PDA

View Full Version : BOI Bogeyman Advert

pete
20/08/2007, 1:14 PM
Comment on adverts seems to be the thing on here these days so...

First we have an elf girl, now Dave Bogeyman...

Anyone else think a bogeyman trying to sell a Bank is strange to say the least? Linking banking with the Bogeyman isn't the wisest. Then again Irish Permanent use a gangster character to sell mortgages... :eek:

Ash
20/08/2007, 1:35 PM
Ulster Bank used a talking hippo a good few years ago!

Good old Henry Hippo!

Pauro 76
20/08/2007, 3:09 PM

Good old Henry Hippo!

How about First National and their buzzy bees?

shedite
20/08/2007, 3:16 PM
Anyone else think a bogeyman trying to sell a Bank is strange to say the least? Linking banking with the Bogeyman isn't the wisest. Then again Irish Permanent use a gangster character to sell mortgages... :eek:

The ads got you talking about the bank.

It must be doing something right!

superfrank
20/08/2007, 3:28 PM

Bingo.

I have to say I always liked the Churchill ads with the dog talking.

Bluebeard
20/08/2007, 4:13 PM
Bingo.

I have to say I always liked the Churchill ads with the dog talking.

Oooooooh No!

BohsPartisan
20/08/2007, 7:24 PM
Oooooooh No!

Ditto. Horrible ad.

dahamsta
21/08/2007, 10:54 AM
I've always thought that PTSB using a gangster from the Sopranos was just a bizarre idea.

Countyman
21/08/2007, 11:23 AM

Good old Henry Hippo!

I got twenty quid years ago for dressing up as Henry and handing out balloons to traumatised kids in the local paddys day parade.

Embarrasing but got ****ed that day with the money. Happy days.

pete
21/08/2007, 3:52 PM
I've always thought that PTSB using a gangster from the Sopranos was just a bizarre idea.

At last someone else... :cool:

Wolfie
21/08/2007, 4:02 PM
Anyone else think a bogeyman trying to sell a Bank is strange to say the least? Linking banking with the Bogeyman isn't the wisest.

Charlie Haughey wasn't available.

First
21/08/2007, 4:56 PM
I got twenty quid years ago for dressing up as Henry and handing out balloons to traumatised kids in the local paddys day parade.

Embarrasing but got ****ed that day with the money. Happy days.

Ah the good old days of getting ****ed on £20, you wouldn't go out the door now if thats all you had. The Euro the greatest rip off in Irish history and the ****ers didn't even wear balaclavas.

dcfcsteve
22/08/2007, 12:58 PM

Classic misunderstanding of advertising. This would only be true if people had never heard of BOI. But they hardly suffer from an awareness issue, so people talkling about them is irrelevant.

The big question is - what do you actually remember from the ad ? Is the bogeyman or elf pretty much all you remember ? If so, then it's a crap ad, as the drama overwhelms the message. They're looking to advertise their products - not make wacky ads...

John83
22/08/2007, 1:03 PM
Classic misunderstanding of advertising. This would only be true if people had never heard of BOI. But they hardly suffer from an awareness issue, so people talkling about them is irrelevant.

The big question is - what do you actually remember from the ad ? Is the bogeyman or elf pretty much all you remember ? If so, then it's a crap ad, as the drama overwhelms the message. They're looking to advertise their products - not make wacky ads...
Name a bank.

Wolfie
22/08/2007, 1:09 PM
Name a bank.

Chris Eubank.

Dodge
22/08/2007, 1:11 PM

He was doing the PTSB ads before he was in the Sopranos...

Although every other charachter he's ever played has been mafia related

razor
22/08/2007, 1:12 PM
Anyone else think a bogeyman trying to sell a Bank is strange to say the least? Linking banking with the Bogeyman isn't the wisest. Then again Irish Permanent use a gangster character to sell mortgages... :eek:I hope my little girl never sees it, she'll never sleep the night again.
Can honestly say I remembered the ad but not the bank only that Dave was looking for a new gaff, no more than that.

dcfcsteve
22/08/2007, 1:20 PM
Name a bank.

You serious ? :D

Off top of my head :

Northern
Ulster
TSB/Irish Permanent
AIB
First Trust
Anglo Irish Bank
National Irish Bank
Royal Bank of Scotland
Bank of Scotland
Barclays
HSBC
LLoyds
Abbey
Halifax
Coutts
Santander
Habib
Bank of America
Citibank
Dime
ING
BNP
Credit Suisse
First Boston
Credit Agricole
Credit Lyonnais

I could go on, but I can't see where you're coming from on this ? :confused:

Are you trying to suggest bank's have low awareness levels....?

TonyD
22/08/2007, 1:48 PM

All true. There are countless ads I've seen numerous times which would stick in my head, but I could never remember what the product was. Surely defeats the purpose.

On financial ads - my favourite is the Financial Regulator one "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is" :D

shedite
22/08/2007, 1:54 PM

They're not looking for publicity, granted, but are any banks? Some of the times these ads are on are certanily not the time people are thinking about credit cards, or mortgages, but maybe sometime, when you actually are thinking about them, the bank with the most advertising will pop into your head. And if not pop into your head, then at least it won't be a forgotton bank anyway.

John83
22/08/2007, 2:43 PM
I could go on, but I can't see where you're coming from on this ? :confused:

Are you trying to suggest bank's have low awareness levels....?
My point is that there are lots of banks, and that having a brand name that people think of when they think "bank" will help significantly.

I think that many people who honestly let a bank's name drop into their head after reading this thread would first think 'Bank of Irel... d'oh... I am not influenced by advertising". Most people who had seriously tried to do as I suggested would either have thought of BoI or "Well I definitely won't be writing Bank of Ireland here".

dcfcsteve
22/08/2007, 6:02 PM
My point is that there are lots of banks, and that having a brand name that people think of when they think "bank" will help significantly.

I think that many people who honestly let a bank's name drop into their head after reading this thread would first think 'Bank of Irel... d'oh... I am not influenced by advertising". Most people who had seriously tried to do as I suggested would either have thought of BoI or "Well I definitely won't be writing Bank of Ireland here".

You're not understanding advertising here John.

If the ad was designed to rasie awareness of the bank, then it would be successful if the BOI name dropped into people's heads when they thought of a bank. But the simple fact is that everyone in Ireland already knows that Bank of Ireland exist - and numerous other banks. Spending money on awareness raiisng is therefore pure money down the drain for the likes of BOI (unless its aimed at new segments - e.g. young people/students opening their first bank account). And precisely because of the problem you mention of having a plethora of banks in Ireland with high awareness levels, BOI need to seek to differentiate themselves through their products/services - not by telling people who already know they exist that they exist !

When you distill the role of advertising down to its core, it can only essentially do one of 3 things :

1) Raise awareness
2) Encourage trial (through a variety of ways - including brand building)
3) A combination of the above (but this is rare, as it is messy and reduces the impact of both messages).

As BOI have no awareness issue, therefore the aim of their advertising should be to encourage trial of their products.

Most people on here knew about the ads with the fairy and bogeyman, few could actually recall unprompted that it was BOI (myself included) and not a sole has been able to tell me what the ad is actually advertising. That makes it a sh!t ad - it has completely failed in meeting the brief of promoting/selling whatever product or service it is supposed to be.

Advertsing that works tends to be rather dull and very work-a-day (think Cilit Bang) - though that is why it works. It steers clear of drama that overwhelms the message, and the use of characters or contexts that are either unrealistic or completely unconnected to the product. What has a fairy or bogeyman got to do with Bank of Ireland or banking...? :confused:

Poor Student
22/08/2007, 9:46 PM
Steve, it takes one week for a bank's competitor to copy an original product. They all offer the same products more or less. Building a strong brand is the best way a bank has to differentiate itself from the others. It's a crap ad in my opinion but they're putting themselves out there. The very fact we're discussing it here is testament to the fact it's doing something. There's no threads in the last month discussing AIB but BOI has been brought up a few times.

Btw, he was Dave something or other but a customer with that name complained and he was changed to Dave Boogeyman.

pete
22/08/2007, 9:46 PM
I believe BOI are trying to sell one of their products with this advert. It could be current account, savings account or mortgages for all I know...

Poor Student
22/08/2007, 9:47 PM
I believe BOI are trying to sell one of their products with this advert. It could be current account, savings account or mortgages for all I know...

I think they're advertising their loan rates and free banking* offer.

*Must do a million and one things to avail of this offer.

BohsPartisan
22/08/2007, 10:02 PM
Btw, he was Dave something or other but a customer with that name complained and he was changed to Dave Boogeyman.

Dave Whelan wasn't it?
Funny because thats the name of an occasional Drogs poster! ;)

dcfcsteve
22/08/2007, 10:16 PM
Steve, it takes one week for a bank's competitor to copy an original product. They all offer the same products more or less. Building a strong brand is the best way a bank has to differentiate itself from the others. It's a crap ad in my opinion but they're putting themselves out there. The very fact we're discussing it here is testament to the fact it's doing something. There's no threads in the last month discussing AIB but BOI has been brought up a few times.

Bank's offerings are not all the same. There are market leading products available all the time - even amongst the high-street banks, which are the most homogenous. It is overly simplistic to give it the 'sure they're all just the same' line.

What is brand building, and how does an ad with a bogeyman and a fairy help in adding to consumer's ongoing image of a bank ? And what is the point of brand building is if it doesn't inevitably lead someone to trial your product or services....?

Having people talking about an ad does not mean it has worked. The fact that no-one here has a feckin clue what the ad is advertising says it all. Does that ad motivate you to enquire about or take-up BOI's products or services ? No. Hence it simply doesn't work as an ad in the way that it was intended.

pete
22/08/2007, 11:14 PM
The Halifax Ireland adverts are stupid but they really just trying to establish their brand so they don't concentrate on products too much.

The best bank adverts here I think are the Radobank ones which do well to establish a new different brand & sell their savings products very well.

Going further off topic but the new Guinness "its alive inside" is excellent even by Guinness high standards.

Poor Student
23/08/2007, 11:41 AM
Bank's offerings are not all the same. There are market leading products available all the time - even amongst the high-street banks, which are the most homogenous. It is overly simplistic to give it the 'sure they're all just the same' line.

Not really. They all offer relatively the same products with slightly varying rates which the general public find it hard to sift through and compare. Personal banking for example, most banks are offering the same things at the moment, credit interest current accounts, phone and internet banking, regular savers etc. If one bank comes up with something new another one will have it.

What is brand building, and how does an ad with a bogeyman and a fairy help in adding to consumer's ongoing image of a bank ? And what is the point of brand building is if it doesn't inevitably lead someone to trial your product or services....?

Like I say, I personally don't think it's a good ad but you can see what they're getting at, trying to put a humourous angle on starting out on life and you needs from the bank from the perspective of mythical creatures. Not my cup of tea but that's not to say others don't find it funny.

Having people talking about an ad does not mean it has worked. The fact that no-one here has a feckin clue what the ad is advertising says it all. Does that ad motivate you to enquire about or take-up BOI's products or services ? No. Hence it simply doesn't work as an ad in the way that it was intended.

As John pointed out, it's putting BOI in people's heads. They'll be battling with the other banks to win thousands of students accounts in a few weeks, can't do them any harm to be in the back of people's minds. As Pete points out with the Rabo ads, First Active offer a better rate on their electronic savings account but how many people think of them as the leading high interest savings providers?

Dodge
23/08/2007, 11:59 AM
The Halifax Ireland adverts are stupid but they really just trying to establish their brand so they don't concentrate on products too much.

The best bank adverts here I think are the Radobank ones which do well to establish a new different brand & sell their savings products very well.

I get the opposit reaction. I hate the rabobank ones and really like the Halifax ads