidan O'Keeffe replaces Tony Grant on 56, Keego replaces Gavin Whelan and suddenly Robbo, who has switched to the right seemed to have plenty of room and he starts to fire over crosses and exchange good passes with Shellyer and it looks like we are on our way and on just on 73 as we were starting to get slightly worried, Shelley sweeps over a wonderful ball which James Keddy blasts into the bottom corner for the first. But Galway, despite our lead looked dangerous on the wings and we seemed to be not too sure of ourselves in the middle, but we pressed on and Keego slid a number of super balls through to Eamon, but to no avail but then on 85 Stuart Byrned tigerishly fought for the ball in the middle, Keego picked it up and beat tow men with a wonderful body swerve to release a killer ball to Eamon who fired it to the net and we thought two up , five to go , surely it's our night but .............on 87 lack of concentration between Garto, Gdan and the defence and there was Murphy to hit a speculative lob which ended in the net and worse was to follow when a speculative shot from O'Brien from outside the box in the last minute snuck in for the equaliser.................................. to our collective and considered exasperation (and not a few instances of the Holy Name being taken in vain by many of my esteemed colleagues) but that's fupall as Ned Skully used to say. And it's a reminder (as if we needed to) that no points will be easily won from now on we'll hafta remember that its a game of two halves and the game isn't over until the final whistkle blows etc etc etc ........but luckit....its another point to add to our lead and another juicy one would be lovely a-Frida above in Dalyer.....chins up !!!!

sligoman
20/08/2007, 10:32 PM
Match report from the official Drogs website. Whoever wrote the article was either drunk or isn't familair with the English language...or both.That's typical Drogs website style, no surprise there.

KoemansCC
20/08/2007, 10:35 PM
Great result, thought the boys on the Eircom League forum were pulling my leg....

mypost
20/08/2007, 10:47 PM
hopefully keeps the title race going for a bit longer too,

It sure does. 9 points from 11 games is catchable. :)

gufcfan
20/08/2007, 11:10 PM
2-2 , 2 down and only 10 men, they manage to pull it back in the last 3 minutes. The tide is turning Friday could be the night to finally show our home support a bit of fight

Is it ****. How long have we been sayin that...

gufcfan
20/08/2007, 11:12 PM
El weekly didnt even bother to send a camera. they mentioned the result at the end.

We need a proper el show. to give them their dues they have done a job but we need better than this

KoemansCC
20/08/2007, 11:20 PM
Is it ****. How long have we been sayin that...

As Gerard Houllier once said, if you keep turning the corner you just end up where you started....

sligoman
20/08/2007, 11:21 PM
El weekly didnt even bother to send a camera.It's not their reponsibility, it's up to the home club. Plus do you really expect them to have it all edited that quick considering the show was on a couple of hours after the game finished?

feo123
20/08/2007, 11:29 PM
drawn away to cork, derry, UCD, drogeheda, ourselves and beat st pats aswell....whats in the tea in terryland? maybe it'll change now that the water's been given the all clear?

gufcfan
20/08/2007, 11:29 PM
As Gerard Houllier once said, if you keep turning the corner you just end up where you started....

I dont remember that but tis a gem all the same.

Final series of games what yee think?

A pessimistic view...

Aug 24 Home 7.45pm Sligo Rovers 1
Aug 31 Away 7.45pm Cork City 0
Sept 7 Home 7.45pm Drogheda Utd 0
Sept 14 Away 8pm Shamrock Rovers 0-1
Sept 28 Home 7.45pm St. Patrick's Ath 0-1
Oct 5 Home 7.45pm Longford Town 1-3
Oct 12 Away 7.45pm Bohemians 1
Oct 19 Away 7.45pm Bray Wanderers 0-1
Oct 26 Home 7.45pm Derry City 0-1
Nov 2 Away 7.45pm Waterford Utd 3?
Nov 9 Home 7.45pm UCD 1-3

JC_GUFC
21/08/2007, 12:37 AM
An amazing game tonight. The Drogheda report pretty much sums up the game. Wes was playing left back and was struggling. In the first half it was all Drogheda but United did well at the back and there weren't clear cut chances. The sending off didn't have much of an impact on the game as O'Flynn had hardly touched the ball!
When Drogheda changed their right winger they started to get a few more chances and that's where the first goal came from. About 2 mins before 2 shots had been blocked on the line and the follow up hit the post so the goal was coming. At 2-0 it looked like it was all over but then following a mix up in Drogheda's defence Murphy lobbed the ball into the empty goal from 30 yards to give us a chance.
Even at that stage I couldn't see us getting an equaliser but unbelievably Derek equalised with a 25 yard shot to the top corner!

It's hard to believe we got a point but hopefully it will give the players a lift for the final 3rd of the season.
Looking at our away record it shows we can compete with the top teams in the league and we should be able to climb away from the bottom 2.

Bring on Sligo!

MeathDrog
21/08/2007, 12:48 AM
That's typical Drogs website style, no surprise there.
Don't pay attention to the Drog's match reports on the website.Theyre always unbelieveably biased and blind to any faults of the team

Risteard
21/08/2007, 1:17 AM
Shellyer can't be used as a nickname surely.

Claret Murph
21/08/2007, 6:53 AM
I don't know 2 down with 3 mins left on the clock , down to 10 players and our captain is taken off . So as Roy of the Rovers takes the ball past five , six players .... etc etc etc .

One last thing please stay until the final whistle on Friday as Roy could be wearing his boots again .

gufct
21/08/2007, 8:22 AM
I think everyone has to play their part on friday night and that includes us the supporters.Friday is an Official Jersey day so lets see everyone dig out their jersies for the day whatever code they are and were them with pride.

Last night was unreal and I have seen a hell of a lot of gamesbut that even tops Robbie Keanes goal versus Germany. Fair play too all who travelled they will never forget last night and dont mind the begrudgers the team deserved that last night and it was Ironic that Derek Scored the all important goal.

Roll on Friday !!!!!!!!!!!!

galwaygirl
21/08/2007, 8:38 AM
.. and it was Ironic that Derek Scored the all important goal.

what do u mean by that?

gufct
21/08/2007, 8:45 AM
Just think back to the home game versus Drogheda Galway Girl ;)

Conor H
21/08/2007, 10:17 AM
Amazing stuff last night.

2 goals out of nowhere....largely thanks to their keeper.

Having said that we deserved nothing out of the game.gufct had the tinted glasses on again it seems.

Rogers was outstanding and that's why we weren't 4/5 -0 down come the end.
O Flynn's elbow on your man was downright stupid.It ensured we effectively had no strikers at all for the 2nd half.You could sense their goal coming....we stayed behind the ball for the enitire 2nd half and something was bound to give.

The positive is that will be a big confidence boost and hopefully the kickstart for us getting away from the relegation zone.

galwayhoop
21/08/2007, 10:32 AM
Plus do you really expect them to have it all edited that quick considering the show was on a couple of hours after the game finished?

Yes. sure didn't they show the goals from the Helsibourgs (spelling??) game on both TV3 and RTE news last week. and that was within a shorter time frame. fair enough if they couldn't be bothered but to say they didn't have time doesn't hold water.

galwayhoop
21/08/2007, 10:58 AM
and the name of the show is eircom LEAGUE weekly not eircom CUP weekly ;)

Tir Oilean
21/08/2007, 11:04 AM
They had the goals from the UCD game on their news programme the last week I know its a bit closer to get the tape to the but that was within an hour of the final whistle been blown! Id say it could be down to whoever records the game though in fairness

gufct
21/08/2007, 11:11 AM
Tinted Glasses .We get a draw with 10 men away against the runaway league leaders after being 2 nil down and your still not happy.:rolleyes:

galwayhoop
21/08/2007, 11:20 AM
They had the goals from the UCD game on their news programme the last week I know its a bit closer to get the tape to the but that was within an hour of the final whistle been blown!

i assume (and feel free to shoot me down if ye think that i'm wrong) that we are past the days of driving a VHS tape to the studio to put it into the video machine and show the highlights.

i would have thought that it is recorded digitally and emailed or downloaded on-line at this stage. just an assumption mind!!!!

galwayhoop
21/08/2007, 11:22 AM
personally i stayed up well past bedtime hoping to see the highlights and was disappointed when they weren't on. i was delighted when i saw the result on aertel and wanted to see the goals.

sligoman
21/08/2007, 11:57 AM
Tinted Glasses .We get a draw with 10 men away against the runaway league leaders after being 2 nil down and your still not happy.:rolleyes:In fairness he didn't say he wasn't happy. Just pointed out that ye didn't deserve anything from the game.

Conor H
21/08/2007, 12:11 PM
Tinted Glasses .We get a draw with 10 men away against the runaway league leaders after being 2 nil down and your still not happy.:rolleyes:

The complete opposite actually.It was sureal and i was ecstatic.Where did i say i wasn't happy?We deserved nothing from the game.Drogs were all over us for the entire game.If you think otherwise then you're for the birds.
Regardless,it was a brillaint result but not one we deserved.

In fairness he didn't say he wasn't happy. Just pointed out that ye didn't deserve anything from the game.

Thank you.

WoodquayBoy
21/08/2007, 12:33 PM
Yup, as I said in a previous thread, saying we didn't deserve a point does not equate with not being happy we got one. All United fans are thrilled to have got a point, especially so dramatically. It might not be deserved, but show me one fan who is not delighted with the point? 2 completely different things

geezer
21/08/2007, 4:44 PM
perhaps just plain obvious that it was 2 old time united boys that got us out of jail. Not the daft signings that tcs nearest and dearest have been monitoring, signing, and letting loose on an unsuspecting too bloody nice galway public

Tir Oilean
21/08/2007, 6:09 PM
Crucial point Geezer a point that has gone completely unnoticed in fact. I hope that these lads can rub off the new boys. I think that the new boys will get into it once we start winning again and it would be good to see them earn their stripes.

gufct
22/08/2007, 8:33 AM
Crucial point Geezer a point that has gone completely unnoticed in fact. I hope that these lads can rub off the new boys. I think that the new boys will get into it once we start winning again and it would be good to see them earn their stripes.

Well thats a joke with most posters on here lambasting Murphs for his performances this season. Rogers,Fitzgerald,Lester,Alan Keane & O'Halloran worked their asses off last night to get a result.Its very easy for people to put up stupid posts when they werent even at the game.

WoodquayBoy
22/08/2007, 8:53 AM
Who are the daft signings Geezer? Gary Rogers? Regi? John Fitzgerald? Derek Glynn? Stephen O'Flynn? Daryl Robson is on the way to becoming a good player, Lester is holding his own (stop singgering down the back) so the only daft ones would be Brinias, Fagan and James. He was unlucky with injuries to Armstrong and Mensah so we'll never know about them, and O'Halloran is doing a job in defence and midfield, he is obviously a short-term solution.
New boys have hit 12 league goals, the old brigade 6 . . what is your point again?

GuisaSaigon
22/08/2007, 9:01 AM
I don't think Fagan or James were daft signings either, maybe letting James go to Longford was daft,why should we help improve the squad of fellow relegation rivals? Fagan has impressed me at times. He's not exactly setting the league alight but he's not too bad either. One or two players who were kept on last season have proven to be daft signings.

WoodquayBoy
22/08/2007, 9:24 AM
Very true Saigon, and not keeping others were also head-scratchers. Philip Reilly better than Nigel Keady? Barry Moran better than David O'Dowd? Dave Cooke better than, well, anyone?

Tir Oilean
22/08/2007, 1:35 PM
Well thats a joke with most posters on here lambasting Murphs for his performances this season. Rogers,Fitzgerald,Lester,Alan Keane & O'Halloran worked their asses off last night to get a result.Its very easy for people to put up stupid posts when they werent even at the game.

I didnt lambast Murph in fact I said he started the season quite well. Yes he has tailed off recently but what player doesnt. I just think that it is an interesting point that it happened to be 2 players from last season that done the business on Monday night nothing wrong with that. It was a general comment not based on the match on Moday night.

gufct
22/08/2007, 2:18 PM
Tir the original post from geezer was one in a long line where he has slagged off everything T.C. has done and it was that post that was stupid. He has also said more or less the same thing in about 5 other threads.

geezer
22/08/2007, 5:00 PM
do say stupid things on this from time to time. But I do believe TC and his assistant have lost the plot, is a rookie and the players themselves will be the ones to come up trumps. Still i do very much hope he proves me wrong. I do think we will stay up, and in fairness to tc he is learning harsh lessons at GUFC i wish he would learn them at Kilkenny, Limerick with a 1st division team. I would sincerely doubt he is a fenlon,kenny in the making and I would like to see us cut our ties with him at seasons end. To be fair as well you couldnt argue much if we achieve the original objective to stay up and the MGMT decide to retain his services. Its just my opinion im a footie fan and results will change opinions not blind loyalty

WoodquayBoy
22/08/2007, 8:40 PM
Fair play Geezer, point taken. I thiknk he is doing all right, but here is something I want to see what others think about - is he a bit of a hypocrite demanding that players live locally, while he lives on the far sideof the country?:eek:
If he is in charge next year that is 1 thing I'd like to see changed, and this 'I can keep an eye on players around Dublin' line is a load of tosh.

geezer
22/08/2007, 9:59 PM
thats why results are so bad at home in terryland because TC is away from home and plans tactics accordingly. Then when we play in Leinster TC thinks we are at home.. strange, but then what would i know like a lot of fans if we win on friday TC will be brilliant....until the following week. confused? Your only as good as your last game

WoodquayBoy
22/08/2007, 10:01 PM
'Your only as good as your last game'

If that is the case, then Cousins isn't up to much as by all but one account, they were muck on Monday.

Paddyfield
22/08/2007, 10:50 PM
There are abiut 60 photos from the Drogs game on their website. No photos of Derek O'Brien's late late equaliser!:p

http://www.droghedaunited.ie/scripts/Gallery.asp?SeasonID=6&FixtureID=814

eamo1
23/08/2007, 12:32 AM
i bet on a draw at 3/1 with 10euros.i actually thought it would be 0-0 or maybe 1-1 but never 2-2 and def not in the manner it happened.g.u are always good odds for a draw away from home lads,they've paid for a few of my nights out recently.:)

Tir Oilean
23/08/2007, 9:56 AM
i bet on a draw at 3/1 with 10euros.i actually thought it would be 0-0 or maybe 1-1 but never 2-2 and def not in the manner it happened.g.u are always good odds for a draw away from home lads,they've paid for a few of my nights out recently.:)

Jeez Eamo1 and Baile Bán you'll ruin it all with posts like that!;) JC is Paddy Powers EL expert and he is on this forum daily I reckon!

galwayhoop
23/08/2007, 9:59 AM
P.S. EAMO1 - please tell me where you drink - i'd love to get away with spending 40 euro on a night out!!

Was just thinking the same :D

GuisaSaigon
23/08/2007, 11:13 AM
P.S. EAMO1 - please tell me where you drink - i'd love to get away with spending 40 euro on a night out!!

Spanish Arch?????????

gilberto_eire
23/08/2007, 3:10 PM
drinking fosters at €3 a pint would have you fairly hammered for €40;)

KoemansCC
23/08/2007, 6:35 PM
Goons of Tesco cider at €6 will get you fairly hammered too...