PDA

View Full Version : Keane's latest rant - direct at any Irish players?

Pages : [1] 2

Stuttgart88
20/08/2007, 10:53 AM
I'm loathe to pick on RMK's media rants, but I wonder which (if any) of his Irish players he was referring to when he said on Saturday:

"You find out more about people when you lose, who you want with you on the journey and who you don't, and I found out a hell of a lot today. There's a fine line between loyalty and stupidity and I've been stupid. It won't happen again."

I think McShane is safe.

Stokes was subbed, Miller came on.

Murphy played the full game while Connolly was on the bench throughout.

NeilMcD
20/08/2007, 10:54 AM
Both Yorke and Stokes were subbed and the Welsh guy Collins had a nightmare. I think thats who it was aimed at but what would I know as I am scum according to Keane.

bellavistaman
20/08/2007, 10:56 AM
McShane could be a absolute hero over there if he carries on th eway he started, never seen him give nothing but 100%. Fair play to him, thimk keanes comments wouldbe at the hole squad, nationality wouldnt come into it. I always get the feeling off Stokes, that he wouldnt Keanes sort of player, but the impression i get off keane hes very fond of him.

gustavo
20/08/2007, 10:56 AM
I'd say its more loyalty to the players that brought him up than loyalty to Irish players

bellavistaman
20/08/2007, 10:57 AM
I think thats who it was aimed at but what would I know as I am scum according to Keane.

What?

beautifulrock
20/08/2007, 11:00 AM
The Sunday Times suggested it was loyalty to Yorke and Stokes he (Keane) was referring to. From what I have seen of Stokes so far he does not look anything near a premiership player.

shakermaker1982
20/08/2007, 11:01 AM
Stokes, Anderson and Collins (if they had any sense) would have hid in the toilets on the coach back home!!!

geysir
20/08/2007, 11:22 AM
"There's a fine line between loyalty and stupidity and I've been stupid. It won't happen again "
I thought, for a brief second only, that he was referring to his life in general.

paul_oshea
20/08/2007, 11:43 AM
I thought, for a brief second only, that he was referring to his life in general.

more like ye hoped!!

Claret Murph
20/08/2007, 11:59 AM
I am sure on his next team sheet we will see who's in and who's out that should make it very clear .

SunderlandBohs
20/08/2007, 12:04 PM
Collins is one of the players, he stated that some players were here before & hadn't improved & he has stood by some players for to long. Stokes is the other. His atitude is terrible & hasn't lived up to the hype. Plus the fans have turned on him & Keane wasn't impressed with him last weekend either. He's done nothing since moving from Arsenal.Miller, Murphy & McShane are safe.

theworm2345
20/08/2007, 12:17 PM
Yes, stupid for not playing David Connolly, I agree :D

as_i_say
20/08/2007, 12:24 PM
Yeah its a shame about stokes alright. Looked completely out of his depth against spurs-didnt see wigan but presume he was same according to posts here.

Early days yet but its not looking to good for him.

Wolfie
20/08/2007, 12:38 PM
I seem to remember a 46 page thread extolling the greatness of Anthony Stokes.

Many believed he had great potential and that he was an exciting prospect.

Fair enough - he's had a disappointing start. He may not fulfill the over blown hype that was posted about him throughout the 46 pages of said thread.

That said, the potential he showed, albeit at a lower level, which prompted Sunderland to sign him in the first place, is still there.

Attitude and confidence can be altered, ability is either there or its not.

Give the lad a bit of time and reserve judgement.

Connolly is beyond saving though, Worm. :)

shanman2
20/08/2007, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=Wolfie;750260]I seem to remember a 46 page thread extolling the greatness of Anthony Stokes.

Fair enough - he's had a disappointing start. He may not fulfill the over blown hype that was posted about him throughout the 46 pages of said thread.

That said, the potential he showed, albeit at a lower level, which prompted Sunderland to sign him in the first place, is still there.

He is only 20 give him a break, heard he is fond of a drink maybe he was out the night before???:D

DeNiro
20/08/2007, 12:50 PM
Stokes' position is precarious. I don't think he'll last. Maybe he wasn't good enough in the first place. Keane is admitting mistakes here. Stokes could be one of them.

shakermaker1982
20/08/2007, 12:54 PM
still early days though surely........if Drogba was given two seasons to adjust to the PL then Stokes is surely entitled to at least a month!!!!

jbyrne
20/08/2007, 1:02 PM
What?

think it refers to the fact that keane described SOME bohs fans as scum for abusing him at a recent friendly. when asked what he thought of the abuse he got at the hands of some sections of the crowd keane responded... " every club has their scumbags"

youngirish
20/08/2007, 1:03 PM
I think Stokes getting a move to a lower tier club (preferrably Championship) would be the best for all concerned. He's not good enough at present for the Premiership and needs to be getting a decent run in the team to develop as a player.

Keane hasn't helped the lad either by playing him all over the place but rarely in his preferred position as a striker so he is as much to blame as anyone.

pete
20/08/2007, 1:11 PM
Roy Keane clearly is not as good a manager as some people think when he thought Yorke, a 35 year forward could play central midfield in the Premeir League. :eek:

McShane & Murphy are probably the only Irish players who will play regularly as they are fighters & grafters.

geysir
20/08/2007, 1:19 PM
It's simple

If a player improves we praise Keane

If a player does not improve we blame the player.

bellavistaman
20/08/2007, 2:49 PM
think it refers to the fact that keane described SOME bohs fans as scum for abusing him at a recent friendly. when asked what he thought of the abuse he got at the hands of some sections of the crowd keane responded... " every club has their scumbags"

Ha love it!:).Didnt hear about that at all. How true we all have them unfortunatly.

wallis
20/08/2007, 2:55 PM
There's a fine line between loyalty and stupidity and I've been stupid. It won't happen again

Shame he didnt realise that in Japan. :)

Jerry The Saint
20/08/2007, 3:01 PM
There's a fine line between loyalty and stupidity and I've been stupid. It won't happen again.

Maybe he was talking about his wife:confused: :eek:

tetsujin1979
20/08/2007, 3:19 PM
Roy Keane clearly is not as good a manager as some people think when he thought Yorke, a 35 year forward could play central midfield in the Premeir League. :eek:
It's not just Keane who thinks that, he played there for Trinidad in the World Cup

jebus
20/08/2007, 3:27 PM
I hear Keane's bright idea for survival is to pair Andy Cole back up with Dwight Yorke in the same team again, sure why doesn't he just throw on the boots again, sign Kasper from Man City, get Beckham on loan in january, and persuade David May to join the club altogether??

He's already looking more like the next Steve Bruce than the next Mark Hughes

John83
20/08/2007, 3:38 PM
...He's already looking more like the next Steve Bruce than the next Mark Hughes
That seems a bit premature. Keane's done well so far; to suggest he's crap because he's leaned on a few players he knows is a bit rich.

Dr. Ogba
20/08/2007, 3:43 PM
It's not just Keane who thinks that, he played there for Trinidad in the World Cup

not to mention playing there for the mighty Sydney FC!

bellavistaman
20/08/2007, 3:53 PM
I hear Keane's bright idea for survival is to pair Andy Cole back up with Dwight Yorke in the same team again, sure why doesn't he just throw on the boots again, sign Kasper from Man City, get Beckham on loan in january, and persuade David May to join the club altogether??

He's already looking more like the next Steve Bruce than the next Mark Hughes

Everything there would work bar David May for me, i've heard David May mentioned 2 or 3 times on this forum, all by you, weird fan of his are ya:eek:?Beckham, laughin all the way to the bank.

He'll be bigger than the two of them, in my opinion, wouldnt doubt the man for a second.

That seems a bit premature. Keane's done well so far; to suggest he's crap because he's leaned on a few players he knows is a bit rich.

Correct

not to mention playing there for the mighty Sydney FC!

Yorke isnt the worst, Richardson is total ****e, thought he would do way better, and he played with might Manchester United!

theworm2345
20/08/2007, 4:03 PM
I guess its possible he was talking about O'Donovan, perhaps he's not the player he thought he was and he's regretting his move. I did notice O'Donovan in playing for the reserves today. It would fit in to the loyalty category. Its only been a week, and of course, he is most likely talking about how it was stupid not to play Connolly (;)) but I suppose its possible

Wolfie
20/08/2007, 4:07 PM
"You find out more about people when you lose, who you want with you on the journey and who you don't, and I found out a hell of a lot today. There's a fine line between loyalty and stupidity and I've been stupid. It won't happen again."

The above quote would suggest he was taking issue with some players who actually played in the Wigan game and didn't play well.

Therefore, I wouldn't think O'Donovan is included in those comments just yet.

I think the full quote was "There's a fine line between loyalty and stupidity and I've been stupid. Why did I sign David Connolly!!!!!"

jbyrne
20/08/2007, 4:13 PM
i think yorke was subbed at HT so its probably him he was mainly referring to

tetsujin1979
20/08/2007, 4:15 PM
I guess its possible he was talking about O'Donovan, perhaps he's not the player he thought he was and he's regretting his move. I did notice O'Donovan in playing for the reserves today. It would fit in to the loyalty category. Its only been a week, and of course, he is most likely talking about how it was stupid not to play Connolly (;)) but I suppose its possible

Donovan's been out injured for a while, he's still getting his fitness back, which explains his appearance for the reserves
I doubt Keane was referring to him after only playing part of one game

sadloserkid
20/08/2007, 4:34 PM
Needless comments to be honest. As Pete pointed out above it can't have been a huge surprise to discover that Dwight Yorke couldn't boss premiership games (the standard is Australia is far lower and his Trinidad position is more about their resources than anything else). Don't think application was the problem with any of their players at the weekend and surely it's a bit early to be having pops at his players already? :confused:

theworm2345
20/08/2007, 4:44 PM
Needless comments to be honest. As Pete pointed out above it can't have been a huge surprise to discover that Dwight Yorke couldn't boss premiership games (the standard is Australia is far lower and his Trinidad position is more about their resources than anything else). Don't think application was the problem with any of their players at the weekend and surely it's a bit early to be having pops at his players already? :confused:
Having watched quite a few Sunderland matches over the past year, I would say that its not Yorke, as Yorke is on and off, but certainly can still cut it. Stokes, however, has been pretty bad almost everytime I've seen him.

The Legend
20/08/2007, 4:51 PM
i think he is also possibly referring to Daryl Murphy. Although, its mostly Yorke and Stokes.

pete
20/08/2007, 5:12 PM
Having watched quite a few Sunderland matches over the past year, I would say that its not Yorke, as Yorke is on and off, but certainly can still cut it. Stokes, however, has been pretty bad almost everytime I've seen him.

He started 2 games & I believe he was subbed at halftime in both games. Premier League midfield is different planet to Championship especially for an old forward.

With the amount of money Keane has spent I think the pressure may start soon if results don't improve. Not getting relegated should be the very minimum requirement when you spent 25m pounds Net. He seems to have a lot of forwards but no midfielders especially central ones. :confused:

dr_peepee
20/08/2007, 8:14 PM
Has to be Yorke. He's not gonna make a statement like that about a young player.... Is he?

eirebhoy
20/08/2007, 10:00 PM
I seem to remember a 46 page thread extolling the greatness of Anthony Stokes.

Connolly is beyond saving though, Worm. :)
Celtic was by far and away the best move for Stokes imo. Real pity he couldn't sort out terms. He has all the attributes to play up as the number 9. In fact, he bloody took the number 9 jersey at Sunderland, maybe to make a point. In terms of goalscoring he'd easily be Celtic's star striker imo.

I still have very high hope for Stokes. I just think he's at the wrong club. He needs to be the main striker in a team, not a support striker and certainly not a winger.

dr_peepee
20/08/2007, 10:28 PM
I believe so too..

But I think (hope) Keane is thinking longer term. The fad at the moment amongst the 'in' managers is to give young strikers experience in different attacking positions to make them a more well rounded player before finally nailing down the front spot. But Sunderland don't have the playing resources to 'carry' him in his auxiliary positions.

tetsujin1979
20/08/2007, 10:38 PM
I believe so too..

But I think (hope) Keane is thinking longer term. The fad at the moment amongst the 'in' managers is to give young strikers experience in different attacking positions to make them a more well rounded player before finally nailing down the front spot. But Sunderland don't have the playing resources to 'carry' him in his auxiliary positions.
didn't Moyes play Rooney in a few positions in midfield to do just this?

Billsthoughts
20/08/2007, 11:07 PM
Stokes is the other. His atitude is terrible & hasn't lived up to the hype. Plus the fans have turned on him & Keane wasn't impressed with him last weekend either.

shock horror the sunderland fans turn on their own pl;ayers. they have to be the worst fans in england.how many players have they done this to now?

Billsthoughts
20/08/2007, 11:12 PM
It's simple

If a player improves we praise Keane

If a player does not improve we blame the player.

have to say there is a little truth in this even if it is just typical of the anti keane tripe spouted by the little ireland forum clique.
its interesting that keanes post match comments seemed to talk about the players on his team as if they are nothing to do with him. he seems well able to play the media.

dr_peepee
20/08/2007, 11:41 PM
didn't Moyes play Rooney in a few positions in midfield to do just this?

He did surely. Wenger does it most. O'Neill done it with Agbonlahur. It was also mentioned as well in FourFourTwo over the last couple of months. I can see the logic in it if that is the case with Stokes at Sunderland, but you have to choose battles. Sunderland simply haven't got the quality in the other 9 outfield positions to carry Stokes as a square peg. And to be honest he's been more than a square peg when played out of position. He's been brutal.

I think he could play up front alongside Chopra in a good footballing side.

It's lazy speculation but sunderland could really do with Andy Reid.

geysir
20/08/2007, 11:56 PM
That should be easy for Roy to digest, he is not the right manager for a talented player like Stokes.

dr_peepee
21/08/2007, 12:27 AM
Republic of Ireland under-21 coach Don Givens was fuming last night after Sunderland striker Anthony Stokes failed to report for duty....

shakermaker1982
21/08/2007, 7:40 AM
4 points from 3 games and some of you are already pressing the panic button on Keane's reign at Sunderland..... let us wait till the end of the season before we can see whether Keane can cut it at the top level.

ofjames
21/08/2007, 9:09 AM
4 points from 3 games and some of you are already pressing the panic button on Keane's reign at Sunderland..... let us wait till the end of the season before we can see whether Keane can cut it at the top level.

Reason all these eejits are pressing the panic button is that around 50% of the posters on this forum would like nothing better but for keane to fail. in fact id say many go to bed praying for it.

But Roy'll be alrite. Ive no doubt about that. These foretellers of doom are the same guys that were laying in around christmas last year when sunderland lost three games on the bounce and were down mid-table. I take comfort in the fact that come may, after sunderland have stayed up with comfort...these guys will still be clinging on to the pathetic hope that some day roy might fail. not going to happen

John83
21/08/2007, 9:26 AM
Republic of Ireland under-21 coach Don Givens was fuming last night after Sunderland striker Anthony Stokes failed to report for duty....
The news articles on it said that Givens rang him and he said he was injured, that Keane had promised to sort it out.

finnpark
21/08/2007, 9:31 AM
Stokes, Anderson and Collins (if they had any sense) would have hid in the toilets on the coach back home!!!

What about that Nosworthy guy. God he was **** against the Irish teams.