PDA

View Full Version : FAI introduce domestic compensation

pineapple stu
19/08/2007, 10:52 AM
Will presumably affect us a fair bit. Basically, a transfer fee of E500 for every year a player is at a youth club from 12 to 21. If we sign a player at 17 on average, that'd be E2,500 per signing, assuming they've been playing since 12.

http://www.eircomloi.ie:82/news-centre/news/news-39/index.xml

Bald Student
19/08/2007, 1:44 PM
It's only fair.

My only concern would be that it might discourage the smaller, first division, clubs from signing good young players. You might be less likely to give a player a chance if it will cost you 4,000 odd euro to do it. It might be better if the fee was higher for premier clubs than first division ones but I think it's a good system and I'm sure Eoin Hand knows what he's doing.

It will benefit UCDD as well as cost us if we're getting a portion of any of our alumni's transfer fees.

DmanDmythDledge
19/08/2007, 2:28 PM
It will benefit UCDD as well as cost us if we're getting a portion of any of our alumni's transfer fees.
I don't think it does. It says:

Under the mechanism, clubs will be entitled to compensation for training a player from his 12th to 21st birthday if he signs his first professional contract with an eircom League of Ireland club before his 23rd birthday.

so that rules out any fee for us I think.

With this system would we have to pay anything to our feeder club, Mount Merrion? Evan McMillan and Fran Moran are two players that have come from there in recent years.

Bald Student
19/08/2007, 3:08 PM
It also says:
"Should a professional player be transferred domestically during the course of a contract then 10 per cent of any compensation, or fee, paid to his former club shall be deducted and paid to the training club or clubs as a solidarity payment."

pineapple stu
19/08/2007, 6:59 PM
I would imagine "professional" means "non amateur".

I assume, if we have a player from 17 to 21, we're also automatically entitled to E2k of a transfer fee?

Schumi
19/08/2007, 7:02 PM
I assume, if we have a player from 17 to 21, we're also automatically entitled to E2k of a transfer fee?I think we'd only be entitled to that if he was an amateur with us. As quoted above, I think these payments are a once off when the player signs his first professional (or presumably semi-pro) contract.

pineapple stu
19/08/2007, 8:09 PM
Oh yeah. Bugger.

Poor Student
19/08/2007, 8:11 PM
Doesn't sound like that great a move for the domestic game. Will it not make youngesters more likely to get snapped up by foreign clubs as that amount will prove somewhat of a disincentive to take a punt on younger players?

DmanDmythDledge
19/08/2007, 11:05 PM
I assume, if we have a player from 17 to 21, we're also automatically entitled to E2k of a transfer fee?
No, just 10%* of the fee.

*which would be cut down to 4.4% as we would only have had the player for 4/9 development years.

John83
20/08/2007, 10:36 AM
Doesn't sound like that great a move for the domestic game. Will it not make youngesters more likely to get snapped up by foreign clubs as that amount will prove somewhat of a disincentive to take a punt on younger players?
I agree, but clubs will have to take them on as they'll need players for the A league and U21s.

harps1954
20/08/2007, 3:51 PM
What you will see happening is that LOI clubs will sign as many players as the possibly can on 'amateur contracts' and won't give players pro contracts until they are 23.

Can you imagine the likes of Kilkenny City who have an almost new team each season, mainly made up of junior players. If they sign 10 players at the start of a season who are for arguments sake all 21 or 22 years of age and have been playing for a junior club(s) since they were tweleve, that could mean a bill of (10 years x 10 players x 500 per year per player) €50,000 to be paid out.

Although I think the system is correct, it could mean clubs won't take the chance on signing young players from junior/intermediate football as much as they do now.

pineapple stu
20/08/2007, 5:11 PM
No, just 10%* of the fee.

*which would be cut down to 4.4% as we would only have had the player for 4/9 development years.
That's of any subsequent fee.

harps1954's point is interesting. E50k is about half of Kilkenny's budget. They'd have to be amateur to survive then, which could only weaken their position?

JR_Ewing
20/08/2007, 11:25 PM
it would appear that official feeder clubs can come to an arrangement with the LOI club whereby it isn't payable - I would imagine Mount Merrion will come to this arrangement with UCD one way or another. It suits them to have a sizeable number of players in the squad as it gives them higher profile at youth level, and they don't need the funding as much as other schoolboy clubs.

Poor Student
21/08/2007, 12:45 PM
We'd want to make Cherryt Orchard our feeder club in that case!

Tir Oilean
21/08/2007, 6:20 PM
Although I think the system is correct, it could mean clubs won't take the chance on signing young players from junior/intermediate football as much as they do now.

Great point Harps1954. It could have a bad effect on the chaces of youngsters joining EL clubs.