PDA

View Full Version : NI boss targets Republic's Gibson

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

stiofain
19/08/2007, 5:06 PM
Northern Ireland boss Nigel Worthington is trying to persuade Manchester United prospect Darron Gibson to switch allegiance from the Republic.

The 19-year-old, who was born in Londonderry, is currently at the centre of a dispute between the two countries.

Gibson represented Northern Ireland at Under-16 level but then opted for the Republic as he has an Irish passport.

"I have spoken to him and emphasised how much I want him to be involved with Northern Ireland," said Worthington.

The Northern Ireland manager told the Sunday Life he felt the teenager should play for the country of his birth.

"I want him involved with Northern Ireland and it is a situation which has to be resolved."

Gibson has not played for the Repubilc of Ireland at senior level although he was a non-playnig substitute for a Euro 2008 qualifier against San Marino.
The Irish FA, which governs football in Northrn Ireland, is awaiting a Fifa ruling on Gibson's eligibility.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6953708.stm

Hands off Nigel!

FarBeag
19/08/2007, 6:21 PM
Saw Gibson play pre season and he was head and shoulders above most of the other players on the pitch. Apparently Fergie rates him hightly.He is a big lad with two good feet and is no doubt one for the future, ours that is not NI.

geysir
19/08/2007, 6:45 PM
Worthington has already approached Darron two or three times.
He is in the u21 squad for the game against Germany. He has declared that it is his dream to play for Ireland.
I wonder why would Worthington be so crass as to be publically quoted like this.
It's a bit like a spineless jilted partner making an ass of himself - "please please come back".

dr_peepee
19/08/2007, 6:59 PM
SSSSsssshhhhh!!! You'll wake EalingGreen.

He'll probbly go on loan before the end of August. I'd defo like to see more of him.

eelmonster
19/08/2007, 7:54 PM
Stan should select him for the squad to play Denmark.

co. down green
19/08/2007, 9:09 PM
Worthington is just making an ass of himself. If he really beleived that Darron had any interest in playing for the North, would he go running to the media?

How many times do these idiots need to be told.

As far as i'm aware, there were two, two minute phone conversations that were basically 'thanks, but no thanks'.

It's a well-worn tactic by the IFA, running to the media to try and inflence players decisions. Gibson's family launched a scathing attack on the IFA in January this year. They questioned the motivation of the IFA in going public with the issue when they had made no contact with him for over 2 years.

His uncle said at the time "Darron has a right to play for Ireland, he is an Irish citizen and has the same rights as everyone else on the island. The IFA cannot dictate to us regarding Darron’s right to play for his country .Darron has no interest in lining out for n.i and has always wanted to play for Ireland”

The issue was adressed and sorted by FIFA in October last year.

"On October 20th 2006, Fifa's Heinz Tannler, Director of Legal Division, and Corina Luck, Head of General Legal, wrote a joint letter to the IFA, which was copied to the FAI, In it, they informed the IFA that 'the existing situation in Northern Ireland allows players to choose whether they wish to represent Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland'."

Nigel Worthington said yesterday "He was born in the North so i think its just right he plays for the country he was born in"

Well Nigel, Darron is playing for his country, as are Tony Kane, Michael O'connor, Ruairi Harkin, Marc Wilson etc.. and for many of us football supporters in the North, we are quite content following our country, be it at home games in Dublin or away in Bratislava, Prague or Cardiff.

Get over it.

paul_oshea
19/08/2007, 9:12 PM
Marc Wilson

this lad was born in belfast, but with a name like that, what is his background? Don't care either way but it would certainly be a precedent.

co. down green
19/08/2007, 9:25 PM
Marc's from Aghagallon outside Lurgan in County Armagh. He signed a new two year deal with Portsmouth in June but is believed to be going out on loan to Bournemouth after he gets over a minor groin strain. He spent part of last season on loan with Bournemouth and manager Kevin Bond had tried to sign him permanently, but he was handed the new two deal by Harry Redknapp.

Mr_Parker
19/08/2007, 10:03 PM
Northern Ireland boss Nigel Worthington is trying to persuade Manchester United prospect Darron Gibson to switch allegiance from the Republic.

The 19-year-old, who was born in Londonderry, is currently at the centre of a dispute between the two countries.

Gibson represented Northern Ireland at Under-16 level but then opted for the Republic as he has an Irish passport.

"I have spoken to him and emphasised how much I want him to be involved with Northern Ireland," said Worthington.

The Northern Ireland manager told the Sunday Life he felt the teenager should play for the country of his birth.

"I want him involved with Northern Ireland and it is a situation which has to be resolved."

Gibson has not played for the Repubilc of Ireland at senior level although he was a non-playnig substitute for a Euro 2008 qualifier against San Marino.
The Irish FA, which governs football in Northrn Ireland, is awaiting a Fifa ruling on Gibson's eligibility.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6953708.stm

Hands off Nigel!

Worthington is being a complete hypocrite. Another quote of his from that article

"He's been born in the North so I think it's only right that the place of birth is the country that you play for."

So I wonder when he will be dropping all the NI players not born in the North? :rolleyes:

geysir
19/08/2007, 10:36 PM
"He's been born in the North"
Makes Stan sound almost erudite.

That article is in the Sunday Life

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/sport/article2876658.ece

soccerc
19/08/2007, 11:06 PM
Darron Gibson was scheduled to assemble with the Republic of Ireland Under-21 squad on Monday ahead of Tuesday’s friendly game against Germany in Furth. He has, however, now been drafted into the senior panel.

RogerMilla
20/08/2007, 9:00 AM
20 quid says he makes an appearance wed night , stan will make sure he is tied into the team.

geysir
20/08/2007, 10:03 AM
And hammer another soft nail into the persecuted wee minds.
Talking of which, Ealing's radar on all things "wee" must be out of focus.

Reading the Sunday Life article, they repeat the reason that Darron plays for Ireland "after switching allegiances because of a fall-out with Northern Ireland under-16 coaches"
Might be simpler if the media recognised that young lads want to play for the team of their country as they see it and as is their right.

paul_oshea
20/08/2007, 10:07 AM
Darron Gibson was scheduled to assemble with the Republic of Ireland Under-21 squad on Monday ahead of Tuesday’s friendly game against Germany in Furth. He has, however, now been drafted into the senior panel.

savage.

Stuttgart88
20/08/2007, 10:09 AM
I have to say it was a pretty shameful outburst by Worthington, stirring up controversy for the sake of it. He was never going to change Gibson's mind and all it does is serve to alienate the guy in the North. Maybe he was sending a message to any other young Irish lads up north with eyes on representimg the ROI.

Dr. Ogba
20/08/2007, 10:20 AM
20 quid says he makes an appearance wed night , stan will make sure he is tied into the team.

Wouldn't mind if he did anyway. Have never seen him play but we're short on CM's at the mo and could be well worth having a look at him on Wednesday...

youngirish
20/08/2007, 10:31 AM
Wouldn't mind if he did anyway. Have never seen him play but we're short on CM's at the mo and could be well worth having a look at him on Wednesday...

On that note whatever happened to Joey O'Brien? It really isn't looking good for him by the sounds of things. I still haven't even heard of him playing reserve team football yet nevermind making a claim for a starting place in the first team. It's very difficult for a young player to get back from such a long period of injury.

tetsujin1979
20/08/2007, 11:01 AM
More on bbc: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6954707.stm

youngirish
20/08/2007, 11:20 AM
Have a look at this. It's interesting how opinions of his elligibility differ:

http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=15485&st=1155

I was under the assumption if he did play for us against Denmark then he couldn't switch back to NI no matter what's said by EalingGreen on that thread.

geysir
20/08/2007, 11:26 AM
I couldn't be ársed reading another "wee" thread.
Once he is capped at senior level in an officially recognised intl. game (from a friendly to a world cup final) he is tied to Ireland. FIFA's rules since 2004.

greendeiseboy
20/08/2007, 11:42 AM
Would of thought by now it's obvious who he wants to play for and its not NI so hands off worthington - why dont you trawl scotland for players where most of your ancestors come from

eelmonster
20/08/2007, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately I followed the link and will forever regret those lost seconds. The wee people post the most sickening bile. Obviously they are unaware that the right to Irish citizenship to those born in the North is enshrined in the Agreement ratified by the British and Irish governments in 1998.

shakermaker1982
20/08/2007, 11:48 AM
Have a look at this. It's interesting how opinions of his elligibility differ:

http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=15485&st=1155

I was under the assumption if he did play for us against Denmark then he couldn't switch back to NI no matter what's said by EalingGreen on that thread.

I thought the same. Friendly or not.

EalingGreen
20/08/2007, 12:01 PM
(I know you're all secretly missing me, so here goes! ;))

As I see it, the question of Gibson's eligibility for the ROI has yet to be resolved. AFAIK, there was some correspondence last year between FIFA and the FAI, which the latter took to mean that Gibson et al were eligible for the ROI.
However, the IFA felt that the letter in question (referred to by Co.Down Green?) was incorrectly applied by FIFA to players in Gibson's position. Therefore, at the beginning of this year(?), they asked FIFA for a definitive determination. So far, at least, that has not been forthcoming. And in the Sunday Life article yesterday (admittedly not the most reliable of sources), it indicated that the latest news is that FIFA have written to the FAI seeking further information, but have yet to receive a reply. (Which, if true, would surprise me after all this time, seeing as it's such an important issue for the FAI)

Further, the SL quoted a rather "bullish" Howard Wells, possibly indicating that he knows something? If so, this might explain the timing of Worthington's latest intervention.

As for Worthington, I think some of the comments here misunderstand his situation. At the very least, it's merely a case of a new manager doing his best to increase the pool of players available to him, since regardless of the ROI's claim, and the player's own allegiances, the one thing we can say with certainty is that Gibson is eligible for NI. As such, Worthington's actions are no different from what any newly appointed manager's - inc. Steve Staunton when he took over.

Moreover, if the IFA is now convinced that Gibson is NOT eligible for the ROI, then all Worthington is actually saying to the player is that whatever went on in the past, neither he (NW) nor the IFA has closed the door on him.

In which case, it could be argued that his case is somewhat analogous to that of a certain Alan Kernaghan, who badly wanted to play for NI, found that the Rules did not allow this, and therefore had to look "elsewhere" for an Association which could accommodate him with international football...

P.S. IIRC, playing in a friendly international, even at senior level, doesn't tie in a player to any one country, though I'd need to check the Rules again. (Doesn't the Joe Lapira thread cover this?)

EalingGreen
20/08/2007, 12:17 PM
Unfortunately I followed the link and will forever regret those lost seconds. The wee people post the most sickening bile. Obviously they are unaware that the right to Irish citizenship to those born in the North is enshrined in the Agreement ratified by the British and Irish governments in 1998.

Citizenship is a political question and eligibility to represent a particular football association is a footballing question.

Governments deal with the former and FIFA with the latter. Therefore, they are not necessarily the same.

paul_oshea
20/08/2007, 12:20 PM
Governments deal with the former and FIFA with the latter. Therefore, they are not necessarily the same.

hmmm, i remember a particular foreign minister lobby fifa and it directlyaffected the outcome, so dont be so blind to that. everyone knows ( unfortunately perhaps ) that football and politics do criss-cross.

EalingGreen
20/08/2007, 12:23 PM
Would of thought by now it's obvious who he wants to play for and its not NI so hands off worthington - why dont you trawl scotland for players where most of your ancestors come from

I hardly think it appropriate for a supporter of the FAI team to cast aspersions on another Association's non-territorial recruitment policy - especially when it comes to eligbility via ancestry!

As for the NI team which will represent us on Wednesday, I'd be prepared to bet it will have more Irish born and bred players representing it than the ROI equivalent in Denmark...

P.S. As I said earlier, the one thing we can say with certainty in this whole affair is that Gibson is (and always has been) eligible to represent NI. ;)

paul_oshea
20/08/2007, 12:25 PM
is that Gibson is (and always has been) eligible to represent NI.

and Ireland. ;)

EalingGreen
20/08/2007, 12:31 PM
hmmm, i remember a particular foreign minister lobby fifa and it directlyaffected the outcome, so dont be so blind to that. everyone knows ( unfortunately perhaps ) that football and politics do criss-cross.

No, you remember a particular foreign minister* seek to claim the credit for a particular directive from FIFA. Anyone can write a letter to FIFA (or issue a Press Release) on such matters.

However, FIFA deal with all such issues strictly according to their own long-established procedures. In this case, it is crystal clear that they responded to the IFA, which acted through the usual channels.

* - Unless you find it hard to believe that a politician like Aherne would be so venial as to exploit the efforts of others for his own political gain...:eek:

EalingGreen
20/08/2007, 12:32 PM
and Ireland. ;)

Does he play Rugby? Or maybe you mean Cricket...;)

paul_oshea
20/08/2007, 12:41 PM
Unless you find it hard to believe that a politician like Aherne would be so venial as to exploit the efforts of others for his own political gain...

No for the gain of his constituents and his fellow countrymen and women ;)

geysir
20/08/2007, 1:06 PM
P.S. IIRC, playing in a friendly international, even at senior level, doesn't tie in a player to any one country, though I'd need to check the Rules again. (Doesn't the Joe Lapira thread cover this?)

You are having another one of your Dougal moments.

Because in the Lapira thread you admitted that you had a misconception of the FIFA rules
and wrote

In which case, if Lapira retains hope of representing the USA, he's in for a disappointment...

youngirish
20/08/2007, 1:08 PM

In fairness these are often very selective Dougal moments

eelmonster
20/08/2007, 1:15 PM
Citizenship is a political question and eligibility to represent a particular football association is a footballing question.

On the contrary, citizenship is precisely the means by which FIFA test a player's eligibility to play for a national team.

geysir
20/08/2007, 1:15 PM
As I see it, the question of Gibson's eligibility for the ROI has yet to be resolved. AFAIK, there was some correspondence last year between FIFA and the FAI, which the latter took to mean that Gibson et al were eligible for the ROI.
Darron is eligible now to play for Ireland. FIFA say so. He is registered as an Irish international.
If Darron plays on wed. he is tied forever.
Even if FIFA changed their minds on this issue after Darron has a senior cap the ruling would not apply to Darron.

EalingGreen
20/08/2007, 1:54 PM

Because in the Lapira thread you admitted that you had a misconception of the FIFA rules
and wrote

Having just re-read the Lapira thread, the sequence was this. Without my actually checking, I initially stated my belief that a friendly international does not tie a player in.

You then challenged this assertion, with a quotation from FIFA's regulations, which I accepted.

However, Metrostars then contradicted your stance, successfully I thought, by quoting the following from FIFA Regulations:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe...5fpdf%5f52.pdf
"2. With the exception of the conditions specified in par. 3 and 4 below, any Player who has already represented one Association in a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category or any type of football may not play an international match for a representative team of another Association."

You didn't accept his interpretation, but he "trumped your ace" by quoting the following Letter from the FAI:

"Hi Ciaran

Thank you for your query. According to FIFA regulations a player who has
already represented one Association in a match (either in full or part) in an
official competition or any category may not play an international match for a
representative team of another Association. However a player may request a
change of Association from FIFA up to his 21st birthday.

As Joe Lapira has only represented the Republic of Ireland in a friendly match,
he would not be tied to this Association.

I hope this information is of assistance to you. For further information you
can find the FIFA regulations on the FIFA website - www.fifa.com.

Kind regards

Mr. Chris Ryan
International Department Manager
Football Association of Ireland"

Consequently, without re-reading all the Regulations for myself, my original opinion is reinforced by Metrostars: i.e. that a friendly full international does not tie in a player.

However, I don't intend to take the trouble to check, since it is not relevant to Gibson's case. That is because he is either eligible for the ROI or he's not. If he is, then he's never going to play for NI, so that's an end to it.

If, however, he is not eligible to play for the ROI, then it is the FAI who will be punished should they select him. If it is merely a friendly, frankly there's not a lot FIFA can do in practical terms. However, should the FAI select an ineligible player for a competitive match, then they risk being docked points etc.
(Btw, it is this lack of an effective sanction for friendlies which I think explains why FIFA make a distinction between friendlies and competitive matches)

As for the player himself, I don't actually know whether they would also punish him. My suspicion (no more than that) is that if a player knows or should know that he is ineligible (e.g. by making a false declaration or profferring false documents etc), then he will also be punished. However, if a player makes an honest mistake*, especially following incorrect information from the Association selecting him, I doubt if FIFA would impose anything more than a nominal penalty (if that).

* - In this case, I have no doubt that Gibson is sincere.

soccerc
20/08/2007, 1:58 PM
You didn't accept his interpretation, but he "trumped your ace" by quoting the following Letter from the FAI:

"Hi Ciaran

Thank you for your query. According to FIFA regulations a player who has
already represented one Association in a match (either in full or part) in an
official competition or any category may not play an international match for a
representative team of another Association. However a player may request a
change of Association from FIFA up to his 21st birthday.

As Joe Lapira has only represented the Republic of Ireland in a friendly match,
he would not be tied to this Association.

I hope this information is of assistance to you. For further information you
can find the FIFA regulations on the FIFA website - www.fifa.com (http://www.fifa.com).

Kind regards

Mr. Chris Ryan*
International Department Manager
Football Association of Ireland"

..but Chris Ryan is female and not a mister:D

geysir
20/08/2007, 2:03 PM
You don't call a supposed letter from the FAI as an ace.
Read my next reply where his arguement was effectivly answered and he had no reply.
Metrostars was referring to a situation that had existed before 2004.

EalingGreen
20/08/2007, 2:37 PM
You don't call a supposed letter from the FAI as an ace.
Read my next reply where his arguement was effectivly answered and he had no reply.
Metrostars was referring to a situation that had existed before 2004.

Leaving aside the implication that Metrostars fabricated the ("supposed") letter, perhaps you are correct - frankly, I couldn't be arsed to follow it up further for myself.

However, the question of whether or not a friendly ties a player down to one Association for which he is eligible to the exclusion of another, is not relevant to the case of Darron Gibson.

We know he is eligible to represent the IFA through birthplace, parents, residence etc. We do not know whether he is also eligible to represent the FAI. That is something only FIFA can determine and until they do, no-one outside that organisation is in a position to pontificate.

Until now, I have been genuinely unsure as to which way FIFA will go - I'd have called it 50-50. However, Wells's comments in the SL Article are causing me to edge cautiously towards believing that FIFA may rule against the FAI.

Anyhow, we know that Worthington is keen to resolve this quickly if he is to have any chance, however slim, of having Gibson available for selection before the Euro Qualifiers are over.

I wonder is Stan equally as keen to know? As I said elsewhere, one way of expediting this would be if Stan picked DG for a full competitive match. Not even FIFA could could continue to sit on the fence in the face of a challenge by the ROI's opponents!

geysir
20/08/2007, 2:45 PM
Leaving aside the implication that Metrostars fabricated the ("supposed") letter, perhaps you are correct
There is absolutly no hint of an implication that Metrostars fabricated the letter. He merely reposted the letter that was posted in another forum.
He stated that quite clearly and what forum the letter was posted.

Even if the letter did come from the FAI, it is tripe.

RogerMilla
20/08/2007, 2:49 PM
just out of interest , once you are a passport holder of a country and havent represented any other country before , is there any FIFA rule which could prevent you ?

RogerMilla
20/08/2007, 2:51 PM
Even if the letter did come from the FAI, it is tripe.

no need for a qualification in the above sentence, the fact that it came from the FAI increases its chances of tripeness!

Stuttgart88
20/08/2007, 3:08 PM
Geysir's been right all along I think. I studied the rule a while back (2004 Unity Cup) and was 100% certain that when McGeady played a small part in one of those games he had committed himself to us categorically. His age was not the issue, the key was that it was an "A" international, as will Wednesday's game.

I can't look up the rules at work - security settings don't allow me to download pdf files from FIFA.com.

Nationality is what determines eligibility in the first place and isn't passport eligibility / possession the essential criterion?

geysir
20/08/2007, 3:19 PM
Stutts, fortunately for football there are a few holes in the firewall. If they had proper security settings at your workplace, conducive to work productivity, then the firewall would block out Footie as well.

RogerMilla
20/08/2007, 3:21 PM
Nationality is what determines eligibility in the first place and isn't passport eligibility / possession the essential criterion?

i would have thought so but i think i recall FIFA stopped Ailton the brazilian declaring for qatar even though they gave him a passport

co. down green
20/08/2007, 3:25 PM
Leaving aside the implication that Metrostars fabricated the ("supposed") letter, perhaps you are correct - frankly, I couldn't be arsed to follow it up further for myself.

However, the question of whether or not a friendly ties a player down to one Association for which he is eligible to the exclusion of another, is not relevant to the case of Darron Gibson.

We know he is eligible to represent the IFA through birthplace, parents, residence etc. We do not know whether he is also eligible to represent the FAI. That is something only FIFA can determine and until they do, no-one outside that organisation is in a position to pontificate.

Until now, I have been genuinely unsure as to which way FIFA will go - I'd have called it 50-50. However, Wells's comments in the SL Article are causing me to edge cautiously towards believing that FIFA may rule against the FAI.

Anyhow, we know that Worthington is keen to resolve this quickly if he is to have any chance, however slim, of having Gibson available for selection before the Euro Qualifiers are over.

I wonder is Stan equally as keen to know? As I said elsewhere, one way of expediting this would be if Stan picked DG for a full competitive match. Not even FIFA could could continue to sit on the fence in the face of a challenge by the ROI's opponents!

The FAI are under no doubts about Darron's international future.

Sunday Mirror - A spokesperson for the FAI, responding to the Worthington story said " Darron has been with us from under-age level and is completely commited to the Republic set-up. He has no interest in playing for ther North.

I think you will find that the ruling was made by Fifa's Heinz Tannler, Director of the Legal Division, and Corina Luck, Head of General Legal, in a joint letter to the IFA, which was copied to the FAI," in October 2006.

"In it, they informed the IFA that 'the existing situation in Northern Ireland allows players to choose whether they wish to represent Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland'

Worthington needs to stop the begging and go and find a few more German/Englishmen like Maik Taylor to represent 'Are We A Country'

tetsujin1979
20/08/2007, 3:27 PM
i would have thought so but i think i recall FIFA stopped Ailton the brazilian declaring for qatar even though they gave him a passport
They stopped him because he had no connection or allegiance to Qatar and was basically selling his nationality to play for Qatar: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/3523266.stm

geysir
20/08/2007, 3:37 PM
just out of interest , once you are a passport holder of a country and havent represented any other country before , is there any FIFA rule which could prevent you ?
In an example say of a Polish born footballer with an Irish Passport, uncapped at any level for Poland, is selected to play for Ireland.
Then FIFA says that he has to have at least 2 years residency here.

Stuttgart88
20/08/2007, 3:37 PM
If they had proper security settings at your workplace, conducive to work productivity, then the firewall would block out Footie as well. I think I'd quit.

Dr. Ogba
20/08/2007, 3:42 PM
Looks like we might be able to put this to bed!

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=28947

Hopefully Stan gives him a run out...