PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Scotsman
08/04/2003, 10:00 AM
Hello I hope you don't mind a Scotsman joining your Forum.

I was just reading some of the comments about Glasgow Celtic.

I'm a huge Celtic fan and was a wee bit surprised at some of the reactions to the Caley Thistle result. - Poor display from Celtic.

I can understand what you mean about the "Plastic Paddy's" - Alot of Celtic fans do go OTT with the whole Irish thing.

Personally I don't - I'm not Irish and don't pretend to be.

Alot of genuine Celtic fans do have stong Irish links and as you are all well aware an Irish priest did start the football club and named Celtic so that Scots and Irish could suport the team.

Obviously at that time alot of Irish immigrants were in Glasgow at that point and the majority of the fans were Irish - As time went on alot of Scottish fans also moved into the East End of Glasgow and supported the Hoops.

The reason the Tri-Colour and the Irish songs are song are part to keep their heritage from an Irish beginning to unfortunately secterian reasons.

Celtic are as much as Scottish team as an Irish and the combination of both similar cultures creats a fantastic team and I am proud to be associated with such a great club.

I have also been privileged enough to meet some fantastic Irish people.

Most Scots and in particular Celtic fans don't class ourselves as being British - To me British is being English and I'm certailnly not English!!

Thanks and I hope I've not offended or upset anyone and I hope I'll be welcomed back to your Forum as I would like to talk with some Irish and also get their point of view on Football.

Ta Robert

The Sheliban
08/04/2003, 11:19 AM
Just a couple of points, Robert.
Hibernians were also founded by the Irish, yet there is no mad scramble over here to support them. Which leads one to assume that Celtic fans are mere glory hunters. Would they still be as supported if they were playing Falkirk and Stenhousemuir every week.
The other point is that over here, Celtic are an easy team to support. Their only rivals are Rangers, and not many people are going to walk around in a Rangers' shirt, so its safe enough. An "easy" option.
What bugs a lot of us though, is the fact that thousands of people over here support a Scottish team, when football grounds over here are three-quarters empty. I'm sure the same is true in Scotland - people from say, Stranraer or Dumfries will support Celtic or Rangers, rather than the local side. And, whatever about the quality of our league, its definitely more exciting than the highly predictable fare served up in Caledonia.

Scotsman
08/04/2003, 12:17 PM
That's true Celtic and Hibs were founded by Irish - Sure there are some glory hunters in Celtic fans but that is the same in any Big club.

Bear in mind though Glasgow is a bigger place than Edinburgh and with this in mind Glasgow teams have generally large fan bases.

Even Partick Thistle have a large following.

The Spl is predictable but so is the Premiership - Now I'm not trying to suggest that the Spl has the same quality as the Pemiership because it has nowhere near the quslity of the Premiership.

The Premiership certainly is entertaining but how many teams can win this league - Man Utd and Arsenal.

Scots acknowledge the standard of our league is poor and we will be the first to admit that - Don't know much about the Irish league so I cannot comment on the quality of this - Would be unfair of me to pass comment on something I've not seen.

I was just a wee bit surprised at some negativity coming Celtic's way especially from Ireland.

I always thought Scotland and Ireland had some affiliation - Sorry if anyone takes offence as none intended.

One of the comments was calling us West Brits B@st@rds.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course and that's respected - I certainly hate being called British.

It surprises me the number of Irish who support English teams.

Hopefully the Spl can improve and I know that alot of Irish fans still support the Hoops and long may this continue.

The combination of Irish and Scots culture is unique and I love it.

Thanks for listening to a de-ranged Scotsman.

:)

Dodge
08/04/2003, 12:33 PM
The problem isn't with any Scots supporting Celtic and being proud of their heritage. the problem is with Irsih people supporting Celtic because Celtic are Irish, when they won't support any of the local teams.

Scotsman
08/04/2003, 1:04 PM
Right Ok I see where you are coming from.

Alot of Scots get annoyed at that also. - Why not support your local team??

I understand this - I support Celtic for a number of reasons.

I was brought up with the glory of Celtic through family and friends and also that fact that I am RC has bearing on this as well.

The problem Scotland has, is that it's a small country like Ireland and most people do support Celtic or Rangers.

I am originally from a place called Airdrie and they have a local team but my team is Celtic and always has been.

Airdrie still gets a large following however.

So do some Irish people hate Celtic as a result of this?

The Sheliban
08/04/2003, 1:11 PM
Its actually quite a new phenomenon.
For years, if you spoke out against Celtic, it was almost like being anti-Irish.
However crowds are slowly starting to rise in the eL, and with it, some fans are standing back and saying , hey, isn't it more anti-Irish to be following a British team than an Irish one?
Having said that, eL followers are still very much in a minority in a country that will follow Arsenal. Liverpool and Man Utd, and came out and cheered for Spurs when they lost 3-1 to Bohemians recently. Celtic are still huge over here, even among the eL contingent, so if some of us appear to be anti-Celtic, we can't claim to be representative of the great unwashed.

Dodge
08/04/2003, 1:21 PM
Yeah as Sheliban said we're definitely in the minority and thats the problem. If our league was getting fairly big crowds and the media attention we think it deserves, nobody would mind anybody having Celtic as their second team. Its just when I hear people claiming to support Celtic solely on the basis of their Irish connections and paying no attention to the “REAL IRISH” teams, thats when I get annoyed

Macy
08/04/2003, 1:22 PM
Originally posted by Scotsman
So do some Irish people hate Celtic as a result of this?
Pretty much.... Like Dodge was saying it's whole Celtic are Irish bullsh!t.... No one doubts they were founded by an Irish manand garner support from the Irish emigrants, but that doesn't make them an Irish team.... Irish teams play in the National League of Ireland, not the SPL, but the way the bar stoolers and the media go on you'd swear that they were the national team or something.....

There are plently of other teams that have an "Irish/RC Tradition", and not just Hibs and Dundee (United?).... For example everyone's arch nemisis Manchester United has always had strong Irish links (e.g. When they were renamed from Newton Heath the two choices were Manchester United and Manchester Celtic; They are traditionally the catholic club of Manchester; It was often said United had the best youth system because they had the best scouting network - all the catholic priests; Right into the 80's had a RC Chaplin etc etc), yet nobody would claim they are an irish club...

SPL and EPL are foreign leagues, containing foreign clubs - eL fans have a problem that Irish people support these above, and to the detriment of, our own clubs..... whilst at the same time travelling week in week out in their hundreds to spout republican bull sh!t in a scottish ground...

Scotsman
08/04/2003, 1:28 PM
I have to say I'm enjoying this wee conversation - Have to get out more!!!

Celtic to me is more than a Football team - I absolutely love the Hoops and going to Celtic games are amazing!!!

Paradise is absolutely fantastic - The Spl is poor and as a Scotsman is pains me to admit this - Look at Scotland's national team now - We've fell away beyond believe.

What annoys me more is that the English just love to see the Scots fall flat on their face and when Celtic beat Blackburn and Liverpool, in the manner they did so brings me great joy.

From the Premiership I like Man Utd.

One of the posts condoned the spit of the Liverpool player and said it was magic - His post read as if he really hated Celtic fans.

Does the fact that Celtic sing Irish tunes and fly Tri-Colurs annoy Irish people??

Scotsman
08/04/2003, 2:23 PM
It seems this issue is also in Scotland as well.

Most of you seem to be annoyed with the fact that alot of your fellow countrymen support a Scottish team and not an Irish team.

Alot of people in Scotland seem to be annoyed at how much Celtic continue the irish theme.

It's a tricky situation - Celtic don't want to lose the fact that they were started by an Irishman and that has to be applauded.

Alot of people do jump on the bandwagon and people who have no connection with Ireland claim to have.

Celtic Football Club is not just about that - They are also very much Scottish - They were founded in Scotland, play in the Spl - When they won in 1967 all the players were from Scotland.

Celtic as a club are Scots/Irish and as I have said before brings a brilliant mix as Scots and Irish as far I'm concerned are the best people in the world.

Alot of the reasons the flags are flown etc is due to religion.

As well as keeping the heritage of the founder/s there is also the bigoted side to the equation. People who have no connection with Ireland will fly flags, sing the rebels.

Everyone or most know that Rangers would not sign catholics and Celtic was started by catholics.

I personally feel there is too much " I'm Irish" when really there not Irish - Maybe their Great, Great, Great Grandparents were.

In my mother's side nearly ALL have an Irish surname but I don't think I'm Irish - Certainly I have soft spot for the Irish.

The point I'm trying make, all be it badly, is that Celtic's intentions are genuine but maybe they do take it a wee bit too far.

Thanks - Again if anyone was annoyed or offended it was not my intention.

The Sheliban
08/04/2003, 2:31 PM
I think most of our ire is directed, not at Celtic, but at the barstool brigade over here.
What are Celtic's PR people supposed to do - make themselves unappealing to thousands of Irish fans? Fair play to Celtic, if we could get a quarter of their marketing acumen, we'd have no complaints.
Basically we moan about the barstool brigade, but basically our Pr/ marketing has been pathetic, so its hardly surprising that this monster has been created [the barstool fan, not Celtic!]

Scotsman
08/04/2003, 2:42 PM
So what's the Irish league like then - Is the quality good - How many teams compete.

I thought there was a bigger demand for the Gaelic sport.

Is that the case??

wws
08/04/2003, 3:20 PM
its hard to say
for instance if you're a hardcore fan , like basically ppl who post on these message boards than watching your beloved UCD slug it out to a glorious no score draw with league champions Bohemians may be the best thing you've seen football wise but a neutral watchin the same game would go "eh this place is a dump, theres no fans, why are those players murdering that football?" etc etc

basically the quality is hit and miss with the general media perception here being that it has suddenly improved dramitaclly in the last 2 years (which is basically untrue as the standard has always been ok its just no-one in the media gave a f.uck before)

Brian Kerr managed Ireland to a win over scotland recently and whatever about his track record in youth football he's basically a product of the league of ireland scene and is still closely related to saint patricks athletic

once he made it to the ireland job people started to have more "respect" for their own homegrown league and the media are definitely less inclined to dismiss it out of hand as they did pre brian kerr.

The current Irish asst manager, noel o reilly coached Saint Pats to a league win as recently as 1998 so people are beginning to acknowledge that the quality of our homegrown football people can be world class at times

the players now are full time in nearly half of the prem clubs and all clubs will probably follow this route now.

in europe

recent times v scots

pats drew with celtic 0-0 parkhead
bohs knocked out aberdeen
shels got a result v killie and scored 3 v rangers!

so irish teams would fancy having a go at even the biggest of scots clubs

Scotsman
08/04/2003, 4:03 PM
Cool

Any team that beats Rangers is OK with me!!!

Aberdeen are pants - they used to be really good - 80's winning Europe etc...

Killie - Pretty boring - Just like alot of Scottish teams.

Some good young Bhoys coming through in Scotland and hopefully that can help the Scottish game.

Motherwell has McFadden - Have you seen him play?? - Exciting.

He's a wee bit of a hot head but should come good.

Maloney, Smith, Crainey - These are all Celtic players.

Hopefully the Scottish league can get interesting, although I cannot see in the near future - Who knows with the current climate finicially!!

If not then the Scottish National team MUST get better as they are pants at the moment.

I'd like to see a Scottish/Irish league - I think that would be good - Don't know if it would work though.

I don't want Celtic to move to the Premiership.

I think a European league sounds good.

Maybe Irish teams could get in that as well.

Just a pity Scotland and Ireland 2008 fell through - what a party that would have been!!!

Thanks

Real ale Madrid
08/04/2003, 5:36 PM
$hel$ scored 3 against rangers............but they didn't win!

rangers won 7-3 on aggregate.

Scotsman
08/04/2003, 6:02 PM
I'd love to see Colin Healy play for the Hoops again.

He's a very good player and I think with Paul Lambert could link up well - Celtic's midfiled is lacking a playmaker - I know Colin Healy is not a playmaker but in my opinion merits a start over Neil Lennon.

Ireland has some great players and Scotland has none apart from prospects.

:cool:

cfcgirl
08/04/2003, 7:24 PM
ireland has some great players but far to often there not irish enoughh for my likeing. there grandparents are irish.I f my grandparents were english i wouldnt consider my self playing for england. in time hopefully more loi players will play for there country.

thecorner
08/04/2003, 8:48 PM
how is liam miller doing over. us corkonians like to watch our fellow corkmen are doing over the sea

eoinh
08/04/2003, 9:00 PM
welcome!

The reason i dont like celtic is because of all the irish who go over to scotland and support a scottish team and they think that makes them more irish. you dont get many scotish celtic fans coming over here to watch matchs and fair dues why should they?

AS for scottish people being British, it was actually the scotch who made the english accept the term British. The english refused the first act of union because they didnt want to be known as British! The English are Anglo-saxon/Germanic while the Scots, welsh and Cornish are British Celts. The word Briton actually has nothing to do with engand - its actually a celtic term

Colm
08/04/2003, 9:23 PM
The reason I can't stand Irish people supporting Celtic is simply because they do so over Irish teams. When City played Celtic a few years ago there were thousands of Cork people in the ground wearing Celtic jerseys, that makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Another reason is that I hate the youngfellas (and old fellas in certain cases!) who go around in Celtic jerseys spouting IRA rubbish in order to appear like a hard man and impress their friends. They think that it makes them proud Irish men when, in truth, it does the exact opposite.

Scotsman
09/04/2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys for that - Feedback is always appreciated.

I knew that the Strathclyde Britons were from the same Celtic clan as the Welsh - Most people still think of it as being English though, even in Scotland.

If you had to ask most people in Scotland they would not call themselves British but Scottish.

Yep can relate to what you are saying about the hardmen spouting the rebels - I do know a few people like that.

I can see why it annoys you all now - It's a shame that things were not less complicated - What gets me is people who are Scottish and support the Republic over Scotland - This is obviously because of Religion and they're association with Celtic.

I'm Scottish born and bred with a Scottish name - Maybe that make s a difference to my views - Don't know. I support Scotland first, Republic and any other Irish team and then Wales.

I'll never support England in anything that they do.

Going to perkhead to me is still very special - To be with so many people who love the same thing, share the same values is amazing - Just like going to an international game.

I would say the closest game to atmosphere like an Old Firm is Scotland V England - It's just oure hatred - Magic though!!

Lets us know the best atmosphere you've experienced - I heard the Gaelic sport is good for that.

eoinh
09/04/2003, 1:58 PM
youre mentioning of Gaelic Games after stirring up Celtic leads me to believe youre taking the **** and are from Ireland. ;)

Scotsman
09/04/2003, 3:34 PM
I'm not taking the P at all mate.

I merely asked if the Gaelic gmes had a great atmosphere as a Scottish reporter went to a Gealic game in Ireland and he reported that it was amazing.

I am far away I live just outside of Glasgow in Scotland.

Why did you take offence to that??

Was it maybe my wording??

If it was then accept my apologies - The last thing I want to do is offend anyone.

I don't know that much about Gaelic games - I know that they play Shinty and some others in the Highlands and some Lowlands as well of Scotland.

It's pretty big in Ireland is it not??

Thanks again - Robert

Bosco
09/04/2003, 9:59 PM
GAA is obviously huge over here being our national sport.It is the only amatuer game in the world that can take in over 80,000 people to a game.I was at the all-ireland semi-final last year and the atmosphere was amazing.Unfortunately most people who are big into Gaa wouldn't be interested in an el game and most people on this sight wouldn't be interested in gaa.

Scotsman
10/04/2003, 7:39 AM
Cool I want mention the GAA on this Forum again then.

What about the football games in Ireland - What's the average attendances?? - Probarly more than most teams outside the Old Firm get I would imagine.

Is the league only for the Republic or does it include Northern teams as well??

I don't that much about it - I'm sure I saw on Sky Sports a programme about Irish soccer - Or did I imagine that??

I know what is cool though - When the Republic play it's looks like the Celtic support.

Thanks

Robert:D

Shed End John
10/04/2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Scotsman
Lets us know the best atmosphere you've experienced - I heard the Gaelic sport is good for that.

IMO, the Munster Hurling Final in Thurles, Co. Tipperary in 1999 was one of the best atmospheres I've experienced. Cork, traditional yet down on their luck kingpins of hurling, against reigning All-Ireland Champions, Clare was the game. Cork hadn't won the Munster in 7 years, and as one of over 35,000 Cork fans there that day, I was proud to witness a shock result. Cork 1-15 (18 points) Clare 0-14 (14 points). Absolute class.
Also, Munster v Gloucester in the European Rugby Cup this year in Limerick.

Iarmhibhoy
15/04/2003, 6:17 PM
I am a Celtic fan and have been as long as i can remember and i cant understand the total anti Celtic begrudery that has been posted on these boards.
I can understand your issue with irish fans not supporting a local side but there are thousands of Celtic fans who support an el team as well, a lot more than Man u or Pool fans i'd say.
It also pishes me off to have to listen to Premiership and even some fellow Celtic fans spout crap about us and we, when they have never even gone to a game and have jumped on the bandwagon with a successful team.
It has become fashionable of late to wear a celtic jersey but i and thousands like me wore them and went to games and stuck by the Celts when we were muck, when we were bankrupt with a 100 year old ground and having won only one poxy cup in 10 years.
I believe Celtic have very important Irish connections and this should be celebrated but i know they are very much a Scottish team.
Celtic Park is an amazing place and i invite any of you to visit it and come back with a negative comment about the experience.
If any of you Longford town(some of you seem familar), Cork, Pats etc fans ever play the Celts in Parkhead you will get a bigger welcome than anywhere in the world.
I was "lucky" enough to see Longford Town play in Div 1 few years ago in front of maybe 150 loyal fans, now the avg. gate is what 1500, where did the 1350 life long, "local team supporting",Bucky drinkin fans come from?? (not singling out da Town but is only one i have experience with)
Touch of hypocrisy maybe lads??
Just because there are few Celtic fans who chant RA songs from barstool and know nothing about football in general or what theyre singin about but are using the Club as a platform for their bigotry, dont use this as an excuse to tar us all with the same brush. I and the vast majority of Celtic fans are as passionate and loyal as any el supporter or any supporter in the world for that matter.
Cheers and goodluck.

sorbothegreek
15/04/2003, 7:42 PM
A lot of those Longford fans that you've mentioned have been slowly weaned off British football by the hard work of the people involved with the local side.
I think the point that has to be made is that 10 years ago, Longford were winning on average 3-5 games per season. Manys the day i've stood in the rain and shyte, and seen Longford get hammered for the umpthteenth time that season, now dont tell me that wouldn't test the loyalty of the most ardent of any clubs fans. O.K. you stuck with Celtic when they were only winning the odd trophy, but they were probably still the second best team in their league, to compare the two is a little off i think.
If the product is available on your door and is worth seeing and you choose not to, thats where the arguement arrises. I dont know where you'r from, but if there's an Eircom League team near you who are doing their best to attract support, and again, you choose to ignore them in favour of a team from scotland, well, i'd like to hear your reasons why.

pete
16/04/2003, 9:08 AM
I think maybe people feed up with the Celtic are irish thing when their irish connections are in the distant past & are pretty much like any other UK plc.

I think you touched on the other issues yourself also.

I continue to be confused by people wearing Glasgow Celtic jerseys at Ireland games. Can anyone explion it???????

Schumi
16/04/2003, 9:45 AM
Originally posted by Iarmhibhoy
If any of you Longford town(some of you seem familar), Cork, Pats etc fans ever play the Celts in Parkhead you will get a bigger welcome than anywhere in the world. It's the 'welcome' they'll get in the home leg that is sickening.

Muppet
16/04/2003, 2:00 PM
I must confess to being a fan of British football. I see myself as a Celtic and Everton fan and a City supporter, in other words City first and Celtic and Everton second. If I can get to a City game at all and either of the other two are on tv, then it's the City game I choose. When I started watching football (my family are not from Cork and my father isn't interested in sport) I never knew there was such a thing as Cork City and the club was only a year old! I couldn't stop following Evertoin and The Celts if I wanted to. There's no substitute for going to the game live though!

pete
16/04/2003, 3:23 PM
Know someone who says he "supports" Aston Villa but be surprised if he could name half the team. Similarily discovered an Everton "fan" this year & would say he be in similar situation naming their team.

A lot of people start off supporting a UK team when they a kid but once start going to eL games leave that behind (in terms of priority anyway) as i've done myself...

yur man
16/04/2003, 3:41 PM
the problem that the league of ireland has is the same everywhere. i knew a guy from king's lynn in norfolk (east coast) who supported liverpool. king's lynn has a non league team and its nearest league team is norwich. he had a liverpool jersey, never been to any football match. he did have sky sports

i say follow as many teams as u like (man u, celtic, barca) but support yur local team

one more point. those irish fans who go to the lansdown road in celtic tops must hate it when we play scotland :p

Xlex
16/04/2003, 4:05 PM
Originally posted by yur man
one more point. those irish fans who go to the lansdown road in celtic tops must hate it when we play scotland :p

A guy arrives on here with some reasoned and well made points and you counter it with... the above...:rolleyes:

I, too 'supported' premiership footie and then Scottish footie and I think now that I have a local team to support, I now only 'follow' the Scottish and premiership clubs, I can't feel the same way about the telly as I do in the flansiro... I respect each clubs supporters and have great friends that are Celtic fan's but now I'm in the process of bringing one to the Bohs game...

It's a pity that when you make the effort (to bring someone to a game) and you're treated to an absolute muck game... Murphy's law innit...:rolleyes:

Iarmhibhoy
16/04/2003, 5:46 PM
I dont know where you'r from, but if there's an Eircom League team near you who are doing their best to attract support, and again, you choose to ignore them in favour of a team from scotland, well, i'd like to hear your reasons why.

I'm from midlands and there is an el team nearby. I've been to few games and will try to go to more this season but i do this this more to support a local team than anything else.

the first ever soccer game i seen live was Celtic-Dundalk friendly and i was amazed, i fell in love with Celtic, the class football they played, the mad always singin fans and the colour and passion on display. I have had some amazing times followin celtic and could never whole heartedly commit myself to another club, it just doesnt feel the same , it lacks that X factor or something, the feeling of standing singing in Paradise with the hairs standing on the back of your neck, of feeling that you are a part of something that you have immense pride in and that you have found the team you were born to support.

I will always have respect for any really "genuine" supporters (except maybe R@~gers)maybe more so for supporters of small, unfashionable teams who often dont make it easy to be a supporter but who are loyal regardless.

Iarmhibhoy
16/04/2003, 6:03 PM
O.K. you stuck with Celtic when they were only winning the odd trophy, but they were probably still the second best team in their league, to compare the two is a little off i think.

When i started supporting the Celts we were finishing outside the top 3 of a poor ten team league generally 15 to 20 points adrift of Aberdeen/govan shlords. The club had a good history but a crap present and a very dim future, we came incredibly close to going out of business and i think we would have if not for amazing supporters and Fergus McCann.
I often get asked (usually by pool/man u fans) who i support and when i say Celtic they invariably laugh and say something like
" oh sure i do too but who do you really support, in THE premiership like", like you have to be either Man u or pool supporter or u know nothing bout football. Cant imagine how they smirk at el supporters but it really ****es me off.
How much dedication does it take to follow a team thats been in or around top of league for ten years and plays the likes of Juve, Real and Munich on regular basis??

Colm
17/04/2003, 12:20 AM
you are a part of something that you have immense pride in and that you have found the team you were born to support.

You are Irish, right? So how the fcuk were you born to support a SCOTTISH team???:rolleyes:

A face
17/04/2003, 1:38 AM
I have to say first of all that i thought half through reading this, i thought it was a windup :rolleyes:

I am a Celtic fan and have been as long as i can remember and i cant understand the total anti Celtic begrudery that has been posted on these boards.

Get used to it ... cos it is a growing trend, not sad but true (and this is not an attack on you)

I can understand your issue with irish fans not supporting a local side

Fair enough ... because i personally do have an issue with it.

but there are thousands of Celtic fans who support an el team as well, a lot more than Man u or Pool fans i'd say.

And how does that make it better, seriously, do you think we should make an allowance for these fans over 'pool or manUre fans

It also pishes me off to have to listen to Premiership and even some fellow Celtic fans spout crap about us and we, when they have never even gone to a game and have jumped on the bandwagon with a successful team.

I have to agree with you, but i am still confused though, when does it become 'us' and 'we', before or after they pick the British team out of a lucky bag.

It has become fashionable of late to wear a celtic jersey

Thats not all mate, what is worse is that we now have Oirish fans screaming profanities at a player whom they thought was a rangers player at an international game in Landsdowne road, but they all got it wrong. Now that my friend is when 'fashion' goes horriblily wrong and we all look like fools.

but i and thousands like me wore them and went to games and stuck by the Celts when we were muck, when we were bankrupt with a 100 year old ground and having won only one poxy cup in 10 years.

I can understand following a British team because they are good, or even a more plausible place to give your support would be a Spainish or Italian team but you admit to following Selltic when they are muck. Man, you gave yourself not favours at all. Just offer it all up at this stage man, you'll get your place in heaven yet :)

I believe Celtic have very important Irish connections and this should be celebrated but i know they are very much a Scottish team.

Oh that auld chestnet, ..... if i had a yo-yo for everytime i heard that one, i'd be a great big balls of knots i tell ya. I was wondering when that one was going to come out of your sleve.
Man .... i dont believe you about all the Oirish lark, i know, you have a lump in your throat and you are graspin' for words, yeah yeah, a real tear jerker, but none the less .... I DONT BELIEVE YOU, all this Oirish connections lark is cr@p, infact i'd tell you what ever you want to hear if you would give me €50 for a jersey. Man ... if it were anything else, you'd say you were sucked in and be done with it.

Celebrated ... thats novelle !!

Celtic Park is an amazing place and i invite any of you to visit it and come back with a negative comment about the experience.

An invite none the less, an invite ... Chr!st, do i have to wear a suit.
Negative comment ... Ask the local council in Glasgow for that, long list of social problems to deal with, and all over a game of ball, hard to believe isn't, sure we're only having a laugh (and who cares ... we dont actually have to live there)

If any of you Longford town (some of you seem familar), Cork, Pats etc fans ever play the Celts in Parkhead you will get a bigger welcome than anywhere in the world.

I know .... i'll have my cheque book ready too. Buy a couple of them blow up shamrocks as a reminder or my little visit.

I was "lucky" enough to see Longford Town play in Div 1 few years ago in front of maybe 150 loyal fans, now the avg. gate is what 1500, where did the 1350 life long, "local team supporting",Bucky drinkin fans come from?? (not singling out da Town but is only one i have experience with)
Touch of hypocrisy maybe lads??

Hypocrisy ... it's a killer ain't it. Damned Hypocritians

Just because there are few Celtic fans who chant RA songs from barstool and know nothing about football in general or what theyre singin about but are using the Club as a platform for their bigotry, dont use this as an excuse to tar us all with the same brush.

Too late for that mate, anyway .... they dont just sing RA songs from barstools man, you should stand outside Parkhead for a home game, fookin' bigotry whole sale man, enough for Ireland and his mother, you'd have to hear it to believe it

I and the vast majority of Celtic fans are as passionate and loyal as any el supporter or any supporter in the world for that matter.
Cheers and goodluck.

I hear ya .... I hear ya, passion, loyal, haggis, the works .. just cant get enough.

eoinh
17/04/2003, 10:28 AM
BEING IRISH I KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THEIR RESULTS

COME ON BELFAST CELTIC ! COME ON LURGAN CELTIC !

THE MOST IMPORTANT CELTIC - CORK CELTIC. SADLY DEPARTED.

NOT MUCH TIME FOR GLASGOW CELTIC.

OR

CELTA VIGO.

(YOU DONT GET TOO MANY IRISH PEOPLE EXPRESSING THEIR NATIONALITY THROUGH SUPPORTING VIGO. HMMM, I WONDER WHY THAT IS?)

patsh
17/04/2003, 1:58 PM
................. Aberdeen/govan shlords.........
Aberdeen who?:confused:

Iarmhibhoy
18/04/2003, 3:15 PM
Funny how so much of the negative comments come from the cork boys, boy!
Your entire county seems to have a constant chip on their shoulders, wether its bout the kingdom kickin yer holes in the ga or this crap ye spout about "the real capital" or "republic of Cork".

The fact is were all entitled to support whoever the fook we want and if the team you supported were a bit more entertaining and successful maybe you'd have less energy to expend with negative comments about mine or anyone elses team.

Constructive or reasoned criticism i can take but not this muck.

If all your oirish arguments are taken to their conclusion we should all only watch or play Gaelic Football, Hurling or Handball our national sports, then we'd all be truly IRISH right?? Instead we choose to follow a foreign game so we're all OIRISH
Hail! Hail!

eoinh
18/04/2003, 3:42 PM

If all your oirish arguments are taken to their conclusion we should all only watch or play Gaelic Football, Hurling or Handball our national sports, then we'd all be truly IRISH right?? Instead we choose to follow a foreign game so we're all OIRISH
Hail! Hail!

NO it doesnt come down to that. if that was the reasoning we coudnt use phones, fly in airplanes or get out films from other countries.

However i would always hope that irish phone companies or irish airlines were the best in the world. if they werent i wouldnt go to scotland to talk on the phone over there.

Imagine not supporting an irish team because there not good enough (which may be a valid point) and then choosing Hibernian, which you seem to have done. Thats madness!! You could have chosen Real Madrid but you chose Hibs of Edinburgh. Smart choice boy. Funnily enough i think that Bohs and Shels are of a higher standard than Hibernian of Edinburgh. If more people like you supported them or city then they would be much better than them.

its just that second class image of ourselves which you seem to have.
Be a real football fan go to real live football matchs.

A face
18/04/2003, 4:10 PM
Funny how so much of the negative comments come from the cork boys, boy![B]

It being a prodomietly Cork support website .... you would think that you'd get that ... :rolleyes:

[B] Your entire county seems to have a constant chip on their shoulders, wether its bout the kingdom kickin yer holes in the ga or this crap ye spout about "the real capital" or "republic of Cork".[B]

That doesn't make sense but i'll reply anyway, man ..... kingdom kickin' our holes, do you want to do your homework first and then come back (consider it me giving you a handicap !!)

And the real capital ..... the whole country is up in arms over this like, can you all pipe down, Cork is a cool city with alot going on, come down and enjoy it, but dont knock us for being open minded and fun loving, .... in short ... Cork Rocks :D ... get over it !! :D

[B} The fact is were all entitled to support whoever the fook we want and if the team you supported were a bit more entertaining and successful maybe you'd have less energy to expend with negative comments about mine or anyone elses team.

Ah ... thats just sour grapes .... get over it already. Man .... i love supporting City ..... because no matter what you do or say .... it is mine by birth right, Irish rover is right .... all the way to Scotland ... you are the fool ... dont take it out on us. :rolleyes:

Constructive or reasoned criticism i can take but not this muck.

How nice ... we agree on something.

Hail! Hail!

Now you sir .... are being and idiot, give it more thought and you'll come up with something better can be taken as a rule only if there is actually something better to come up with ..... in this case ... i seriously doubt it, sad but soo sooo sad :rolleyes:

Slán

Iarmhibhoy
19/04/2003, 11:52 AM
Imagine not supporting an irish team because there not good enough (which may be a valid point) and then choosing Hibernian, which you seem to have done. Thats madness!! You could have chosen Real Madrid but you chose Hibs of Edinburgh. Smart choice boy. Funnily enough i think that Bohs and Shels are of a higher standard than Hibernian of Edinburgh. If more people like you supported them or city then they would be much better than them.

First of all this is about Celtic not Hibs.
Secondly i did not "choose" Celtic but as i said on first post it was the first live soccer match i seen and maybe if i had gone to a Mullingar athletic game and been as impressed i'd be supporting them now but i'm not.
I didnt look at the eircom league and turn my nose up at because it was ****e football.
I have been and will continue to attend el games in the future becuase i am a football fan but i am never going to change from beign a Celtic supporter first and foremost. Whatever you think of my reasons for this i know that i am as dedicated and genuine a supporter as any el supporter but it seems ye will never be convinced of this.
I think if you el supporters would like to attract new fans you are going about it the wrong way by attacking people who are genuine fans of (the dreaded) foreign teams, if people like myself attend a number of el games, give it a fair chance but dont "convert" or change allegiance fully what can you say, if the "product" as it was described earlier was good enough (not just in terms of standard of football but in atmosphere and feeling for the club) then surely it would be enough to keep us?

These foreign leagues have done much for the Ireland national team in welcoming irish players and giving them a chance to improve and develop at a higher standard (i agree with you in that outside the top 2 in Scotland there is not much gap between say Partick and Bohs but Partick are a poor side in that league wheras Bohs are the best the el has to offer)if the likes of Keane stayed loyal to Rockmount or Cobh would he have been player he was?
I know you could argue that if they all stayed at home in the el it would be a much stronger league but its just not gonna happen.

eoinh
19/04/2003, 1:52 PM
Mullingar dont play in the LOI.

Secondly, of course Keane should have gone to Man Utd, thats daft. But im of the opionion as well that he should have gone to Spain a few years ago to test himself against the top players week in, week out.

Only our very top players should go abroad. Theres no point in going to places like Bradford. Outside of Celtic and Rangers theres no diffference in quality between ireland and scotland.
British clubs aren't doing our players a service by taking them in. There not doing it out of love, its for there own benefit.

If you went abroad to see your first match, why in gods name did you choose celtic?
Personally i would have chosen Real or AC Milan.

To see real atmosphere why not go to the Bohs v city match on Tuesday.

BTW its only in Ireland that you get your kind of attitude. You dont get Danish supporting Bayern Munich fans, and fair dues to them.

On another point. World Soccer every month has an article called Talent Scout. This month it features Ireland. What it does is Lists a countrys top ten brightest international prospects. There are 3 from the eircom league (wes hoolahan, eamon zayed and kevin doyle) and one who just left here a month or two ago. A few years ago they would have all played in england. do your bit and make sure more of them start to play here.

patsh
19/04/2003, 1:53 PM
govan shlords

Seriously, Iarmhibhoy, what does this mean?:confused:

Iarmhibhoy
21/04/2003, 1:39 PM
If you went abroad to see your first match, why in gods name did you choose celtic?

Didnt go abroad it was preseason friendly in Ireland.

Mullingar dont play in the LOI.

I know that but they are a local side so should i not support them because of this (which is the whole basis of your argument is it not??) and not support say Athlone or Longford because they are bigger clubs.

As matter of interest and going of point for a minute whatever about Glen Crowe getting called into Ireland squad surely there is a Centre half in the el who could be push Gary Breen for a place. The man struggles to get a game in the worst defence in the priemership.

Iarmhibhoy
21/04/2003, 1:42 PM
Seriously, Iarmhibhoy, what does this mean?

Govan is the area in West Glasgow where Rangers are based.

Shlord is a derogatory term which any of the LTFC should be able explain.

eoinh
21/04/2003, 2:43 PM

If any of you Longford town(some of you seem familar), Cork, Pats etc fans ever play the Celts in Parkhead you will get a bigger welcome than anywhere in the world.

So youre a Glasgow Celtic fan for years and years and years? Funny, pats played in the champions league qualifyers in Glasgow about three years ago. Dont you remember that?

The chanting of the Pats fans is what you could hear on the tv.

Pats fans put on a great display at Turners Cross last week. They have what you call atmosphere. If youre a Celtic fan did you go the match in Glasgow Or Dublin? Funny you cant remember it.
Whos telling porkies?

A face
22/04/2003, 1:57 AM
Mullingar and not support say Athlone or Longford because they are bigger clubs.

The level of cr@p you are talking is just about to go off the scale (just a reminder to keep it in toe).

Bigger clubs were never the argument , it was the several million gallons of water that make up the Oirish sea and you crossing it to see a game of ball that you could just as easily see here.

As matter of interest and going of point for a minute whatever about Glen Crowe getting called into Ireland squad surely there is a Centre half in the el who could be push Gary Breen for a place. The man struggles to get a game in the worst defence in the priemership.

Oh ... thats right, change the subject cos you are losing miserably. That is just sad .... you come onto an eL messageboard, try to convince a few people that you know best, you realise you dont, wont admit it and then try and worm your way out of it, typical (or is this typical of Sell-Thick supporters ?? )
You really show your colours now my friend. :rolleyes: