PDA

View Full Version : What's your 1st choice 11?

@ndy
08/04/2003, 3:41 PM
OK, so with the current squad, and the gaps left by first choice players Bazza and Clive, and that bloke who was our second choice striker and is now first choice at Boez, what 11 would you pick if u were in Dooly's shoes?

Mine would be

Pat Jennings (deserves the chance for 2 years bench warming)

Darragh Ryan
Tony Mac
Robbie Mac
Paddy Sullivan

Alan Cawley (pending cockiness and workrate!)
Gavin Whelan (looking like a very good player)
Alan McNally
John Martin

Sean Finn
Robbie Griffin

For Friday, seeing as McNally is out, i would probably play O'Donnell and Finn in the centre, as i wouldn't leave Whelan and Finn in there with their lack of experience against hunt and co. Up front i'd play Griffin and Gallen. If things weren't going well i'd push Finn up front and replace him with Whelan into the midfield.

@ndy
08/04/2003, 3:58 PM
Looking at this squad it makes me quite optimistic. There is competition for places everywhere.

Aberdonian Stu
08/04/2003, 5:09 PM
I guaran-damn-tee you that Bambi will start but I'm not picking him...

Pat Jennings

Darragh Ryan
Tony Mac
Robbie Mac
Paddy Sullivan

Alan Cawley
Mick O'Donnell
Alan McNally
Johnny Martin

Robbie Martin
Sean Finn

Schumi
08/04/2003, 5:59 PM
Can't see Bambi starting myself.

------------------- Jennings --------------------

Sullivan -- McAuley -- McDonnell -- Mahon

J. Martin ---- McNally ---- Finn ---- Cawley

----------- Griffin ------ R. Martin -------------

I thought Finn was more useful in midfield last season. Maybe have him behind the front two.

UCD_4_Life
08/04/2003, 6:20 PM
------------------- Jennings --------------------

Sullivan -- McAuley -- McDonnell - H.Davey

J. Martin ----------McNally----------- Cawley
--------------Finn------------R.Martin-----------
------------------Griffin/Gallen------------------

4-3-2-1, type thing. I can see Gallen doing well in that system if he could hold the ball up for us.

I'm also hoping that McNally will turn into a bit of a leader. I don't see anyone who'll run the midfield without Tony Mac other than possibly McNally. We may have to swap things around after a few weeks if things aren't working and put Tony in midfield.

@ndy
09/04/2003, 3:40 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
I'm hoping that McNally will turn into a bit of a leader. We may have to swap things around and put Tony in midfield.

Good point. Hopefully the pressure on the midfield will force them to perform. I agree that the midfield needs to find itself early, otherwise stick Alan Mahon beside Mr McAuley and Tony goes back to the centre. Perhaps another half season beside Tony would do Alan a world of good. He certainly looks like one of our more experienced players now tho...so thats great.

@ndy
09/04/2003, 3:42 PM
I'm a little worried about the depth of our squad. If Tony and Robbie Mac get injured, we're struggling at the back. If Alan Mcnally and one other midfielder get injured...etc etc....

It'll be grand hopefully and there are a good lot of as yet nameless young faces about...

pineapple stu
09/04/2003, 6:55 PM
More or less the same - I'd go with ...

Jennings
Mahon
McAuley
McDonnell (c)
Ryan
J. Martin
McNally
Cawley
O'Donnell
R. Martin
Finn

Hard on Bambi given his recent form. Sullivan on the bench is encouraging what with strength and all. But we could do with another one or two alright...

@ndy
10/04/2003, 11:34 AM
Interesting nobody has included Whelan. He was there all thru last season but we very rarely saw him. He comes in just behing Pat J in the famous name/family stakes, so i don't want that to affect my opinion, but he looks stronger than he did when i saw him play last (v Cherry Orchard i think in the cup) and he seems to be a very honest player in the couple of pre seasons we've had. With Mcnally out i expect he'll be told by Paul, off ye go, prove to me that you deserve a place in the mid.

I firmly believe that Finn is worth more to us up front. He shows exactly everything we lack now that Doyle is gone. Someone with the confidence to run at defenders with the ball, the ability to make chances for himself and get into good positions, and with a great eye for goal. I just don't think Robbie Martin has that, he gets knocked off the ball fierce easy and doesn't score enough goals. I think Gallen is the type of player who looks like he's ****e. Probably lacks confidence because of that. If he gets started in the first 5 games and manages to score in two of them, i'll have no problem with him keeping the place. The competition is good, and it's great that Alan is suspended because it means that with Tony out of the mid indefinitely (perhaps) and Alan out for the game, the rest of the lads all get to stake their claim.

Andy.

lefty
10/04/2003, 2:27 PM
Heres my selection for the 2003 season

Jennings

Sullivan
McAuley
McDonnell (C)
Ryan

Martin J
Cawley
McNally
Griffin

Martin R
Finn

@ndy
10/04/2003, 3:12 PM
So you would have Cawley in the centre? Or Griffin?

lefty
11/04/2003, 10:11 AM
I would have Cawley in the centre. I think he is a very good passer of the ball has a good reading of the game and can set up a lot of chances. As for Griffin I would play him on the wing. That position didnt work for him with Pats but i think it might for us. He will give us some added width and hopefully will bang in some goals as im hoping the midfield will aswell because we are lacking in strike power.