PDA

View Full Version : Best Prospect in the League.

cheifo
17/08/2007, 11:17 PM
I know we have done this topic before a few times before but its good now and then to look at something positive.Please dont just pick players from your own team.:)
I think the best young players I have seen(albeit on telly) are
Seamus Coleman(Sligo) I have watched him three times on TG4 and he looks better with each game.Is he eligible for Ireland u19s this year?Has to be picked.
Eric McGill(Shamrock Rovers) I have watched him three times and altough he looked a little rusty after coming back from injury(against Sligo) he was MOM against Pats in FAI s/f last year.
JP Kelly(very gifted as we all know)How do Bohs fans feel he is progressing?

I suppose I am thinking about players that are 21 or under.

LeixlipRed
17/08/2007, 11:45 PM
Two players that impressed me tonight were Brian Cash for Sligo and Karl Bermingham for Waterford. No idea if they're prospects or not. Cash played well against us in Tolka last year though I do remember

superfrank
18/08/2007, 12:23 AM
Gary McCabe has been doing very well for us. He's still only 18, afaik. Fairly skillful lad. Likes to run at players and can use both feet, very much in the Cristiano Ronaldo mould of player. Though still nowhere near the finished article.

It has to be said I haven't been terribly impressed with Emeika Onwubiko. He's supposed to be Ireland's next great thing but he certainly doesn't look terribly special. I know he's still only 16 or 17 and he's got plenty of time to develop but at the moment I really don't see what's so great about him. He's a really selfish player and he's got a bit of a temper too. I know he's up against fully grown men but sure Ronnie Whelan was doing the same back in the 70's for Home Farm.

I was highly impressed with Kevin Deery last season, especially his dead ball delivery. He seems technically gifted.

Risteard
18/08/2007, 12:23 AM
Darren Murphy would be ours anyway.

ofjames
18/08/2007, 12:29 AM
Karl Bermingham didnt make the grade at Man City, he was part of their very good youth side that included Paddy McCarthy, Stephen Elliott, Stephen Ireland, Willo Flood etc... a loan move to Burnley didnt work out for him either. I wasnt aware he ended up at Waterford

Shedzer
18/08/2007, 12:32 AM
Seamie Coleman and JP Kelly

MeathDrog
18/08/2007, 1:07 AM
Keith Foy :D

Risteard
18/08/2007, 1:15 AM
Not unless you want to sell portions of the surface as real estate.

DmanDmythDledge
18/08/2007, 1:20 AM
Seamus Coleman and Gary McCabe.

Plenty at UCD, too many to name but I'd watch out for Ronan Finn in particular.

The Lilywhites
18/08/2007, 2:33 AM
Shaun Williams - http://www.dundalkfc.com/1stteam/ShaunWilliams.html

Midgit
18/08/2007, 4:04 AM
From what i seen this year:
Seamus Coleman(Sligo Rovers)
Gary McCabe(Bray)

harry crumb
18/08/2007, 8:45 AM
Darren Murphy at Cork City looks a cracking player.

stann
18/08/2007, 9:15 AM
Karl Bermingham didnt make the grade at Man City, he was part of their very good youth side that included Paddy McCarthy, Stephen Elliott, Stephen Ireland, Willo Flood etc... a loan move to Burnley didnt work out for him either. I wasnt aware he ended up at Waterford

Get you!
I think the phrase you're looking for is 'I wasn't aware he was lucky enough to be signed by Waterford'. :D

Actually I'd say he's gone past the prospect stage, as he's had a few clubs, though he's only a year older than our best prospect which is undoubtedly Kenny Browne. That haircut will have to go though!
League-wide it's Coleman, no question.

bellavistaman
18/08/2007, 9:19 AM
Darren Murphy at Cork City looks a cracking player.

class

Soper
18/08/2007, 9:33 AM
I was over in June/July for 3 matches, and I can say without bias that Seamus Coleman is going to get even better. A player with great potential, and it is good that we can attract young players like that to the league, rather than them being pimped too english clubs. Much as it pains me to say, I think Powell for Bohs is going to be good. Derek Glynn is a bit above a prospect now, so I won't include him. Some of the young Shams players look like they're going places. I haven't really seen any others.

Sam_Heggy
18/08/2007, 9:37 AM
Seamie Coleman and JP Kelly

:( another Donegal man to slip through the net. (have to admit its a very poor net)

Battery Rover
18/08/2007, 10:48 AM
It has to be said I haven't been terribly impressed with Emeika Onwubiko. He's supposed to be Ireland's next great thing but he certainly doesn't look terribly special

Saw him play in the recent under 19s matches played in Athlone and was quite impressed with him. He has real speed and is very strong on the ball. West Brom apparently going to sign him.

What do people think of Athlone player Brian McCarthy. He is a young tall centre half that has really matured this season. He will definitely go onto better things. Shamrock Rovers lads on here would have seen him playing against them in the League Cup. He was marking Ger Rowe that night I think.

adamcarr
18/08/2007, 10:50 AM
Darren Murphy is top class, much better than Healy and Farrelly yet he still got dropped as soon as they arrived and hasn't started since.:mad:

Da Real Rover
18/08/2007, 10:59 AM
It has to be said I haven't been terribly impressed with Emeika Onwubiko. He's supposed to be Ireland's next great thing but he certainly doesn't look terribly special. I know he's still only 16 or 17 and he's got plenty of time to develop but at the moment I really don't see what's so great about him. He's a really selfish player and he's got a bit of a temper too. I know he's up against fully grown men but sure Ronnie Whelan was doing the same back in the 70's for Home Farm.

No offence but he was absolutely brutal against us, just got in the way for the defenders and ran around like a headless chicken when he came on, i thought he was poor.

Without a shadow of a doubt its shamey coleman, never once seen a player get the better of him, a class apart, even at his age. And best of all, we have him for next season aswell.

Conor H
18/08/2007, 11:05 AM
Your man Coleman for Sligo is a great talent.In fact Sligo have quite a few decent players and the likes of Faz and Judge would be up there to if it wasn't for their age.

Derek Glynn is still a prospect aswell definitely.

De Town
18/08/2007, 11:08 AM
Two players that impressed me tonight were Brian Cash for Sligo and Karl Bermingham for Waterford. No idea if they're prospects or not. Cash played well against us in Tolka last year though I do remember

Wasnt terribly impressed with him myself. Coleman, Finn and McCabe are all big talents alright.

gustavo
18/08/2007, 11:11 AM
Cash isnt that great , Coleman is exceptional , the young Bray guy I thought didnt do that well against us , but you could see that there were flashes of talent that could develop

Da Real Rover
18/08/2007, 11:26 AM
Cash isnt that great , Coleman is exceptional , the young Bray guy I thought didnt do that well against us , but you could see that there were flashes of talent that could develop

Have a major disagreement with you there gustavo, Cash when fit is a superb player, top quality winger who on his day can leave any defender for dead.

sligoman
18/08/2007, 3:34 PM
Your man Coleman for Sligo is a great talent.In fact Sligo have quite a few decent players and the likes of Faz and Judge would be up there to if it wasn't for their age.

Derek Glynn is still a prospect aswell definitely.Faz is 22 and Judge is 21. Glynn is 24. Your point makes no sense?:confused: ;)

Red&White Rover
18/08/2007, 3:37 PM

Derek Glynn is still a prospect aswell definitely.

Faz and Judgey are still very young...

Coleman, is by far the best young player i've seen this season...

and also i thought Cash was muck last night...

Drogman.
18/08/2007, 4:01 PM
Shaun Williams - http://www.dundalkfc.com/1stteam/ShaunWilliams.html

He's our player.

Don't ruin him before he comes back.

gustavo
18/08/2007, 6:46 PM
of course Bohemians :( Chris Turner is a great prospect too

pineapple stu
18/08/2007, 7:05 PM
Plenty at UCD, too many to name but I'd watch out for Ronan Finn in particular.
Think Shane McFaul's possibly a better player, to be honest.

Ian Bermingham's 18, I think - quality player.

Rovers fan
18/08/2007, 7:23 PM
turner,glynn and coleman

pineapple stu
18/08/2007, 7:28 PM
He's been injured but is back in the team now.

We've also got ridiculous strength in depth in centre-mid - McDonnell, Finn, McFaul, Bolger, Crowley and King.

kdjaC
18/08/2007, 8:33 PM
Noel haverty on loan at Shels atm ireland youth all the way up next hopefully U21s for him.

kdjac

sfc red
19/08/2007, 12:14 AM
James Chambers :cool:

monzo
19/08/2007, 10:53 PM
Did Finn play for Dundalk on loan last year? I think I remember him looking a fairly decent player.

James Doherty for Harps is even at this stage a pretty good right back.

holidaysong
19/08/2007, 11:35 PM
Did Finn play for Dundalk on loan last year? I think I remember him looking a fairly decent player.

James Doherty for Harps is even at this stage a pretty good right back.

No he wasn't on loan as far as I remember. He was great for us last year - pity he emigrated to the US. :(

dfx-
19/08/2007, 11:38 PM
Barry Murphy and Ger O'Brien.

SunderlandBohs
20/08/2007, 10:05 AM
From Bohs, Brian Murphy & Conor Powell. It's only a matter of time before Murphy moves across the water.

bellavistaman
20/08/2007, 10:14 AM
From Cobh, Mikey O'Shea, Gareth Cambrdige, Davin O Neill, John Meade all under 23, cambridge and o'shea under 20. Could have massive futures, and Guthries only 22/23 aswell.

Schumi
20/08/2007, 10:54 AM
Did Finn play for Dundalk on loan last year? I think I remember him looking a fairly decent player.Different guy. Ronan Finn is playing with us now, Sean Finn who used to play with us is the guy who was with Dundalk.

WoodquayBoy
20/08/2007, 11:13 AM
Coleman (Sligo), Finn and Fitzgerald (UCD), Kearney (Cork), McGill (Rovers), Higgins (Derry) Kelly (Bohs) are all young-ish players who have impressed me, and from our own lot, Derek Glynn is handy too, but he needs a target man up front with him - he didn't look half as dangerous when Stephen O'Flynn was missing for half a dozen games

Kildare Lad
20/08/2007, 11:54 AM
Ger O'Brien.

Great player while he played for us

half_full
20/08/2007, 12:09 PM
as Stann said it would have to be Kenny Browne for us, going to be a great player:)

diamond
20/08/2007, 12:36 PM
i like the way craptown take our player on loan and then list us as a previous club!
williams is good though.
may break into the drogs team next season. not quite ready from prem football yet.